Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Female commentators 10:10 - Mar 3 with 1890 viewsjohnlangy

I watched MOTD this morning and there was a female commentator covering the Newcastle game. She was dreadful as are all the others.

To do any other job in football - refereeing/linesman/pundit on Football Focus etc - what is needed is knowledge gained from watching, supporting or playing football. Women can do those jobs as well as men. But when commentating on an actual game, when something exciting happens I want to hear a loud voice, a roar similar to when all your mates around you shout at an actual game. What we get with women commentators is a squeak.

IMO they are just there because of political correctness, diversity or whatever not because they are good at the job..

Female commentators on 18:51 - Mar 3 with 500 viewsSTID2017

"She was dreadful as are all the others"

"as were all the others" as in commentators ?
Or all the other female commentators?
It reads as the former, which is why it looks like a generalisation and therefore offensive.
Surely not every commentator ( male and female) were dreadful ?
If that were the case, who are you comparing her with ?
IMHO modern commentators down compare to the likes of Motty and co, but that is a whole different discussion

"Sanity and happiness are an impossible combination" - Mark Twain
Poll: Who Would You Want As Captain For Swans ?

Female commentators on 18:52 - Mar 3 with 497 viewsTreforys_Jack

Female commentators on 18:11 - Mar 3 by johnlangy

I think it's fair to say that I always express my opinion on something while not slagging off others who may think differently from me.

In this instance i'm expressing my opinion saying I don't like female commentators (on live games, not pundits in the studio). Nothing wrong with that. You are okay with them. Nothing wrong with that either.

Tend to agree with you, there's a shouty female commentator who does my head in, bit like our Wyndham, I do prefer male commentators. I quite like Alex Scott summarising, the one I really can't handle at at all is the lady on Talksport Lianne Sanderson, she has me reaching for the off button everytime. She refers to Man U as we and us, whilst sporting a fine Cockney accent. I know it's not specifically football, but think Gabby Yorath is probably the best sports presenter around atm.
Female commentators on 18:53 - Mar 3 with 497 viewsFlashberryjack

Female commentators on 18:44 - Mar 3 by STID2017

I see nothing offensive in that?
Commentators who refer to shots as "hits" and use the phrase "early doors" grate with me.
They can be male or female.
So crack on
BTW - It's "allowed" not "aloud"

Thanks for the spelling lesson.

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

Female commentators on 18:57 - Mar 3 with 496 viewsBryanSwan

Female commentators on 18:11 - Mar 3 by johnlangy

I think it's fair to say that I always express my opinion on something while not slagging off others who may think differently from me.

In this instance i'm expressing my opinion saying I don't like female commentators (on live games, not pundits in the studio). Nothing wrong with that. You are okay with them. Nothing wrong with that either.

"IMO they are just there because of political correctness, diversity or whatever not because they are good at the job.."
You say initially you don't like how women sound then move onto how they got into the role through any means other than ability.
Just because you don't like them does not in any way mean they are unqualified.

Poll: When will Russell Martin no longer be Swansea manager?

Female commentators on 18:58 - Mar 3 with 493 viewsSTID2017

Female commentators on 18:53 - Mar 3 by Flashberryjack

Thanks for the spelling lesson.

Your welcome

Female commentators on 18:59 - Mar 3 with 491 viewsTomsyard

Female commentators on 17:49 - Mar 3 by STID2017

Nobody is getting upset as far I can see.
And I certainly don't have the power to shut anyone on here down.
However on here, as in life, if I see someone acting in a discrimatory way, I will out them.
Simple as that.
It is great to see the myriad of different views on this site.
However, people should always remember the ultimate reason Keith puts so much work into this site and recognise that when considering what they post.
Views such as some of the above can undo that good work

Thanks for your reasoned response and I agree with what you’ve written apart from the discriminatory bit. I didn’t read it as such though I can understand why it could be considered that way. As I said previously none of the commentators make or break my viewing enjoyment but the match summarisers, both male and female, well that’s another topic altogether.
Female commentators on 19:06 - Mar 3 with 463 viewsSTID2017

Female commentators on 18:59 - Mar 3 by Tomsyard

Thanks for your reasoned response and I agree with what you’ve written apart from the discriminatory bit. I didn’t read it as such though I can understand why it could be considered that way. As I said previously none of the commentators make or break my viewing enjoyment but the match summarisers, both male and female, well that’s another topic altogether.

