Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
How long would you give Russell Martin to turn things around? 10:04 - Aug 23 with 6295 viewscadleigh

How long would you give Russell Martin to turn things around?

Your Vote:

You need to be logged in to vote on our site polls

Poll: How long would you give Russell Martin to turn things around?

How long would you give Russell Martin to turn things around? on 10:07 - Aug 23 with 3949 viewscadleigh

Genuinely not another peg for a dig at Martin, I am genuinely interested in knowing the views of those who still believe ‘the process’ could deliver for us

How long would you give Russell Martin to turn things around? on 10:54 - Aug 23 with 3903 viewsWhiterockin

It is not up to us but the owners, we have very little say in the matter. As long as RM is producing players to sell at a profit enabling the owners to break even I can't see them removing him. Clearly the owners have different aspirations to the supporters, this needs to change before we can progress.

EDIT
And he's cheap.
[Post edited 23 Aug 2022 10:55]
How long would you give Russell Martin to turn things around? on 11:02 - Aug 23 with 3864 viewsDr_Parnassus

How long would you give Russell Martin to turn things around? on 10:54 - Aug 23 by Whiterockin

It is not up to us but the owners, we have very little say in the matter. As long as RM is producing players to sell at a profit enabling the owners to break even I can't see them removing him. Clearly the owners have different aspirations to the supporters, this needs to change before we can progress.

EDIT
And he's cheap.

He didn’t produce Downes.

Downes was playing at that sort of performance level when at Ipswich, they all thought he was destined for the Premier League (as did I, I said so on this very forum before he came here).

We signed him, acting as the middle man to test him at a higher level, he did well as expected and was sold on.

You don’t need to be Clough to do that, you would have to be utterly inept to mess it up (PE teacher put in charge type inept). In fact it’s been our business model regardless of who was manager, and we have had some awful ones.

The trick is to do that and actually be a decent manager that achieves things, or even gets close to looking like you can will do.
[Post edited 23 Aug 2022 11:04]

Swansea Independent Poster of the Year 2021 and 2022.
Poll: Would you swap Ayew for Piroe?

How long would you give Russell Martin to turn things around? on 11:07 - Aug 23 with 3852 viewsDr_Parnassus

But to answer the question.

I’d get rid now.

In order to turn things around you have to do something differently. We all know he is unwilling to do anything differently, so all you are doing is wasting precious time.

When I think he will go however is in the World Cup break, assuming we have the Piroe money and assuming he’s continued being utterly inept.

Will that be too late? Time will tell.

How long would you give Russell Martin to turn things around? on 11:19 - Aug 23 with 3842 viewscadleigh

How long would you give Russell Martin to turn things around? on 10:54 - Aug 23 by Whiterockin

EDIT
And he's cheap.

The ultimate decision will be made by the Board, not by the shareholders. Julian Winter (who I don’t think has a stake in the company) will have a vote in the decision, Mindy Kaling won’t (although she might well be consulted). And the Board’s decision will be at least partly driven by how supporters like us respond: on social media, in the ground, at the bars and the club shop. They certainly got rid of Bradley faster than they would have if supporters hadn’t reacted. Possibly Laudrup too.

Right now, we only have Martin’s word for it that there’s no money for purchases or loans. That’s a pretty damning indictment of Winter in particular and the rest of the Board in general, who should be showing more leadership right now, but it doesn’t make Martin a reliable narrator (we know he isn’t). So I’m taking his comments with a large pinch of salt.

How long would you give Russell Martin to turn things around? on 13:36 - Aug 23 with 3743 viewscadleigh

No one currently willing to give him longer than the international break. That's six games. Two of them against sides predicted by the bookies to be in the top 6 come the end of the season, three mid-table and one expected to struggle. Those games, on top of the ones we've played so far, should tell us everything we need to know about where we are heading this season.

How long would you give Russell Martin to turn things around? on 13:49 - Aug 23 with 3729 viewsPawelAbbott

How long would you give Russell Martin to turn things around? on 13:36 - Aug 23 by cadleigh

No one currently willing to give him longer than the international break. That's six games. Two of them against sides predicted by the bookies to be in the top 6 come the end of the season, three mid-table and one expected to struggle. Those games, on top of the ones we've played so far, should tell us everything we need to know about where we are heading this season.

