Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Don’t mention the war 21:39 - Jun 11 with 1688 viewsDarran

https://amp.theguardian.com/media/2020/jun/11/fawlty-towers-dont-mention-the-war

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Don’t mention the war on 22:29 - Jun 11 with 1632 viewsTreforys_Jack

Unbelievable, that was a classic, John Cleese goose stepping creases me every time.
Don’t mention the war on 06:52 - Jun 12 with 1533 viewssquarebear

Oh FFS. This strikes me as lunacy. Basil Fawlty got himself into ridiculous situations. The joke In every episode was ON HIM.

Presumably this purge will hit 'Allo 'Allo next.
Don’t mention the war on 07:29 - Jun 12 with 1511 viewsLohengrin

Don’t mention the war on 22:29 - Jun 11 by Treforys_Jack

Unbelievable, that was a classic, John Cleese goose stepping creases me every time.

I think it’s got more to do with the Major’s cricket story.

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

Don’t mention the war on 07:39 - Jun 12 with 1496 viewsexiledclaseboy

Don’t mention the war on 07:29 - Jun 12 by Lohengrin

I think it’s got more to do with the Major’s cricket story.

Indeed. And possibly Basil's reaction to the African doctor who treats him for his knock on the head. Which frankly is one of the most sublime and subtle pieces of comic timing ever. These things will be back anyway, the streaming companies will just put a disclaimer before them. There are early episodes of Only Fools and Horses that wouldn't be written today in the same way as they were in the early '80s.

Poll: Tory leader

Don’t mention the war on 07:46 - Jun 12 with 1486 viewsLohengrin

Don’t mention the war on 07:39 - Jun 12 by exiledclaseboy

Indeed. And possibly Basil's reaction to the African doctor who treats him for his knock on the head. Which frankly is one of the most sublime and subtle pieces of comic timing ever. These things will be back anyway, the streaming companies will just put a disclaimer before them. There are early episodes of Only Fools and Horses that wouldn't be written today in the same way as they were in the early '80s.

That whole episode is perfect. God knows how many times I must have seen it by now, I know exactly what’s coming up and most of the script by heart and I still laugh out loud every time.

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

Don’t mention the war on 07:50 - Jun 12 with 1477 viewsdickythorpe

It's very sad that enjoyment is being censored.

No humour anymore.
Don’t mention the war on 07:17 - Jun 13 with 1321 viewssquarebear

After a review "The Germans" is to be reinstated on UKTV following its removal a couple of days ago.

https://www.theguardian.com/culture/2020/jun/12/john-cleese-attacks-stupid-remov

As ECB predicted
"Guidance and warnings highlighting “potentially offensive content and language” will feature alongside the episode".

This is the correct decision in my view. It had felt a knee jerk reaction to remove the episode, and it was an unnecessary distraction from the matter at hand.
[Post edited 13 Jun 2020 7:21]
Don’t mention the war on 07:23 - Jun 13 with 1306 viewsdickythorpe

Absolutely farcical.
Login to get fewer ads

Don’t mention the war on 08:45 - Jun 13 with 1272 viewsWarwickHunt

Don’t mention the war on 07:17 - Jun 13 by squarebear

After a review "The Germans" is to be reinstated on UKTV following its removal a couple of days ago.

https://www.theguardian.com/culture/2020/jun/12/john-cleese-attacks-stupid-remov

As ECB predicted
"Guidance and warnings highlighting “potentially offensive content and language” will feature alongside the episode".

This is the correct decision in my view. It had felt a knee jerk reaction to remove the episode, and it was an unnecessary distraction from the matter at hand.
[Post edited 13 Jun 2020 7:21]

I’ve posed this on another thread but it should be here as well -

Cleese told The Age newspaper: “If you put nonsense words into the mouth of someone you want to make fun of, you’re not broadcasting their views, you’re making fun of them. The major was an old fossil left over from decades before. We were not supporting his views, we were making fun of them. If they can’t see that — if people are too stupid to see that — what can one say?”
Don’t mention the war on 09:06 - Jun 13 with 1242 viewsJinxy

Restored by UKTV.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-53032895
Don’t mention the war on 10:12 - Jun 13 with 1210 viewsGwyn737

Great clip from the man himself:

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024