Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Will S.Wales ever turn away from labour 22:45 - Mar 1 with 5353 viewsrock1n

Genuine question, not trying to provoke.

We've seen Scotland turn to the SNP, the North of England turn to UKIP and in some cases the tories.

The rest of England bar Liverpool, Manchester, the N.East and London is blue.

Will this domination continue, or are we about to see something similar? If S.Wales voted brexit, I still find it odd that people continue to vote labour - is it just tribalism now and nothing else.

Will this change? And if so when

The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter

Will S.Wales ever turn away from labour on 22:56 - Mar 1 with 2281 viewsperchrockjack

More chance of Darren and I walking down the aisle with lifey and Winston as page boys .

Quite a ridiculous suggestion.

Wales will always be labour

And suffer as a result

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

Will S.Wales ever turn away from labour on 23:04 - Mar 1 with 2265 viewsBanosswan

Will S.Wales ever turn away from labour on 22:56 - Mar 1 by perchrockjack

More chance of Darren and I walking down the aisle with lifey and Winston as page boys .

And suffer as a result

Yup

Ever since my son was... never conceived, because I've never had consensual sex without money involved... I've always kind of looked at you as... a thing, that I could live next to... in accordance with state laws.
Poll: How do you like your steak?

Will S.Wales ever turn away from labour on 23:08 - Mar 1 with 2259 viewsbuilthjack

Until there's a decent alternative then yes.

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

Will S.Wales ever turn away from labour on 23:19 - Mar 1 with 2245 viewsrock1n

Will S.Wales ever turn away from labour on 23:08 - Mar 1 by builthjack

Until there's a decent alternative then yes.

That shows the lack of risk down here, people are small 'c' conservative in their outlook afraid of change.

The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter

Will S.Wales ever turn away from labour on 23:23 - Mar 1 with 2243 viewsbuilthjack

Will S.Wales ever turn away from labour on 23:19 - Mar 1 by rock1n

That shows the lack of risk down here, people are small 'c' conservative in their outlook afraid of change.

The Torys in their times in charge have fu6ked South Wales up good and proper. You still get thick c@nts voting for them though. Bizarre.
[Post edited 1 Mar 2017 23:54]

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

Will S.Wales ever turn away from labour on 23:40 - Mar 1 with 2226 viewsepaul

Will S.Wales ever turn away from labour on 23:23 - Mar 1 by builthjack

The Torys in their times in charge have fu6ked South Wales up good and proper. You still get thick c@nts voting for them though. Bizarre.

I'd chew my hands off before putting an x in the blue box

The hair and the beard have gone I am now conforming to society, tis a sad day The b*stards are coming back though

Will S.Wales ever turn away from labour on 23:44 - Mar 1 with 2225 viewsKilkennyjack

Yes.

Labour are red Tories these days.
Offers nothing other than a once proud tradition.

In reality, Plaid are the only option.
This is Leanne's fire in the belly rebel version, and not the 1959s rather academic version.

Power to the pobl.

Beware of the Risen People

Will S.Wales ever turn away from labour on 05:53 - Mar 2 with 2160 viewsLoyal

The UKIP alternative in England is palatable.
But not in Wales.
Which oddly is Labours saving grace.
And plaid don't offer anywhere near an opponent.

Nolan sympathiser, clout expert, personal friend of Leigh Dineen, advocate and enforcer of porridge swallows. The official inventor of the tit w@nk.
Poll: Who should be Swansea number 1

Login to get fewer ads

Will S.Wales ever turn away from labour on 06:42 - Mar 2 with 2146 viewsoh_tommy_tommy

Lib dems had a chance once , I even voted for them, the commie that I am (I still do in local elections)

Clegg f@cked them right up .

Poll: DO you support the uk getting involved in Syria

Will S.Wales ever turn away from labour on 07:02 - Mar 2 with 2136 viewsDr_Winston

Is there a conflict between being Labour (the South Wales kind as opposed to the Islington variety) and supporting Brexit then? For years exit from the EU was standard Labour party policy.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Will S.Wales ever turn away from labour on 07:21 - Mar 2 with 2129 viewsexiledclaseboy

Will S.Wales ever turn away from labour on 07:02 - Mar 2 by Dr_Winston

Is there a conflict between being Labour (the South Wales kind as opposed to the Islington variety) and supporting Brexit then? For years exit from the EU was standard Labour party policy.

In the early 80s Labour's anti-EEC stance partly led to the formation of the SDP.

