Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Stairway to Heaven 20:35 - Jun 9 with 10646 viewsGowerjack

One for the guitarists and musicians on here.

As you may be aware Led Zeppelin are being sued by the family of former Spirit guitar player Randy California claiming they copied his song Taurus in the famous and very lucrative Stairway to Heaven.

Have a look at this for instance..

So my question is guilty or not guilty?

And yes before any smart alec chimes in I know they have previous in this respect but I'm genuinely interested in what the guitarists on here make of it....

And it makes me wonder....

[Post edited 9 Jun 2016 20:44]

Plastic since 1974
Poll: Is ECB for tyranny?

Stairway to Heaven on 20:37 - Jun 9 with 4274 viewsTreforys_Jack

Stairway to heaven - Denied
Stairway to Heaven on 20:41 - Jun 9 with 4266 viewsexiledclaseboy

Guilty. Obviously. Spirit opened for Zep prior to Stairway to Heaven and played Taurus every night. May have been unconscious plagiarism of course but given Zep's penchant for nicking other people's stuff it's unlikely. It's only a small part of the song mind. They probably nicked the rest from elsewhere. Boom.

But I don't play guitar so what do I know eh.

Poll: Tory leader

Stairway to Heaven on 20:54 - Jun 9 with 4239 viewsDr_Winston

Jimmy Page has a long track record of nicking other peoples stuff (and shagging underage girls too) so no doubt he "borrowed" this for Stairway.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Stairway to Heaven on 21:02 - Jun 9 with 4217 viewsDarran

Don't f*cking care if they're found guilty they should cough up STH is an awesome song.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Stairway to Heaven on 21:12 - Jun 9 with 4201 viewsdickythorpe

Too stoned to realise someone else had already come up with their ideas.

Any nirvana fans ever listened to a scottish band called the vaselines? They predate nirvana by quite a few years.
Stairway to Heaven on 21:20 - Jun 9 with 4190 viewsGowerjack

Stairway to Heaven on 20:41 - Jun 9 by exiledclaseboy

Guilty. Obviously. Spirit opened for Zep prior to Stairway to Heaven and played Taurus every night. May have been unconscious plagiarism of course but given Zep's penchant for nicking other people's stuff it's unlikely. It's only a small part of the song mind. They probably nicked the rest from elsewhere. Boom.

Unconscious Plagarism!

As suffered by the late George Harrison....

And yes as both you and DWOB have pointed out Page does have form in this regard.

But that wasn't really my question..

It was...

If you play guitar whats your opinion?

Cos it may make a difference.

Plastic since 1974

Stairway to Heaven on 21:25 - Jun 9 with 4175 viewscrackerjack

Almost certainly ripped off IMO

"Lead me from tortured dreams Childhood themes of nights alone...."

Stairway to Heaven on 21:43 - Jun 9 with 4150 viewsLord_Bony

Plant and Page wrote the song in Machylleth in an old cottage over a period of a few nights.

Certainly sounds as if the main riff in A minor was sub consciously ripped off Spirit.

But that happens lots of times...listen to Parisienne Walkiways ripped off from a Brazillian quick step tango song.

Anyways, Stairway is a classic for radio and will still be played for many centuries to come....heres the song.

PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE THIRD PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD. "Per ardua ad astra"
Poll: iS tHERE lIFE aFTER dEATH

Login to get fewer ads

Stairway to Heaven on 21:53 - Jun 9 with 4134 viewsGowerjack

Stairway to Heaven on 21:43 - Jun 9 by Lord_Bony

Plant and Page wrote the song in Machylleth in an old cottage over a period of a few nights.

Certainly sounds as if the main riff in A minor was sub consciously ripped off Spirit.

But that happens lots of times...listen to Parisienne Walkiways ripped off from a Brazillian quick step tango song.

Anyways, Stairway is a classic for radio and will still be played for many centuries to come....heres the song.

That main riff in Am...

Is sort of the point isnt it

A descending bass riff against a minor chord

We are all guilty then....

Plastic since 1974

Stairway to Heaven on 21:57 - Jun 9 with 4126 viewsLord_Bony

Lets face it theres only 12 notes to play about with and chord progressions have to be put in a certain order for it to fit in with the time and melody of the song.

So only a matter of time till one song sounds the same as the other...but I still maintain a lot of it is done subconsciously not deliberate.

PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE THIRD PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD. "Per ardua ad astra"
Poll: iS tHERE lIFE aFTER dEATH

Stairway to Heaven on 22:01 - Jun 9 with 4104 viewsDarran

Stairway to Heaven on 21:57 - Jun 9 by Lord_Bony

Lets face it theres only 12 notes to play about with and chord progressions have to be put in a certain order for it to fit in with the time and melody of the song.

So only a matter of time till one song sounds the same as the other...but I still maintain a lot of it is done subconsciously not deliberate.

