Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Is this necessary? 08:03 - Nov 2 with 1620 viewsKeithHaynes

This post has been edited by an administrator

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

Is this necessary? on 08:21 - Nov 2 with 1144 viewsLohengrin

Doesn’t pepper all, or just about all, come from India?

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

Is this necessary? on 08:44 - Nov 2 with 1118 viewsLohengrin

After a quick rummage around I’ve got the answer, Keith. Yes, it is apparently necessary.

As of the start of this year ”Non-EU is a technical labelling term used in the single market when it's a blend from multiple countries.

It's a requirement of the EU.”

https://www.nibusinessinfo.co.uk/content/eu-exit-food-and-drink-labelling-change

Is this necessary? on 10:53 - Nov 2 with 1070 viewsJACKMANANDBOY

Is this necessary? on 08:44 - Nov 2 by Lohengrin

After a quick rummage around I’ve got the answer, Keith. Yes, it is apparently necessary.

As of the start of this year ”Non-EU is a technical labelling term used in the single market when it's a blend from multiple countries.

https://www.nibusinessinfo.co.uk/content/eu-exit-food-and-drink-labelling-change

Judging by the comments on the original Twitter feed about 99 percent prefer to be " outraged by the racism of this labelling " or similar. The other 1 percent have done some research.

Besian Idrizaj Forever a Jack
Poll: When will Duff Revert to 4 at the Back

Is this necessary? on 11:15 - Nov 2 with 1055 viewsProfessor

Yes Loh-most pepper comes from India. Spices like pepper are the only food it is legal to irradiate for food safety reasons in the UK and EU.

I'm trying for the life of me to work out why anyone is offended by that. On top of that someone is flapping over the union flag. I'm, as a staunch remainer, but perfectly happy to see that on food as I know it supports our excellent farmers. Morrisons have used union flag logos for as long as I can recall (1998ish) as does Red Tractor.
Is this necessary? on 11:20 - Nov 2 with 1052 viewsLohengrin

Is this necessary? on 10:53 - Nov 2 by JACKMANANDBOY

Judging by the comments on the original Twitter feed about 99 percent prefer to be " outraged by the racism of this labelling " or similar. The other 1 percent have done some research.

2021, eh? She’s been a beauty.

The outraged Twitter chap bills himself as a spokesman for some sort of London-based economics forum. You’d think he may possess the basics of trading standards, wouldn’t you?

Is this necessary? on 11:26 - Nov 2 with 1045 viewsLohengrin

Is this necessary? on 11:15 - Nov 2 by Professor

Yes Loh-most pepper comes from India. Spices like pepper are the only food it is legal to irradiate for food safety reasons in the UK and EU.

I'm trying for the life of me to work out why anyone is offended by that. On top of that someone is flapping over the union flag. I'm, as a staunch remainer, but perfectly happy to see that on food as I know it supports our excellent farmers. Morrisons have used union flag logos for as long as I can recall (1998ish) as does Red Tractor.

I’ve got a tray of free range eggs in the fridge, Prof. The green packaging sports a big dragon motif and the narrative is entirely in Welsh. The eggs are the free-range produce of proud Glamorgan chickens.

I wonder if I searched Twitter If I’d stumble across outraged chickens from Gwynedd or Ceredigion clucking they were just as proud, if not more so, than those chippy buggers from Glamorgan?

Is this necessary? on 11:31 - Nov 2 with 1042 viewsJACKMANANDBOY

Is this necessary? on 11:20 - Nov 2 by Lohengrin

The outraged Twitter chap bills himself as a spokesman for some sort of London-based economics forum. You’d think he may possess the basics of trading standards, wouldn’t you?

You wonder what kind of training people get these days around decision making, this was drummed into me in my first job.

First - Establish the Facts.

Quite simple.

Is this necessary? on 11:35 - Nov 2 with 1039 viewsJACKMANANDBOY

Is this necessary? on 11:26 - Nov 2 by Lohengrin

I’ve got a tray of free range eggs in the fridge, Prof. The green packaging sports a big dragon motif and the narrative is entirely in Welsh. The eggs are the free-range produce of proud Glamorgan chickens.

I wonder if I searched Twitter If I’d stumble across outraged chickens from Gwynedd or Ceredigion clucking they were just as proud, if not more so, than those chippy buggers from Glamorgan?

In defence of the Glamorgan farmers, If they are free rage they may have already visited Gwynedd and Ceredigion?

Login to get fewer ads

Is this necessary? on 11:37 - Nov 2 with 1035 viewsLohengrin

Is this necessary? on 11:35 - Nov 2 by JACKMANANDBOY

In defence of the Glamorgan farmers, If they are free rage they may have already visited Gwynedd and Ceredigion?

