Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
A distinct change of style today has cost us 15:11 - Apr 17 with 1740 views9MilesHigh

Now the game is fresh in everyone's minds and before some pretend to watch it back several times over, I think we can all be honest and say that today was completely different in mindset/approach to the 2 games previously.

Gone was the patient build up play and going back through the back 4, full back to full back, looking to free up space for Matty to look up.

Gone was that extra attacking player on the pitch that so obviously tipped the balance for us in the last 2 games

And instead Cooper couldn't wait to try and prove a point, I feel, that his way was the right way.

Roberts looked absolutely lost in right midfield. I have never seen him as a slow player previously but today looked like Hourihane could give him a race. Hourihane looked way off the pace from the off and Cooper should have made changes after 30 minutes, that's no hindsight, that was bleeding obvious.

At that point we were getting over-run by the team in the bottom of the league simply because our balance was all wrong.

There is no crediting Steve Cooper for the Millwall and Sheff Weds games - clearly something went on behind the scenes there.

There is no crediting Cooper for the attacking changes today WHEN WE WERE 2 GOALS DOWN.

Today, we should have picked up the baton from those 2 games and gone for them.

And not try to shoehorn Roberts into the game simply because he's sat out the previous 2.

We looked stiff and predictable for most of the game and we've missed a big chance.

Will Steve Cooper ever be honest in a pre/post match interview - I don't think so.

After Sheff Weds:

Jay Fulton said this: "It was a tough period we were in.... However I think in the last 2 games we have looked a real attacking threat"

Cooper said this: "We've changed formation with the back 4. Not too much in front of it, there's a lot of similarities. It's hard to put your finger on exactly what's happened"

No. Cooper, Jay called it right. You are trying to pull the wool over everyone's eyes because the players forced you into changing our mentality and having a go. Cooper couldn't wait to pragmatise everything again today.

Let's hope he takes a back seat the next 4 games and more.
A distinct change of style today has cost us on 15:31 - Apr 17 with 1413 viewsmonmouth

Don't bother. Stevie Cooper's Barmy Army (literally) are out in force. See no football, hear no football, speak no football.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

A distinct change of style today has cost us on 15:31 - Apr 17 with 1410 viewsKeithHaynes

Tending to agree more and more regards Cooper, however, to be where we are is superb, but the current form doesn’t give us much hope of he continues to meddle.

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

A distinct change of style today has cost us on 15:40 - Apr 17 with 1386 viewsFireboy2

A distinct change of style today has cost us on 15:31 - Apr 17 by KeithHaynes

Tending to agree more and more regards Cooper, however, to be where we are is superb, but the current form doesn’t give us much hope of he continues to meddle.

Spot on Keith, we have to support the team no matter who is in charge and how they play, atm even though we are riding high most of us know we can do better, it frustrating but it the how it is.
A distinct change of style today has cost us on 15:55 - Apr 17 with 1367 views9MilesHigh

A distinct change of style today has cost us on 15:31 - Apr 17 by KeithHaynes

The funny thing is, Steve Cooper's Barmy Army, as Monmouth calls them, are only too quick to promote Cooper's qualities, and at the same time, deride the team/squad ("punching above our weight" / "team full of loanees and kids")

It's the players that take to the pitch, the players who defend and score the goals so they have to be credited for third place just as much as Cooper.

And the aged old argument is.... can these players play a better brand of football? Have a style of play on the pitch. I think we've seen that, just not enough.

Onto Hourihane, who admittedly, I thought had played his best game against Sheff Weds (but that wasn't a hard feat), but what does Cooper do with him now? Hourihane looked well pissed off coming off (as did Routs)

He cannot pick him for QPR - surely?
He's got to be benched, hasn't he??

How about the novel idea of defenders playing in defence, midfielders/wingers playing further up the pitch and attackers attacking? Think that could catch on.

I honestly think today was an effed up Cooper camouflage version of 352. He thought he would nail his critics on the wall and say, "see, told you so...." - oh no!!
A distinct change of style today has cost us on 15:59 - Apr 17 with 1355 viewsThornburyswan

It felt more mindset than formation to me, we looked like we went onto the pitch expecting to win & were happy to just wait for our goals - once their gaffer realised how soft we were he just pushed his side forward 10 yards at half-time & they appeared to take the game away from us with 2 decent goals (need to see both again but from first impressions Woodman didn’t cover himself with glory on either, that said the defenders in front of him were very passive on both goals).

