Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
A centre forward who does not like heading the ball. 21:31 - Apr 28 with 2018 viewsReslovenSwan1

I saw Liam Cullen's debut versus Crystal Palace in the league cup early round 5 years ago. Potter threw in a number of youngsters Harries the centre back, Dan James, Reid the solid full back and one or two others. He looked lightweight

Reid put in a beautiful aerial cross to Cullen to head and score on his debut. He made a miserable contact and the bll dribbled away. It seemed to me he did not fancy it at all.

Two year later Bidwell put in another great cross that Ayew would have buried. Sadly it was Cullen on the end of it and missed everybody. He by then had beefed up quite a bit.

I have always backed the man as Swansea born Centre forwards are very rare indeed. I want to see development.

Versus Norwich Ronald did a beautiful pass fed in Key and put in a lovely cross head height. Perfect for a planted header giving the keeper no chance. The Centre forward declined to head it and leaned back and took it on his chest instead. This gave time for the Norwich defender to get a block in.

If you do not like that sort of contact then you cannot be Swansea city's number nine i my opinion. A lot of chances will slip away with two wingers and Key and Tymon putting in juicy crosses.

Swansea appears to have two forward one who cannot head the ball and another who can but is not good enough on the deck.

Cullen does not have lightning pace like Michael Owen type so needs an all around game. Cadogan also have an horrible headed effort for the u21.

Other opinion are welcome.
[Post edited 28 Apr 21:33]

Wise sage since Toshack era

A centre forward who does not like heading the ball. on 21:35 - Apr 28 with 1410 viewsunion_jack

Nothing wrong with that post at all.

Are Sperm Whales the reason the sea is so salty?
Poll: Bony - Would You Want Him Back?

A centre forward who does not like heading the ball. on 00:00 - Apr 29 with 1304 viewslifelong

I did comment on the match day thread that he should have headed that first chance, couldn’t understand why he took it on his chest.
A centre forward who does not like heading the ball. on 08:47 - Apr 29 with 1199 viewsjack247

He’s our first choice centre forward now because Yates and Kukharevych haven’t worked out.

The club were clearly aware it was an area we needed to strengthen 12 months ago, they spent £4m+ on it. They just brought the wrong players in. I’m sure it will be addressed again this summer. Hopefully more successfully.
A centre forward who does not like heading the ball. on 09:39 - Apr 29 with 1162 viewsonehunglow

A centre forward who does not like heading the ball. on 08:47 - Apr 29 by jack247

He’s our first choice centre forward now because Yates and Kukharevych haven’t worked out.

The club were clearly aware it was an area we needed to strengthen 12 months ago, they spent £4m+ on it. They just brought the wrong players in. I’m sure it will be addressed again this summer. Hopefully more successfully.

Well the Uke hasn’t been on the field of play in anger so I’m not sure how he could have been assessed and dumped.
Training is ne thing,playing another.
If he is worse than Yates then he had better retrain as a Plumber

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

A centre forward who does not like heading the ball. on 09:42 - Apr 29 with 1161 viewsonehunglow

Good post.
Yates,IMO is the most gutless player we have ever had. I can’t recall any less inclined for physical contact for a forward .
It is insulting and past a joke now .
He has no pace,can’t or won’t head a ball and has no shot of value and has no physical presence . He cannot hold up play and doesn’t take up scoring positions. Apart from that,he s great .
At least Cullen has some pride in his performance and if he leaves then he does so with his head held high.

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

A centre forward who does not like heading the ball. on 10:05 - Apr 29 with 1147 viewsjack247

A centre forward who does not like heading the ball. on 09:39 - Apr 29 by onehunglow

Well the Uke hasn’t been on the field of play in anger so I’m not sure how he could have been assessed and dumped.
Training is ne thing,playing another.
If he is worse than Yates then he had better retrain as a Plumber

Championship football clubs don’t just chuck players on and see how they get on regardless of how they look in training or for the under 21s.

It’s three successive managers and coaching teams. I’ve no idea the reason, but it’s not coincidence.

