Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Picton: Should his name be removed from street names (& the arcade) in Swansea? 17:58 - Jul 24 with 2091 viewsbritferry

Picton: Should his name be removed from street names (& the arcade) in Swansea?

Your Vote:

You need to be logged in to vote on our site polls

Poll: Which kid would you give money to?

Picton: Should his name be removed from street names (& the arcade) in Swansea? on 18:16 - Jul 24 with 1194 viewsHighjack

They should have Picton someone else.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Picton: Should his name be removed from street names (& the arcade) in Swansea? on 18:38 - Jul 24 with 1176 viewsAndy1300

You can’t rewrite history, you can educate people about history though

Number 1 team in Wales

Picton: Should his name be removed from street names (& the arcade) in Swansea? on 20:11 - Jul 24 with 1139 viewsexiledclaseboy

Picton: Should his name be removed from street names (& the arcade) in Swansea? on 18:38 - Jul 24 by Andy1300

History is rewritten all the time and has been for centuries.

Poll: Tory leader

Picton: Should his name be removed from street names (& the arcade) in Swansea? on 20:26 - Jul 24 with 1125 viewsAndy1300

Picton: Should his name be removed from street names (& the arcade) in Swansea? on 20:11 - Jul 24 by exiledclaseboy

History is rewritten all the time and has been for centuries.

Correct, I should have said ‘erase’

My error!

Number 1 team in Wales

Picton: Should his name be removed from street names (& the arcade) in Swansea? on 20:29 - Jul 24 with 1119 viewsKilkennyjack

He should be taken to Bristol and thrown in the dock.

No place for his type in modern Cymru.

No excuses, no ifs, and no buts ....

Beware of the Risen People

Picton: Should his name be removed from street names (& the arcade) in Swansea? on 20:31 - Jul 24 with 1111 viewsNortbankboy

Picton: Should his name be removed from street names (& the arcade) in Swansea? on 18:38 - Jul 24 by Andy1300

Boris and Hancock are trying to!
Picton: Should his name be removed from street names (& the arcade) in Swansea? on 21:10 - Jul 24 with 1078 viewsHighjack

Picton: Should his name be removed from street names (& the arcade) in Swansea? on 20:29 - Jul 24 by Kilkennyjack

He should be taken to Bristol and thrown in the dock.

No place for his type in modern Cymru.

No excuses, no ifs, and no buts ....

Throw him in the dock? I think it’s a bit late for him to stand trial now. And Bristol crown court is all tied up until Halloween trying to deal with all the protesters.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Picton: Should his name be removed from street names (& the arcade) in Swansea? on 22:08 - Jul 24 with 1045 viewsVincent_Vega

I think Swansea has more pressing issues but hey ho....

Boycott Shampoo......Demand Real Poo!!!

Login to get fewer ads

Picton: Should his name be removed from street names (& the arcade) in Swansea? on 22:18 - Jul 24 with 1038 viewsTreforys_Jack

6 weeks ago I'd have said no definitely not, however I now think there is merit in this. I don't believe in mob rule and tearing down statues. I'd like to see local referendums regarding any local issues of this nature.

Any statues or monuments removed need to go into a museum as part of the history of this City and country.
Picton: Should his name be removed from street names (& the arcade) in Swansea? on 22:31 - Jul 24 with 1025 viewsfelixstowe_jack

Is Sadiq Khan going to rename the two Napoleon roads in London.
After all Napoleon reintroduced slavery into the French empire circa 1800 after it was abolished during the French revolution.

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

Picton: Should his name be removed from street names (& the arcade) in Swansea? on 00:49 - Aug 1 with 827 viewsLohengrin

Picton’s real-life achievements leap straight from a boys’own comic.

Point me to one of his detractors, any one, take your pick, who is even half the man he was...
[Post edited 1 Aug 2020 9:15]

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

Picton: Should his name be removed from street names (& the arcade) in Swansea? on 01:08 - Aug 1 with 818 viewsDJack

Picton: Should his name be removed from street names (& the arcade) in Swansea? on 00:49 - Aug 1 by Lohengrin

Picton’s real-life achievements leap straight from a boys’own comic.

Point me to one of his detractors, any one, take your pick, who is even half the man he was...
[Post edited 1 Aug 2020 9:15]

I suspect most of his statues and place naming were for his military career and for the time it is understandable. However as quite a few have said many of the statues of the past should be consigned to a museum and a full accout of that person and their deeds, with appropriate context, should be given.

