Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Veterans football in Swansea 15:42 - Mar 27 with 8929 viewsswanseauniveterans

I’d be grateful if you could spread the word to all footballers you know still playing that we have a thriving veterans scene here in Swansea. Whilst we operate out of the university and have their support in terms of training facility (uni astros at Ashleigh Road) and sometimes pitches, we mainly play on the 3G at Llandarcy. You do not have to be associated with the university to get involved.

We have over 150 registered veteran footballers and operate on two levels. One is all about participation and to this end we train ( substitute here...play football) 2/3 nights a week and run inter-squads at Llandarcy. 11 a-side, roll-on/roll-off, 40mins each way, refeeres and full kit provided. However we also run 4 teams in the Wales Veterans League which is a decent level competition leading to selection for a representative team which regularly played ‘international’ games home and abroad. These teams are at over 40s/over 45s/over 50s/over 55s age group but we also have players who have represented the Wales over 60s and more recently over 65s against an English representative team at St George’s Park and Dragon Park.

So we’d welcome anyone who wanted to get involved as a player or indeed as a manager which as any of you involved in local league foootball will know, are hard to find. We welcome all abilities and positions but GKs are especially prized and looked after.

Check out the links below and if you are interested you can contact me through our Wordpress site.

The ethos is that we enjoy every moment that we continue playing a game we all love. A game that has been good to us all. We can still play a bit and walking football it is not (with respect to those who enjoy this format). We have a strict code of conduct and while we play to win, winning is not the only measure of success. Ensuring that 150 veteran footballers can continue to play at decent level and come off the field with big smiles is more the real aim.

We don’t really need any more players but this might just suit you or someone you know and get them back or prolong their football.

https://swanseaunivets.wordpress.com/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/240266442802603/

http://www.walesveteransfootball.co.uk/

Veterans football in Swansea on 17:32 - Mar 27 with 8851 viewsthe_oracle

I've been playing for the Swansea Uni Vets for five years. Gave up Swansea league when I was 45. Over the next few years piled in the pounds and got breathless just walking the dog.
But the one thing I really missed was the laugh with the lads, and having a large group of friends.

Best thing I've done since turning 50 was joining this lot. I heard about the vets when I was 54. I'm playing and training every week, either competitively in the Welsh League or in the intersquads, ( which are hard games, chasing a 40 year old when you are 59 is not easy)! We've played at the Millennium and we tour in the UK and abroad every year. We have players who have never played before and ex pros in our ranks. You can just come and play for fitness and the social side. The best thing is meeting up with old friends and rivals from the Swansea league and making new friends. So if you have hung up your boots or coming to the end of your local league career come down, everyone is made welcome.
Veterans football in Swansea on 19:59 - Mar 27 with 8725 viewsJACKMANANDBOY

Well done to all those who organise this! A brilliant thing to do!

Besian Idrizaj Forever a Jack
Poll: When will Duff Revert to 4 at the Back

Veterans football in Swansea on 13:56 - Mar 28 with 8530 viewspasstheketchup

Veterans football in Swansea on 19:59 - Mar 27 by JACKMANANDBOY

Well done to all those who organise this! A brilliant thing to do!

Having played footie as a youngster to reasonable level and then hanging boots for over 30 years I still have the broadest smile at the age of 50+ finding myself lacing up toggs, come rain or shine, to kick a ball around a pitch with fellow minded veteran players.

Swansea Uni Vets has given a new lease of life to this old codger and I thank all involved for providing the opportunity to myself and others to carry on playing and enjoying the sport we love.

Absolutely Brill!
Veterans football in Swansea on 18:38 - Mar 28 with 8444 viewsshenleymun

One of my mates has joined the Vets. He loves it - playing with some good (if older) footballers is actually improving his game! And he seems to understand a bit more now about what’s happening on the pitch at the Liberty as well...
Veterans football in Swansea on 08:28 - Mar 29 with 8339 viewsswanseauniveterans

If anyone is interested in getting involved we continue to play year round. We play on a Tuesday and a Thursday from 7.00 - 8.30 pm at the university astro through May, June, July, August (Currently it is later at 8.30-9.30). We also play inter-squads on Sunday’s on the Llandarcy 3G. There is a new veterans league (35+) in the pipeline with 6 teams competing every Saturday, again at Llandarcy throughout the summer. While not organising this competition we’ll be supporting it by entering a team and it would be great if this became a fixture in the Swansea footballing calendar.
Veterans football in Swansea on 10:07 - Mar 29 with 8277 viewsPegojack

Attention, Wayne Routledge........................
Veterans football in Swansea on 10:21 - Mar 29 with 8271 viewsJACKMANANDBOY

Veterans football in Swansea on 10:07 - Mar 29 by Pegojack

Besian Idrizaj Forever a Jack
Poll: When will Duff Revert to 4 at the Back

Veterans football in Swansea on 22:45 - Mar 29 with 8155 viewspasstheketchup

Magic Daps LT10 was training and playing for Swansea Veterans last year.
Login to get fewer ads

Veterans football in Swansea on 23:01 - Mar 29 with 8132 viewsMedici

Veterans football in Swansea on 10:07 - Mar 29 by Pegojack

Such a shockingly poor poor shout for one of our best servants through tick and thin

Pretty sure (from you're posts) you're not fit to lace his boots, clean his kit or utter any form of advice anything football-related
Veterans football in Swansea on 23:19 - Mar 29 with 8126 viewsswancity

Veterans football in Swansea on 22:45 - Mar 29 by passtheketchup

Magic Daps LT10 was training and playing for Swansea Veterans last year.

Lee Trundle is playing this season forPort Talbot based side Trefelin FC with Kris OLeary and Jon Coates ..they're top of the over 40s League I believe.

