Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
more student accommodation 17:59 - Apr 7 with 1498 viewsbritferry

Another 350 beds, this time in the old HMRC building by the train station, hope they don't pop down that tunnel

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/local-news/former-hmrc-offices-swansea-turned

Poll: Which kid would you give money to?

more student accommodation on 19:19 - Apr 7 with 967 viewsCatullus

Best place for them, keep the houses in places like Brynmill for families. I have a nice juicy idea to upset any ardent capitalists, the government should compulsorily purchase as many HMO's as possible. and turn them back into homes then use them for council housing. Affordable housing...

How's that exHMRC, left wing enough for you?

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

more student accommodation on 19:42 - Apr 7 with 950 viewsbritferry

more student accommodation on 19:19 - Apr 7 by Catullus

Best place for them, keep the houses in places like Brynmill for families. I have a nice juicy idea to upset any ardent capitalists, the government should compulsorily purchase as many HMO's as possible. and turn them back into homes then use them for council housing. Affordable housing...

great idea.

If I was a student on my 2nd or 3rd years studying up in Singleton, then it would be much cheaper and better living with a few friends in a HMO up in the Brynmill area, as they do now, nice little walk to Uni and Uplands on your door step. I'm hearing that St Thomas & PT are becoming popular student areas too.

more student accommodation on 19:49 - Apr 7 with 938 viewsraynor94

more student accommodation on 19:19 - Apr 7 by Catullus

Brilliant post, HMOS's have ruined lovely family areas of Swansea.

You give it out, you take it back it`s all part of the game
Poll: Happy to see Martin go

more student accommodation on 20:04 - Apr 7 with 937 viewsCatullus

more student accommodation on 19:49 - Apr 7 by raynor94

Brilliant post, HMOS's have ruined lovely family areas of Swansea.

Brynmills HMO's, when not used for students have been used to house some real undesirables, druggies, alcoholics, criminals, Brynmill used to be a lovely family area and even when they broached the councils own limits for HMo's the council kept on giving permission for more.

Swansea council, ruining Swansea for decades. Hopefully the current lot will do a much better job, the signs are pretty good actually. Student accomodation well away from residential areas, a city centre being reinvented, we'll see.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

more student accommodation on 20:37 - Apr 7 with 912 viewsNortbankboy

more student accommodation on 20:04 - Apr 7 by Catullus

Brynmills HMO's, when not used for students have been used to house some real undesirables, druggies, alcoholics, criminals, Brynmill used to be a lovely family area and even when they broached the councils own limits for HMo's the council kept on giving permission for more.

Swansea council, ruining Swansea for decades. Hopefully the current lot will do a much better job, the signs are pretty good actually. Student accomodation well away from residential areas, a city centre being reinvented, we'll see.

The uni must be the biggest employer in the area.
Good news
more student accommodation on 20:40 - Apr 7 with 902 viewsonehunglow

more student accommodation on 20:04 - Apr 7 by Catullus

Yep,Brynmill was a class area.

Last time I was done there,I felt like crying.

The area devastated.

Worse is the reliance on low spending students to regenerate the area.

Good news for dope dealers though.

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

more student accommodation on 22:31 - Apr 7 with 868 viewsKilkennyjack

more student accommodation on 20:40 - Apr 7 by onehunglow

The area devastated.

You live near Liverpool 🤷‍♂️

Beware of the Risen People

more student accommodation on 22:50 - Apr 7 with 865 viewsraynor94

more student accommodation on 22:31 - Apr 7 by Kilkennyjack

You live near Liverpool 🤷‍♂️

What part of Swansea do you reside in?

You give it out, you take it back it`s all part of the game
Poll: Happy to see Martin go

Login to get fewer ads

more student accommodation on 23:57 - Apr 7 with 843 viewsjack_lord

more student accommodation on 20:40 - Apr 7 by onehunglow

The area devastated.

It hurts seeing Brynmill now compared to the past.

I lived in a few of the streets in my late teens and early twenties and could see the damage to the lovely family homes spreading through the area as unscrupulous landlords filled their pockets.