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan

Picton: Should his name be removed from street names (& the arcade) in Swansea? on 01:15 - Aug 1 with 816 viewsLohengrin

Picton: Should his name be removed from street names (& the arcade) in Swansea? on 01:08 - Aug 1 by DJack

I suspect most of his statues and place naming were for his military career and for the time it is understandable. However as quite a few have said many of the statues of the past should be consigned to a museum and a full accout of that person and their deeds, with appropriate context, should be given.

Picton was maniac brave, lunatic so. As inspirational a soldier as it gets. A thousand foot monument to him is not high enough.

Picton: Should his name be removed from street names (& the arcade) in Swansea? on 09:34 - Aug 1 with 752 viewsNortbankboy

Picton: Should his name be removed from street names (& the arcade) in Swansea? on 01:15 - Aug 1 by Lohengrin

Picton was maniac brave, lunatic so. As inspirational a soldier as it gets. A thousand foot monument to him is not high enough.

What did he do that they want to pull his statue down?
Picton: Should his name be removed from street names (& the arcade) in Swansea? on 09:40 - Aug 1 with 748 viewsLohengrin

Picton: Should his name be removed from street names (& the arcade) in Swansea? on 09:34 - Aug 1 by Nortbankboy

On the 18th of June 1815 he saved Britain. His monument is a thorn in the side of those who hate her.

Picton: Should his name be removed from street names (& the arcade) in Swansea? on 10:04 - Aug 1 with 733 views1462jack

Picton: Should his name be removed from street names (& the arcade) in Swansea? on 09:40 - Aug 1 by Lohengrin

On the 18th of June 1815 he saved Britain. His monument is a thorn in the side of those who hate her.

A serving member of Parliament who died during a bayonet charge , how times have changed
Picton: Should his name be removed from street names (& the arcade) in Swansea? on 10:20 - Aug 1 with 721 viewsLohengrin

Picton: Should his name be removed from street names (& the arcade) in Swansea? on 10:04 - Aug 1 by 1462jack

A serving member of Parliament who died during a bayonet charge , how times have changed

Read up on his feats in the Peninsular War, mate. The storming of the breach at Ciudad Rodrigo or the capture of the bridge at Vitoria. Always against wild odds, always leading from the front sword in hand not directing from miles behind the lines.

Napoleon thought he was the Devil, his men idolised him.

Picton: Should his name be removed from street names (& the arcade) in Swansea? on 10:23 - Aug 1 with 717 views1462jack

Picton: Should his name be removed from street names (& the arcade) in Swansea? on 10:20 - Aug 1 by Lohengrin

Read up on his feats in the Peninsular War, mate. The storming of the breach at Ciudad Rodrigo or the capture of the bridge at Vitoria. Always against wild odds, always leading from the front sword in hand not directing from miles behind the lines.

Napoleon thought he was the Devil, his men idolised him.

The man was a colossal Loh , also any man who picks up a rifle in defence of our Great country deserves to be lauded not lambasted
Picton: Should his name be removed from street names (& the arcade) in Swansea? on 10:32 - Aug 1 with 711 viewsLohengrin

Picton: Should his name be removed from street names (& the arcade) in Swansea? on 10:23 - Aug 1 by 1462jack

The man was a colossal Loh , also any man who picks up a rifle in defence of our Great country deserves to be lauded not lambasted

We should campaign to have a stand named after him at the Liberty.

Picton: Should his name be removed from street names (& the arcade) in Swansea? on 11:25 - Aug 1 with 694 viewspencoedjack

Picton: Should his name be removed from street names (& the arcade) in Swansea? on 10:23 - Aug 1 by 1462jack

This ^
Picton: Should his name be removed from street names (& the arcade) in Swansea? on 11:29 - Aug 1 with 694 viewslondonlisa2001

Picton: Should his name be removed from street names (& the arcade) in Swansea? on 09:34 - Aug 1 by Nortbankboy

Tortured a child. Also accused of extreme cruelty, severity to slaves, capital punishment without following any sort of process, Also slave owning, a number of charges of excessive brutality, executing slaves etc etc.

Even by the standards of the day his behaviour was so horrific that he was arrested and tried (found guilty) and there were calls for his removal as governor of Trinidad.