Only an idiot would eat a turkey curry on Christmas day

Veterans football in Swansea on 00:52 - Mar 30 with 8091 viewsthe_oracle

Veterans football in Swansea on 23:19 - Mar 29 by swancity

Lee Trundle is playing this season forPort Talbot based side Trefelin FC with Kris OLeary and Jon Coates ..they're top of the over 40s League I believe.

Played for the Swansea Vets 40's last season. Moved to Trefelin this season.
Veterans football in Swansea on 07:32 - Mar 30 with 8066 viewsPegojack

Veterans football in Swansea on 23:01 - Mar 29 by Medici

Such a shockingly poor poor shout for one of our best servants through tick and thin

Pretty sure (from you're posts) you're not fit to lace his boots, clean his kit or utter any form of advice anything football-related

Oooo.....cutting.

I'm in bits here.
Veterans football in Swansea on 08:27 - Mar 30 with 8050 viewsDewi1jack

Veterans football in Swansea on 18:38 - Mar 28 by shenleymun

One of my mates has joined the Vets. He loves it - playing with some good (if older) footballers is actually improving his game! And he seems to understand a bit more now about what’s happening on the pitch at the Liberty as well...

"And he seems to understand a bit more now about what’s happening on the pitch at the Liberty as well..."

Maybe the refs we get could give it a go as well

Fair play to all of you.
Trying to find a local walking football/ absolutely old and knackered team around Herefordshire who train/ play on a Sunday, as my job never seems to allow me close to being home mid week.

If you wake up breathing, thats a good start to your day and you'll make many thousands of people envious.

Veterans football in Swansea on 10:10 - Jun 8 with 7620 viewsswanseauniveterans

Just an update on this information. We have started registering new and existing players for the over 40s / 45s / 50s/ 55s age group teams in the Wales Veterans League 2018/19. We welcome new players so come along to Ashleigh Road on the University Astros on a Tues or Thursday at 7 .00 pm to see what we are all about. We registered more than 120 players last year and finished the respective league programmes in 5th out of 14, 2nd out of 11, 5th out of 11 , 4th out of 11 and by winning the over 55s League.
Veterans football in Swansea on 10:50 - Jun 8 with 7573 viewsLoyal

Veterans football in Swansea on 23:01 - Mar 29 by Medici

He has stolen a living for at least 5 years, dreadful player, how he even gets away with his job title is criminal.

Nolan sympathiser, clout expert, personal friend of Leigh Dineen, advocate and enforcer of porridge swallows. The official inventor of the tit w@nk.
Poll: Who should be Swansea number 1

Veterans football in Swansea on 10:53 - Jun 8 with 7566 viewstheloneranger

Veterans football in Swansea on 23:19 - Mar 29 by swancity

He's also left Llanelli and signed for Haverfordwest

Everyday above ground ... Is a good day! 😎

Veterans football in Swansea on 10:56 - Jun 8 with 7560 viewsSmellyplumz

I'm 47 and I'd love to play for the vets but my knees are fűcked.

""Although I cannot promise or predict the future, I can guarantee one thing - the current board of directors will always fight, as we have done over the last 12 years, to work together as one with the Supporters Trust to make 100% sure that Swansea City football club remains the number one priority in all our thoughts and in every decision we make."
Poll: Huw Jenkins

Veterans football in Swansea on 12:05 - Jun 8 with 7487 viewsthe_oracle

It has been an excellent season, but as noted we don't finish just because its the summer. Training is well attended, with regular intersquads and friendlies. We also have the annual tour (this year Italy), to look forward to.

We are also looking to introduce a walking football team for those who feel the running around is getting a bit to much! Walking football is a fast growing area and is more than a bunch of old men hobbling around. All abilities and ages are welcome ( even those with dodgy knees)!
Veterans football in Swansea on 19:31 - Jun 8 with 7330 viewsangryjack

Veterans football in Swansea on 12:05 - Jun 8 by the_oracle

It has been an excellent season, but as noted we don't finish just because its the summer. Training is well attended, with regular intersquads and friendlies. We also have the annual tour (this year Italy), to look forward to.

We are also looking to introduce a walking football team for those who feel the running around is getting a bit to much! Walking football is a fast growing area and is more than a bunch of old men hobbling around. All abilities and ages are welcome ( even those with dodgy knees)!

I'm 47 would love a game again ,played welsh league most adult playing time,,with some Swansea league inbetween got arthritis in my ankles now don't know if my body would hold out,but would love a game
Veterans football in Swansea on 20:09 - Jun 8 with 7304 viewsbuilthjack

Veterans football in Swansea on 10:53 - Jun 8 by theloneranger

He's also left Llanelli and signed for Haverfordwest

Haverfordwest have always been an odd lot. They either have loads on money, or owe a fortune.
I guess signing Trunds means they have plenty at the moment.

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

Veterans football in Swansea on 22:55 - Jun 8 with 7230 viewsthe_oracle

Veterans football in Swansea on 19:31 - Jun 8 by angryjack

I'm 47 would love a game again ,played welsh league most adult playing time,,with some Swansea league inbetween got arthritis in my ankles now don't know if my body would hold out,but would love a game

Come down, give it a go. You will probably know a few of us there, we have ex Welsh league and Swansea League players. You don't have to play league games, you could just train and play in the intersquad games.
Veterans football in Swansea on 17:40 - Jun 9 with 7099 viewsangryjack

Veterans football in Swansea on 22:55 - Jun 8 by the_oracle

Come down, give it a go. You will probably know a few of us there, we have ex Welsh league and Swansea League players. You don't have to play league games, you could just train and play in the intersquad games.

Might just do that one evening,,probably just come and have a look Rico keeps nagging me as it goes
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024