The modern student is more savvy and spends more thanks to the bank of mum and dad and numerous loans and hopefully the city centre will finally benefit and congrats may enf up in the council corner for that vision.

Hopefully we may see an improvement with the return to family houses in Brynmill and Uplands but I suspect that the constant flow of new people from out of the area may end up filling the houses.

Lord_Jack increasingly detached from the riches of kicking a ball
Poll: The E U : Stay or Leave

more student accommodation on 07:25 - Apr 8 with 781 viewsbuilthjack

more student accommodation on 23:57 - Apr 7 by jack_lord

I lived in a few of the streets in my late teens and early twenties and could see the damage to the lovely family homes spreading through the area as unscrupulous landlords filled their pockets.

The modern student is more savvy and spends more thanks to the bank of mum and dad and numerous loans and hopefully the city centre will finally benefit and congrats may enf up in the council corner for that vision.

Hopefully we may see an improvement with the return to family houses in Brynmill and Uplands but I suspect that the constant flow of new people from out of the area may end up filling the houses.

Soon to be over 30,000 students at Swansea. That's a lot.

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

more student accommodation on 07:28 - Apr 8 with 776 viewsfelixstowe_jack

more student accommodation on 07:25 - Apr 8 by builthjack

Soon to be over 30,000 students at Swansea. That's a lot.

It is one of the few growth industries in Swansea. Can only be good if more students move into purpose built accommodation leaving current shared housing to be converted back into family homes or self contained flats.

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

more student accommodation on 08:33 - Apr 8 with 758 viewsProfessor

more student accommodation on 23:57 - Apr 7 by jack_lord

The modern student is very much a consumer and expectations of accommodation,
Especially from international students are high. Liverpool has around 70,000 students across four institutions and over 40 private halls of residence (Liverpool John Moores no longer has its own) with a move towards city centre living rather than the long-standing student areas (in that the increase in student numbers are now absorbed into the city rather than there). Students and then universities are hugely important to the economy of cities now and are major employers.
Expect more of this, as Brynmill will not have the capacity to take more students and they increasingly won’t accept substandard rented houses. Fewer are into the ‘ party scene’ than the past -Swansea was always considered a party university with mediocre academic standards in the 80s and 90s, and expect more who want coffee shops and restaurants as the culture changes.
Can be a useful way to drive redevelopment with lower risk.
more student accommodation on 08:36 - Apr 8 with 746 viewsDr_Winston

I don't know how much Covid will affect overseas student recruitment, especially in the short term.

It'll be interesting to see if they can actually fill this much student space too. A few of them in Cardiff have already applied to change to normal residential use rather than student.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

more student accommodation on 08:46 - Apr 8 with 743 viewsProfessor

more student accommodation on 08:36 - Apr 8 by Dr_Winston

I don't know how much Covid will affect overseas student recruitment, especially in the short term.

It'll be interesting to see if they can actually fill this much student space too. A few of them in Cardiff have already applied to change to normal residential use rather than student.

Depends on the University and drive for recruitment- Cardiff not the most proactive and has rather rested on its laurels of being the premier Welsh University for too long. And already had a lot of University accommodation built fairly recently. Swansea, like Liverpool, had/has too much older provision. Was quite poor IMO when we visited for Open Day-say compared with Keele where my daughter is off soon.
more student accommodation on 08:57 - Apr 8 with 727 viewsfelixstowe_jack

more student accommodation on 08:46 - Apr 8 by Professor

Depends on the University and drive for recruitment- Cardiff not the most proactive and has rather rested on its laurels of being the premier Welsh University for too long. And already had a lot of University accommodation built fairly recently. Swansea, like Liverpool, had/has too much older provision. Was quite poor IMO when we visited for Open Day-say compared with Keele where my daughter is off soon.

I would hardly call the bay campus as old fashioned. A far better campus than any in Cardiff.

more student accommodation on 09:05 - Apr 8 with 722 viewsProfessor

more student accommodation on 08:57 - Apr 8 by felixstowe_jack

I would hardly call the bay campus as old fashioned. A far better campus than any in Cardiff.

