Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Catchment area 12:02 - Nov 12 with 4199 viewsParlay

Lots of talk in the last decade that "Cardiff has the largest catchment area" so is the bigger club etc.

Ive never understood this. They are 40 mins down the road, their catchment area is also our catchment area. With us being Wales' only Premier League club and a bloody good one too, are we doing enough as a club to increase our fan base and grow. It seems we have a massive opportunity here to steal a march and secure the youth of south and mid wales but i cant help feeling we aren't doing enough.

Without turning this into another expansion debate, but we really need to get these extra seats to allow these people who are growing up and just getting into football access to our matches. People seem to think if we expand then we must fill it 100% - why? If we fill it 100% then by definition it is still too small as it has no room for growth.

I was speaking to a fella whos son had been begging him to take him to a live match. He tried to get tickets for the Swans, couldn't, so took him to a Cardiff game. That child will always have a connection with Cardiff now and we are losing out.

We are the only Premier League club for a radius of about 150 miles. Our catchment area is MASSIVE and almost unique in the UK. We need to be doing all we can to secure the next generation of fan and also ensuring that there is seats available should they decide to come here.

Forum celebrity
Poll: Is £45 a match ticket too high?

Catchment area on 12:11 - Nov 12 with 2299 viewsperchrockjack

Its what Ive always said..
REALISTICALLY, from Bridgend to Pembs then north to Aberystwth., east to Newtown.

You can forget anything north of NEWTOWN as they ll be plastic scousers or mancs..

Our priority is to rid our city of the complete dickeahd who choose to "support" a "big" club like arse,Liverpool,Manure,,Spurs,and god help us Chelsea. Only kids in a playground can be exempt from this contemptable crap. Its the thing that makes me most angry . I cannot stomach it.

We were crap for many years ,we were a basket case but this generation of Swansea kids should know only one team to support and that s their own.

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

Catchment area on 12:14 - Nov 12 with 2293 viewsJoe_bradshaw

This is indeed the case for expansion.

How many kids (and their parents) from our catchment area watched Sunday's game in their homes and thought, we'd love to be part of that fantastic atmosphere. How do we get tickets?

Planet Swans Prediction League Winner Season 2013-14. Runner up 2014_15.
Poll: How many points clear of relegation will we be on Saturday night?

Catchment area on 12:19 - Nov 12 with 2270 viewsParlay

Catchment area on 12:14 - Nov 12 by Joe_bradshaw

This is indeed the case for expansion.

How many kids (and their parents) from our catchment area watched Sunday's game in their homes and thought, we'd love to be part of that fantastic atmosphere. How do we get tickets?

My whole family for one. I know of double figures of people wanting to go but instead have to try and pick up the odd pair second hand etc... And i dont know many people in Swansea! I have no doubt we could have sold 26,000 easy for the Arsenal game (thats £250,000 extra alone) and that figure will only grow.

Look at Cardiff, they are boring, rubbish and really unattractive to watch. If you are a 7 year old kid from Grangetown or Splott and have the choice of your dad taking you to Cardiff v Barnsley or Swansea v Arsenal which would you choose?

This catchment area is nonsense. Even Cardiff itself is our catchment area and we really are failing in this department.
[Post edited 12 Nov 2014 12:22]

Forum celebrity
Poll: Is £45 a match ticket too high?

Catchment area on 12:58 - Nov 12 with 2142 viewsacejack3065

I've never understood grown adults justifying their connection to a football club that plays their home games hundreds of miles away, in a city that they seldom visit or have little to no attachment to.

Yes, its a free country and you're welcome to support who you like but if you're a Man Utd supporter or a Chelsea supporter despite not being from there then you've kind of missed the point of being a football supporter.

I often hear the excuse "I've always supported them since I was a kid". Well if that's the case then you've never grown up or you were always a shallow moron to begin with.

The reality of the situation is those kinds of football supporter will never experience the same emotional attachment to their club as me because winning is to be expected. If you're expecting to win the league or the cup then how can you really appreciate it when it happens?

I get effed off when we lose to anyone and when we win I'm on top of the world. The victory against Arsenal will most likely stay with me for years to come because it was such a special achievement. That's an emotional range completely absent from the life of the plastic, armchair fan. We are in the best position to break kids in the area from the cycle of supporting the Swans and "having a big team" so for the love of god expand the stadium.
Catchment area on 13:04 - Nov 12 with 2118 viewsScoobyWho

Catchment area on 12:11 - Nov 12 by perchrockjack

REALISTICALLY, from Bridgend to Pembs then north to Aberystwth., east to Newtown.