That is almost a quarter of the way through the season.
Over the last 10 games we have managed 8 points.
That means we are on course for 9 points after 11 games.
35 games left to play.
We need around 70 points to make the play offs. 61 points from 35.1.75 points per game. That's a tough ask for any incoming manager.
The sooner he goes the better. You have to be a pretty awful manager to average less than 0.8 points per game. We couldn't do much worse than what we gave got
How long would you give Russell Martin to turn things around? on 14:58 - Aug 23 with 3683 viewsReslovenSwan1

Fans may not have digested that expectations and objectives may have changed.

Garrick Joseph Whittaker were not loaned out because Martin could not use them but because it saves £500k. Brandon Cooper to be added to the list.

Swansea has an academy funded by the club. So who are stepping up this year? Congreve for sure, Cotterill perhaps. Abdullai Thomas.

Who is playing from the 19-22 group . Ollie Cooper, Benda, Cullen, MacFadyan maybe.

Bennet and Fulton have a year left. Bennett might have even another year if he plays again.

"That is what you have got mate get on with it. Make sure we are still in the Championship next June 2023. Make the assets sweat. Good luck.
[Post edited 23 Aug 2022 14:59]

Wise sage since Toshack era

Login to get fewer ads

How long would you give Russell Martin to turn things around? on 15:08 - Aug 23 with 3653 viewsDr_Parnassus

How long would you give Russell Martin to turn things around? on 14:58 - Aug 23 by ReslovenSwan1

Fans may not have digested that expectations and objectives may have changed.

Garrick Joseph Whittaker were not loaned out because Martin could not use them but because it saves £500k. Brandon Cooper to be added to the list.

Swansea has an academy funded by the club. So who are stepping up this year? Congreve for sure, Cotterill perhaps. Abdullai Thomas.

Who is playing from the 19-22 group . Ollie Cooper, Benda, Cullen, MacFadyan maybe.

Bennet and Fulton have a year left. Bennett might have even another year if he plays again.

"That is what you have got mate get on with it. Make sure we are still in the Championship next June 2023. Make the assets sweat. Good luck.
[Post edited 23 Aug 2022 14:59]

They have only changed because the manager we have at the helm is so awful at picking up points. As a squad of players, it is one of the most expensively assembled in the league and is paid an amount that most of the league could only dream of.

I would liken it to taking a flight from London to New York. It should get there no problem, it’s a $100m airliner - but the captain is absolutely drunk and has no qualifications. He’s shouting through the PA system that everything is going to be fine and the plunging out of the sky every few seconds is “just part of the process”.

Expectations and hopes of arriving safely have dramatically changed, not because they should - but because of the inept man at the helm.

How long would you give Russell Martin to turn things around? on 17:16 - Aug 23 with 3563 viewsSTID2017

How long would you give Russell Martin to turn things around? on 15:08 - Aug 23 by Dr_Parnassus

They have only changed because the manager we have at the helm is so awful at picking up points. As a squad of players, it is one of the most expensively assembled in the league and is paid an amount that most of the league could only dream of.

I would liken it to taking a flight from London to New York. It should get there no problem, it’s a $100m airliner - but the captain is absolutely drunk and has no qualifications. He’s shouting through the PA system that everything is going to be fine and the plunging out of the sky every few seconds is “just part of the process”.

Expectations and hopes of arriving safely have dramatically changed, not because they should - but because of the inept man at the helm.

So if the owners stumped up the money sack Martin and his assistants ( they won't), what manager worth his salt is going to come to the club ?
Bearing in mind a new manager cannot spend any money, cannot sign anyone and our squad is lacking at least two or three players to make a fist of going for the playoffs?

"Sanity and happiness are an impossible combination" - Mark Twain
Poll: Who Would You Want As Captain For Swans ?

How long would you give Russell Martin to turn things around? on 17:36 - Aug 23 with 3534 viewsonehunglow

How long would you give Russell Martin to turn things around? on 17:16 - Aug 23 by STID2017

So if the owners stumped up the money sack Martin and his assistants ( they won't), what manager worth his salt is going to come to the club ?
Bearing in mind a new manager cannot spend any money, cannot sign anyone and our squad is lacking at least two or three players to make a fist of going for the playoffs?

One with enough on the bank and one who has guts enough for a real challenge

What we really need is to find a nice friendly billionaire who wants to increase the profile of south west Wales.

Terry Matthews would have been ideal

We are not a bad option although Martin is slowly strangling the spirit .

