Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Energy prices 18:13 - Aug 18 with 8269 viewsTreforys_Jack

Just a had a lovely email from British Gas offering me an exclusive electricity fixed rate. There are 4 adults in the house with 1 working from home, they are offering me a rate based on last year's usage of £3300, that's just for electricity. I know this has been building for some time, but does anyone have any explanation why we are paying so much for energy whilst the rest of Europe appear to have minimal increases. Is it brexit or fat cats really taking us to the cleaners and blaming covid, Ukraine and brexit. Also I saw Truss saying profit is not a dirty word, but surely this is a disgrace.
Energy prices on 18:36 - Aug 18 with 3947 viewsKilkennyjack

None of the essential services should be privatised.

Its dreadful that monies are given to shareholders rather than invested in the infrastructure.

This is a Tory created problem.

Beware of the Risen People

Energy prices on 18:39 - Aug 18 with 3949 viewsraynor94

Wow, that's some electricity use, do you use gas as well?

You give it out, you take it back it`s all part of the game
Poll: Happy to see Martin go

Energy prices on 18:40 - Aug 18 with 3947 viewsKeithHaynes

That’s over £500 a month !

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

Energy prices on 18:45 - Aug 18 with 3930 viewsTreforys_Jack

Energy prices on 18:39 - Aug 18 by raynor94

Wow, that's some electricity use, do you use gas as well?

Yes, I'd imagine if I stay on variable rates it will be a lot less, and they are trying it on. It stinks tbh
Energy prices on 18:52 - Aug 18 with 3905 viewsTreforys_Jack

Energy prices on 18:45 - Aug 18 by Treforys_Jack

Yes, I'd imagine if I stay on variable rates it will be a lot less, and they are trying it on. It stinks tbh

Based on 4800 kwh annual usage
Energy prices on 20:07 - Aug 18 with 3874 viewsAnotherJohn

Another British Gas email arrived today entitled "Information about your energy bill discount". For a second the fantastical thought entered my mind that BG might be doing something extra for its customers, but the message just repeated what we all know already about the Government's £400 for all households.
Energy prices on 20:20 - Aug 18 with 3857 viewsraynor94

Energy prices on 20:07 - Aug 18 by AnotherJohn

Another British Gas email arrived today entitled "Information about your energy bill discount". For a second the fantastical thought entered my mind that BG might be doing something extra for its customers, but the message just repeated what we all know already about the Government's £400 for all households.

Why can't they just take the money off the bill, instead of sending the money back to your bank account every month

Energy prices on 20:40 - Aug 18 with 3839 viewsmagicdaps10

Energy prices on 20:20 - Aug 18 by raynor94

Why can't they just take the money off the bill, instead of sending the money back to your bank account every month

It's interesting that the bills are rising, govermant money is being given to the public to then go into the bank account of the suppliers......that's £11200000000 based on 28 Million households.

What if MPs had shares in these companies, would this be classed as a way of laundering money!?

Poll: Are the owners doing enough for Swansea City

Login to get fewer ads

Energy prices on 20:53 - Aug 18 with 3832 viewsDr_Winston

Truth is energy prices across Europe are all high. The UK is exposed as it has more homes heated by gas and more electricity generated by gas than a lot of other countries. Other countries are increasing at a slower rate because our prices were lower to begin with.

Unfortunately the idiotic moves across the board to shy away from Nuclear Power, by some distance the most reliable and independent energy generation process has left an entire continent at the whims of Russia. Even the UK, a country which only imported a small amount of gas from there is f*cked because wholesale prices are now rising across the board.

If nothing else comes out of this situation I hope that it's a realisation at the highest levels that until Fusion is cracked then Fission is the way to go. Build more nuclear power stations. Small ones. Big ones. All over the place. End the dependence upon imported fossil fuel.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Energy prices on 20:58 - Aug 18 with 3822 viewsswan65split

I heard on the radio this week that its advisable not to go on the fixed rate ATM.

Also said its Leccy has gone sky high and not gas.
Energy prices on 21:05 - Aug 18 with 3819 viewsTreforys_Jack

Energy prices on 20:58 - Aug 18 by swan65split

I heard on the radio this week that its advisable not to go on the fixed rate ATM.

There's no way I'll be signing up the sooper dooper deal their offering me.

Anyone on a smart meter ? Pro's and con's ?
Energy prices on 21:13 - Aug 18 with 3808 viewsDr_Winston

Energy prices on 21:05 - Aug 18 by Treforys_Jack

There's no way I'll be signing up the sooper dooper deal their offering me.

Anyone on a smart meter ? Pro's and con's ?

Been on an electric smart meter for a year or so. To be honest other than not having to do readings I've noticed no difference whatsoever. The DD goes out every month regardless.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Energy prices on 21:22 - Aug 18 with 3795 viewsbuilthjack

Switch everything off that you don't need on.. Simple but effective.
You will save 30%.
So if your bill is going to be £3600, you will save yourself a grand.
Switch lights off, chargers, turn your printer off if not using, don't leave the telly on if you are not watching it. Use a battery radio rather than listen to the radio on the telly. Etc etc.