Anyway, back to the point. Cullen isn’t our centre forward because Williams thinks he’s the next Alan Shearer. It’s because we tried to address the issue a year ago, when Cullen was no better or worse than he is now (he looked better because Piroe was occupying defenders). We just failed spectacularly at identifying the right strikers. I’m certain it will be a priority this summer.
A centre forward who does not like heading the ball. on 11:14 - Apr 29 with 1110 viewsRichardO

Think the main reason Cullen is picked because of his work rate and intelligence in closing down the player on the ball be it the Keeper or centre backs reducing their options for passing as these days it is the norm to play out from the back. He has been tireless in his closing down and against Norwich our closing down resulted in a number of loose passes resulting in Paterson's goal.
I can honestly say that Yates and Lowe when playing the central forward role don't close the ball down half as well maybe Kuharevich wouldn't be suited to the closing down role and not getting picked same as Whittaker but then again they would offer a different threat like Lowe does when playing up top, I thought Piroe and Ntcham looked better with grafters around them to win the ball for them and offer movement around them creating space for them to use their skills.
I does seem as if we set out with Plan A but as seen when Martin played Manning in a front three doing something different can be very effective as well.
William's has done what he needed to do since his arrival and may have more space to try different options next season.
A centre forward who does not like heading the ball. on 13:06 - Apr 29 with 1053 viewsReslovenSwan1

The question I am making is declining to head the ball something Steve Cooper would call a "non negotiable" . I played rugby as a school boy and relished physical contact. I played in the team.

My mate was much bigger stronger faster than me but could not get in the team because he did not like the rough and tumble.

Cullen wants at least £5k a week probably. A quarter of a million and according to many always gives 100%. Oh really then it should be 5 mins Norwich 0-1 Swansea Cullen bullet header. He declined to head it.. For me a " non negotiable" .

Harsh I know. We are not talking Barry McKay here.
[Post edited 29 Apr 13:09]

Login to get fewer ads

A centre forward who does not like heading the ball. on 13:15 - Apr 29 with 1036 viewsjack247

A centre forward who does not like heading the ball. on 13:06 - Apr 29 by ReslovenSwan1

The question I am making is declining to head the ball something Steve Cooper would call a "non negotiable" . I played rugby as a school boy and relished physical contact. I played in the team.

My mate was much bigger stronger faster than me but could not get in the team because he did not like the rough and tumble.

Cullen wants at least £5k a week probably. A quarter of a million and according to many always gives 100%. Oh really then it should be 5 mins Norwich 0-1 Swansea Cullen bullet header. He declined to head it.. For me a " non negotiable" .

Harsh I know. We are not talking Barry McKay here.
[Post edited 29 Apr 13:09]

Steve Cooper used to pick Connor Hourihane who declined to run, tackle, head or get involved in anything resembling a 50/50.
A centre forward who does not like heading the ball. on 13:36 - Apr 29 with 1012 viewsReslovenSwan1

A centre forward who does not like heading the ball. on 13:15 - Apr 29 by jack247

Steve Cooper used to pick Connor Hourihane who declined to run, tackle, head or get involved in anything resembling a 50/50.

Yes there are always contradictions nothing is perfect. Did Cooper ask for Hourahine?

I do not want to " pick on" Cullen but he and his agent are probably asking for big cash. Williams needs convincing he can be a no 9 to replace Piroe. He had a chance to make a case but his instincts stopped him perhaps. Deliberately using your head is unnatural unless our side the Angel in Neath on Saturday evening

A centre forward who does not like heading the ball. on 13:44 - Apr 29 with 1005 viewsjack247

A centre forward who does not like heading the ball. on 13:36 - Apr 29 by ReslovenSwan1

Yes there are always contradictions nothing is perfect. Did Cooper ask for Hourahine?

I do not want to " pick on" Cullen but he and his agent are probably asking for big cash. Williams needs convincing he can be a no 9 to replace Piroe. He had a chance to make a case but his instincts stopped him perhaps. Deliberately using your head is unnatural unless our side the Angel in Neath on Saturday evening

I doubt it. He continually played him though.

I’d like to see Cullen given a new contract, but I’m not pretending there are no deficiencies in his game. I don’t expect him or anyone else who is currently at the club to be our first choice centre forward next season. He’s just the best we have at the moment.