You can forget anything north of NEWTOWN as they ll be plastic scousers or mancs..

Our priority is to rid our city of the complete dickeahd who choose to "support" a "big" club like arse,Liverpool,Manure,,Spurs,and god help us Chelsea. Only kids in a playground can be exempt from this contemptable crap. Its the thing that makes me most angry . I cannot stomach it.

We were crap for many years ,we were a basket case but this generation of Swansea kids should know only one team to support and that s their own.

You can forget anything north of Ndwtown ?

Well, what about the masses of support we have in North Wales. Plenty up there I know at least 20 personally from up that way, there are many more, coach to Stoke last season. Etc.

DGT Bullshit Connoisseur.
Poll: Election 2015 Thread : Who will you vote for ?

Catchment area on 13:07 - Nov 12 with 2097 viewspencoedjack

Catchment area on 12:11 - Nov 12 by perchrockjack

From Pencoed please
Catchment area on 13:17 - Nov 12 with 2076 viewstylagarwjack

Catchment area on 12:19 - Nov 12 by Parlay

My whole family for one. I know of double figures of people wanting to go but instead have to try and pick up the odd pair second hand etc... And i dont know many people in Swansea! I have no doubt we could have sold 26,000 easy for the Arsenal game (thats £250,000 extra alone) and that figure will only grow.

Look at Cardiff, they are boring, rubbish and really unattractive to watch. If you are a 7 year old kid from Grangetown or Splott and have the choice of your dad taking you to Cardiff v Barnsley or Swansea v Arsenal which would you choose?

This catchment area is nonsense. Even Cardiff itself is our catchment area and we really are failing in this department.
[Post edited 12 Nov 2014 12:22]

I think the other problem we face, in addition to expansion, is infrastructure.

Yes, we should share catchment area with Cardiff, the problem is that it has always been easier to get to Cardiff from the valleys, and still is, and the way the Welsh Government invests in projects, that will never change.
Catchment area on 14:02 - Nov 12 with 1987 viewsperchrockjack

Yes. forget anything North of Newtown.

Sorry but your chums apart, North Wales is hardly swans territory.

Trust me, the flow of buses every match day up the wirral is considerable.

The road from Newtown don't help for sure but few from Welshpool would do a 240 mile round trip .its easier by far to get to merseyside, mchester and potteries.

I see ourselves as the club for all west walians

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

Login to get fewer ads

Catchment area on 15:05 - Nov 12 with 1899 viewsDewi1jack

Talked to a few people in Leominster, who try and get tickets.
They are neutral when it comes to football, but have fallen in love with the way we have played since hitting the PL. They do prefer watching their football live
They may not become fully fledged Jacks, but would really love to be able to see us when they could afford it/ travel there etc. They currently are travelling to WBA and Villa(was Wolves and Brum as well.)
Personally I think the catchment area could quite feasibly reach down to the 7 bridge, maybe to Brizzle/ Bath/ SW, but then they have to pay the toll (add that to a ST, even 15 times a season) coming up to Gloucester sort of area and have to agree with PRJ when he says around the Newtown area and over to the coast.
That's still a hefty area to draw football fans from.
People(first timers/ neutrals) would prefer to see PL football over Championship.
They've heard of Arsenal/ Man U/ Chelsea off MOTD;
MK Dons/ Rotherham / Cardiff won't hold the same appeal

Acejack, it's 200 and a bit miles round trip- Coventry and London when I was living and working there, was a tad further. And we were as low as division 4, I still rarely missed a weekend game when I was in the UK.

"I've never understood grown adults justifying their connection to a football club that plays their home games hundreds of miles away, in a city that they seldom visit or have little to no attachment to. "

Bar for home games and to see my family, I seldom visit Swansea now

"I often hear the excuse "I've always supported them since I was a kid". Well if that's the case then you've never grown up or you were always a shallow moron to begin with."