Cardiff council have voted to get rid of his statue now I think.
Picton: Should his name be removed from street names (& the arcade) in Swansea? on 11:38 - Aug 1 with 693 viewsLohengrin

Picton: Should his name be removed from street names (& the arcade) in Swansea? on 11:29 - Aug 1 by londonlisa2001

Tortured a child. Also accused of extreme cruelty, severity to slaves, capital punishment without following any sort of process, Also slave owning, a number of charges of excessive brutality, executing slaves etc etc.

Even by the standards of the day his behaviour was so horrific that he was arrested and tried (found guilty) and there were calls for his removal as governor of Trinidad.

Cardiff council have voted to get rid of his statue now I think.

You do realise that’s all nonsense, Whig machinations. There were fortunes to be made in the Caribbean and powerful vested interests wanted Picton out and their own man installed. Picton was getting in their way.

He never owned or traded slaves for goodness sake! He was a commissioned officer on posting. The slaves were there working at the Governor’s residence before he arrived and they were there after he left.

Picton: Should his name be removed from street names (& the arcade) in Swansea? on 12:04 - Aug 1 with 678 viewslondonlisa2001

Picton: Should his name be removed from street names (& the arcade) in Swansea? on 11:38 - Aug 1 by Lohengrin

You do realise that’s all nonsense, Whig machinations. There were fortunes to be made in the Caribbean and powerful vested interests wanted Picton out and their own man installed. Picton was getting in their way.

He never owned or traded slaves for goodness sake! He was a commissioned officer on posting. The slaves were there working at the Governor’s residence before he arrived and they were there after he left.

The historians at the National Museum of Wales and the Royal Collection , amongst others, disagree with your analysis.
Picton: Should his name be removed from street names (& the arcade) in Swansea? on 12:06 - Aug 1 with 677 viewsCatullus

Picton: Should his name be removed from street names (& the arcade) in Swansea? on 11:38 - Aug 1 by Lohengrin

Loh, a few things to mull over.

100 great accomplishments will considered as good as nothing if 1 great crime is committed, or perceived to be committed.

When it comes to slavery or racism these days an accusation is considered pretty much to be as good as a guilty verdict.

Context should be considered but too many people want a trial by public opinion with only todays societal rules and norms used as context.

AS others have said, these statues, these street names, they should remain but with plaques or information boards telling everybody the truth of it, the whole truth. A wat hero can still be a criminal. th greater the hero, the greater the fall from grace.

I don't know th full truth about Picton aside from knowing he was a war hero.The accusations made against him may be true or they may be political shenanigans but people will need to see the evidence.

The issue to me is, if he is found to be innocent of the slavery and racism, of the abuse, it will probably be decried as a whitewash anyway. In this day and age it happens a lot.

I agree with another poster who said we have more important things to worry about.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Picton: Should his name be removed from street names (& the arcade) in Swansea? on 12:13 - Aug 1 with 674 viewslondonlisa2001

Picton: Should his name be removed from street names (& the arcade) in Swansea? on 12:06 - Aug 1 by Catullus

Loh, a few things to mull over.

100 great accomplishments will considered as good as nothing if 1 great crime is committed, or perceived to be committed.

When it comes to slavery or racism these days an accusation is considered pretty much to be as good as a guilty verdict.

Context should be considered but too many people want a trial by public opinion with only todays societal rules and norms used as context.

AS others have said, these statues, these street names, they should remain but with plaques or information boards telling everybody the truth of it, the whole truth. A wat hero can still be a criminal. th greater the hero, the greater the fall from grace.

I don't know th full truth about Picton aside from knowing he was a war hero.The accusations made against him may be true or they may be political shenanigans but people will need to see the evidence.

The issue to me is, if he is found to be innocent of the slavery and racism, of the abuse, it will probably be decried as a whitewash anyway. In this day and age it happens a lot.

I agree with another poster who said we have more important things to worry about.

“ When it comes to slavery or racism these days an accusation is considered pretty much to be as good as a guilty verdict. ”

Picton actually received a guilty verdict at the time for the torture of a child. He admitted it, the case was only around whether it was allowed or not.

And he was arrested and charged at the time on many other offences. Most of which concerned his brutality, lack of process and generally being a monster. And that was by the standards of the time.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024