Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Petrol or diesel 22:28 - May 2 with 3057 viewspansypants

Discuss....

Poll: Sick of the media love in with Brazil?

Petrol or diesel on 22:30 - May 2 with 2008 viewsacejack3065

Its cheaper to sniff petrol by about 10p a litre.
Petrol or diesel on 22:31 - May 2 with 2003 viewsLohengrin

Petrol or diesel on 22:30 - May 2 by acejack3065

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

Petrol or diesel on 22:33 - May 2 with 1999 viewspansypants

Petrol or diesel on 22:30 - May 2 by acejack3065

Poll: Sick of the media love in with Brazil?

Petrol or diesel on 22:49 - May 2 with 1978 viewsborinifanclub

had a few diesel cars they were great....buying a new car I did my research and decided buying a petrol was more economical as I do low mileage......result low mpg and a gutless engine compared to the same model diesel.....i will never buy a petrol car again...I had a toyota corolla verso 2.5 litre with 6 gears.... at 70 mph on the mway I got over 70 mpg!
I am lucky to get 35 mpg now with a smaller car.

Every day I thank the good Lord for the blessings he gives me. Every new day gives me a new opportunity to laugh at the red chumps up the road.

Petrol or diesel on 23:19 - May 2 with 1946 views1jack

Petrol every time , hate diesel, smelly, dirty and carcinogenic. Also need particulate filters which are shit and turbos which fvck up.
Petrol or diesel on 23:37 - May 2 with 1925 viewsperchrockjack

Petrol or diesel on 23:19 - May 2 by 1jack

Petrol every time , hate diesel, smelly, dirty and carcinogenic. Also need particulate filters which are shit and turbos which fvck up.

15000 miles a year minimum for diesel.better low down grunt though

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

Petrol or diesel on 00:20 - May 3 with 1896 viewsBanosswan

Now I'm a grown up with a child, I need to get a diesel to show the wife I'm sensible. BMW 335id please.

Ever since my son was... never conceived, because I've never had consensual sex without money involved... I've always kind of looked at you as... a thing, that I could live next to... in accordance with state laws.
Poll: How do you like your steak?

Petrol or diesel on 07:39 - May 3 with 1816 viewsPacemaker

As Perchy says unless you are doing MORE than 15k miles a year it just doesnt make sense to buy diesel and if you are only doing short journeys in a modern diesel the diesel particalate filter will go and that is around a thousand pound a shot. They all need a good blast at least once a week to burn off the shit in the DPF.

I drive a Golf diesel Bluemotion in work and it is fantastic I can easily get 700 miles from a tank up and down the motorways but i only do about 10 k in my own car which is a modern 1.6 petrol Toyota and i get easily 40mpg and less servicing than a diesel and cheaper to buy by 2k-3k than a diesel in the first place.

Life is an adventure or nothing at all.

Login to get fewer ads

Petrol or diesel on 09:16 - May 3 with 1772 viewsDyfnant

Petrol or diesel on 07:39 - May 3 by Pacemaker

As Perchy says unless you are doing MORE than 15k miles a year it just doesnt make sense to buy diesel and if you are only doing short journeys in a modern diesel the diesel particalate filter will go and that is around a thousand pound a shot. They all need a good blast at least once a week to burn off the shit in the DPF.

I drive a Golf diesel Bluemotion in work and it is fantastic I can easily get 700 miles from a tank up and down the motorways but i only do about 10 k in my own car which is a modern 1.6 petrol Toyota and i get easily 40mpg and less servicing than a diesel and cheaper to buy by 2k-3k than a diesel in the first place.

This.
Diesel costs at least 5p a litre more these days anyway

Poll: How much will SCFC spend on transfer fees this summer

Petrol or diesel on 09:20 - May 3 with 1768 viewsItchySphincter

I take you point but it's horses for courses. I average between 15 and 20,000 a year. I had a 320d for about six years, never put a spanner on it besides servicing. When it went through 130,000 miles I changed it for a 2.2 diesel with 50,000 on the clock which I get about 50mpg from if I drive to the speed limits. Recently it went into the garage for a service and I borrowed my mother's brand new Fiesta 1ltr 3 cylinder petrol thing to go to London and back and as nice as it was, sticking to the limits and using cruise control it cost me about 15 quid more in juice. No brainer for me.

‘……. like a moth to Itchy’s flame ……’
Poll: Planet Swans or Planet Swans? Which one's you favourite.

Petrol or diesel on 10:05 - May 3 with 1742 viewsBaker

Yep.

Have been a diesel fan for years, but the new generation (last ten years) of diesels are super high maintenance when they get over 3 years old. What you save in fuel economy is blown out of the water on repair bills.

I'd go as far to say that you need to be excessing 20k a year to make the modern diesel pay.

Petrol all the way from now on.
[Post edited 3 May 2014 10:06]

May I say? what a smashing blouse you have on!

Petrol or diesel on 10:06 - May 3 with 1741 viewsNeath_Jack

I've alternated the last couple of cars between diesel and petrol. I drive less than 10k a year in a 2.2 diesel turbo.

If i had to chose one for the rest of my life, then its a diesel all day long.

I want a mate like Flashberryjacks, who wears a Barnsley jersey with "Swans are my second team" on the back.
Poll: Would you support military action against Syria on what we know so far?

Petrol or diesel on 10:29 - May 3 with 1726 viewsDDCH

Have just gone back to Petrol after beeing a derv fan for a while. Regularly doing 200 mile + trips in it and still getting DPF filter problems.

