Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Limiting Heading 08:37 - Nov 21 with 309 viewsonehunglow

Calls to limit heading in training sessions to 20.

No doubt,in a few years heading will be totally banned,which will ,like it or not,change the game radically and it seems sensible.

Now ,what about horse racing,recently the recipient of extra funding ,where falling off a 1 ton horse at 30 mph over 5 foot fences seems just as dangerous to health,not to mention boxing where getting punched in the head seems pretty damaging to the brain.

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Limiting Heading on 08:39 - Nov 21 with 305 viewsMrSwerve

We may look at heading almost like a handball foul in years to come.

Poll: Decision day - who wins the PL title?

Limiting Heading on 08:47 - Nov 21 with 297 viewsonehunglow

Limiting Heading on 08:39 - Nov 21 by MrSwerve

We may look at heading almost like a handball foul in years to come.

Interesting though Swerve innit.To me ,heading is a fundamental of football and God only know the balls are slightly better than those Charlo Lawton and Lofthouse headed.

I am clearly a dinasaur.

There is inherent risk in all sport .

As an aside,we allow smoking ,which definately kills,drinking which can and gambling which can also be lethal but it is a major sponsor in sport.

Im off on my bike to clear my head before the sport begins.

Enjoy the day

Limiting Heading on 09:05 - Nov 21 with 286 viewsfelixstowe_jack

Will all the footballers take a pay cut as they are only doing two thirds of the job? If heading is banned will it be like 5 a side football with the ball not allowed over shoulder height? How will hoof ball teams like Cardiff and managers like Colin W survive.

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

Limiting Heading on 09:14 - Nov 21 with 286 viewsGwyn737

Heading has been banned in training for under 12’s this season (you can still head in matches).

I don’t see any point to be fair - there’s very little heading going on in that age football anyway. The FA just seemed to put the rule in to babe seen to be doing something.
Limiting Heading on 09:28 - Nov 21 with 282 viewsHighjack

You’d never see a player over six foot ever again.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Limiting Heading on 09:45 - Nov 21 with 273 viewsKeithHaynes

These older guys were heading balls that were surely much heavier than those they use today with laces, mud, increasing in weight when wet ? Or was that before the 60’s ?

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

Limiting Heading on 09:49 - Nov 21 with 270 viewsonehunglow

Limiting Heading on 09:45 - Nov 21 by KeithHaynes

These older guys were heading balls that were surely much heavier than those they use today with laces, mud, increasing in weight when wet ? Or was that before the 60’s ?

Yes it was Keith.

Recent victims of dementia who played football have precipitated this which WILL change the game for sure.

As I say,it seems a good idea as regards health and safety but life is not 100& safe -never ha been.

As I say,Boxing is allowed still and when crowds come back,many more millions will be made from seeing both men basically knock each other senseless literally.And women are allowed to do the same. Stop the world,I want to get off.

Limiting Heading on 09:49 - Nov 21 with 270 viewsGwyn737

I’d always thought that but caught Geoff Hurst in the radio this week.

He’s involved in the campaign and was saying it’s more the repetitive nature of heading than the weight of the ball.
Login to get fewer ads

Limiting Heading on 11:09 - Nov 21 with 256 viewsHighjack

That was my immediate thought. Those balls back then must have been like heading water melons.

I imagine most of the damage would have been done during the training drills where they’d be constantly heading the ball for an hour or so. Plus the game was played far more in the air back then too because of the state of the pitches.

Banning heading is a stupid idea but it definitely should be limited,

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.

Limiting Heading on 11:34 - Nov 21 with 251 viewstrampie

Are footballs lighter now in the modern era than in the 60's ?, lots of players from that era seem to be having issues ?, also the game has changed as the ball is not put into the mixer like it was back in the day.

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.
Poll: UK European Union membership referendum poll

Limiting Heading on 11:41 - Nov 21 with 244 viewsLohengrin

I seem to remember seeing stars after heading clearances at school in the ‘70s, Keith. Outside of top flight football most would still have been using the brown, laced-up leather jobs that almost turned into medicine balls when the weather was wet.

Jumpers for goal posts, eh!

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

Limiting Heading on 11:43 - Nov 21 with 239 viewsKilkennyjack

Limiting Heading on 11:34 - Nov 21 by trampie

Are footballs lighter now in the modern era than in the 60's ?, lots of players from that era seem to be having issues ?, also the game has changed as the ball is not put into the mixer like it was back in the day.

True.

Bottom line is that we have to keep the players safe now that we know it causes long term damage.
I think thats it really, no more complex than that.

Beware of the Risen People

Limiting Heading on 12:11 - Nov 21 with 236 viewsHighjack

Limiting Heading on 11:43 - Nov 21 by Kilkennyjack

True.

Bottom line is that we have to keep the players safe now that we know it causes long term damage.
I think thats it really, no more complex than that.

There has to be a common sense solution. We can’t just go wrapping everyone in cotton wool from the day they’re born to stop them getting ill when they’re 90. If a player has a nasty break or tears some ligaments that could cause them long term pain too. They could struggle to walk without pain for the rest of their lives. There’s always some inherent risk that something you do when you’re young could cause you problems in the future.

Limiting Heading on 14:08 - Nov 21 with 212 viewsKeithHaynes

Limiting Heading on 11:41 - Nov 21 by Lohengrin

I seem to remember seeing stars after heading clearances at school in the ‘70s, Keith. Outside of top flight football most would still have been using the brown, laced-up leather jobs that almost turned into medicine balls when the weather was wet.

Jumpers for goal posts, eh!

I’ll pretend I can’t remember those days Loh 😉

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

Limiting Heading on 14:50 - Nov 21 with 205 viewsJohnw102

I played local league football late 50s through to the 80s, at the start we had the old leather T football with a lace in, when wet it was like heading a cannon ball, so you learnt the correct part of the head to use on it. Towards the 80s these beach balls came in, it was surprising how far you could head a ball then in comparison. Thankfully now approaching my 80s I have most of my marbles (apart from tracking to the Liberty expecting to see Swans win the EPL!) The knees however are completely fluked! perhaps they should ban kicking the ball. Think the rise in dementia is due to people living longer and the brain like any other organ getting worn out. Ah well tune in Laptop to see Swans rattle in 3 or 4 against Rotherham! COYS!

Never knew getting old would happen so quick!

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024