Poll: Tory leader

Will S.Wales ever turn away from labour on 09:29 - Mar 2 with 2048 viewsjohnlangy

I haven't gone back to recheck the numbers but I believe that Labour's share of the vote dropped by 7% at the last election.

They still had a large enough majority in most areas to still win the seats. But, if they lose another 7% next time that may make the difference. If they lost another 3/4 seats they'd be hugely weakened.

They may then even have to consider governing in the interests of the whole country not just one part. Wouldn't that be traumatic for them.
Will S.Wales ever turn away from labour on 09:45 - Mar 2 with 2042 viewsperchrockjack

Conservatives haven't done favours for Wales and the north ,true.

My hatred of Labour started with arch liar and conman Harold Wilson.

Derek Hatton and the militant tendency, all supposedly , working for the working class killed this country dead ,stone dead . The Sheffield conference was the reason GB turned its back on Labour and the filth that were in its ranks. Those scum bastRds did very well out of it all whilst "working people" we're getting laid off in their thousands . Decent Labour men were pilloried as traitors .

Corbyn supported the tendency.

Then Mrs T stepped in and stayed put.

Why was that ,do you think

Labour Party simply takes Wales and Welsh votes for granted.

The great northern cities too are fixated with Labour and class war

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

Will S.Wales ever turn away from labour on 09:52 - Mar 2 with 2035 viewsPrivate_Partz

Will S.Wales ever turn away from labour on 09:29 - Mar 2 by johnlangy

I haven't gone back to recheck the numbers but I believe that Labour's share of the vote dropped by 7% at the last election.

They still had a large enough majority in most areas to still win the seats. But, if they lose another 7% next time that may make the difference. If they lost another 3/4 seats they'd be hugely weakened.

They may then even have to consider governing in the interests of the whole country not just one part. Wouldn't that be traumatic for them.

They are on the decline no doubt John. I cling to the same hope as you that it may eventually lead to WAG that represents the whole of Wales.
The trouble is I don't see an alternative at the moment. That is up to us. The party members and electorate to get reprentatives that can see beyond Cardiff Bay when looking at, media, investment and infrastructure in Wales.
I was hopeful Leanne was going to make a fist of it this year but the Fire in her Belly seems to have long gone at the moment.

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

Will S.Wales ever turn away from labour on 10:10 - Mar 2 with 2019 viewsCopperJack

I've been speaking to (emailing) a Labour representative recently. He confirmed to me that the WAG spent more money on the Wales Millenium Centre than on the entire SA1 development. This doesn't even touch in the spend on the Bay and St Davids, all the tax breaks offered to big companies etc to open up in Cardiff. When I brought this up, he proudly mentioned that they built the Morfa Distributor road, and the City Deal (unsigned and no financial contribution from the WAG). But we vote them in because Thatcher closed the mines, and because they used to be a party of the working class. Look at the way they centralise wealth in Cardiff, how is this any different to what the Tories do in England?

But, we are by far the most stupid area in the UK, we get beaten and abused, neglected and ignored, and we go back, smiling, and glibbly put the X in the box to vote in career politicians who gave up caring about their electorate a long time ago. Funnily enough, I was speaking to my local councillor the other day (Labour) who shared their frustrations and admitted what our AMs won't.

Will never vote Labour again. Devolution was the worst thing to ever happen to Swansea. But at least we can stand and blame 'bloody old England' for our problems, or the Tories, (despite 20 years of continuous Labour rule in Wales). And the horrible thing is, they're stoking nationalism like the SNP does in Scotland because it gives them carte blanche.

The more nationalistic and anti-English people get, the more readily they'll believe that our problems lie in Westminster, when our problems lie squarely in Cardiff Bay. Education/Health service/attracting inward investment all lies with the WAG. They kind of remind me of the pigs during that final few pages in Animal Farm. Standing on two legs, wearing clothes, making a mockery of what they're meant to represent and exploiting the people who blindly continue to elect them.

Poll: The 2016 Assembly Elections: Which way will you be voting & why?

Will S.Wales ever turn away from labour on 10:14 - Mar 2 with 2016 viewsPrivate_Partz

Will S.Wales ever turn away from labour on 10:10 - Mar 2 by CopperJack

I've been speaking to (emailing) a Labour representative recently. He confirmed to me that the WAG spent more money on the Wales Millenium Centre than on the entire SA1 development. This doesn't even touch in the spend on the Bay and St Davids, all the tax breaks offered to big companies etc to open up in Cardiff. When I brought this up, he proudly mentioned that they built the Morfa Distributor road, and the City Deal (unsigned and no financial contribution from the WAG). But we vote them in because Thatcher closed the mines, and because they used to be a party of the working class. Look at the way they centralise wealth in Cardiff, how is this any different to what the Tories do in England?