So, 50 years old having been watching the Swans (over 36 years, home and away and I'm a baby, many have been there much longer) with my ex, my kids and my present partner, it's nice to know what you think of us old 'shallow fans.'
My family have spent many a miserable day/ night sat on the North Bank watching absolute sh1te and have had the same seats in the Morfa since we moved there.
Should I give up my ST just to please some nomark like you, because I don't live in the area?

If people go to games regularly, whether it be Swansea, Liverpool, Chelsea, Man Utd or Forest Green Rovers, then they're a fan.
If they're going to see Kaeerdiff, then they're just into sadomasochism in a big way
The M-Ways, railways and other roads are covered with around 1,000,000 fans every week, travelling to see their team.
I'm going to hazard a guess that they enjoy and get as many highs and lows, if not more out of their live football as you do

If you wake up breathing, thats a good start to your day and you'll make many thousands of people envious.

Catchment area on 15:33 - Nov 12 with 1859 viewspencoedjack

Catchment area on 12:58 - Nov 12 by acejack3065

I've never understood grown adults justifying their connection to a football club that plays their home games hundreds of miles away, in a city that they seldom visit or have little to no attachment to.

Yes, its a free country and you're welcome to support who you like but if you're a Man Utd supporter or a Chelsea supporter despite not being from there then you've kind of missed the point of being a football supporter.

I often hear the excuse "I've always supported them since I was a kid". Well if that's the case then you've never grown up or you were always a shallow moron to begin with.

The reality of the situation is those kinds of football supporter will never experience the same emotional attachment to their club as me because winning is to be expected. If you're expecting to win the league or the cup then how can you really appreciate it when it happens?

I get effed off when we lose to anyone and when we win I'm on top of the world. The victory against Arsenal will most likely stay with me for years to come because it was such a special achievement. That's an emotional range completely absent from the life of the plastic, armchair fan. We are in the best position to break kids in the area from the cycle of supporting the Swans and "having a big team" so for the love of god expand the stadium.

What distance would you classify fans travelling to have a 'connection' with a football club ?

I have no links with Swansea as a city ...... just a group of boys around 15 years of age (about 30 years ago) went against the grain of following them up the road and caught the train West instead of East.

Pencoed now is more Swansea than Cardiff.
Catchment area on 16:16 - Nov 12 with 1815 viewsfelixstowe_jack

I just wish the Council would pull their finger out. The Final planning application has been in since September 2013 they have still not made a decision.

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

Catchment area on 16:25 - Nov 12 with 1803 viewsymaohyd

Catchment area on 13:07 - Nov 12 by pencoedjack

From Pencoed please

Is there big Swans support in Pen Coed?

Going back to the original post. I feel the directors have ticked all the boxes that as Swans fans as well as directors that they would have wanted to tick...bar one, ground expansion.

As fans I think they'd be desperate to develop the ground, but little to do with income, it would be about the opportunity to offer incentives on certain games to get kids in from all over Wales.

Blog: World Cup Performance = Transfer Speculation?

Catchment area on 16:34 - Nov 12 with 1769 viewsJoe_bradshaw

Catchment area on 16:16 - Nov 12 by felixstowe_jack

I just wish the Council would pull their finger out. The Final planning application has been in since September 2013 they have still not made a decision.

They can't make decisions until their questions have been answered properly.

There is plenty of goodwill in the planning department towards the application and they continue to discuss issues with the club.

Catchment area on 16:38 - Nov 12 with 1758 viewsymaohyd

Catchment area on 16:34 - Nov 12 by Joe_bradshaw

They can't make decisions until their questions have been answered properly.

There is plenty of goodwill in the planning department towards the application and they continue to discuss issues with the club.

So contrary to what I think I've read somewhere, we won't be starting the first phase of expansion in Jan?

Catchment area on 16:41 - Nov 12 with 1753 viewspencoedjack

Catchment area on 16:25 - Nov 12 by ymaohyd

Is there big Swans support in Pen Coed?

Going back to the original post. I feel the directors have ticked all the boxes that as Swans fans as well as directors that they would have wanted to tick...bar one, ground expansion.

As fans I think they'd be desperate to develop the ground, but little to do with income, it would be about the opportunity to offer incentives on certain games to get kids in from all over Wales.

Yes more Swans than Basseys .... & growing .
Catchment area on 16:47 - Nov 12 with 1734 viewslifelong

Catchment area on 14:02 - Nov 12 by perchrockjack

Yes. forget anything North of Newtown.

