Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Motorway Charging Points for EVs 23:19 - Aug 13 with 2957 viewsJACKMANANDBOY

So there are different types of charging points for vehicles like Tesla's and others. Are the fooking thick idiots who make policy decisions in Westminster and the Senedd are incapable of having a standard for charging equipment?

We have complete and utter tawts making crap decisions.

"Here Are the EVs That Can Charge at Tesla Superchargers Starting in 2024" https://uk.pcmag.com/cars-auto/147531/here-are-the-evs-that-can-charge-at-tesla-
[Post edited 13 Aug 2023 23:21]

Besian Idrizaj Forever a Jack
Poll: When will Duff Revert to 4 at the Back

Motorway Charging Points for EVs on 23:46 - Aug 13 with 2590 viewsPacemaker

All modern EV’s have CCS chargers/charging ports throughout Europe. The figment is exactly the same throughout Europe and most of the world other than the USA.

Tesla have by far and away the most effective, cost effective and numerous chargers in the world.

Tesla paid and built their network worldwide to make their cars far more attractive to potential buyers, they knew leaving it to governments or business would be too slow and probably not good enough.

Now Tesla have allowed owners of other EV’s to charge at some of their chargers this will benefit owners of EV’s but probably damage the competition for Tesla in the charging market or cause them to lower their prices/up their game to compete with Tesla.

Motorway services in S Wales are well served with EV chargers from a number of suppliers, it’s the A roads in the mid and west Wales areas where there is a gap.

Life is an adventure or nothing at all.

Motorway Charging Points for EVs on 07:31 - Aug 14 with 2552 viewsJACKMANANDBOY

https://www.zap-map.com/ev-guides/connector-types#:~:text=CCS%20compatible%20mod

Motorway Charging Points for EVs on 08:48 - Aug 14 with 2516 viewsPacemaker

The Nissan Leaf was introduced in 2010 and was the first proper attempt at an EV, all other EV’s use CCS.

PHEV - Plug in hybrids are nor really EV’s as they rely on a petrol engine so only use electric power at very low speed and over a very small range. They shouldn’t use anything other than a slow charger as the battery is so small and can only accept very low power at a low speed.

There are various different type of chargers eg
Slow chargers at home where you leave the vehicle overnight and slowly trickle charge.
Rapid where you want to leave the vehicle for a few hours ie at work, shopping, night out etc and can get a fairly quick charge but over a few hours and rapid chargers where you want to get as much charge in as quickly as possible ie such as a motorway services or trunk roads.

I charge my car at home once or twice a week depending on mileage i always do this overnight on a cheap tariff and its always full when i start my journey, i can usually get about 250 miles on a full charge which is plenty for me.

If i do a long journey i use rapid chargers when i go to use the loo which is usually about every few hours and about 200 miles or so. Would never go back to petrol now, love my EV.

Motorway Charging Points for EVs on 09:00 - Aug 14 with 2515 viewsBoundy

Motorway Charging Points for EVs on 23:46 - Aug 13 by Pacemaker

All modern EV’s have CCS chargers/charging ports throughout Europe. The figment is exactly the same throughout Europe and most of the world other than the USA.

Tesla have by far and away the most effective, cost effective and numerous chargers in the world.

Tesla paid and built their network worldwide to make their cars far more attractive to potential buyers, they knew leaving it to governments or business would be too slow and probably not good enough.

Now Tesla have allowed owners of other EV’s to charge at some of their chargers this will benefit owners of EV’s but probably damage the competition for Tesla in the charging market or cause them to lower their prices/up their game to compete with Tesla.

Motorway services in S Wales are well served with EV chargers from a number of suppliers, it’s the A roads in the mid and west Wales areas where there is a gap.

I'm guessing the motorway services will be charging 40 to 50p more than non motorway garages

"In a free society, the State is the servant of the people—not the master."

