Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Paul Arriola of D.C United linked 13:51 - Jan 20 with 2588 viewsSarge

25 year old USA international, he can play winger/wingback so it looks like we’re after cover for Connor. Let the puns commence!
Paul Arriola of D.C United linked on 14:16 - Jan 20 with 2523 viewseljinca

Again, stateside swansea supporter here. Also happen to be in the Washington D.C. area, so watched Arriola many times over the past few years.

He's an attacking player. He's only been used as a wingback or fullback in emergency situations, when D.C. United have had injuries to starters and back ups at those positions.

He's occasionally played in a more central role, but he's really an out and out winger. D.C. has been truly awful in past years, except for the 2/3 of the season when Rooney came over. Arriola is their only attacking threat.

He is just coming back from an ACL tear, which occurred in one of D.C. United's last games before the pandemic hit.

He's been a steady fixture in the U.S. national team for a few years - more so than Morris - as a winger. He's good at making runs and playing off of more central players. Arriola was a real threat for them in 2018 when Rooney was playing as their no 9 and they had a playmaker behind him as a no 10.

He's less of a finisher than Morris and much less of a physical presence (I think he's under 5'8"). He's definitely a 100% effort player though - he played all over the pitch in clearly uncomfortable positions when they were injury riddled last season.
Paul Arriola of D.C United linked on 14:26 - Jan 20 with 2486 viewsReslovenSwan1

I like the idea of using US players on loan in their off season if it is agreed by Steve Cooper and reviewed by Mr Scott.

I would also like to see some young Swansea players go out there to get game time. A huge opportunity to learn and develop as a player and an individual. Players like Garrick, Brandon Cooper who clearly have real talent and are well schooled and mayb good enough to feature reguarly.

Wise sage since Toshack era

Paul Arriola of D.C United linked on 14:50 - Jan 20 with 2407 viewsNotLoyal

Sounds like he needs a loan stint at Sounders.

OK I've changed it.
Poll: The FINALS : Poster of the year 2022

Paul Arriola of D.C United linked on 15:02 - Jan 20 with 2373 viewsBoundy

Rather keep Connor and develop Garrick

"In a free society, the State is the servant of the people—not the master."

Paul Arriola of D.C United linked on 15:08 - Jan 20 with 2351 viewsPrivate_Partz

Out of interest....

See the second clip. Look where he lives! Hell of a climate shock in the unlikely event of him coming here :-)

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

Paul Arriola of D.C United linked on 15:28 - Jan 20 with 2260 viewsBadlands

Wot? No jokes in poor taste?

Poll: Should the summer transfer window close before the season starts?

Paul Arriola of D.C United linked on 15:54 - Jan 20 with 2176 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Paul Arriola of D.C United linked on 15:28 - Jan 20 by Badlands

And there was me all distraught at losing the Crewe full back to Cardiff.

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

Paul Arriola of D.C United linked on 16:00 - Jan 20 with 2166 viewsLohengrin

Paul Arriola of D.C United linked on 15:28 - Jan 20 by Badlands

He sounds like a bit of tit; is that the sort of thing you were after?

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

Login to get fewer ads

Paul Arriola of D.C United linked on 16:26 - Jan 20 with 2099 viewsCatullus

Paul Arriola of D.C United linked on 16:00 - Jan 20 by Lohengrin

He sounds like a bit of tit; is that the sort of thing you were after?

Can we "nip" this in the bud please?

Reading the Stateside opinion, I think I'd say no. If we are getting wing back cover in I want a proper RWB not an emergency cover type player.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Paul Arriola of D.C United linked on 17:18 - Jan 20 with 1994 viewsReslovenSwan1

Paul Arriola of D.C United linked on 16:26 - Jan 20 by Catullus

Reading the Stateside opinion, I think I'd say no. If we are getting wing back cover in I want a proper RWB not an emergency cover type player.

Swansea are second and seem to be adding three players for the second haf push. Goykeres (because he was not very good) Palmer (because he never got going ) and MGW (because he was injured) will be replaced by three experienced full international of quality who will be desperate to suceed.

Two are only available because their host teams are out of season and Covid affected plus the excellent inks the club have in the USA. Two of the players might be available v NF thereby protecting Ayew and Lowe while generating FA cup TV cash for a potential Man City game.

The Silverstein / Levien CLN of milllions will have allowed his calculated risk to be taken . Cooper is being given the tools by the US owners. Exactly the investment the fans have been calling for. New paint for the stadium, a new pitch and three new players.
[Post edited 20 Jan 2021 17:19]

Paul Arriola of D.C United linked on 18:00 - Jan 20 with 1903 viewsKeithHaynes

Paul Arriola of D.C United linked on 16:26 - Jan 20 by Catullus

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/swanseacity/

Let us know your thoughts mate.