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

Energy prices on 22:39 - Aug 18 with 3742 viewsCatullus

Energy prices on 21:22 - Aug 18 by builthjack

You will save 30%.
Switch lights off, chargers, turn your printer off if not using, don't leave the telly on if you are not watching it. Use a battery radio rather than listen to the radio on the telly. Etc etc.

Batteries aren't cheap mind!

I've seen that turning off at the plug (not leaving on standby) will save you 5%.

Personally, our gas use is tiny, they charged us 3.68 last month, the heating has obviously not been on and we have an electric shower.

We've been oberpaying our bill a bit to try and build up a buffer. We are in a fixed tariff (170 per month which is about 10 quid too much) until April and 374 in credit today. We haven't had that 400 yet either. I told my wife it's doors and windows shut and fleecy blankets on the settee for us come November!
Trying to save leccy now is hard, my wife works from home and my son is on his xbox a lot. come next April it's going to hit us hard, the increase. Lets hope the government have done something worthwhile by then, whoever they elect as leader!

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Energy prices on 22:50 - Aug 18 with 3732 viewsTreforys_Jack

Energy prices on 21:22 - Aug 18 by builthjack

You will save 30%.

All good advice.
Energy prices on 22:51 - Aug 18 with 3730 viewsTreforys_Jack

Energy prices on 21:13 - Aug 18 by Dr_Winston

Been on an electric smart meter for a year or so. To be honest other than not having to do readings I've noticed no difference whatsoever. The DD goes out every month regardless.

Can you actually see how much you're using in real time?
Energy prices on 23:04 - Aug 18 with 3724 viewsmajorraglan

Energy prices on 22:39 - Aug 18 by Catullus

Batteries aren't cheap mind!

I've seen that turning off at the plug (not leaving on standby) will save you 5%.

Personally, our gas use is tiny, they charged us 3.68 last month, the heating has obviously not been on and we have an electric shower.

We've been oberpaying our bill a bit to try and build up a buffer. We are in a fixed tariff (170 per month which is about 10 quid too much) until April and 374 in credit today. We haven't had that 400 yet either. I told my wife it's doors and windows shut and fleecy blankets on the settee for us come November!
Trying to save leccy now is hard, my wife works from home and my son is on his xbox a lot. come next April it's going to hit us hard, the increase. Lets hope the government have done something worthwhile by then, whoever they elect as leader!

I’m on a SV rate after coming off a deal last year, wasn’t able/ quick enough to grab a deal and within a week or so Martin Lewis was advising people not to fix. My payments have doubled and they’ll double again by January.
The government have to grip this, if they don’t the economy will collapse and there’ll be carnage. Putin is turning off the gas and I suspect he’s trying to apply pressure to the West to try and stem the support for Ukraine. If the Ukrainians are isolated and lose the West’s support they’ll be steam rollered.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/whats-on/food-drink-news/much-loved-welsh-restaura
Energy prices on 06:46 - Aug 19 with 3676 viewsDr_Winston

Energy prices on 22:51 - Aug 18 by Treforys_Jack

Yes. There's a little device that displays the data. You can see an immediate jump if you put the kettle on for example.

Energy prices on 07:53 - Aug 19 with 3641 viewsraynor94

Energy prices on 22:51 - Aug 18 by Treforys_Jack

Yes, I've had one for a few years and find them great, they really do help you budget, as you can actually see what each appliance costs you

Energy prices on 10:36 - Aug 19 with 3618 viewsCatullus

Energy prices on 07:53 - Aug 19 by raynor94

Yes, I've had one for a few years and find them great, they really do help you budget, as you can actually see what each appliance costs you

We used to have one and we do have smart meter capability but we don't use it. As long as we can still afford to put money in the savings every month we don't worry too much.

We do try and make savings where we can though but I'm not really into causing more stress because my wife has several cups of tea a day or if I want Coffee and toast! besides, I'm not giving her an excuse not to iron

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Energy prices on 10:45 - Aug 19 with 3606 viewsKeithHaynes

Boiling kettles, they cost so much !

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

Energy prices on 11:36 - Aug 19 with 3591 viewsCountyJim

You can do all you like to try and save but they've chucked up the standing charges so high you will save very little

These standing charges are a total rip off absolute joke
Energy prices on 12:14 - Aug 19 with 3574 viewscontroversial_jack

Do you really need to see that? Surely, if you put a kettle on , it's because you do it for a reason. You aren't going to stop doing it just because it registers on a meter
Energy prices on 12:26 - Aug 19 with 3565 viewsLuther27

Energy prices on 20:58 - Aug 18 by swan65split

I’m with Octopus who pride themselves in telling me that 100% of my electricity is supplied from renewables.
I must have missed the massive increase in wind and solar costs.
Energy prices on 12:29 - Aug 19 with 3563 viewsCountyJim

Energy prices on 12:26 - Aug 19 by Luther27

I’m with Octopus who pride themselves in telling me that 100% of my electricity is supplied from renewables.
I must have missed the massive increase in wind and solar costs.

Yes wind has had a massive pay rise the sun is threatening strike action
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024