Once we’d chucked on all the attacking players we had on the bench & they dropped the 10 yards we were back in it but could still have lost or nicked it so 2-2 is about as much as we deserved.

Interesting to see what happens on Tuesday night with QPR in decent form & probably no Ayew.
A distinct change of style today has cost us on 16:24 - Apr 17 with 1318 views9MilesHigh

A distinct change of style today has cost us on 15:59 - Apr 17 by Thornburyswan

It felt more mindset than formation to me, we looked like we went onto the pitch expecting to win & were happy to just wait for our goals - once their gaffer realised how soft we were he just pushed his side forward 10 yards at half-time & they appeared to take the game away from us with 2 decent goals (need to see both again but from first impressions Woodman didn’t cover himself with glory on either, that said the defenders in front of him were very passive on both goals).

Once we’d chucked on all the attacking players we had on the bench & they dropped the 10 yards we were back in it but could still have lost or nicked it so 2-2 is about as much as we deserved.

Interesting to see what happens on Tuesday night with QPR in decent form & probably no Ayew.

From about 10 minutes in it was clear that whatever game plan we had in our minds before the game was not working. In fact, it was diabolically not working.

We watched from minute 10 to 45 plus 4 a side that looked as lost as Roberts in right midfield. We had the odd chance against the worst side in the league (against a side that struggle to get more than 200 passes per game all season)
A distinct change of style today has cost us on 19:43 - Apr 17 with 1178 viewsbuilthjack

Perhaps your Matty could look up a bit.

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

A distinct change of style today has cost us on 19:53 - Apr 17 with 1170 views9MilesHigh

A distinct change of style today has cost us on 19:43 - Apr 17 by builthjack

Perhaps your Matty could look up a bit.

Without Matty this side would fall apart and we'd never see any passing game again.
Login to get fewer ads

A distinct change of style today has cost us on 20:22 - Apr 17 with 1133 viewsjack247

A distinct change of style today has cost us on 15:59 - Apr 17 by Thornburyswan

Mindset. Absolutely.

I think it was an almost arrogant team selection. Routledge has made the difference in the last two games. If he’s fit to play 60/70 minutes, play him for 60/70 minutes. It was as if we felt Connor had had his rest and needed to be back on the pitch..

Like Cooper didn’t respect Wycombe enough and felt we’d beat them regardless. I don’t give him the hammering on here that some do and feel he deserves some credit for where we are in the table. As it happens, it’s also a point gained on Watford, but he’s spunked a great chance to put real pressure on them with a cocky and lazy team selection.
A distinct change of style today has cost us on 20:55 - Apr 17 with 1098 viewsDJack

A distinct change of style today has cost us on 15:55 - Apr 17 by 9MilesHigh

The funny thing is, Steve Cooper's Barmy Army, as Monmouth calls them, are only too quick to promote Cooper's qualities, and at the same time, deride the team/squad ("punching above our weight" / "team full of loanees and kids")

It's the players that take to the pitch, the players who defend and score the goals so they have to be credited for third place just as much as Cooper.

And the aged old argument is.... can these players play a better brand of football? Have a style of play on the pitch. I think we've seen that, just not enough.

Onto Hourihane, who admittedly, I thought had played his best game against Sheff Weds (but that wasn't a hard feat), but what does Cooper do with him now? Hourihane looked well pissed off coming off (as did Routs)

He cannot pick him for QPR - surely?
He's got to be benched, hasn't he??

How about the novel idea of defenders playing in defence, midfielders/wingers playing further up the pitch and attackers attacking? Think that could catch on.

I honestly think today was an effed up Cooper camouflage version of 352. He thought he would nail his critics on the wall and say, "see, told you so...." - oh no!!

Amongst the funniest things from those in the Cooper brigade is that we must "give him credit" for anything that can be deemed positve (whether or not we know it to be because of him) but criticism is forbidden, because...reasons.

