Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Swansea City v Rotherham United : Matchday Thread Team News Covid strikes 15:41 - Nov 18 with 6216 viewsNotLoyal

Saturday 21st November 2020
EFL Championship
Liberty Stadium, Swansea.
Kick off 3pm

Watch the game LIVE

Referee TBC

Latest
Swansea City are keeping quiet on the extent of the injury to Andre Ayew, and any time he needs to recover. He returned to the treatment table after one game away with Ghana having scored two goals to clinch victory over Sudan. It is likely he will miss the game against Rotherham as will Ben Cabango and Morgan Gibbs-White.

Swansea City v Rotherham United
Games won: 28
Games lost: 25
Games drawn: 25

Rotherham point of view
Caz Neale writes

Rotherham United’s next game in the Championship sees them travelling to the South West coast of Wales to take on Swansea City. April 2019 was the last time the pair met at the Liberty Stadium which ended up being a seven goal thriller. A long throw from Will Vaulks was cleared by the hosts but only back to the Millers Welsh midfielder who sent the ball back into the box for Michael Ihiekwe to touch it past Swans’ ‘keeper Kristoffer Nordfeldt and into the net. Oli McBurnie got an equaliser on thirty-six minutes but another long throw from Vaulks two minutes later found Matt Crooks who regained the Millers lead. Swansea came out the better in the second half and five minutes in got a second equaliser after Daniel James got past the Millers defence to send the ball to Barrie McKay who headed home. On sixty-nine minutes the hosts went in front for the first time in the game thanks to a George Byers shot that appeared to go in off the arm of Kyle Naughton and ten minutes later McBurnie curled his second and the Swans fourth into the net. But the Millers put up a fight and Vaulks shot went in from the underside of the crossbar with Nordfeldt having to make a good save minutes later from Michael Smith. The Millers lost four-three and left feeling angry that the hosts’ third goal had been allowed to stand.

The time before that the Millers were at the Liberty Stadium in the league was in League One two days before Christmas in 2006 when the game ended one-all. Eugen Bopp put the Millers in front eleven minutes into the second half but on the stroke of full time Adebayo Akinfenwa got an equaliser. The last time Rotherham beat Swansea at their home was in April 2006 when an own goal on sixteen minutes from Garry Monk and a goal fifteen minutes later from Gregor Robertson gave the Millers all points from this Easter Monday game.

Adebayo scored v Rotherham in 2006

Here are the teams from that 1-1 encounter

Swansea: Gueret, Painter (Akinfenwa 79), Tate, Lawrence, Austin, Britton, Pratley, Craney, Butler (Williams 69), Trundle, Fallon.
Subs Not Used: Oakes, Amankwaah, Iriekpen.

Booked: Painter, Fallon, Pratley, Williams, Trundle.
Goals: Akinfenwa 90.

Rotherham: Cutler, Wiseman, Worrell, Sharps, Robertson, Partridge (Brogan 83), Cochrane, Bopp, Woods, Facey, Hoskins.
Subs Not Used: Montgomery, Hibbert, Newsham, King.

Booked: Sharps, Wiseman.
Goals: Bopp 56.

Att: 12,327

Ref: D Whitestone (Northamptonshire).

The first time the teams met on Swansea soil was in the Old Division Two in December 1951 at Vetch Field. The hosts won five-nil on the day.

Let’s look back to 1988
Play off first leg,

15 May 1988
Swansea City 1—0 Rotherham United
McCarthy 85'
Vetch Field, Swansea
Attendance: 9,148

Swansea held Rotherham to a draw in the away leg 1-1 and progressed to the final where the swans were triumphant 5-4 over two legs v Torquay.

What do we know about Rotherhams
Rotherham are called the millers, which means they are windy and talk a lot of hot air. They are famous for having Howard Webb the referee as a fan, and a bloke from Muse. One of the dead Chuckle brothers supports Rotherham as does the one who is still alive. They are thought of as the most famous Rotherham supporters. Even though they are dead, or nearly dead, whichever one you are talking about.

This is a picture of the Chuckle brothers yesterday

One eyed goalkeeper Gordon Banks was born in Rotherham, Gordon is thought of as one of the best goalkeepers of all time, and even when he had one eye like Herod he should have carried on because people said he was the best even with one arm tied behind his back, so one eye is nothing and it’s a lot smaller. Unfortunately he is dead now as well, but still probably better than Erwin Mulder. Another phenomenon of Rotherham is that David Seaman is also from this place. David was also a goalkeeper with girls hair and a deep voice like Pam the Butcher in Eastenders. David is best remembered for having long hair, and then when he got it cut nobody recognised him, even his wife, sometimes he would startle himself when he looked in the mirror. He thought another man was living in his house for two years until he realised another man was actually living in his house and interfering with Mrs Seaman on Saturday afternoons when David was being a goalie.