The advice of you need to take it for a long run is rubbish as the DPF self regeneration issues seem to plague all manufacturers. After being quoted a little over 2k to replace the DPF unit and sensor array to be on the safe side after the last forced regen I decided to trade it in against a petrol.

Fuel is cheaper but MPG is not as good even though it's a small eco type engine, but the constant reliability coupled with repair costs has made me move.

The poster formally known as DannyDyersChocolateHomunculus

Petrol or diesel on 13:08 - May 3 with 1672 viewsLord_Bony

My new Kuga 2.0 diesel avg 36 mpg

My old beat up runabout Mondeo 2.0 diesel avg 51 mpg.

It s also done 130k and runs clean as a whistle. If you re going for an older car choose a diesel, the engines are good for at least 250k and very reliable...black smoke is fine but watch out for white smoke...more serious.

PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE THIRD PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD. "Per ardua ad astra"
Poll: iS tHERE lIFE aFTER dEATH

Petrol or diesel on 14:57 - May 3 with 1633 viewsShaky

I drive a 10year old Audi turbo diesel estate that gives me between 50mpg around town up to maybe 56 or so cruising on the motorway.

It still runs great and I absolutely dread the day I will have to replace it with one of the ghastly new models with electronic keys where the engine switches off all the time.

Misology -- It's a bitch
Poll: Greatest PS Troll Hunter of all time

Petrol or diesel on 10:41 - May 4 with 1522 viewscontroversial_jack

Petrol is more carcinogenic as it contains a high content of benzene which is carcinogenic. Diesel is safer too as the risk of fire is much lower
Petrol or diesel on 11:09 - May 4 with 1506 viewsgrabsplatter

I've got a 2007 Civic & the 2.2 diesel is a brilliant engine - no DPF so my annual mileage of around 12,000 is fine but when I change it next year it's going to have be a petrol because as others have posted the modern DPF diesels will fail if they don't have regular long motorway runs.
Petrol or diesel on 01:56 - May 5 with 1433 viewsCatullus

Petrol or diesel on 10:41 - May 4 by controversial_jack

Petrol is more carcinogenic as it contains a high content of benzene which is carcinogenic. Diesel is safer too as the risk of fire is much lower

Not so, latest evidence is diesel is much worse.

I have a ten year old diesel Mondeo 2.0 TDCI. It's been fantastic. Can still get over 600 miles off a full tank driving sensibly.

But it'll be petrol next time. Hopefully the New Mondeo one litre, out later this year I think. Half my current engine size but has 10 more bhp!!

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Petrol or diesel on 02:36 - May 5 with 1425 viewsChief

in my opionion global warming is exaggerated to exploit the working person anyway

Poll: Rate the ref's performance today

Petrol or diesel on 08:26 - May 5 with 1401 viewsItchySphincter

I'm falling behind the times here but I don't understand the fascination with tiny petrol engines in mid sizes cars - 1ltr petrol Mondeo. Sounds horrendous. I know engine technology has progressed and they can release some extra HP but surely a larger engine is under less strain, therefore less wear, etc. Give me a bigger engine, petrol or diesel, every time.

‘……. like a moth to Itchy’s flame ……’
Poll: Planet Swans or Planet Swans? Which one's you favourite.

Petrol or diesel on 08:31 - May 5 with 1399 viewsTheFranchise

Petrol or diesel on 08:26 - May 5 by ItchySphincter

I'm falling behind the times here but I don't understand the fascination with tiny petrol engines in mid sizes cars - 1ltr petrol Mondeo. Sounds horrendous. I know engine technology has progressed and they can release some extra HP but surely a larger engine is under less strain, therefore less wear, etc. Give me a bigger engine, petrol or diesel, every time.

My old 2 litre mondeo was more economical than my 1.3 fiesta, mainly because I wasn't foot down all the time to get it to flippin move.
Petrol or diesel on 08:56 - May 5 with 1383 viewsJackfath

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2620145/Introducing-supercar-shell-surpr

POSTER OF THE YEAR 2013. PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE SECOND PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD.
Poll: Should Darran's ban be lifted?

Petrol or diesel on 09:49 - May 5 with 1344 viewsCatullus

Petrol or diesel on 08:26 - May 5 by ItchySphincter

If the smaller engine is more powerful, it won't be straining, will it?

I used to have a 1.6 cavalier, my dad had an older model 1.3, his engine filled the bay. My bay was half empty. Size is not important, as technology progresses many things are being made smaller but better.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Petrol or diesel on 12:22 - May 5 with 1320 viewsCooperman

My wife commutes from Llanelli to Cardiff for work so diesel is the obvious choice. I did the maths once and the cut over point between diesel and petrol was about 16000 miles per year. Anything more makes diesel more cost effective.

Poll: Your confectionery tub of choice

Petrol or diesel on 13:09 - May 5 with 1301 viewscontroversial_jack

Petrol or diesel on 01:56 - May 5 by Catullus

Not so, latest evidence is diesel is much worse.

I have a ten year old diesel Mondeo 2.0 TDCI. It's been fantastic. Can still get over 600 miles off a full tank driving sensibly.

But it'll be petrol next time. Hopefully the New Mondeo one litre, out later this year I think. Half my current engine size but has 10 more bhp!!

Diesel being only gas oil isn't anywhere near as carcinogenic as benzene
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024