Is this necessary? on 11:46 - Nov 2 with 1026 viewsCatullus

Is this necessary? on 11:35 - Nov 2 by JACKMANANDBOY

Free rage, there's plenty of that on social media.

Sorry if that's rubbing non EU salt into the wounds.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Is this necessary? on 12:04 - Nov 2 with 1012 viewsProfessor

Is this necessary? on 11:26 - Nov 2 by Lohengrin

How do you know they are not sneaky German or Dutch immigrants masquerading as from Glamorgan?

Very flippant-but most layers are German or Dutch genetic stock and most come from one or two large hatcheries -I go to one in Warwickshire sometimes-about half of the UK's egg producing chickens come from there. Most of our meat (broiler) chickens are Scottish genetic stock, but we need more of these and have hatcheries all over the UK. Production and supply chains are very international-hence the need for labelling. Morrison's and Waitrose are a lot more careful with their sources of produce -hence not as caught up in the Horse Meat scandal a few years ago as the other retailers

But we both get the point-entirely sensible to buy local produce for so many reasons. That's not being protectionist or acting exceptionally, just what everyone should do.
Is this necessary? on 12:25 - Nov 2 with 1003 viewsDr_Parnassus

They did the worst possible thing and apologised to these people.

It only feeds their madness.

Swansea Independent Poster of the Year 2021 and 2022.
Poll: Would you swap Ayew for Piroe?

Is this necessary? on 12:32 - Nov 2 with 994 viewsLohengrin

Is this necessary? on 12:04 - Nov 2 by Professor

How do you know they are not sneaky German or Dutch immigrants masquerading as from Glamorgan?

Very flippant-but most layers are German or Dutch genetic stock and most come from one or two large hatcheries -I go to one in Warwickshire sometimes-about half of the UK's egg producing chickens come from there. Most of our meat (broiler) chickens are Scottish genetic stock, but we need more of these and have hatcheries all over the UK. Production and supply chains are very international-hence the need for labelling. Morrison's and Waitrose are a lot more careful with their sources of produce -hence not as caught up in the Horse Meat scandal a few years ago as the other retailers

But we both get the point-entirely sensible to buy local produce for so many reasons. That's not being protectionist or acting exceptionally, just what everyone should do.

I think these ones run around wearing Colin Metson keeper hats.

Is this necessary? on 12:34 - Nov 2 with 993 viewsLohengrin

Is this necessary? on 12:25 - Nov 2 by Dr_Parnassus

They did the worst possible thing and apologised to these people.

It only feeds their madness.

Sorry we adhere to legal labelling requirements?

Is this necessary? on 12:49 - Nov 2 with 981 viewsFlynnidine_Zidownes

Is this necessary? on 11:20 - Nov 2 by Lohengrin

Double barrelled name, beret, drinking white wine through a straw. His picture speaks a million words.
Is this necessary? on 13:01 - Nov 2 with 971 viewsLohengrin

Is this necessary? on 12:49 - Nov 2 by Flynnidine_Zidownes

Double barrelled name, beret, drinking white wine through a straw. His picture speaks a million words.

The volume of complete fruit loops that inhabit Twitter is astonishing. It must be where they call home after most the old asylums were closed down.

Is this necessary? on 17:56 - Nov 2 with 874 viewsKilkennyjack

But but …. I thought we took back control…?

Why are the dictators at the EU telling us how to label our proud British chickens…?

We should tell them to shuv their EU laws up their bums.
Why aren’t we telling them that ?

Where is our bulldog blitz spirit ? Up yours Delors …

Beware of the Risen People

Is this necessary? on 19:19 - Nov 2 with 856 viewsLohengrin

Is this necessary? on 17:56 - Nov 2 by Kilkennyjack

But but …. I thought we took back control…?

Why are the dictators at the EU telling us how to label our proud British chickens…?

We should tell them to shuv their EU laws up their bums.
Why aren’t we telling them that ?

Where is our bulldog blitz spirit ? Up yours Delors …

Morrison probably hadn’t got around to changing the packing template, I suspect? I don’t imagine chicken crowns top the list of corporate priorities up at Morrison’s Bradford HQ.

Just picking up on a point the Prof made on this thread about the importance of buying local, a point I’ve been hammering away at for years, in this week of COP26 when the scale of global issues are being laid bare it’s an issue that needs to be turned into a Crusade.

Localised production, localised supply chains, are now an absolute imperative. It’s not enough to simply acknowledge things have to be done differently, BE the difference.