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan

A distinct change of style today has cost us on 21:58 - Apr 17 with 1042 viewsmonmouth

A distinct change of style today has cost us on 20:55 - Apr 17 by DJack

Amongst the funniest things from those in the Cooper brigade is that we must "give him credit" for anything that can be deemed positve (whether or not we know it to be because of him) but criticism is forbidden, because...reasons.

As Chris said, they watch the table, not the football.

Or laughably quote statistics, rather than using their eyes, as if every pass and every long ball is equal. Shame stats don’t measure mindset, intent and attitude. Nor movement into space and passing options.

Anyone that couldn’t see the difference today and in the last two games astonishes me. It was absolutely stark. If Cooper takes the plaudits for the last two, he is even more of a cabbage today for telling them to play like that. He is responsible for everything, or nothing. Mostly we’ve been cowardly, static, toothless and lacking any imagination. We’ve kept shape and played backwards, got a goal and ridden our luck and then got a late second goal. Good performances on the fingers of one hand over two years.

Cooperball.

Sell..

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

A distinct change of style today has cost us on 22:30 - Apr 17 with 1012 viewsjack247

A distinct change of style today has cost us on 21:58 - Apr 17 by monmouth

Or laughably quote statistics, rather than using their eyes, as if every pass and every long ball is equal. Shame stats don’t measure mindset, intent and attitude. Nor movement into space and passing options.

Anyone that couldn’t see the difference today and in the last two games astonishes me. It was absolutely stark. If Cooper takes the plaudits for the last two, he is even more of a cabbage today for telling them to play like that. He is responsible for everything, or nothing. Mostly we’ve been cowardly, static, toothless and lacking any imagination. We’ve kept shape and played backwards, got a goal and ridden our luck and then got a late second goal. Good performances on the fingers of one hand over two years.

Cooperball.

Sell..

Agree with most of that. I do give him credit for the last two games, but he dropped a bollock today. I think it was arrogance, first half we looked like we didn’t think the win was in doubt and weren’t busting a gut to make it happen.

Best we can hope for is this is a wake up call and Watford getting beat got us off the hook
A distinct change of style today has cost us on 22:30 - Apr 17 with 1012 views9MilesHigh

A distinct change of style today has cost us on 21:58 - Apr 17 by monmouth

Cooperball.

Sell..

Spot on.

His comments after the Sheff Weds game sum him up for me.

Jay gets a rare interview and calls it as we all saw it....

'we've been a lot more attacking'

Without doubt Jay, the last 2 games have actually been a good watch. Not perfect by any stretch but a style and a plan and, yeah, an attacking intent. You'll generally be more attacking with more attacking players on the pitch.

Onto Cooper, who didn't seem to want to give much praise for the 2 performances, which makes me wonder why.

This is the full extract:

"We’ve changed formation with the back four. Not too much in front of it, there’s a lot of similarities. It’s hard to put your finger on exactly what’s happened. You have to give the opposition some credit. I think we’ve just committed to our plan even more and we’ve got back up to the levels that we should be at."

There's something completey disingenuous with this guy. Those 2 games were world's apart from anything since around January and this horror show today.

But he never fails to pop himself in the shop window.
A distinct change of style today has cost us on 00:09 - Apr 18 with 945 viewsYossarian

With Aden Bothroyd leaving the England U21 setup I wouldn’t be surprised to see Cooper take hatjob. He’s now got some club management under his belt so the CV Building is going well. Quite possible that the close season will see us looking for a new manager anyway.

"Yossarian- the very sight of the name made him shudder.There were so many esses in it. It just had to be subversive" (Catch 22)

A distinct change of style today has cost us on 00:49 - Apr 18 with 926 viewsJoe_bradshaw

A distinct change of style today has cost us on 00:09 - Apr 18 by Yossarian

With Aden Bothroyd leaving the England U21 setup I wouldn’t be surprised to see Cooper take hatjob. He’s now got some club management under his belt so the CV Building is going well. Quite possible that the close season will see us looking for a new manager anyway.

He said he’s not interested which is why he doesn’t appear anywhere on the betting odds for the post.

