Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The message is still the same from Russell Martin 08:45 - Dec 5 with 1387 viewsSwansIndependent

The message is still the same from Russell Martin 5th Dec 2021 08:43
Swansea City are continuing to confuse their critics. They are also failing to convince Russell Martin devotees there is a clear pathway forwards in a season where people continue to forget that it’s one of alleged ‘transition’ Steve Cooper spent two seasons promising everything but delivering nothing, whilst Russell Martin continues to promise more but in some fans minds isn’t achieving. 0

Another disappointing end result, click above.
Twitter below.

This post has been edited by an administrator
The message is still the same from Russell Martin on 08:56 - Dec 5 with 955 viewsDr_Winston

It's kind of odd that there are those trying to depict yesterdays game as boring. It was many things, but dull wasn't one of them. If anything it was too open. A controlled performance like the one we saw against West Brom would have seen us depart Teeside with all three points.

We are a wildly schizophrenic team at the moment, which is pretty characteristic of one undergoing so many changes. There are justifiable questions to ask of RM and the intransigence he's demonstrating in certain areas which will embolden the trolls, but overall we are precisely where most people expected us to be at this stage of the season. Mid table and looking up rather than down.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

The message is still the same from Russell Martin on 09:31 - Dec 5 with 902 viewsThornburyswan

Decent piece of work there Corny.
The message is still the same from Russell Martin on 09:37 - Dec 5 with 893 viewsBrynmill_Jack

The message is still the same from Russell Martin on 08:56 - Dec 5 by Dr_Winston

It's kind of odd that there are those trying to depict yesterdays game as boring. It was many things, but dull wasn't one of them. If anything it was too open. A controlled performance like the one we saw against West Brom would have seen us depart Teeside with all three points.

We are a wildly schizophrenic team at the moment, which is pretty characteristic of one undergoing so many changes. There are justifiable questions to ask of RM and the intransigence he's demonstrating in certain areas which will embolden the trolls, but overall we are precisely where most people expected us to be at this stage of the season. Mid table and looking up rather than down.

Our two defeats have coincided with the break up of a good defensive partnership down our left. I have no idea why the Manning/Bidwell axis has been broken up - apart from Liverpool flexing their muscles over the lack of game time for Williams.

After losing 6 points isn’t it time the club stood up to Liverpool and told them he isn’t giving enough to the team ? The way he jogged back after Jones bypassed him yesterday was shocking - he has no commitment and needs to be benched or worse until we can hand him back later in the month.

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

The message is still the same from Russell Martin on 09:37 - Dec 5 with 894 viewsBadlands

The message is still the same from Russell Martin on 08:56 - Dec 5 by Dr_Winston

Definitely not boring.
boring was two years under Cooper (as was most of the Monk era).
Yesterday player rating was farcical with the defence hammered yet they scored just one goal (offside?) where two players (Williams and Manning) were caught out. We kept them to shots on target!
We are slow in midfield but many who moan about Martin's tactics also raised the roof in praise of Grimes signing a new contract ... the player who most often dallies.
My criticism of Martin is his team choices in defence.
Full back as central CB, CBs as full backs constantly rotating players and yesterday starting the game with William at left back.

Poll: Should the summer transfer window close before the season starts?

The message is still the same from Russell Martin on 09:48 - Dec 5 with 862 viewsDr_Winston

The message is still the same from Russell Martin on 09:37 - Dec 5 by Brynmill_Jack

Our two defeats have coincided with the break up of a good defensive partnership down our left. I have no idea why the Manning/Bidwell axis has been broken up - apart from Liverpool flexing their muscles over the lack of game time for Williams.

After losing 6 points isn’t it time the club stood up to Liverpool and told them he isn’t giving enough to the team ? The way he jogged back after Jones bypassed him yesterday was shocking - he has no commitment and needs to be benched or worse until we can hand him back later in the month.

Yeah.

I'm wary of writing Williams off in the long term, but it hasn't worked for him here. Some of our most dodgy defensive displays have come with him in the team.

Maybe with a bit more time pre-season to bed him in it would have worked better, but dropping him in now does nobody any good.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

The message is still the same from Russell Martin on 10:11 - Dec 5 with 820 viewsonehunglow

Boring is relative in football as it is in life.
In football,seeing any team making endless passes from keeper to full back is boring especially when one has an interest in that team.Ours/mine ,right now,are the most boring in the league Ive seen. Other clubs fans have pointed this out from Middlesborough to Blackpool to Coventry to Barnsley.They seem not to be morons for suggesting that .

What is worse is we have a manager clearly happy with this and willing to commit our club to this mindset.The outcome of this might not be what his many fans will like unless they take their love with him when he leaves us for another club.