David Seaman with short hair

This is David when he had long hair

And finally, in 2008 the good people of Rotherham were the most overweight people in the country, or maybe even the world if Yorkshire is all you know. Fortunately The award-winning integrated obesity service in Rotherham was launched and was a great success. After only two years the service had been so successful the obesity rate increased by 14% and the amount of fast food outlets in the small town increased by over 50%. Of course this is now a world wide problem, unless of course you live in a country where there is little or no food like Barnsley or Forfar. By 2013 Rotherham had maintained its title with an ever increasing population of extra fat, and the most people with toes falling off outside of Towcester. In recent years this has got worse and more people now are not as fat as they were, so someone needs to have a word somewhere. Rotherham is the capital of Yorkshire and has been since time began, or when god invented grass even. When time was invented Rotherham was the testing area, everybody knew it was there, so millions of people from Farnborough and Jersey went there to see what time was all about. When they all left nobody said a word for years as they were so impressed. Unfortunately because nobody said anything it all came to nothing. The phrases ‘ I know’ ‘ Yes I know’ ‘I’ll tell thee’ and ‘'No' were all used first in Rotherham. The second phrase ‘Yes I know’ replaced ‘Aye I know’ on the 3rd of Match 1932. Strangely the word ‘whippet’ was banned in 1974 and the term ‘Leisure Centre’ replaced it.

This is a Rotherham whippet, you can see from its arched back and slightly peculiar facial expression the reason why it is now referred to as a Leisure Centre. Note also the third rear leg growing from its anus, this is merely to protect it from unwanted invasions from local folk

Well, that’s it, another foray as it were in to our opponents this weekend, some stuff you didn’t know included we are sure. Later on we will include up to date football news on the game but don’t tell anyone from Rotherham. They will probably already know.

If you are ever a visiting supporter of a team coming to Swansea and you are being truthfully documented on here - and are offended,tough, it’s your history, deal with it.

Steve Cooper press conference

This post has been edited by an administrator

OK I've changed it.
Poll: The FINALS : Poster of the year 2022

Swansea City v Rotherham United : Matchday Thread on 21:40 - Nov 18 with 3093 viewsAndyCole

Horrible club, place and partisan fickle home supporters. Losing there in 2018 was a bitter pill. Even our fans were infighting post-match, horrible.

Ryan Manning getting their two winners. Let's hope he can give us some inside intel.

At least we won't have to face Shaun Mac, unlucky for him.

Pro free speech and alternative opinions - Anti gang-bullying and poor modding thereof - Will always make a stand against those who consistently choose to turn a blind eye

Swansea City v Rotherham United : Matchday Thread on 21:48 - Nov 18 with 3099 viewsFireboy2

Swansea City v Rotherham United : Matchday Thread on 21:40 - Nov 18 by AndyCole

Horrible club, place and partisan fickle home supporters. Losing there in 2018 was a bitter pill. Even our fans were infighting post-match, horrible.

Ryan Manning getting their two winners. Let's hope he can give us some inside intel.

At least we won't have to face Shaun Mac, unlucky for him.

Typical Yorkshire club, I was there in 2018, we should have buried them, they had two pens and one was never ever a pen, the ball was hit towards fer's face and he used his hands to protect himself.

And it almost kicked of outside the ground with their bellend fans gloating, as you say a bitter pill.
Swansea City v Rotherham United : Matchday Thread on 03:33 - Nov 19 with 3033 viewsNotLoyal

Swansea City v Rotherham United : Matchday Thread on 21:48 - Nov 18 by Fireboy2

Typical Yorkshire club, I was there in 2018, we should have buried them, they had two pens and one was never ever a pen, the ball was hit towards fer's face and he used his hands to protect himself.

And it almost kicked of outside the ground with their bellend fans gloating, as you say a bitter pill.

Hopefully the historical documented truth on the OP cheers you up 😉

OK I've changed it.

Swansea City v Rotherham United : Matchday Thread on 11:23 - Nov 19 with 2981 viewsonehunglow

The pre match stuff i a good read and very witty.Well done.