If he s not happy then walk away. He has no emotional attachment to the City or club .

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

How long would you give Russell Martin to turn things around? on 18:18 - Aug 23 with 3486 viewsSTID2017

How long would you give Russell Martin to turn things around? on 17:36 - Aug 23 by onehunglow

One with enough on the bank and one who has guts enough for a real challenge

What we really need is to find a nice friendly billionaire who wants to increase the profile of south west Wales.

Terry Matthews would have been ideal

We are not a bad option although Martin is slowly strangling the spirit .

If he s not happy then walk away. He has no emotional attachment to the City or club .

Agree with Terry Matthews and his name has been mooted before, but apparently he has no interest in investing his hard earned money in any football club.
Thing is if Martin walks then his number two will probably step up.
Not sure he has the experience?
If the board sack them all en masses, I cannot see us attracting a decent manager to come to a basket case of a club, with no money to spend unless key players are sold.
Even then there is no guarantee any funds received would be used to strengthen.
May just be used to make the club look financially more viable and attractive to potential new buyers ?

How long would you give Russell Martin to turn things around? on 18:36 - Aug 23 with 3468 viewscadleigh

How long would you give Russell Martin to turn things around? on 18:18 - Aug 23 by STID2017

Agree with Terry Matthews and his name has been mooted before, but apparently he has no interest in investing his hard earned money in any football club.
If the board sack them all en masses, I cannot see us attracting a decent manager to come to a basket case of a club, with no money to spend unless key players are sold.
May just be used to make the club look financially more viable and attractive to potential new buyers ?

I don’t really buy into this idea that no decent manager would be interested in taking the job if Martin left. Martin slipped that one into his recent interview with Wales Online: “We came when not many others wanted to take on the challenge.” That little gem hasn’t had much attention, but IMO it’s up there with ‘I’ll turn Swansea into a proper club’ (I am paraphrasing). Translation: you are lucky to have me, you should be grateful, stop complaining and get back in line.

I bet there are loads of managers who would be interested in taking on a second tier team with the likes of Obafemi, Piroe, Allen. If they succeeded (and challenging for the play-offs would be success this season after the start we have had) they’d cover themselves in glory, and if they failed, everyone would say it was the mess that Martin left that was responsible.

How long would you give Russell Martin to turn things around? on 18:50 - Aug 23 with 3454 viewsSTID2017

How long would you give Russell Martin to turn things around? on 18:36 - Aug 23 by cadleigh

I don’t really buy into this idea that no decent manager would be interested in taking the job if Martin left. Martin slipped that one into his recent interview with Wales Online: “We came when not many others wanted to take on the challenge.” That little gem hasn’t had much attention, but IMO it’s up there with ‘I’ll turn Swansea into a proper club’ (I am paraphrasing). Translation: you are lucky to have me, you should be grateful, stop complaining and get back in line.

I bet there are loads of managers who would be interested in taking on a second tier team with the likes of Obafemi, Piroe, Allen. If they succeeded (and challenging for the play-offs would be success this season after the start we have had) they’d cover themselves in glory, and if they failed, everyone would say it was the mess that Martin left that was responsible.

Good post and very good points.
I also read the part about not many others would take it etc.
If Martin stays and achieved a top 6 finish then that would be acceptable.
A new manager would have some grace but we still need to be looking at a top ten finish.
Higher than that and a new manager will have done well..
Some of the names that get bandied about as replacements ( Dyche for one, can't remember the others ) are pie in the sky though

How long would you give Russell Martin to turn things around? on 19:35 - Aug 23 with 3401 viewsReslovenSwan1

How long would you give Russell Martin to turn things around? on 18:18 - Aug 23 by STID2017

Welsh business people would look at the illogical attitude of the fans to Huw jenkins and not waste their time on an entitled rabble like that.

He more than anyone took the valuation of the fans group to 100 times that invested (10,000%) and put TWO US buyers in front of them with cash to burn. They messed up and ended up trying to sue him and other sellers. They messed that up as well (predictably).

Toxin narratives work for the weak of mind.