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

Paul Arriola of D.C United linked on 18:28 - Jan 20 with 1852 viewshobo

Paul Arriola of D.C United linked on 15:08 - Jan 20 by Private_Partz

Out of interest....

See the second clip. Look where he lives! Hell of a climate shock in the unlikely event of him coming here :-)

He doesn't live in Puerto Rico mate
Paul Arriola of D.C United linked on 18:31 - Jan 20 with 1847 viewsKeithHaynes

Paul Arriola of D.C United linked on 18:28 - Jan 20 by hobo

He doesn't live in Puerto Rico mate

Got a decent feature on him in the news section. Plug, Plug 😉

Paul Arriola of D.C United linked on 18:34 - Jan 20 with 1840 viewsBoundy

Paul Arriola of D.C United linked on 17:18 - Jan 20 by ReslovenSwan1

Swansea are second and seem to be adding three players for the second haf push. Goykeres (because he was not very good) Palmer (because he never got going ) and MGW (because he was injured) will be replaced by three experienced full international of quality who will be desperate to suceed.

Two are only available because their host teams are out of season and Covid affected plus the excellent inks the club have in the USA. Two of the players might be available v NF thereby protecting Ayew and Lowe while generating FA cup TV cash for a potential Man City game.

The Silverstein / Levien CLN of milllions will have allowed his calculated risk to be taken . Cooper is being given the tools by the US owners. Exactly the investment the fans have been calling for. New paint for the stadium, a new pitch and three new players.

The painting hasn't been finished, the new pitch was replaced under insurance and 3 players that will fit , other than that you're right

"In a free society, the State is the servant of the people—not the master."

Paul Arriola of D.C United linked on 18:37 - Jan 20 with 1839 viewseljinca

Paul Arriola of D.C United linked on 17:18 - Jan 20 by ReslovenSwan1

I will also add a few things that pop to mind from an American perspective.

Both Morris and Arriola are max effort players - they will give their all when on the pitch. Even if I'm not entirely sure where they both fit with Cooper tactically, both will push themselves and put their bodies on the line for the club. Some of the US players that have failed in Europe (Jozy Altidore at Sunderland springs to mind) don't fit that mold.

I'd also say that the U.S. national team has a ton (from a U.S. perspective) of very young prospects coming up through European academies. Pulisic at Chelsea is the first to break through, but in the friendly against Wales where the team could only call in European based players due to COVID, we saw almost an entire squad of players under 23 that are playing at big European clubs (Barca, Borussia Dortmund, Valencia, Bayern Munich). I wouldn't be surprised if U.S.-based squad players looked at that roster and decided they needed to prove themselves in Europe to stay in the national team mix.
Paul Arriola of D.C United linked on 18:40 - Jan 20 with 1826 viewsKeithHaynes

Paul Arriola of D.C United linked on 18:37 - Jan 20 by eljinca

Both Morris and Arriola are max effort players - they will give their all when on the pitch. Even if I'm not entirely sure where they both fit with Cooper tactically, both will push themselves and put their bodies on the line for the club. Some of the US players that have failed in Europe (Jozy Altidore at Sunderland springs to mind) don't fit that mold.

I'd also say that the U.S. national team has a ton (from a U.S. perspective) of very young prospects coming up through European academies. Pulisic at Chelsea is the first to break through, but in the friendly against Wales where the team could only call in European based players due to COVID, we saw almost an entire squad of players under 23 that are playing at big European clubs (Barca, Borussia Dortmund, Valencia, Bayern Munich). I wouldn't be surprised if U.S.-based squad players looked at that roster and decided they needed to prove themselves in Europe to stay in the national team mix.

I would be interested in your thoughts on him from the article on our news page by Steph mate.

Paul Arriola of D.C United linked on 18:47 - Jan 20 with 1810 viewsReslovenSwan1

Paul Arriola of D.C United linked on 18:37 - Jan 20 by eljinca

The two players if they come and impress could take Swansea to the Premeir league. The players knowing what is coming through the ranks need to prove themselves not to the international team manager but the Premier league clubs which mght include Swansea.

It is my understanding that these players salaries are well below Premier league salaries. I suspect that is the reason they might a) be released and b) willing to cme to Swansea. UK teams are insulated from Coivd by juicy TV deals.

For the US clubs wages are covered and possible transfer fees might come in. For the players big performances in the championship could mean mean big wages in the Premier league.
[Post edited 20 Jan 2021 18:56]

Paul Arriola of D.C United linked on 18:55 - Jan 20 with 1799 viewsReslovenSwan1

Paul Arriola of D.C United linked on 18:34 - Jan 20 by Boundy

The painting hasn't been finished, the new pitch was replaced under insurance and 3 players that will fit , other than that you're right

The paint bill is heading toward Mr Winter in tray "down the stretch" . The pitch insurance 'no claims bonus' will not be valid next season so that has to be budgeted in. Someone said the paint was red.