I have friends in Rotherham and we ve been such since 1983.Great people. A town ravaged by Steelworks closures,a town utterly "working class" and it how just how disunited the so called working classes are.

Yeah,they can be feisty lot but being an away fan walking pat the Gari want exactly pleasant was it. We need to look at ourselves before slagging off whole towns. and their people.

Rotherham have massive clubs on their doorsteps so they are loyal.Too right they are.

They will have far less Liverpool /Man Utd/Spurs "supporters" in their town than i the case in Swansea.

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Swansea City v Rotherham United : Matchday Thread on 13:40 - Nov 19 with 2955 views34dfgdf54

Cabango and Naughton both available.

Ayew and Guehi doubts no worries at all about being long term.
Swansea City v Rotherham United : Matchday Thread on 09:39 - Nov 20 with 2639 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Swansea City v Rotherham United : Matchday Thread on 11:23 - Nov 19 by onehunglow

The pre match stuff i a good read and very witty.Well done.

I have friends in Rotherham and we ve been such since 1983.Great people. A town ravaged by Steelworks closures,a town utterly "working class" and it how just how disunited the so called working classes are.

Yeah,they can be feisty lot but being an away fan walking pat the Gari want exactly pleasant was it. We need to look at ourselves before slagging off whole towns. and their people.

Rotherham have massive clubs on their doorsteps so they are loyal.Too right they are.

They will have far less Liverpool /Man Utd/Spurs "supporters" in their town than i the case in Swansea.

You can’t quantify any of that. Surprisingly.
It’s no wonder you moved away from Swansea - you’ve never had a good word for it.

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

Swansea City v Rotherham United : Matchday Thread & Cooper pre match on 10:47 - Nov 20 with 2602 viewsonehunglow

I can.

I go to Rotherham Sheffield three times a year and stay there.

I use to regularly revisit Swansea for 40 yrs plus and my eyes dont deceive me,neither do my knees. BTW,do you love all that has happened in Swansea.If you say no,then you are dissing.It s that simple.

Brynmill Park was the place my old bampa used to take me as a young kid and it was and is a special place so do not ever make out it is anything different. Same applies to the rest of Swansea.

I love my old town-you can quote me on that but I hate what it's become.

Finally,I don't mind Jacks having a go but not people from the likes of Neath.

Floreat Swansea

Swansea City v Rotherham United : Matchday Thread & Cooper pre match on 10:49 - Nov 20 with 2603 views34dfgdf54

Swansea City v Rotherham United : Matchday Thread & Cooper pre match on 10:47 - Nov 20 by onehunglow

I can.

I go to Rotherham Sheffield three times a year and stay there.

I use to regularly revisit Swansea for 40 yrs plus and my eyes dont deceive me,neither do my knees. BTW,do you love all that has happened in Swansea.If you say no,then you are dissing.It s that simple.

Brynmill Park was the place my old bampa used to take me as a young kid and it was and is a special place so do not ever make out it is anything different. Same applies to the rest of Swansea.

I love my old town-you can quote me on that but I hate what it's become.

Finally,I don't mind Jacks having a go but not people from the likes of Neath.

Floreat Swansea

What has it become though? Always wondered when reading your posts.

I'm not even born and bred in Swansea and I seem to love the place tenfold than you do and correct me if i'm wrong, it's a place you should call home?

Edit - This post isn't a dig, I'm genuinely interested to know what has happened to the place in your view.
[Post edited 20 Nov 2020 10:50]
Login to get fewer ads

Swansea City v Rotherham United : Matchday Thread & Cooper pre match on 11:16 - Nov 20 with 2579 viewsAndyCole

The anti-Swans faction is determined to derail a Matchday thread.

The comments about Rotherham were football-centric; their fans were deathly quiet, almost disinterested when we were battering them. Their fickle, fair weather fans only came to life when they scored, as did their anti-welsh hatred. Horrible to behold.

We will be so up for this one. 3 -1

Pro free speech and alternative opinions - Anti gang-bullying and poor modding thereof - Will always make a stand against those who consistently choose to turn a blind eye

Swansea City v Rotherham United : Matchday Thread & Cooper pre match on 11:59 - Nov 20 with 2573 viewsonehunglow

Swansea City v Rotherham United : Matchday Thread & Cooper pre match on 10:49 - Nov 20 by 34dfgdf54

What has it become though? Always wondered when reading your posts.

I'm not even born and bred in Swansea and I seem to love the place tenfold than you do and correct me if i'm wrong, it's a place you should call home?