Sorry but your chums apart, North Wales is hardly swans territory.

Trust me, the flow of buses every match day up the wirral is considerable.

The road from Newtown don't help for sure but few from Welshpool would do a 240 mile round trip .its easier by far to get to merseyside, mchester and potteries.

I see ourselves as the club for all west walians

Richard, I know that you have something against our friends from North Wales but, Jacs y Gogledd is made up of fans from Caernarfon, Barmouth, Criccieth, Colwyn Bay, Prestatyn, Llandudno, Wrexham, Llanrwst and Llanfarpwll.
Catchment area on 16:47 - Nov 12 with 1735 viewsjohnlangy

Catchment area on 16:16 - Nov 12 by felixstowe_jack

Planning consent HAS been granted subject to whatever is required in the Travel Plan. If that was sorted now the extension could begin tomorrow.
Catchment area on 16:49 - Nov 12 with 1728 viewsrobbiejames86

I think selling too many season tickets hasn't helped in attracting new fans, as once Jack Army members have bought their tickets, there are very few groups or even pairs of seats next to each other left only singles. While this won't stop grown up fans, but It will stop parents bringing children, who are the future. The original reason I suspect for this, was fear that fans may stop coming had the team be struggling near the foot of the table? So getting the money up front made sense, but with hindsight, a 12,000 season ticket cap would have been a better option, leaving the away end and certain blocks in the wings of the East and West stands free of ST's for JA and walk ups. This with the expensive ticket prices of £35 and £17.50 for kids, would mean more income if all games were sold out. I hope when the ground is extended the board will realise the selling too many ST's has caused this and while they're at it introduce kids under 8 or 11 free when accompanied by an adult for certain games. As for the plastic Man U, Chelsea and Liverpool fans, I know quite a few who have bought ST's just to go to the big games and try to flog their tickets for the not so glamourous games.
Catchment area on 16:50 - Nov 12 with 1724 viewsJoe_bradshaw

Catchment area on 16:38 - Nov 12 by ymaohyd

So contrary to what I think I've read somewhere, we won't be starting the first phase of expansion in Jan?

Not unless transport issues are sorted. Approval is granted subject to some issues which are still under discussion.

Catchment area on 16:51 - Nov 12 with 1721 viewsmonmouth

More and more Swans fans appearing up here over the last few years. Many are envious of my ST and say they would buy if available. The excitement they see on most of our home sky games and our football style seems to have made us a hot draw.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Catchment area on 16:52 - Nov 12 with 1716 viewsymaohyd

Catchment area on 16:41 - Nov 12 by pencoedjack

Yes more Swans than Basseys .... & growing .

Really, bloody hell, never knew that. Delighted.

I was in college years ago with someone from Pencoed who told me that there were a few jacks there. Is there a particular reason?

Catchment area on 17:02 - Nov 12 with 1680 viewspencoedjack

Catchment area on 16:52 - Nov 12 by ymaohyd

Really, bloody hell, never knew that. Delighted.

I was in college years ago with someone from Pencoed who told me that there were a few jacks there. Is there a particular reason?

As I said in earlier thread, a group of us about 30 years ago decided to catch the train West instead of East ..... What a wise decision that was.

I see more and more kids now in Swans tops these days, as already mentioned we really need the expansion done so these kids are able to get to games.
Catchment area on 17:06 - Nov 12 with 1671 viewsymaohyd

Catchment area on 17:02 - Nov 12 by pencoedjack

As I said in earlier thread, a group of us about 30 years ago decided to catch the train West instead of East ..... What a wise decision that was.

I see more and more kids now in Swans tops these days, as already mentioned we really need the expansion done so these kids are able to get to games.

You're like a modern day Jesus (sorry to insult any religious people), spreading the word of the Swans.

Catchment area on 17:12 - Nov 12 with 1653 viewsmonmouth

Catchment area on 17:06 - Nov 12 by ymaohyd

You're like a modern day Jesus (sorry to insult any religious people), spreading the word of the Swans.

No you're not. Religious people deserve to be insulted. Nutters.

Oh, did I say that out loud.....

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Catchment area on 17:13 - Nov 12 with 1651 viewspencoedjack

Catchment area on 17:06 - Nov 12 by ymaohyd

That's the 1st time I have been called anything remotely like Jesus
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024