Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
B@stards 07:58 - Sep 21 with 1127 views1983

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-54232015

Read the first line of that! these rail companies are all PRIVATLEY OWNED and all from countries Italy to Honk Kong. Just because the Jeremys & the Nigel's in London are too afraid to go on the train and now stay at home and do keepy uppys in the garden we have to carry on paying for this sh!t

Never mind black or white skin these are the b@stards that are screwing all of us remember that every time you drag your arse out of bed to go to work and then work extra overtime just to earn a half tidy wage.

Privatisation doesn't work and thankfully for them a global pandemic has come along to blame it on.

B@stards on 08:29 - Sep 21 with 1096 viewsFireboy2

'The taxpayer will cover any losses over the next 18 months'

WTF

B@stards on 08:32 - Sep 21 with 1094 views1983

B@stards on 08:29 - Sep 21 by Fireboy2

'The taxpayer will cover any losses over the next 18 months'

WTF

Not only that they have been doing since March this year and any other grey areas for the last 25+ years.

B@stards on 08:38 - Sep 21 with 1078 viewsLohengrin

Is nobody going to state the obvious? If the network is being underwritten by the public then back into public ownership it has to go.

Ride the lion, chaps...

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

B@stards on 08:57 - Sep 21 with 1060 viewsProfessor

B@stards on 08:38 - Sep 21 by Lohengrin

Is nobody going to state the obvious? If the network is being underwritten by the public then back into public ownership it has to go.

Ride the lion, chaps...

We already have the situation where parts of the system are run by Dutch and German national rail companies. There has been massive subsidy since privatisation with uneven service across the country. By a strange quirk the train service here is on a Transport for Wales line and use TfW a bit to travel to meetings in South Wales and South West-considerable improvement over Arriva (owned in part by DB-German national railways). That said, the DB model of a state owned but independently run company may be a way forward. Having made local and longer-distance trips on DB over the last decade there is something to be said for the reliability and lower cost of the German system. May lack the in train 'shop' and streaming services (Hello Transpennine!), but a fair whack cheaper than the 150 quid off peak day return between Liverpool and Newcastle which essentially is a cattle truck between York and Manchester.
B@stards on 09:19 - Sep 21 with 1044 viewsProfessor

B@stards on 08:38 - Sep 21 by Lohengrin

Ride the lion, chaps...

...and to add to that, although train manufacturing is increasing in the UK, why are we still importing trains and not designing trains in the UK either. Why are we relying on Spanish and Japanese companies. Where is the 21st century Mallard?
B@stards on 09:29 - Sep 21 with 1033 viewsCatullus

I said similar to the wife 10 mins ago, on seeing the news.

Let the private company go bust then renationalise. Rather than give more money to the rich people in charge, take it over and restore the railway services. In turn, if we had better, cheaper trains it may get cars off roads, might provide more jobs (especially if we actually designed and built our own equipment) and puts profits in the exchequer isnstead of into rich peoples pockets.

Instead of spending well over 100 billion on HS2, take over the whole network and uograde the whole network.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

B@stards on 09:51 - Sep 21 with 1017 viewsFireboy2

B@stards on 09:29 - Sep 21 by Catullus

Let the private company go bust then renationalise. Rather than give more money to the rich people in charge, take it over and restore the railway services. In turn, if we had better, cheaper trains it may get cars off roads, might provide more jobs (especially if we actually designed and built our own equipment) and puts profits in the exchequer isnstead of into rich peoples pockets.

Instead of spending well over 100 billion on HS2, take over the whole network and uograde the whole network.

Hear Hear.

Another common sense post by the cat
B@stards on 09:53 - Sep 21 with 1012 viewsLohengrin

B@stards on 09:19 - Sep 21 by Professor

...and to add to that, although train manufacturing is increasing in the UK, why are we still importing trains and not designing trains in the UK either. Why are we relying on Spanish and Japanese companies. Where is the 21st century Mallard?

Have you come across this before, Prof? For those who think as we do it’s a litany of heartbreak.

Login to get fewer ads

B@stards on 09:55 - Sep 21 with 1010 viewsonehunglow

Bedside reading then Loh

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

B@stards on 10:01 - Sep 21 with 1007 viewsLohengrin

B@stards on 09:55 - Sep 21 by onehunglow

Bedside reading then Loh

Safer there than on the beach. After a few chapters the temptation to drown yourself may be just too much.

B@stards on 10:09 - Sep 21 with 1000 viewsProfessor

B@stards on 09:53 - Sep 21 by Lohengrin

Have you come across this before, Prof? For those who think as we do it’s a litany of heartbreak.