Edit - This post isn't a dig, I'm genuinely interested to know what has happened to the place in your view.
[Post edited 20 Nov 2020 10:50]

Morn.
I 'll explain.
I used to pop down to me nan's in Fleet Rd with my mum prior to a Swans game. They used to go into Swansea for shopping ,which had everything really . It was a smart town albeit a very industrialised one. We used to swim at the Slip when we had that lovely bridge and plenty of sand then if it rained ,crossed over to the Baths.

We had a great rugby team playing at St Helens and meaningful cricket in summer where the touring teams played.It was a thrill walking down from Uplands and then seeing the scoreboard and the big bank. When older,the Cricketers was a great watering hole.Etc etc

When a teenager ,used to cruise along the Kingsway when it was a fine thoroughfare and the heart of everything.

I could go on and on B but I d bore you

It is still my spiritual home and it's why I get upset .Have a look at the various Swansea site
[Post edited 20 Nov 2020 12:19]

Swansea City v Rotherham United : Matchday Thread & Cooper pre match on 13:43 - Nov 20 with 2534 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Swansea City v Rotherham United : Matchday Thread & Cooper pre match on 11:59 - Nov 20 by onehunglow

Morn.
I 'll explain.
I used to pop down to me nan's in Fleet Rd with my mum prior to a Swans game. They used to go into Swansea for shopping ,which had everything really . It was a smart town albeit a very industrialised one. We used to swim at the Slip when we had that lovely bridge and plenty of sand then if it rained ,crossed over to the Baths.

We had a great rugby team playing at St Helens and meaningful cricket in summer where the touring teams played.It was a thrill walking down from Uplands and then seeing the scoreboard and the big bank. When older,the Cricketers was a great watering hole.Etc etc

When a teenager ,used to cruise along the Kingsway when it was a fine thoroughfare and the heart of everything.

I could go on and on B but I d bore you

It is still my spiritual home and it's why I get upset .Have a look at the various Swansea site
[Post edited 20 Nov 2020 12:19]

External factors are to blame for most of that though. The whites were arguably the biggest victims of the switch to regional rugby - clubs like Llanelli and Cardiff hardly suffered at all.

Glamorgan have treated St Helens shabbily- the balconies should stick two fingers up to the Cardiff mafia that have taken them over. More interested in holding England test matches against the likes of Sri Lanka than the good of the county . All fur coat no knickers again

Swansea City v Rotherham United : Matchday Thread & Cooper pre match on 18:49 - Nov 20 with 2445 viewsNotLoyal

This won't be as easy as some think.

OK I've changed it.

Swansea City v Rotherham United : Matchday Thread & Cooper pre match on 19:58 - Nov 20 with 2416 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Swansea City v Rotherham United : Matchday Thread & Cooper pre match on 18:49 - Nov 20 by NotLoyal

This won't be as easy as some think.

Never is and our old selves always hit a brick wall when playing a side looking for a point. We’d overcommit and lose all 3 like against Stoke last year.

We do seem to be made of much sterner stuff this year. With Guehi and Ayew in the side we should win, maybe not convincingly but I’ll take a one nil right now.

Swansea City v Rotherham United : Matchday Thread & Cooper pre match on 20:10 - Nov 20 with 2409 viewsonehunglow

Swansea City v Rotherham United : Matchday Thread & Cooper pre match on 13:43 - Nov 20 by Brynmill_Jack

External factors are to blame for most of that though. The whites were arguably the biggest victims of the switch to regional rugby - clubs like Llanelli and Cardiff hardly suffered at all.

Glamorgan have treated St Helens shabbily- the balconies should stick two fingers up to the Cardiff mafia that have taken them over. More interested in holding England test matches against the likes of Sri Lanka than the good of the county . All fur coat no knickers again

Thanks for that reply mate.

I accept that but it is still a sad tale.

Ive been watching a film of the infamous Springbok game-the Battle of Swansea and I really was there .

St Helens as evocative to me as the Vetch

Swansea City v Rotherham United : Matchday Thread & Cooper pre match on 08:29 - Nov 21 with 2284 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Swansea City v Rotherham United : Matchday Thread & Cooper pre match on 20:10 - Nov 20 by onehunglow

Thanks for that reply mate.

I accept that but it is still a sad tale.

Ive been watching a film of the infamous Springbok game-the Battle of Swansea and I really was there .