But Singleton is. And has very poor student accommodation. The Bay Campus is very nice, but less than a third of provision - all health and biological sciences are at Singleton. A lot of universities are looking towards private sector halls as so expensive to develop your own-a lack of capital short term. Don’t let the Bay deceive you- Singleton is cramped and of a low standard.
more student accommodation on 09:32 - Apr 8 with 710 viewsfelixstowe_jack

more student accommodation on 09:05 - Apr 8 by Professor

But Singleton is. And has very poor student accommodation. The Bay Campus is very nice, but less than a third of provision - all health and biological sciences are at Singleton. A lot of universities are looking towards private sector halls as so expensive to develop your own-a lack of capital short term. Don’t let the Bay deceive you- Singleton is cramped and of a low standard.

Singleton is cramped but by relocating some departments to the bay campus it will make space for Singleton to be modernised.

Cardiff does not have a campus and most of its accommodation and teaching facilities are spread around Cardiff in buildings approaching 100 years old.

more student accommodation on 09:59 - Apr 8 with 705 viewsbritferry

2/3rds of Oldway House is already converted, the car park opposite the train station has a massive new build that looks a few months off being completed, now the HMRC building is to be converted... which gets you wondering, is the lease for the Adam & Eve pub on High St up for grabs???

more student accommodation on 10:03 - Apr 8 with 701 viewsNortbankboy

more student accommodation on 09:59 - Apr 8 by britferry

2/3rds of Oldway House is already converted, the car park opposite the train station has a massive new build that looks a few months off being completed, now the HMRC building is to be converted... which gets you wondering, is the lease for the Adam & Eve pub on High St up for grabs???

Used to be a great pub and the swan.

Long time ago didnt a lot of the police used to frequent the adam
more student accommodation on 10:21 - Apr 8 with 694 viewsProfessor

more student accommodation on 09:32 - Apr 8 by felixstowe_jack

Singleton is cramped but by relocating some departments to the bay campus it will make space for Singleton to be modernised.

Cardiff does not have a campus and most of its accommodation and teaching facilities are spread around Cardiff in buildings approaching 100 years old.

Much like the other civic universities in the Russell Group- Newcastle, Liverpool, Manchester, Bristol, Birmingham, Leeds. Based around a few older buildings but with massive expansion . They are not that scattered, in Cardiff’s case most are in Cathays. Swansea is far more of a campus lie Warwick, Keele, Loughborough, UEA, Lancaster or Surrey. Yes , it is hugely improved. But still will struggle against the huge infrastructure for research that places like Warwick and Surrey have. Welsh universities have a lot of catching up to do
more student accommodation on 10:30 - Apr 8 with 681 viewsDr_Winston

Spent a lot of time on the Warwick campus. It's nicely done.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

more student accommodation on 10:57 - Apr 8 with 671 viewsProfessor

more student accommodation on 10:30 - Apr 8 by Dr_Winston

Spent a lot of time on the Warwick campus. It's nicely done.

It’s not a criticism of Swansea. They are doing a fine job, like many things it Wales in lacked foresight and investment in the 70s-90s. It is a long way to catch up
more student accommodation on 12:29 - Apr 8 with 653 viewsBoundy

more student accommodation on 20:37 - Apr 7 by Nortbankboy

The uni must be the biggest employer in the area.
Good news

Employing who exactly ?

"In a free society, the State is the servant of the people—not the master."

more student accommodation on 13:06 - Apr 8 with 623 viewsJoe_bradshaw

more student accommodation on 12:29 - Apr 8 by Boundy

Employing who exactly ?

Me.

And 3,500 others.

Planet Swans Prediction League Winner Season 2013-14. Runner up 2014_15.
Poll: How many points clear of relegation will we be on Saturday night?

more student accommodation on 13:15 - Apr 8 with 618 viewsBoundy

more student accommodation on 13:06 - Apr 8 by Joe_bradshaw

Me.

And 3,500 others.

Good to hear , but I do note that out of the 60 current vacancies a fair amount are internal applicants with very little of the remaining posts appropriate to a school leaver. I'm all for it and good to see the growth of the campus but sad that there are few opportunities for our youngsters , or am I wrong ?

"In a free society, the State is the servant of the people—not the master."

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024