Have not.

But to me the loss of manufacturing and in particular of engineering-based sectors is the greatest shame. Greatest manufacturer of aircraft in the 1950s. Innovation in automotive industry-the mini, Jaguar E-type etc.
From cancellation of TSR-2, to allowing the collapse of mass car production, to charging towards an economy based on services. Best part of 60 years of idiocy from governments of both colours.

Deeside is still a large site for manufacturing, not least the Airbus factory in Hawarden, but that too is shrinking. Not a fault of engineering-you just need to watch F1 to realise the best cars may have German or Austrian owners, but are built and designed in the UK.
B@stards on 10:52 - Sep 21 with 982 views1983

B@stards on 08:57 - Sep 21 by Professor

We already have the situation where parts of the system are run by Dutch and German national rail companies. There has been massive subsidy since privatisation with uneven service across the country. By a strange quirk the train service here is on a Transport for Wales line and use TfW a bit to travel to meetings in South Wales and South West-considerable improvement over Arriva (owned in part by DB-German national railways). That said, the DB model of a state owned but independently run company may be a way forward. Having made local and longer-distance trips on DB over the last decade there is something to be said for the reliability and lower cost of the German system. May lack the in train 'shop' and streaming services (Hello Transpennine!), but a fair whack cheaper than the 150 quid off peak day return between Liverpool and Newcastle which essentially is a cattle truck between York and Manchester.

Don’t be mislead by the name Transport for Wales it’s owned by Kelios who in turn are a French company.

B@stards on 10:54 - Sep 21 with 979 viewsLohengrin

B@stards on 10:09 - Sep 21 by Professor

Have not.

But to me the loss of manufacturing and in particular of engineering-based sectors is the greatest shame. Greatest manufacturer of aircraft in the 1950s. Innovation in automotive industry-the mini, Jaguar E-type etc.
From cancellation of TSR-2, to allowing the collapse of mass car production, to charging towards an economy based on services. Best part of 60 years of idiocy from governments of both colours.

Deeside is still a large site for manufacturing, not least the Airbus factory in Hawarden, but that too is shrinking. Not a fault of engineering-you just need to watch F1 to realise the best cars may have German or Austrian owners, but are built and designed in the UK.

And another for you, Prof. I think we had a thread on this book a few years back. A sad tale of underinvestment, baffling myopia and outright betrayal.

B@stards on 10:59 - Sep 21 with 975 views1983

B@stards on 09:29 - Sep 21 by Catullus

The main part of what your saying is what is going to happen, from what I read the government will pay these companies to run the railway on a flat fixed rate for the next 18 months and then start stripping franchises. A lot of the middle management and made up job titles arses twitching this morning

B@stards on 20:09 - Sep 21 with 879 viewsCatullus

B@stards on 10:59 - Sep 21 by 1983

The main part of what your saying is what is going to happen, from what I read the government will pay these companies to run the railway on a flat fixed rate for the next 18 months and then start stripping franchises. A lot of the middle management and made up job titles arses twitching this morning

I can't imagine a Tory party renationalising! What would Kilk say?

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

B@stards on 20:25 - Sep 21 with 864 viewsLohengrin

B@stards on 20:09 - Sep 21 by Catullus

This isn’t the Conservative Party as we’ve known it, and protection of British manufacturing and infrastructure was always an article of faith for The Monday Club so you never know.

B@stards on 21:08 - Sep 21 with 821 viewsFlashberryjack

B@stards on 10:54 - Sep 21 by Lohengrin

And another for you, Prof. I think we had a thread on this book a few years back. A sad tale of underinvestment, baffling myopia and outright betrayal.

The crazy union leaders didn't help mind.

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

B@stards on 21:17 - Sep 21 with 809 viewsLohengrin

B@stards on 21:08 - Sep 21 by Flashberryjack

The crazy union leaders didn't help mind.

To be fair to a lot of them the only reason that you’d be describing them as “crazy” forty years after the event is because our rancid media has conditioned everybody to think along those lines.

More often than not they were engaged in a fight to protect the interests of their communities that our so-called elected representatives hadn’t the bottle to join. Capital despised them as they couldn’t be bought.

B@stards on 21:19 - Sep 21 with 807 viewsKilkennyjack

B@stards on 20:09 - Sep 21 by Catullus

Get it nationalised.

Privatisation has consistantly failed to deliver - from Track and Trace, to the London Olympics, to the railways, and the fecking Severn Bridge.

Beware of the Risen People

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024