St Helens as evocative to me as the Vetch

Let’s get this straight - St. Helens should be an iconic ground in Welsh sport for the Whites being the only club side to beat all the Southern Hemisphere giants , for it being the place where the Wales national rugby team played their first international in 1882 and the site of many famous subsequent victories. Then there’s Glamorgan’s tenure there from the late 1800’s onwards. It’s just been left to rot.

The decline of St Helens matches Swansea’s decline in many ways . Depressing .

Swansea City v Rotherham United : Matchday Thread & Cooper pre match on 08:47 - Nov 21 with 2270 viewsWhiterockin

Why is there so much stuff on this matchday thread that has nothing to do with the game? Please refrain in future.

We have a stronger squad than many give us credit for, even with a couple missing I go for a 2-0 win.
Swansea City v Rotherham United : Matchday Thread & Cooper pre match on 09:45 - Nov 21 with 2244 viewsonehunglow

Swansea City v Rotherham United : Matchday Thread & Cooper pre match on 08:29 - Nov 21 by Brynmill_Jack

Let’s get this straight - St. Helens should be an iconic ground in Welsh sport for the Whites being the only club side to beat all the Southern Hemisphere giants , for it being the place where the Wales national rugby team played their first international in 1882 and the site of many famous subsequent victories. Then there’s Glamorgan’s tenure there from the late 1800’s onwards. It’s just been left to rot.

The decline of St Helens matches Swansea’s decline in many ways . Depressing .

100% agree

Swansea City v Rotherham United : Matchday Thread & Cooper pre match on 11:22 - Nov 21 with 2198 viewsNortbankboy

Swansea City v Rotherham United : Matchday Thread & Cooper pre match on 08:47 - Nov 21 by Whiterockin

Why is there so much stuff on this matchday thread that has nothing to do with the game? Please refrain in future.

We have a stronger squad than many give us credit for, even with a couple missing I go for a 2-0 win.

On to the game.
I'll take any win after an international break
Swansea City v Rotherham United : Matchday Thread & Cooper pre match on 13:15 - Nov 21 with 2125 viewsKeithHaynes

Swansea City v Rotherham United : Matchday Thread & Cooper pre match on 11:22 - Nov 21 by Nortbankboy

On to the game.
I'll take any win after an international break

I’m not too concerned about today or sheff weds next week. It’s the next two away that will test us at Forest and Colins lot.

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

Swansea City v Rotherham United : Matchday Thread & Cooper pre match on 14:06 - Nov 21 with 2069 views34dfgdf54

Good luck to young Liam today.

Go well my son
Swansea City v Rotherham United : Matchday Thread & Cooper pre match on 14:13 - Nov 21 with 2028 viewsonehunglow

Why no VG

Swansea City v Rotherham United : Matchday Thread & Cooper pre match on 14:14 - Nov 21 with 2026 viewsKeithHaynes

Swansea City: Freddie Woodman; Ben Cabango, Ryan Bennett, Kyle Naughton; Connor Roberts, Jay Fulton, Matt Grimes (captain), Jake Bidwell; Yan Dhanda; Liam Cullen, Jamal Lowe.

Substitutes: Steven Benda, Joel Latibeaudiere, Ryan Manning, Korey Smith, Kasey Palmer, Wayne Routledge, Tivonge Rushesha, Oli Cooper, Daniel Williams.

Rotherham United: Jamal Blackman, Ben Wiles, George Hirst, Jamie Lindsay, Wes Harding, Michael Ihiekwe (captain), Angus MacDonald, Matt Olosunde, Matt Crooks, Dan Barlaser, Florian Jozefzoon.

Substitutes: Viktor Johansson, Adam Thompson, Kyle Vassell, Mickel Miller, Trevor Clarke, Michael Smith, Billy Jones.

Referee: Matthew Donohue

Swansea City v Rotherham United : Matchday Thread & Cooper pre match on 14:15 - Nov 21 with 2019 viewsKeithHaynes

Swansea City v Rotherham United : Matchday Thread & Cooper pre match on 14:13 - Nov 21 by onehunglow

Why no VG

Gyokeres is self-isolating in Sweden having returned a positive test whilst on international duty, while Garrick is also self-isolating and following healthcare guidelines.

Swansea City v Rotherham United : Matchday Thread & Cooper pre match on 14:17 - Nov 21 with 2009 viewsonehunglow

Thanks Keith.

Swansea City v Rotherham United : Matchday Thread Team News Covid strikes on 14:33 - Nov 21 with 1921 viewsKeithHaynes

Enjoy the game folks, Uppa Swans. Time for a cold one on the ‘veranda’ 🍺

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024