Motorway Charging Points for EVs on 09:10 - Aug 14 with 2511 viewsonehunglow

Motorway Charging Points for EVs on 09:00 - Aug 14 by Boundy

I'm guessing the motorway services will be charging 40 to 50p more than non motorway garages

I’m guessing if people rally take up evs then motorway service chargers wouldn’t be able to cope with the number. Thousands would have to exit then motorway to find a charging point.
EVs can bugger off .

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Motorway Charging Points for EVs on 09:38 - Aug 14 with 2505 viewscontroversial_jack

Motorway Charging Points for EVs on 09:10 - Aug 14 by onehunglow

I’m guessing if people rally take up evs then motorway service chargers wouldn’t be able to cope with the number. Thousands would have to exit then motorway to find a charging point.
EVs can bugger off .

There would have to be as many charging points as there are petrol pumps. More probably as it takes longer to charge or there will be endless queues.

The grid won't be able to cope, and EVs are not selling well in this country. I think ppl are slowly seeing those this climate change nbonsense
Motorway Charging Points for EVs on 09:45 - Aug 14 with 2499 viewsonehunglow

Motorway Charging Points for EVs on 09:38 - Aug 14 by controversial_jack

There would have to be as many charging points as there are petrol pumps. More probably as it takes longer to charge or there will be endless queues.

The grid won't be able to cope, and EVs are not selling well in this country. I think ppl are slowly seeing those this climate change nbonsense

An electrical engineer told me recently the Grid IS unable to cope and will be unable to support the planned increase in charging stations.
It cannot be done.
If EV sales increased 25 % ,the system would collapse.
It is madness

Motorway Charging Points for EVs on 09:48 - Aug 14 with 2498 viewscontroversial_jack

Motorway Charging Points for EVs on 09:45 - Aug 14 by onehunglow

An electrical engineer told me recently the Grid IS unable to cope and will be unable to support the planned increase in charging stations.
It cannot be done.
It is madness

The grid would have to double it's capacity at least, and who is going to pay for that, if it is indeed possible?
Login to get fewer ads

Motorway Charging Points for EVs on 09:51 - Aug 14 with 2494 viewsonehunglow

Motorway Charging Points for EVs on 09:48 - Aug 14 by controversial_jack

The grid would have to double it's capacity at least, and who is going to pay for that, if it is indeed possible?

Jeeez.
Us agreeing!

This could restart mankind

Motorway Charging Points for EVs on 10:03 - Aug 14 with 2489 viewscontroversial_jack

Motorway Charging Points for EVs on 09:51 - Aug 14 by onehunglow

Jeeez.
Us agreeing!

This could restart mankind

You can do it when you try
Motorway Charging Points for EVs on 10:06 - Aug 14 with 2485 viewsonehunglow

Motorway Charging Points for EVs on 10:03 - Aug 14 by controversial_jack

You can do it when you try

I’ve half a mound to get a horse.
Plenty of livery places around here and drivers give way to.
You can have a dump anywhere too.
( sorry Res)

Motorway Charging Points for EVs on 13:10 - Aug 14 with 2453 viewsPacemaker

Grid can cope, the rest of the stuff you have posted is nonsense.

This same conversation took place a century ago when ICE vehicles began replacing horse drawn vehicles, they will never have fuel in the countryside whilst hay is available everywhere.

The world has moved on, most vehicles are charged overnight, i am currently being paid by the grid to take excess energy into my home battery and EV.

The main issue here is that ICE are polluting the planet and something needs to be done, its not about you its about the future inhabitants of this planet that we should change our mindset.

Motorway Charging Points for EVs on 14:36 - Aug 14 with 2440 viewsonehunglow

Motorway Charging Points for EVs on 13:10 - Aug 14 by Pacemaker

This same conversation took place a century ago when ICE vehicles began replacing horse drawn vehicles, they will never have fuel in the countryside whilst hay is available everywhere.

The world has moved on, most vehicles are charged overnight, i am currently being paid by the grid to take excess energy into my home battery and EV.