But, we are by far the most stupid area in the UK, we get beaten and abused, neglected and ignored, and we go back, smiling, and glibbly put the X in the box to vote in career politicians who gave up caring about their electorate a long time ago. Funnily enough, I was speaking to my local councillor the other day (Labour) who shared their frustrations and admitted what our AMs won't.

Will never vote Labour again. Devolution was the worst thing to ever happen to Swansea. But at least we can stand and blame 'bloody old England' for our problems, or the Tories, (despite 20 years of continuous Labour rule in Wales). And the horrible thing is, they're stoking nationalism like the SNP does in Scotland because it gives them carte blanche.

The more nationalistic and anti-English people get, the more readily they'll believe that our problems lie in Westminster, when our problems lie squarely in Cardiff Bay. Education/Health service/attracting inward investment all lies with the WAG. They kind of remind me of the pigs during that final few pages in Animal Farm. Standing on two legs, wearing clothes, making a mockery of what they're meant to represent and exploiting the people who blindly continue to elect them.

Have an up arrow. Top post. Not much I can add to that ! :-)

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

Will S.Wales ever turn away from labour on 12:51 - Mar 2 with 1959 viewsnice_to_michu

I'm always a little confused as to exactly what economic policies/projects people expect from the devolved government in Cardiff. The WAG budget isn't set up to financially support massive industries (e.g. nationalize Tata when it first had problems), or give emergency aid to Ford (who actually refused WAG money recently).

The only major difference between Labour and Plaid manifestos at the last assembly elections with regards to infrastructure was the M4 relief road. The Tories were also in favorite of the relief road.

Most of what the WAG does relates to legislation on devolved issues such as education, health, environment, local authority directives (e.g. Welsh Housing Act). I'm fairly pleased with their efforts on those issues.

If we are talking more locally, then the things that people in Swansea seem to get worked up about things like the bendy buses, the Kingsway, the Liberty Stadium-council relationship. All those things were set up during the Lib Dem administration. Since then, the current administration is currently overseeing the largest investment in business/infrastructure in Wales with the Swansea City Region Deal (£1.3bn, far higher per capita spend than the Cardiff City Region deal), and progress continues to be made with the Tidal Lagoon. Before the predictable "what about the cardiff metro deal"? That arrangement involves at least eight local authorities, so it doesn't involve only cardiff.

Labour aren't perfect, but this is all a little overblown in my opinion. And as for how electing Plaid to represent us in Westminster would get any further projects down to Wales is beyond me. They will literally never ever be part of a government in Westminster.
[Post edited 2 Mar 2017 13:14]
Will S.Wales ever turn away from labour on 13:47 - Mar 2 with 1880 viewstrampie

Will S.Wales ever turn away from labour on 23:44 - Mar 1 by Kilkennyjack

Yes.

Labour are red Tories these days.
Offers nothing other than a once proud tradition.

In reality, Plaid are the only option.
This is Leanne's fire in the belly rebel version, and not the 1959s rather academic version.

Power to the pobl.

Yes you are correct Kilkennyjack, Labour are indeed Red Tories and Plaid are the only game in town for social justice policies.

Vote for Leanne's mob and power to the pobol.

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.
Poll: UK European Union membership referendum poll

Will S.Wales ever turn away from labour on 13:53 - Mar 2 with 1899 viewswaynekerr55

Will S.Wales ever turn away from labour on 22:56 - Mar 1 by perchrockjack

And suffer as a result

Would Winston and Lifey be clad in LYCRA?

How many of you know what DP stands for?
Poll: POTY 2019
Blog: Too many things for a title, but stop with the xenophobia accusations!

Will S.Wales ever turn away from labour on 15:28 - Mar 2 with 1850 viewsCopperJack

Will S.Wales ever turn away from labour on 12:51 - Mar 2 by nice_to_michu

I'm always a little confused as to exactly what economic policies/projects people expect from the devolved government in Cardiff. The WAG budget isn't set up to financially support massive industries (e.g. nationalize Tata when it first had problems), or give emergency aid to Ford (who actually refused WAG money recently).

The only major difference between Labour and Plaid manifestos at the last assembly elections with regards to infrastructure was the M4 relief road. The Tories were also in favorite of the relief road.

Most of what the WAG does relates to legislation on devolved issues such as education, health, environment, local authority directives (e.g. Welsh Housing Act). I'm fairly pleased with their efforts on those issues.