He should have headed that and probably would have scored. It’s not like he lacks bottle or never challenges for headers though. He just made a very poor decision.
A centre forward who does not like heading the ball. on 13:59 - Apr 29 with 992 viewsRichardO

Thought he had enough time to bring it down but unable to control it properly given the pace of the ball, player makes a wrong decision.
Really needs to be playing of a big number nine, or at least a partner up top, he has learnt a lot from his time in the Championship and aided in a number of goals with assists, scored a goal or two and works his socks off, one to keep in the squad if the price is right but wouldn't be looking at too long a contract extension but more than the activated one year.
A centre forward who does not like heading the ball. on 14:04 - Apr 29 with 989 viewsReslovenSwan1

A centre forward who does not like heading the ball. on 13:44 - Apr 29 by jack247

I doubt it. He continually played him though.

I’d like to see Cullen given a new contract, but I’m not pretending there are no deficiencies in his game. I don’t expect him or anyone else who is currently at the club to be our first choice centre forward next season. He’s just the best we have at the moment.

He should have headed that and probably would have scored. It’s not like he lacks bottle or never challenges for headers though. He just made a very poor decision.

I have seen too many instances of "poor decisions" when it comes to heading the ball. Could it be would prefer to miss than score a headed goal from a whipped cross.?

It has been an issue for some time as I pointed out in the OP. You would never turn Barry McKay into an aggressive tackling midfielder. Perhaps Cullen cannot cross that psychological bridge and be a £10k pw striker.

A centre forward who does not like heading the ball. on 14:39 - Apr 29 with 970 viewsjack247

A centre forward who does not like heading the ball. on 14:04 - Apr 29 by ReslovenSwan1

I have seen too many instances of "poor decisions" when it comes to heading the ball. Could it be would prefer to miss than score a headed goal from a whipped cross.?

It has been an issue for some time as I pointed out in the OP. You would never turn Barry McKay into an aggressive tackling midfielder. Perhaps Cullen cannot cross that psychological bridge and be a £10k pw striker.

I wouldn’t worry about it. I’d be really surprised if he’s our main centre forward next season.

But no, I don’t want to speak on the players behalf, but do you honestly think he’d rather miss than score a header?
A centre forward who does not like heading the ball. on 15:14 - Apr 29 with 943 viewsReslovenSwan1

A centre forward who does not like heading the ball. on 14:39 - Apr 29 by jack247

I wouldn’t worry about it. I’d be really surprised if he’s our main centre forward next season.

But no, I don’t want to speak on the players behalf, but do you honestly think he’d rather miss than score a header?

The decision that had to be made was over less than a second. It is elite level sport and notionally something he can work on. Perhaps it is something he simply cannot do? .

He knew heading the ball would most probably meant a goal. He was open and unmarked.

Could it be that his split second decision "I would prefer to miss than head that ball"? Ayew would have scored with his head. Sports psychology. He could have made a statement to the club with a bullet header but at that moment chose not to.

This is after Williams wanting him to prove he was worthy of a substantial pay rise.

I looked at a video of Langstaff. About 1 in 10 of his goals in a header so he can head the ball.

A centre forward who does not like heading the ball. on 16:23 - Apr 29 with 869 viewssw02sea

If Cullen and Banjo Yates are your choice strikers, then your recruitment system stinks !
A centre forward who does not like heading the ball. on 17:08 - Apr 29 with 839 viewsTreforys_Jack

Liam should have scored 4 headed goals in the last 6 games, 3 if you want to cut him some slack, that's the reality of it.
A centre forward who does not like heading the ball. on 18:20 - Apr 29 with 786 viewsKeithHaynes

A centre forward who does not like heading the ball. on 15:14 - Apr 29 by ReslovenSwan1

The decision that had to be made was over less than a second. It is elite level sport and notionally something he can work on. Perhaps it is something he simply cannot do? .

He knew heading the ball would most probably meant a goal. He was open and unmarked.

Could it be that his split second decision "I would prefer to miss than head that ball"? Ayew would have scored with his head. Sports psychology. He could have made a statement to the club with a bullet header but at that moment chose not to.

This is after Williams wanting him to prove he was worthy of a substantial pay rise.

I looked at a video of Langstaff. About 1 in 10 of his goals in a header so he can head the ball.

And he is less than 6’ has a tremulous leap on him and timing. He would tear defences a new one. At the end of the day he is scoring headed opportunities in a football match, that’s applicable in any league.