The main issue here is that ICE are polluting the planet and something needs to be done, its not about you its about the future inhabitants of this planet that we should change our mindset.

Nonsense my arris
It's the reason why many eschew EVs
You love em , that s fine
The Grid isn't able to cope with a significant take up of EVs
Good luck, thanks and goodbye

Motorway Charging Points for EVs on 15:00 - Aug 14 with 2435 viewsJACKMANANDBOY

The arguments are not simple.

Volvo state that it can take many years to payback the CO2 used to produce a new electric car. This excludes the impact of all the plastics, precious metals and other man made materials that make up a new EV.

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/cars/article-10161697/Volvo-says-electric-ca

For example my son drives about 4,000 miles a year in a year old Mazda 3 (122CO"e per KM). At the current rate it may take him 15 years to pay back the CO2 alone if he brought a new electric car without considering the other impacts of the materials needed to make a new car and battery.

So should he buy a new electric car now and another in 15 years or wait 15 years? If he buys an EV how long will the battery last? What will be the CO2 impact of making another battery say after 10 years?

Motorway Charging Points for EVs on 15:28 - Aug 14 with 2430 viewsonehunglow

Motorway Charging Points for EVs on 15:00 - Aug 14 by JACKMANANDBOY

The arguments are not simple.

Volvo state that it can take many years to payback the CO2 used to produce a new electric car. This excludes the impact of all the plastics, precious metals and other man made materials that make up a new EV.

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/cars/article-10161697/Volvo-says-electric-ca

For example my son drives about 4,000 miles a year in a year old Mazda 3 (122CO"e per KM). At the current rate it may take him 15 years to pay back the CO2 alone if he brought a new electric car without considering the other impacts of the materials needed to make a new car and battery.

So should he buy a new electric car now and another in 15 years or wait 15 years? If he buys an EV how long will the battery last? What will be the CO2 impact of making another battery say after 10 years?

And will hydrogen cars be the future after all.
It is a mess
Instead of queueing for petrol / diesel , imagine punters turning up en masse at Strensham to charge their cars

Motorway Charging Points for EVs on 16:11 - Aug 14 with 2417 viewscontroversial_jack

Regardless whether they are charged overnight when millions are doing this - the ones who don't live in terraced houses or flats, plus those at service areas, the grid will not cope.

Co2 is not a pollutant, it's clear, odourless and is the basis of all life.It's essential to plant life and everything else around us
Motorway Charging Points for EVs on 17:08 - Aug 14 with 2390 viewsPacemaker

Motorway Charging Points for EVs on 16:11 - Aug 14 by controversial_jack

Regardless whether they are charged overnight when millions are doing this - the ones who don't live in terraced houses or flats, plus those at service areas, the grid will not cope.

Co2 is not a pollutant, it's clear, odourless and is the basis of all life.It's essential to plant life and everything else around us

Try inhaling CO2 and see how that goes, that Volvo study has been withdrawn by Volvo as untrue, i agree you shouldn’t get rid of a perfectly good car if it serves its purpose carry on until end of life,

Hydrogen is not the answer for motor vehicles but it might be for plant, HGV and PSV, otherwise electric BEV are the only current solution, I worked in the pipeline industry for many years where anyone will tell you the issues with trying to transport H2.

Tesla’s have been around for well over 12 years as a mainstream manufacturer there are plenty of Tesla’s around with in excess of 2-500,000 miles as a result of being used as Ubers etc still going strong.

I am not forcing anyone to ditch ICE for BEV but get your facts straight first.

Motorway Charging Points for EVs on 17:21 - Aug 14 with 2390 viewsonehunglow

Motorway Charging Points for EVs on 16:11 - Aug 14 by controversial_jack

Millions do not have a garage nor any place to put a charging unit.
Imagine a typical Tonypandy street with every car charging overnight !
It ain’t gonna happen,it never was .