Planet Swans Prediction League Winner Season 2013-14. Runner up 2014_15.
Poll: How many points clear of relegation will we be on Saturday night?

A distinct change of style today has cost us on 07:32 - Apr 18 with 861 viewsBrynmill_Jack

A distinct change of style today has cost us on 19:53 - Apr 17 by 9MilesHigh

Without Matty this side would fall apart and we'd never see any passing game again.

I agree with everything you’ve said on this thread apart from this. There is a good player in there somewhere- if the burden of the captaincy was removed from him I dare say we’d see it but he’s not imposing himself at all on games - which you want your “best” midfield player and captain to do.

Hourihane on the other hand doesn’t want to get involved. If that’s the case then he’s defiling that great white shirt. Bench him until the end of the season. Routledge had every reason to feel p*ssed off when substituted (wrongly) yesterday - Hourihane had a bloody cheek to be.

Cooper is a bit of a footballing Narcissus - and it may have cost us the autos yesterday. If by extension we fail in the play offs get rid - I hope someone at the club is making some succession planning right now.

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

A distinct change of style today has cost us on 07:46 - Apr 18 with 850 viewsangryjack

A distinct change of style today has cost us on 07:32 - Apr 18 by Brynmill_Jack

I agree with everything you’ve said on this thread apart from this. There is a good player in there somewhere- if the burden of the captaincy was removed from him I dare say we’d see it but he’s not imposing himself at all on games - which you want your “best” midfield player and captain to do.

Hourihane on the other hand doesn’t want to get involved. If that’s the case then he’s defiling that great white shirt. Bench him until the end of the season. Routledge had every reason to feel p*ssed off when substituted (wrongly) yesterday - Hourihane had a bloody cheek to be.

Cooper is a bit of a footballing Narcissus - and it may have cost us the autos yesterday. If by extension we fail in the play offs get rid - I hope someone at the club is making some succession planning right now.

Grimes is a good player even hourihane is and a few more but coopers style has made some of our players look poor..Grimes won every player year award under potter as we played quick interlocking football with wide men where we switched play quickly..always options on..under cooper the play is pedestrianised and slow with hardly any movement in behind the opposition its tight and solid football...boring football which makes good footballers look worse
A distinct change of style today has cost us on 08:02 - Apr 18 with 837 viewsjack247

A distinct change of style today has cost us on 07:32 - Apr 18 by Brynmill_Jack

Hourihane is a weird one. I know it’s only a sample of one, but my Villa mate was raving about him when we signed him. Odd thing is, it wasn’t really his free kicks or his shooting, it was all about him being a leader, a warrior, the type that would spill blood for the shirt and rouse the players around him. Couldn’t contrast more with the player we’ve got.

I don’t think Smith is the most technical player, but he works hard, does the defensive stuff and keeps the ball ticking over. That’s got to put him ahead of Hourihane now.
A distinct change of style today has cost us on 08:36 - Apr 18 with 799 viewsfelixstowe_jack

Can't think why the anti Roberts brigade are out in force today. He had the only two shots on targets in the first half and put in a superb cross for our second goal. Thankfully Cullen showed determination to get on the end of it.

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

A distinct change of style today has cost us on 09:13 - Apr 18 with 770 viewsBrynmill_Jack

A distinct change of style today has cost us on 08:02 - Apr 18 by jack247

Hourihane is a weird one. I know it’s only a sample of one, but my Villa mate was raving about him when we signed him. Odd thing is, it wasn’t really his free kicks or his shooting, it was all about him being a leader, a warrior, the type that would spill blood for the shirt and rouse the players around him. Couldn’t contrast more with the player we’ve got.

I don’t think Smith is the most technical player, but he works hard, does the defensive stuff and keeps the ball ticking over. That’s got to put him ahead of Hourihane now.

Yes agreed. We can’t be going into battle with players hiding. Smith has done nothing wrong so let’s give him a go.