This is a bizarre season with a captain not worthy of the name ,a stupifyingly arrogant manager yet with a terrific striker who ,given a decent chance ,will bury the ball into the net. I truly feel for Piroe and make no mistake,he will be off as soon as another cliub comes along with an offer. He will go on to great things but to do that he cannot stay with us .

Martin has no history,no record for us to simply offer our knee to him.

I am no Cooper lover mainly as he screwed up two promotion chances ,but to say his football was worse is madness in the extreme.

Forest game will be very interesting indeed and I hope the crowd don't boo Cooper as we know what happens then.

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

The message is still the same from Russell Martin on 10:53 - Dec 5 with 789 viewsDr_Parnassus

People are making the mistake of assuming everyone enjoys the same things about football. What is boring to one person is not boring to another. Thats the reality.

I loved last season, equalling Brendans record was fantastic, yet others thought it was boring.

As I have pointed out on another thread, we are 16% down on goal attempts this season on Coopers seasons. So if it’s attacking football you like to see, and thought it was lacking under Cooper - then unless seeing what you want to see - then you cannot be satisfied with our attacking intent under Martin.

Finally onto the article. “Cooper promised everything and delivered nothing”, not sure how anyone can claim that with a straight face. Has to be some sort of underlying bitterness there towards Cooper who is continuing to prove himself against the wave of people willing him to fail. Still only lost once since taking over, remarkable - that against Fulham, the best team in the league.

What did he promise exactly? He delivered back to back play off finishes, improving our league position year on year and delivering a play off final netting the club c. £20m.

He absolutely delivered after taking over a team that finished in mid table and losing a host of players with very little to spend to bring his own players in. Both this season and Potters season, each one of those seasons more was spent on transfers than both Coopers combined.

As for the football being “better”, again I would ask in what way? We have more possession and pass the ball more around the back, but attack far less, score less and pick up less points, is that really “better”?

I would also make the point that 21 games represents a good chunk of time to settle on a style, it’s approaching half a season. A 25% of the average total time of our managers in the last quarter of a century, I don’t think you can describe half a season as wanting “an immediate fix”, especially after spending the second highest amount in our football league history.

He has now had more than enough time to get the squad assembled, playing the way he wants and getting decent results.

Other managers don’t seem to have much issue going to a new club and imposing their style successfully. Look no further than the man bashed in the piece, Steve Cooper.

Played 13, won 6, drawn 6, lost 1.

1.85 points per game, tracking at 85 points per season. A change of style, no transfer window and no pre season. These excuses just don’t cut it, time to perform is now.
[Post edited 5 Dec 2021 11:09]

Swansea Independent Poster of the Year 2021 and 2022.
Poll: Would you swap Ayew for Piroe?

The message is still the same from Russell Martin on 11:06 - Dec 5 with 782 viewsBrynmill_Jack

The message is still the same from Russell Martin on 09:48 - Dec 5 by Dr_Winston

Yeah.

I'm wary of writing Williams off in the long term, but it hasn't worked for him here. Some of our most dodgy defensive displays have come with him in the team.

Maybe with a bit more time pre-season to bed him in it would have worked better, but dropping him in now does nobody any good.

It might stop us enduring morale sapping defeats like yesterday and last Saturday. A few tweaks and we’re a very decent defensive and attacking unit. Williams lack of confidence looks to be infecting the whole team ATM

Login to get fewer ads

The message is still the same from Russell Martin on 11:16 - Dec 5 with 767 viewsfelixstowe_jack

The message is still the same from Russell Martin on 09:37 - Dec 5 by Badlands

Definitely not boring.
boring was two years under Cooper (as was most of the Monk era).
Yesterday player rating was farcical with the defence hammered yet they scored just one goal (offside?) where two players (Williams and Manning) were caught out. We kept them to shots on target!
We are slow in midfield but many who moan about Martin's tactics also raised the roof in praise of Grimes signing a new contract ... the player who most often dallies.
My criticism of Martin is his team choices in defence.
Full back as central CB, CBs as full backs constantly rotating players and yesterday starting the game with William at left back.

Strange how you never commented on the player ratings under Cooper where certain players always got low marks no matter how well they played.

It seems we are going round in circles under Martin never making any forward progress. At least under both Potter and Cooper we did progress as the season went on.

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

The message is still the same from Russell Martin on 11:18 - Dec 5 with 762 viewsKeithHaynes

The message is still the same from Russell Martin on 11:16 - Dec 5 by felixstowe_jack

Strange how you never commented on the player ratings under Cooper where certain players always got low marks no matter how well they played.

It seems we are going round in circles under Martin never making any forward progress. At least under both Potter and Cooper we did progress as the season went on.

Do you think the swans are progressing now ?
As the season goes on.