Its only natural that the minor local shareholders that have managed their affairs such that they have no money will claim that the cash from overseas owners has no real effect on the club.

Part of the cost of this calculated gamble will be paid for by dilution of the mnor shareholders percentage if the loan is not repaid. It is quite a beautiful piece of US thinking in fact, especially if Swansea are paying some DC players wage's for the time he is in Swansea. It all has poetic capitalist reasonance. I am sure Sherif Cooper will be pleased.

There is no room in the Welsh Inn for those giving their hard earned money away to English speculators. Work with the English and get half 2016 value. Work with the US people and get twice the 2016 value if all goes well. For me with Hourahaine and two Yankee gunslingers hitching the horses at the saloon it makes sense that the "Saes" smoothies take a walk and get out of town and never come back.

I expect the Chief will be heading into town shortly. Get him a whisky for me.
[Post edited 20 Jan 2021 20:31]

Paul Arriola of D.C United linked on 19:05 - Jan 20 with 1771 viewseljinca

Paul Arriola of D.C United linked on 18:40 - Jan 20 by KeithHaynes

I would be interested in your thoughts on him from the article on our news page by Steph mate.

Read through the article. I agree on most counts. Arriola has only played on the wing for the US team, and usually comes off the bench.

Arriola did play in December, not for club, but for the US national team (and scored, against El Salvador). He started for a MLS-based players only roster, and I didn't notice any diminished pace from the injury. Tough to tell in one game though, and everyone was out of form due to the pandemic.

Given that Arriola is from DC United and the ownership of the two clubs, I too am suspicious this isn't just a "rehab assignment" to get him practice time and back to full fitness during the MLS offseason. Arriola signed a 4-year extension with DCU after his injury, last summer, and is one of their key players moving forward.

Even so, as Steph correctly points out, this should not be any financial risk to the club and I can't imagine he'd be anything other that a good influence in training, even if that is all he is. Both he and Morris have a lot to prove outside of MLS if they want to stay in the national team picture, which would work well for us in terms of their motivation.
Paul Arriola of D.C United linked on 19:10 - Jan 20 with 1753 viewseljinca

Paul Arriola of D.C United linked on 18:47 - Jan 20 by ReslovenSwan1

The two players if they come and impress could take Swansea to the Premeir league. The players knowing what is coming through the ranks need to prove themselves not to the international team manager but the Premier league clubs which mght include Swansea.

It is my understanding that these players salaries are well below Premier league salaries. I suspect that is the reason they might a) be released and b) willing to cme to Swansea. UK teams are insulated from Coivd by juicy TV deals.

For the US clubs wages are covered and possible transfer fees might come in. For the players big performances in the championship could mean mean big wages in the Premier league.
[Post edited 20 Jan 2021 18:56]

Morris makes $600k US pa and Arriola is a little over $700k US pa.

Not sure how that compares to Championship salary structures (MLS has a very different and strange salary structure).
[Post edited 20 Jan 2021 19:11]
Paul Arriola of D.C United linked on 20:50 - Jan 20 with 1627 viewsdobjack2

Paul Arriola of D.C United linked on 19:05 - Jan 20 by eljinca

Read through the article. I agree on most counts. Arriola has only played on the wing for the US team, and usually comes off the bench.

Arriola did play in December, not for club, but for the US national team (and scored, against El Salvador). He started for a MLS-based players only roster, and I didn't notice any diminished pace from the injury. Tough to tell in one game though, and everyone was out of form due to the pandemic.

Given that Arriola is from DC United and the ownership of the two clubs, I too am suspicious this isn't just a "rehab assignment" to get him practice time and back to full fitness during the MLS offseason. Arriola signed a 4-year extension with DCU after his injury, last summer, and is one of their key players moving forward.

Even so, as Steph correctly points out, this should not be any financial risk to the club and I can't imagine he'd be anything other that a good influence in training, even if that is all he is. Both he and Morris have a lot to prove outside of MLS if they want to stay in the national team picture, which would work well for us in terms of their motivation.

Interesting to read the comments of someone that has watched him play as opposed to reading Wikipedia.

Two things concern me:

The ACL injury and match fitness;
Where would he play.

With the nature of the injury, lack of games and needing time to adjust to a new league how long would it take to get him to a position where he challenging for the first team.

We don’t play with wingers so for us is he an option off the bench which Morris could be or are we thinking of a wing back to cover Roberts. Again how long it would take him to be in that position.

Agree that if this ends up as a bit of a punt there is little financial risk.
Paul Arriola of D.C United linked on 18:48 - Feb 8 with 1226 viewsChief

Hes arrived. Looks like he trained today.

Poll: Rate the ref's performance today

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024