A distinct change of style today has cost us on 09:17 - Apr 18 with 761 viewsBrynmill_Jack

A distinct change of style today has cost us on 07:46 - Apr 18 by angryjack

Grimes is a good player even hourihane is and a few more but coopers style has made some of our players look poor..Grimes won every player year award under potter as we played quick interlocking football with wide men where we switched play quickly..always options on..under cooper the play is pedestrianised and slow with hardly any movement in behind the opposition its tight and solid football...boring football which makes good footballers look worse

That may well have something to do with it but grimes in fairness doesn’t hide from chasing , tackling and winning the ball. Hourihane to me isn’t doing the non negotiables - therefore doesn’t deserve to be picked. It’s like having a 30 k George Byers but with free kick ability. Apart from one cracking shot in the first 15 minutes what did he do? Nothing!

A distinct change of style today has cost us on 10:39 - Apr 18 with 721 views9MilesHigh

A distinct change of style today has cost us on 07:46 - Apr 18 by angryjack

Can't argue with the vast majority of that.

For me, you take Matty out of this team and considering the style Cooper sets his teams up to play we'd see virtually no football at all from us

If the word pragmatic is even remotely complimentary for these types of manager, Cooper, Mourinho, etc, then without a Matt Grimes it would become Warnock or Fat Sam esque and I'm not sure any football person should be looking for compliments for their general style.

The Captaincy is also no problem, certainly no burden, I used to think this but have seen, especially over this last season that Matty captains more by deed than voice and that is every much a top trait of the role as screaming at players. He leads by example.

He's the one that will always come looking to help a team mate out, never hide or shirk responsibility and will always put himself on the line for us. Literally. He battles for everything in midfield and does a hell of a job putting out fires and even last ditch blocks and clearances in our own box.

The boy is also a true footballer and looks to play the game in the manner and tradition we've become accustomed to the last 14 years barring certain obvious periods.

He's that warrior Jack247 talks about, which leads me onto the part I would question in your post. I agree Hourihane can play decent football and in the right set up would be a lot better than we've seen. I just question his raw ingredients. Someone who can't run properly will always be limited in the modern game so his physical attributes are pretty much non existent.

He's that quintessential quarter back you bring on for spot kicks, therefore a luxury player we can do without really.

Totally agree with the comments referring to Cooper strangling the life out of our football though.
A distinct change of style today has cost us on 11:53 - Apr 18 with 672 viewsCatullus

Was it the change in style that cost us or was it simply that so many players underperformed? We looked Ok for 7 mins, we were looking forward and in that short time we made several forward passes, dangerous passes. The Ayew went off and we stopped. even at 1 down we didn't put a spurt on, at 2 down we were still pedestrian.

Hourihane neer helps, he's coasting and should be dropped. Lowe was guilty of coasting for a lot of it. It was realy poor for 75 minutes. I think it was down to players not trying hard enough as much as anything.
Do our players think we're safe in the play offs already and that's good enough?

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

A distinct change of style today has cost us on 12:08 - Apr 18 with 653 views9MilesHigh

A distinct change of style today has cost us on 11:53 - Apr 18 by Catullus

Was it the change in style that cost us or was it simply that so many players underperformed? We looked Ok for 7 mins, we were looking forward and in that short time we made several forward passes, dangerous passes. The Ayew went off and we stopped. even at 1 down we didn't put a spurt on, at 2 down we were still pedestrian.

Hourihane neer helps, he's coasting and should be dropped. Lowe was guilty of coasting for a lot of it. It was realy poor for 75 minutes. I think it was down to players not trying hard enough as much as anything.
Do our players think we're safe in the play offs already and that's good enough?

There was a distinct change of approach for me before even a ball was kicked.

I commented on the Swans Twitter page that Cooper couldn't wait to get another defender back into the fray and lo and behold we lost attacking construction.

More balls were going long, less patience, less passing along the back 4 and the odd chance aside (please always try to bear in mind this was Wycombe we were playing not Norwich) we really started to lose our way.

From 20 mins in to being 2 goals down we had lost any control of the game

That's when it was clear to anyone with a brain that we needed to do something.
A distinct change of style today has cost us on 13:57 - Apr 18 with 621 viewsBrynmill_Jack

A distinct change of style today has cost us on 11:53 - Apr 18 by Catullus

“We looked ok for 7 minutes”. Really ? Was it that long???

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024