Wise sage since Toshack era

How long would you give Russell Martin to turn things around? on 19:49 - Aug 23 with 3389 viewsvetchonian

How long would you give Russell Martin to turn things around? on 18:50 - Aug 23 by STID2017

Good post and very good points.
I also read the part about not many others would take it etc.
If Martin stays and achieved a top 6 finish then that would be acceptable.
A new manager would have some grace but we still need to be looking at a top ten finish.
Higher than that and a new manager will have done well..
Some of the names that get bandied about as replacements ( Dyche for one, can't remember the others ) are pie in the sky though

I'd be more than happy should Martin remain and we achieved a top 6 finish but do you still believe he is capable of delivering that?

we havent won at home since March...and have one just 1 game in our last 12

Poll: Will CCFC win a game this season?

How long would you give Russell Martin to turn things around? on 20:06 - Aug 23 with 3376 viewsbuilthjack

Add another section to the poll. Put until the World Cup.

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

How long would you give Russell Martin to turn things around? on 21:41 - Aug 23 with 3345 viewsSTID2017

How long would you give Russell Martin to turn things around? on 20:06 - Aug 23 by builthjack

Add another section to the poll. Put until the World Cup.

Not a bad idea.
Perhaps more realistic than the September date.
Although suppose the poll is asking how long posters would give, not the club ?

How long would you give Russell Martin to turn things around? on 21:58 - Aug 23 with 3337 viewsPawelAbbott

How long would you give Russell Martin to turn things around? on 18:36 - Aug 23 by cadleigh

I didn't notice that he had said that.
Is he trying to say that not many people wanted to take over a £500k a year job that the previous season were 90 minutes away from it being a £1m+ a year?
One of the few jobs in the world where they pay you up even if you fail badly at it?
The more the guy opens his mouth, the more I dislike him
How long would you give Russell Martin to turn things around? on 22:08 - Aug 23 with 3325 viewsSTID2017

How long would you give Russell Martin to turn things around? on 19:49 - Aug 23 by vetchonian

I'd be more than happy should Martin remain and we achieved a top 6 finish but do you still believe he is capable of delivering that?

we havent won at home since March...and have one just 1 game in our last 12

Not sure he can.
However unless he walks or is sacked then we can only hope

How long would you give Russell Martin to turn things around? on 22:17 - Aug 23 with 3320 viewsFireboy2

How long would you give Russell Martin to turn things around? on 22:08 - Aug 23 by STID2017

Not sure he can.
However unless he walks or is sacked then we can only hope

You never know he might play a different system 😳
How long would you give Russell Martin to turn things around? on 22:25 - Aug 23 with 3311 viewsbuilthjack

How long would you give Russell Martin to turn things around? on 22:17 - Aug 23 by Fireboy2

You never know he might play a different system 😳

Newport tonight played a 4-2-2-2.
They beat Portsmouth.

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

How long would you give Russell Martin to turn things around? on 23:12 - Aug 23 with 3287 viewsFireboy2

How long would you give Russell Martin to turn things around? on 22:25 - Aug 23 by builthjack

Newport tonight played a 4-2-2-2.
They beat Portsmouth.

Great, that would suit our lack of pace 👌
How long would you give Russell Martin to turn things around? on 23:53 - Aug 23 with 3263 viewsDr_Parnassus

How long would you give Russell Martin to turn things around? on 17:16 - Aug 23 by STID2017

Depends how quickly they do it and how far he’s let us drift.

Swansea have one of the biggest budgets in the championship. I don’t think people realise how little most teams spend.

Some haven’t spent a penny in years. Should we sell Piroe for £10m, use £2m to sack Russ and his team (guess). I’m pretty sure the new manager will get £2-3m to spend on players which will again catapult to the top budgets in the league.

The rest we can cover some more shortfall.

How long would you give Russell Martin to turn things around? on 09:32 - Aug 24 with 3183 viewsonehunglow

How long would you give Russell Martin to turn things around? on 23:53 - Aug 23 by Dr_Parnassus

Depends how quickly they do it and how far he’s let us drift.

Swansea have one of the biggest budgets in the championship. I don’t think people realise how little most teams spend.

Some haven’t spent a penny in years. Should we sell Piroe for £10m, use £2m to sack Russ and his team (guess). I’m pretty sure the new manager will get £2-3m to spend on players which will again catapult to the top budgets in the league.

The rest we can cover some more shortfall.

Maybe fans should make it that uncomfortable for him that he feels leaving is the bet option.
He record,his style of non playing,his misplaced arrogance would not be tolerated at most clubs.

Imagine walking into Newcastle United ,for example,and saying HE would be making them a proper club .

I read it was taken out of context but words are words and they were used in the context of seeing us improve .

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024