Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
St Davids Development 08:40 - Jun 2 with 2180 viewsLandore_Jack

From Castle Quays to St Davids. What does everybody think of the proposed plans?

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/local-news/major-redevelopment-city-centre-tip

This post has been edited by an administrator

#backtojack

St Davids Development on 08:44 - Jun 2 with 2164 viewsfelixstowe_jack

ill look good if ever built. Just like all those new buildings for the students all approved no work started YET.

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

St Davids Development on 09:28 - Jun 2 with 2085 viewsPacemaker

The civic centre should have been moved to the general area of St Davids as a start for an anchor building so that people can access services and the library etc. This would have given shops a ready market of customers with a couple of thousand staff and visitors to the building being in the immediate area.

Selling the current civic centre site to a hotel chain, this would have brought small cafes and bars etc to the seafront area which are sadly lacking, visitors coming for a walk now all migrate to Mumbles for coffee or a drink as there is virtually nothing between the Marina and Blackpill.

if these walking areas, cafes, bars etc attract visitors they will probably want to buy something else in the area and instead of going for chains of charity shops the city should invest in attracting small independents becoming more of a niche attraction much like Narbeth or Cowbridge become more of a set of villages rather than trying to compete with Cardiff or Bristol.

If Swansea hadn't given the go ahead to so many out of town developments the city centre would still be vibrant but Fforestfach and Llansamlet attract far more shoppers than the city centre these days.

Parc Tawe could have been used for a Mcarthur Glen type place with a walk through to the city centre shops, if only the traffic infrastructure was in place, unfortunately no matter which direction you come from traffic jams are a part of Swansea life which does nothing to attract shoppers or investors.

Life is an adventure or nothing at all.

St Davids Development on 09:29 - Jun 2 with 2081 viewsdobjack2

I'll believe it when construction starts, or perhaps more importantly has finished and shops etc are taken up, until then just more artists drawings.
St Davids Development on 10:09 - Jun 2 with 2017 viewsMillie

I've seen enough artists impressions, time to deliver
St Davids Development on 10:26 - Jun 2 with 1979 viewsLandore_Jack

St Davids Development on 09:28 - Jun 2 by Pacemaker

The civic centre should have been moved to the general area of St Davids as a start for an anchor building so that people can access services and the library etc. This would have given shops a ready market of customers with a couple of thousand staff and visitors to the building being in the immediate area.

Selling the current civic centre site to a hotel chain, this would have brought small cafes and bars etc to the seafront area which are sadly lacking, visitors coming for a walk now all migrate to Mumbles for coffee or a drink as there is virtually nothing between the Marina and Blackpill.

if these walking areas, cafes, bars etc attract visitors they will probably want to buy something else in the area and instead of going for chains of charity shops the city should invest in attracting small independents becoming more of a niche attraction much like Narbeth or Cowbridge become more of a set of villages rather than trying to compete with Cardiff or Bristol.

If Swansea hadn't given the go ahead to so many out of town developments the city centre would still be vibrant but Fforestfach and Llansamlet attract far more shoppers than the city centre these days.

Parc Tawe could have been used for a Mcarthur Glen type place with a walk through to the city centre shops, if only the traffic infrastructure was in place, unfortunately no matter which direction you come from traffic jams are a part of Swansea life which does nothing to attract shoppers or investors.

Swansea council were short sighted when they built the Quadrant. It should have been two floors minimum and built to include the old St Davids Shopping Centre.

I will never understand why the council allowed Tesco to build on the old gas works site. Again, they missed a golden opportunity to expand the Quadrant.

The Castle Quays project was scaled back so much that we have been left with the fag end development in Princess Way.

#backtojack

St Davids Development on 10:34 - Jun 2 with 1953 viewsMillie

St Davids Development on 10:26 - Jun 2 by Landore_Jack

Swansea council were short sighted when they built the Quadrant. It should have been two floors minimum and built to include the old St Davids Shopping Centre.

I will never understand why the council allowed Tesco to build on the old gas works site. Again, they missed a golden opportunity to expand the Quadrant.

The Castle Quays project was scaled back so much that we have been left with the fag end development in Princess Way.

Whilst Tesco should never have been built there, I feel the Leisure centre is an eyesore too, its a polit bureau, its back to front IMO
St Davids Development on 10:37 - Jun 2 with 1948 viewsAustinIsOurHero

Prior tot he city deal being confimed, Councillor Rob Phillips claimed 'everything was in place' for the regeneration scheme & all they were waiting for was confirmation of the funding.
Now the scheme is going for outline planning next Tuesday?
What have they been doing? We were lead to believe this had all been finalised prior to the investment.
Mark my words, this will never come to fruition.

Poll: How many points will be get from the next two games?

St Davids Development on 10:52 - Jun 2 with 1900 viewsLandore_Jack

With regards to the Parc Tawe development Hammerson have made the same mistake again. Poor links with the town centre.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/how-new-parc-tawe-look-12661970

#backtojack

Login to get fewer ads

St Davids Development on 12:19 - Jun 2 with 1796 viewsvetchonian

St Davids Development on 10:52 - Jun 2 by Landore_Jack

With regards to the Parc Tawe development Hammerson have made the same mistake again. Poor links with the town centre.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/how-new-parc-tawe-look-12661970

What town centre?
That is the problem there isnt one anymore. Prior to the Quadrant HighStreet , The Kingsway and Oxford Street formed the town/City Centre with the side streets off these supporting...when the Quadrant came everything went out of balance....further compounded with Parc Tawe development and then the out of town developments
I could go on for hours about the lack of planning skills that have been employed by succesive Swansea councils over the years
Hindsight is wonderful but if the Quadrant had been built where Parc Tawe stands things could have been so different and the Bus station located where Homebase stands linked to the Rail station and with easy access to the main distributor roads!

Poll: Will CCFC win a game this season?

St Davids Development on 12:31 - Jun 2 with 1767 viewsYossarian

The only thing that's certain is that Swansea City Council will fail to deliver anything that their constituents will approve of. It's a systemic thing- it's been happening since the 1970s. When you look at the City Centre and the complete Horlicks they've made of traffic management and bendy buses etc then no amount of artist impressions will inspire any confidence from me. When Sir Terry Matthews walks away from the regeneration plan because he could see money being wasted on unsustainable vanity projects rather than tangible business infrastructure and opportunities, I would rather trust his judgement than a bunch of untalented amateurs with a track record of failure. Rant over.

"Yossarian- the very sight of the name made him shudder.There were so many esses in it. It just had to be subversive" (Catch 22)

St Davids Development on 12:49 - Jun 2 with 1724 viewsdobjack2

Unfortunately I have to agree with everyone else.

A disjointed shopping area with plans to make it even more disjointed in the pipeline and a traffic system that puts people off coming into town in the first place.
St Davids Development on 19:54 - Jun 2 with 1529 viewsmajorraglan

Not a typical Planet Swans thread - there's far too much common sense in it. If people on here can see it, why can the planners and the councillors.
The City Ctr is spread out and doesn't link or flow, the roads are a nightmare and the out of town developments are sucking the life out of the centre. Unless you live in the Centre or Close to the centre, why would you go into the City Ctr when you can go to Fforestfach, Llansamlet, Trostre, McArthur Glen or Carmarthen. Getting in to the City Ctr is a mare and I for hardly bother now.
St Davids Development on 20:34 - Jun 2 with 1463 viewsSPboy

More units for tatoo parlours, hairdressers, coffee shops & charity shops - I can barely contain my excitement. Until a major department store signs up it isn't going to happen
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024