Being totally reliant on any utility is fraught with danger

Motorway Charging Points for EVs on 17:32 - Aug 14 with 2378 viewsmajorraglan

Motorway Charging Points for EVs on 09:45 - Aug 14 by onehunglow

It cannot be done.
It is madness

It’s mental, the government have been pushing this a while but the infrastructure is miles behind. The lack of capacity is outrageous, there’s no joined up thinking at the top table. Renewable sites are being quoted 10 years before they can get connected to the grid - it’s mental.
[Post edited 14 Aug 2023 17:33]
Motorway Charging Points for EVs on 17:55 - Aug 14 with 2362 viewsonehunglow

Motorway Charging Points for EVs on 17:32 - Aug 14 by majorraglan

It’s mental, the government have been pushing this a while but the infrastructure is miles behind. The lack of capacity is outrageous, there’s no joined up thinking at the top table. Renewable sites are being quoted 10 years before they can get connected to the grid - it’s mental.
[Post edited 14 Aug 2023 17:33]

To buy an EV means one is 100% sold on the concept.
I’ve thought about it myself but common sense dictated
Pace is convinced and that’s fine .

Motorway Charging Points for EVs on 23:36 - Aug 14 with 2292 viewsA_Fans_Dad

Motorway Charging Points for EVs on 17:08 - Aug 14 by Pacemaker

Try inhaling CO2 and see how that goes, that Volvo study has been withdrawn by Volvo as untrue, i agree you shouldn’t get rid of a perfectly good car if it serves its purpose carry on until end of life,

Hydrogen is not the answer for motor vehicles but it might be for plant, HGV and PSV, otherwise electric BEV are the only current solution, I worked in the pipeline industry for many years where anyone will tell you the issues with trying to transport H2.

Tesla’s have been around for well over 12 years as a mainstream manufacturer there are plenty of Tesla’s around with in excess of 2-500,000 miles as a result of being used as Ubers etc still going strong.

I am not forcing anyone to ditch ICE for BEV but get your facts straight first.

What level of CO2 is in the average room when people are having a party?
What level of CO2 is in your breath when you breath out?
What was the CO2 level during the Cambrian period, or the Devonian period?
Please provide the link to the withdrawal of the Volvo study as I can't find it.

The grid can't possibly cope if the majority of people switch to EVs, the National Grid speaks with a forked tongue, commonly known as BS.
Motorway Charging Points for EVs on 07:48 - Aug 15 with 2267 viewsfelixstowe_jack

Motorway Charging Points for EVs on 09:38 - Aug 14 by controversial_jack

Except of course there were record sales of EV in the Uk in June . UP 39% and 18% of the UK car sales. Hybrid EV made up 7% of market share. Not like you to publish misleading information.

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

Motorway Charging Points for EVs on 11:55 - Aug 15 with 2237 viewscontroversial_jack

Motorway Charging Points for EVs on 07:48 - Aug 15 by felixstowe_jack

Except of course there were record sales of EV in the Uk in June . UP 39% and 18% of the UK car sales. Hybrid EV made up 7% of market share. Not like you to publish misleading information.

Admittedly, this was from 2020, but it's only 3 years ago. It can be seen that EV sales in this country lag well behind most, and the Yanks don't seem to be buying into it at all

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2021/02/electric-vehicles-europe-percentage-sales
Motorway Charging Points for EVs on 12:17 - Aug 15 with 2221 viewsWhiterockin

Motorway Charging Points for EVs on 11:55 - Aug 15 by controversial_jack

Admittedly, this was from 2020, but it's only 3 years ago. It can be seen that EV sales in this country lag well behind most, and the Yanks don't seem to be buying into it at all

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2021/02/electric-vehicles-europe-percentage-sales

The lack of sales in the USA could be down to relatively cheap fuel and very large vehicles.
Motorway Charging Points for EVs on 12:31 - Aug 15 with 2208 viewsA_Fans_Dad

Motorway Charging Points for EVs on 07:48 - Aug 15 by felixstowe_jack

You do know that most EV sales are Company cars because of the tax breaks available and not so much to the general public?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024