When The Levee Breaks is the best one they wrote anyway.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Stairway to Heaven on 22:06 - Jun 9 with 4106 viewsDr_Winston

Stairway to Heaven on 21:57 - Jun 9 by Lord_Bony

There are well over 200 million combinations of twelve notes. I think we can safely assume that similarity was not accidental.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Stairway to Heaven on 22:06 - Jun 9 with 4102 viewsLoyal

Stairway to Heaven on 21:53 - Jun 9 by Gowerjack

That main riff in Am...

Is sort of the point isnt it

A descending bass riff against a minor chord

We are all guilty then....

Bass guitar riff 👍

Nolan sympathiser, clout expert, personal friend of Leigh Dineen, advocate and enforcer of porridge swallows. The official inventor of the tit w@nk.
Poll: Who should be Swansea number 1

Stairway to Heaven on 22:09 - Jun 9 with 4097 viewsGowerjack

Stairway to Heaven on 22:06 - Jun 9 by Loyal

Bass guitar riff 👍

Now now.

No need.

Plastic since 1974

Stairway to Heaven on 22:14 - Jun 9 with 4090 viewsGowerjack

Stairway to Heaven on 22:06 - Jun 9 by Dr_Winston

There are well over 200 million combinations of twelve notes. I think we can safely assume that similarity was not accidental.

Ok.

Thats a fair point.

But the descending riff in both songs is very common and features in gazillilions of other songs but STH has a counterpoint that the other song lacks.

On such small differences......

Plastic since 1974

Stairway to Heaven on 22:42 - Jun 9 with 4043 viewsItchySphincter

Are only guitarists qualified to hear what goes in their ears?

‘……. like a moth to Itchy’s flame ……’
Poll: Planet Swans or Planet Swans? Which one's you favourite.

Stairway to Heaven on 22:44 - Jun 9 with 4036 viewsItchySphincter

This has been doing the rounds for years so the only surprise is that it's taken this long to sue.

‘……. like a moth to Itchy’s flame ……’
Poll: Planet Swans or Planet Swans? Which one's you favourite.

Stairway to Heaven on 22:53 - Jun 9 with 4027 viewsGowerjack

Stairway to Heaven on 22:42 - Jun 9 by ItchySphincter

Are only guitarists qualified to hear what goes in their ears?

No

It's just that someone who plays the guitar may well have a different opinion to a non player.

And that may be a the crux of what could be a very expensive decision.

Plastic since 1974

Stairway to Heaven on 23:21 - Jun 9 with 4004 viewsKerouac

It's not plagiarism for me.

We've all wrote songs where the chord progression and the bass line descends...he'd obviously heard that song and it's similar but there's a reason why one sells millions of copies and the other doesn't, one version is sprinkled with magic.

What makes a song special isn't the order of the notes it's the spaces inbetween, it's the sound of the whole band, the charisma etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ss9VZ1FHxy0
Poll: Which manager should replace Russell Martin (2) ?

Stairway to Heaven on 00:43 - Jun 10 with 3945 viewsyescomeon

Stairway to Heaven on 22:01 - Jun 9 by Darran

When The Levee Breaks is the best one they wrote anyway.

With you there. Still sounds fresh even today. The drums on that are just out of this world.

Upthecity!

Stairway to Heaven on 05:59 - Jun 10 with 3915 viewsNeiltheTaylor

Stairway to Heaven on 20:41 - Jun 9 by exiledclaseboy

The intro to Terry Reid's "July" is also very similar...

Joe_bradshaw -I thought the cryochamber was the new name for Cardiff's stadium.

Stairway to Heaven on 07:09 - Jun 10 with 3894 viewsGowerjack

Stairway to Heaven on 05:59 - Jun 10 by NeiltheTaylor

The intro to Terry Reid's "July" is also very similar...

I've not heard this one before...

Sort of proves my point however

Plastic since 1974

Stairway to Heaven on 08:08 - Jun 10 with 3860 viewsPhaedrus

No one owns the notes.

And what is good Phaedrus, and what is not good. Need we ask anyone to tell us these things?

Stairway to Heaven on 08:30 - Jun 10 with 3846 viewsmonmouth

Stairway to Heaven on 08:08 - Jun 10 by Phaedrus

No one owns the notes.

This is my view. Even if the tune was "used as inspiration" the song as a whole is palpably different and a masterpiece in its own right. If Taurus was any good people would buy that too.

As long as it's not a direct copy of the song , just STFU. Too many Lawyers ruining the world driving the money and compensation culture and looking for perceived slights (see Gary...I agree with you...).

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Stairway to Heaven on 08:38 - Jun 10 with 3842 viewsSwansNZ

I see Ed Sheeran is being sued for one of his songs copying another.

Poll: Should the official match day thread include pictures?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024