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

A centre forward who does not like heading the ball. on 18:39 - Apr 29 with 762 viewsmax936

A centre forward who does not like heading the ball. on 13:59 - Apr 29 by RichardO

Thought he had enough time to bring it down but unable to control it properly given the pace of the ball, player makes a wrong decision.
Really needs to be playing of a big number nine, or at least a partner up top, he has learnt a lot from his time in the Championship and aided in a number of goals with assists, scored a goal or two and works his socks off, one to keep in the squad if the price is right but wouldn't be looking at too long a contract extension but more than the activated one year.

Good post that Richard, I fully agree with it.

Poll: Will it Snow this coming Winter

A centre forward who does not like heading the ball. on 18:44 - Apr 29 with 758 viewsmax936

A centre forward who does not like heading the ball. on 10:05 - Apr 29 by jack247

Championship football clubs don’t just chuck players on and see how they get on regardless of how they look in training or for the under 21s.

It’s three successive managers and coaching teams. I’ve no idea the reason, but it’s not coincidence.

Anyway, back to the point. Cullen isn’t our centre forward because Williams thinks he’s the next Alan Shearer. It’s because we tried to address the issue a year ago, when Cullen was no better or worse than he is now (he looked better because Piroe was occupying defenders). We just failed spectacularly at identifying the right strikers. I’m certain it will be a priority this summer.

This, good post!

Poll: Will it Snow this coming Winter

A centre forward who does not like heading the ball. on 17:48 - Apr 30 with 540 viewsSullutaCreturned

I struggle with calling Cullen a "centre forward" but maybe that's because I'm old school. Latchford, Toshack and even Alsop were centre forwards.

To me Cullen is a poacher who would do better off a proper centre forward. A proper CF will head the ball
A centre forward who does not like heading the ball. on 18:04 - Apr 30 with 530 viewsReslovenSwan1

A centre forward who does not like heading the ball. on 17:48 - Apr 30 by SullutaCreturned

I struggle with calling Cullen a "centre forward" but maybe that's because I'm old school. Latchford, Toshack and even Alsop were centre forwards.

To me Cullen is a poacher who would do better off a proper centre forward. A proper CF will head the ball

Any footballer faced with a chance to score with his head 6 yards out has to to take it. He is not a poacher as poachers score one way or another not fiddle about. If he wasa defender and did the same leading to a goal i he would be hung out to dry.

I believe Cullen may be masquerading as a forward player that regularly declines to head the ball when given chances. His agent is asking for between £350,000 and £500,000 for a seriously flawed footballer who lacks commitment to one part of his trade.

He has a great chance make a statement v Norwich but declined to take it.

A centre forward who does not like heading the ball. on 18:06 - Apr 30 with 524 viewsKeithHaynes

A centre forward who does not like heading the ball. on 18:04 - Apr 30 by ReslovenSwan1

Any footballer faced with a chance to score with his head 6 yards out has to to take it. He is not a poacher as poachers score one way or another not fiddle about. If he wasa defender and did the same leading to a goal i he would be hung out to dry.

I believe Cullen may be masquerading as a forward player that regularly declines to head the ball when given chances. His agent is asking for between £350,000 and £500,000 for a seriously flawed footballer who lacks commitment to one part of his trade.

You mean he is being touted by his agent ?

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

A centre forward who does not like heading the ball. on 18:17 - Apr 30 with 506 viewsReslovenSwan1

A centre forward who does not like heading the ball. on 18:06 - Apr 30 by KeithHaynes

You mean he is being touted by his agent ?

He is on a reported £2500 a week £130,000 a year. He wants a new contract in like with his peers like Walsh Ginnelly etc He has been and useful for the team.

He has been in discussions and would in my opinion (if I was his agent) looking for around £7k a week or more. (£350,000 p a)

Williams has told him the "earn it" . He did not earn it with opting out of that header. If cabango opted out of any headers Swansea would have lost.

A centre forward who does not like heading the ball. on 19:09 - Apr 30 with 454 viewsjack247

A centre forward who does not like heading the ball. on 18:04 - Apr 30 by ReslovenSwan1

Let’s not go overboard about one missed chance. You’ve harped back to it several times now.

We all know he should have headed it and he should have scored. So does he. Time to let it go?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024