Fair enough and thank you.

Female commentators on 19:13 - Mar 3 with 445 viewsunion_jack

Female commentators on 18:58 - Mar 3 by STID2017

Your welcome

I hope that’s an ironic reply!😁

Are Sperm Whales the reason the sea is so salty?
Poll: Bony - Would You Want Him Back?

Login to get fewer ads

Female commentators on 19:14 - Mar 3 with 444 viewsTomsyard

Female commentators on 18:52 - Mar 3 by Treforys_Jack

Tend to agree with you, there's a shouty female commentator who does my head in, bit like our Wyndham, I do prefer male commentators. I quite like Alex Scott summarising, the one I really can't handle at at all is the lady on Talksport Lianne Sanderson, she has me reaching for the off button everytime. She refers to Man U as we and us, whilst sporting a fine Cockney accent. I know it's not specifically football, but think Gabby Yorath is probably the best sports presenter around atm.

Totally agree about Gabby, would like to see her take over from Lineker just to break up the MotD clique
Female commentators on 19:38 - Mar 3 with 427 viewsSTID2017

Female commentators on 19:13 - Mar 3 by union_jack

I hope that’s an ironic reply!😁

It was - that is why I put the wink.
Otherwise I would have deserved pelters

Female commentators on 19:58 - Mar 3 with 414 viewsonehunglow

Female commentators on 19:14 - Mar 3 by Tomsyard

Totally agree about Gabby, would like to see her take over from Lineker just to break up the MotD clique

Md Logan is a superb presenter
A natural
She stands head and shoulders above the rest

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Female commentators on 20:07 - Mar 3 with 411 viewsFlashberryjack

Female commentators on 18:58 - Mar 3 by STID2017

Your welcome

“Your” is a determiner. It can be described as belonging to or associated with someone that is being addressed. “You're”, on the other hand, is a contraction and is used to shorten “you are”.
Foot in shot the himself

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

Female commentators on 20:20 - Mar 3 with 406 viewsSTID2017

Female commentators on 20:07 - Mar 3 by Flashberryjack

“Your” is a determiner. It can be described as belonging to or associated with someone that is being addressed. “You're”, on the other hand, is a contraction and is used to shorten “you are”.
Foot in shot the himself

Understood that I didn't, but on the chin will take it ! 😁
( With more than a nod to Yoda )

Female commentators on 14:16 - Mar 4 with 284 viewsLuther27

Female commentators on 15:14 - Mar 3 by Tomsyard

Is someone’s opinion now declared as ‘anti’ something just because an opinion has been expressed. This shutting down of people voicing their thoughts, whether you agree or not is just plain ridiculous.

I’m in your gang. Well said.
Female commentators on 16:20 - Mar 4 with 254 viewsSullutaCreturned

Female commentators on 17:36 - Mar 3 by Tomsyard

I don’t care if it’s male or female commentating on a game, I don’t need someone to tell me what I can see happening but if the op cares then that’s his opinion. I’m not sure why anybody can get so upset about itEverything is so binary; he doesn’t like women commentators so he must be ……..
Funny really because my wife doesn’t like listening to women commentators but I don’t think she’s anti anything it’s just her opinion, it won’t keep me awake at night

Maybe he shouldn't have said this then,

"IMO they are just there because of political correctness, diversity or whatever not because they are good at the job"

I say that because the women, as with the men, are a mixed bag. Some are good, some are bad but how do you know which former footballer will be good at the job without giving them a try.
And, saying they shouldn't be there because of their high pitched voices? It's not shutting someone down to disagree with their opinion either, shutting them down would be stopping them posting and nobody has suggested that.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024