Is this necessary? on 20:48 - Nov 2 with 825 viewsKilkennyjack

Is this necessary? on 19:19 - Nov 2 by Lohengrin

Morrison probably hadn’t got around to changing the packing template, I suspect? I don’t imagine chicken crowns top the list of corporate priorities up at Morrison’s Bradford HQ.

Just picking up on a point the Prof made on this thread about the importance of buying local, a point I’ve been hammering away at for years, in this week of COP26 when the scale of global issues are being laid bare it’s an issue that needs to be turned into a Crusade.

Localised production, localised supply chains, are now an absolute imperative. It’s not enough to simply acknowledge things have to be done differently, BE the difference.

So turning our backs on our closest market, the EU, is bonkers.

Liz Truss wants us to sell dead pigs to Mexico.
I am not making this up, i wish i was.

Is this necessary? on 00:07 - Nov 3 with 769 viewsKilkennyjack

From the horses mouth …

Is this necessary? on 08:46 - Nov 3 with 718 viewsfelixstowe_jack

Is this necessary? on 00:07 - Nov 3 by Kilkennyjack

From the horses mouth …

Was part of the brexit agreement but from October 2022 the labelling will be changed to "non UK" as new food labelling regulations come into force.

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

Is this necessary? on 09:16 - Nov 3 with 694 viewsCatullus

From the horses mouth …

Yes, from the horses mouth saying they are adhering to BRITISH regulations, sounds like control to me!

I don't get them apologising for following the rules. That's the world today though, you can't upset the Twitterati.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Is this necessary? on 10:06 - Nov 3 with 676 viewsLohengrin

From the horses mouth …

Well they can’t remove the ‘non-EU’ tag so what do you suppose they will change? If that happens it’s going to cause an absolute shit-storm across social media with the red-tops wading in like it’s every bank holiday rolled into one.

I haven’t long come back from Morrison as it goes. Myself and the youngest had our marching orders but guess what? French cheese in there was packaged with a tricolour, German sausage with the Bundesflagge, Italian salami with Il Tricolore and so on to demonstrate their provenance. Strangely enough neither of us fainted at the sight of a flag, she didn’t stamp her feet and I didn’t wobble or dance the dickey-do.

I did end up spending three times what I thought I probably would though, she’s not coming again!

Is this necessary? on 11:57 - Nov 3 with 657 viewsProfessor

Is this necessary? on 10:06 - Nov 3 by Lohengrin

Well they can’t remove the ‘non-EU’ tag so what do you suppose they will change? If that happens it’s going to cause an absolute shit-storm across social media with the red-tops wading in like it’s every bank holiday rolled into one.

I haven’t long come back from Morrison as it goes. Myself and the youngest had our marching orders but guess what? French cheese in there was packaged with a tricolour, German sausage with the Bundesflagge, Italian salami with Il Tricolore and so on to demonstrate their provenance. Strangely enough neither of us fainted at the sight of a flag, she didn’t stamp her feet and I didn’t wobble or dance the dickey-do.

I did end up spending three times what I thought I probably would though, she’s not coming again!

The labelling is (correctly in my view) a requirement. If a single source, then the country should be listed. In something like a seasoning blend then Non-EU, EU or a combination is fine, as the sources may be from several countries. The US is the main country that resists having a country of origin for foodstuffs. But that's a story for another day.

To read into this some pro-Brexit move by Morrison's is frankly, idiotic. Our EU views differ , as we have discussed amicably in an adult way a couple of years back. I quite like to buy British food and like seeing the Union Flag, Saltire, Ddraig Goch and various regional English flags such as on a product from Yorkshire or Cornwall to denote regional produce. Those leading pro-brexiters Aldi are at the forefront of this of course.
Is this necessary? on 15:11 - Nov 3 with 626 viewsLohengrin

Is this necessary? on 11:57 - Nov 3 by Professor

The labelling is (correctly in my view) a requirement. If a single source, then the country should be listed. In something like a seasoning blend then Non-EU, EU or a combination is fine, as the sources may be from several countries. The US is the main country that resists having a country of origin for foodstuffs. But that's a story for another day.

To read into this some pro-Brexit move by Morrison's is frankly, idiotic. Our EU views differ , as we have discussed amicably in an adult way a couple of years back. I quite like to buy British food and like seeing the Union Flag, Saltire, Ddraig Goch and various regional English flags such as on a product from Yorkshire or Cornwall to denote regional produce. Those leading pro-brexiters Aldi are at the forefront of this of course.

M & S too, Prof. They’ve been labelling produce up with the appropriate flags and emblems for as long as I can remember. It’s helpful.

I’ve been reading this morning about people complaining to Morrison they have felt “intimidated” by the sight of a Union Flag on a sack of King Edward’s!

Good grief!

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024