If we are talking more locally, then the things that people in Swansea seem to get worked up about things like the bendy buses, the Kingsway, the Liberty Stadium-council relationship. All those things were set up during the Lib Dem administration. Since then, the current administration is currently overseeing the largest investment in business/infrastructure in Wales with the Swansea City Region Deal (£1.3bn, far higher per capita spend than the Cardiff City Region deal), and progress continues to be made with the Tidal Lagoon. Before the predictable "what about the cardiff metro deal"? That arrangement involves at least eight local authorities, so it doesn't involve only cardiff.

Labour aren't perfect, but this is all a little overblown in my opinion. And as for how electing Plaid to represent us in Westminster would get any further projects down to Wales is beyond me. They will literally never ever be part of a government in Westminster.
[Post edited 2 Mar 2017 13:14]

Well, the devolved government in Cardiff has spent billions on creating Cardiff Bay, St Davids, they've spent more money on one building in Cardiff (Millenium Centre) than our equivalent of Cardiff Bay (SA1). They offer tax breaks and financial incentives to well-paying companies with highly-skilled jobs to open up there, increasing the affluence of the city. They seem to find money to build the BBC new roads and offer big financial help to them to relocate (whilst our final BBC office closes), and also offer favourable rates to create a financial district outside the train station. They have committed half a billion to the Cardiff City Deal and they spend £20p/a on maintaining Cardiff Bay.

Meanwhile, we get the Morfa relief road, and they claimed they don't have the money to fund a second marina in SA1 to encourage private investment there. Similarly, when was the last time you heard of them offering tax breaks, or financial incentives to PWC/Deloittes etc to open in SA1? Or town centre?

Yes, the Lib Dem council were shite, granted, but people here are worked up for more than a failed bendy bus. It's twenty continuous years of no investment while we've had to watch another city up the road flourish under the billions which our taxes have paid for - the same thing Welsh people become irate about when it happens to London/the South East.

Oh, and the education you're so thrilled with has continued to fall since devolution to the point where we're near the bottom of the European education tables - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-38208738.

Unfortunately, you represent the majority opinion in south Wales, and thus we shall live in a state of perpetual decline forever.

Poll: The 2016 Assembly Elections: Which way will you be voting & why?

Will S.Wales ever turn away from labour on 16:58 - Mar 2 with 1809 viewsDr_Winston

PWC have an office in SA1.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Will S.Wales ever turn away from labour on 17:12 - Mar 2 with 1793 viewsLoyal

Will S.Wales ever turn away from labour on 13:47 - Mar 2 by trampie

Yes you are correct Kilkennyjack, Labour are indeed Red Tories and Plaid are the only game in town for social justice policies.

I used to knock one off furiously when one of the ladies on that programme was on.

Nolan sympathiser, clout expert, personal friend of Leigh Dineen, advocate and enforcer of porridge swallows. The official inventor of the tit w@nk.
Poll: Who should be Swansea number 1

Will S.Wales ever turn away from labour on 17:48 - Mar 2 with 1772 viewsWingstandwood

Will S.Wales ever turn away from labour on 13:47 - Mar 2 by trampie

Rock and a hard place in Wales? The Tories have no time for 'Taffy-Land' cos it is seen as working class Labour heartland territory and Labour seem to want to keep the poverty thing going cos poverty generally tends to sustain a Labour vote.

The proof of the pudding of it all i.e. Wales has a 'last century' transport system that has been underfunded since the 1960's by both Tories and Labour. A decent infrastructure would greatly benefit Wales economy and wages etc.

Ain't it ironic i.e. the more affluent South East parts of Wales with less Labour loyalty, more discerning, electorally volatile and less tribal voting habits benefits the most. You could shut a Morriston Hospital dept and they'd still vote in droves for Labour in Swansea East, do that to a hospital in Cardiff/other satellite area's and the tactical voting strategy would come out. SW Wales victim of its own loyalty

Argus!

Will S.Wales ever turn away from labour on 17:51 - Mar 2 with 1764 viewsperplex

Thing is you look at Tory run towns and they seem to be well maintained and looked after, then take look at long time Labour run towns like Llanelli, Merthyr etc, does that tell as anything.
Will S.Wales ever turn away from labour on 17:55 - Mar 2 with 1759 viewsperplex

Will S.Wales ever turn away from labour on 23:23 - Mar 1 by builthjack

Take a look at Tory run towns, we may be better off, because being under Labour is doing us no good what so ever.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024