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

The message is still the same from Russell Martin on 11:19 - Dec 5 with 760 viewsfelixstowe_jack

If you consider reaching the play offs two seasons in a row as delivering nothing then our current position under Martin is delivering less than nothing.

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

The message is still the same from Russell Martin on 11:20 - Dec 5 with 741 viewsDr_Parnassus

The message is still the same from Russell Martin on 11:19 - Dec 5 by felixstowe_jack

If you consider reaching the play offs two seasons in a row as delivering nothing then our current position under Martin is delivering less than nothing.

Remarkable achievement, anyone suggesting otherwise really wants to portray an alternate reality.

The message is still the same from Russell Martin on 11:21 - Dec 5 with 754 viewsKeithHaynes

The message is still the same from Russell Martin on 11:19 - Dec 5 by felixstowe_jack

Those two play off finishes came at the end of the season. This one isn’t even half way.

The message is still the same from Russell Martin on 11:29 - Dec 5 with 732 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Watching us from Felixstowe?

The message is still the same from Russell Martin on 14:36 - Dec 5 with 665 viewsonehunglow

The message is still the same from Russell Martin on 11:29 - Dec 5 by Brynmill_Jack

Watching us from Felixstowe?

Another bugger that moved away from Swansea then shoving hi nose into the team's affairs.
Like Winston ,you clearly believe moving away means you no longer support your home town team. The Owner of this site moved away.
You're not alone.

Gang culture again

The message is still the same from Russell Martin on 14:38 - Dec 5 with 660 viewsonehunglow

The message is still the same from Russell Martin on 11:18 - Dec 5 by KeithHaynes

Do you think the swans are progressing now ?
As the season goes on.

Do you?
Honestly.
Can you be objective Keith.?

IMO,we have not really progressed as we are replicating mistakes .
Individuals have like Piroe have .

The message is still the same from Russell Martin on 15:06 - Dec 5 with 648 viewsKeithHaynes

The message is still the same from Russell Martin on 14:38 - Dec 5 by onehunglow

Do you?
Honestly.
Can you be objective Keith.?

IMO,we have not really progressed as we are replicating mistakes .
Individuals have like Piroe have .

I think we are mate, we are creating multi chances, it’s only a matter of time in that respect.
The way we turn over ball in midfield is far more promising in the last month. It’s a journey for me, I’m enjoying it, regardless of the name of the manager. Pato is reborn, Piroe is a wonderful find, I love Downes aggression which seems to go unnoticed. I think now Martin will realise Cabango is a first team pick every week after yesterday. Thcam is a beast of a player. I’m seriously happy with the way it’s going.

Edit : on the objectivity ? Yes, always.

This post has been edited by an administrator

The message is still the same from Russell Martin on 15:16 - Dec 5 with 637 viewsbuilthjack

Exactly. Some on here think we should be storming the league.
We are work in progress.

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

The message is still the same from Russell Martin on 15:27 - Dec 5 with 622 viewsDr_Parnassus

The message is still the same from Russell Martin on 15:16 - Dec 5 by builthjack

We are work in progress.

Every team is a work in progress.

I doubt anyone thinks we should be storming the league. It’s more a case of acknowledging that the squad we have is far better than 14th place in December and the way we are playing is incredibly inefficient with the same mistakes being made week after week.

The message is still the same from Russell Martin on 15:42 - Dec 5 with 620 viewsDr_Winston

The message is still the same from Russell Martin on 14:36 - Dec 5 by onehunglow

Another bugger that moved away from Swansea then shoving hi nose into the team's affairs.
Like Winston ,you clearly believe moving away means you no longer support your home town team. The Owner of this site moved away.
You're not alone.

Gang culture again

I don't tar all people who move away with the same brush. Just you.

Unlike you they seem capable of still supporting both the club and city from afar, as opposed to looking for every opportunity to slag it off.

You've never been able to accept that though. Accepting it would be the first step in acknowledging your own behaviour, and you seem utterly incapable of that kind of self awareness.

The message is still the same from Russell Martin on 20:14 - Dec 5 with 553 viewsvetchonian

The message is still the same from Russell Martin on 15:16 - Dec 5 by builthjack

We are work in progress.

We were a work in progress in Roberto's first season but we saw progress, Sousa season was a transition season but we did well, Brendan's first and second seasons were transiton and Laudrups first season was one of transition yet we achieved results in all of these

When do we stop being a work in progress?
Football teams are always a work in progress the issue is how that work in progress is managed....

Martin has an ego/arrogance which sometimes can be a good thing but in his case I think it is a weakness which affects his judgement.
IF you look back at his time at MKDons he achieved little but topped the possession stats while all the time saying be patient we are building....18 months he was still building.

I wonder about his man management skills...much has been made of Whittaker so called attitude issue this season...it did seem to be around last season...maybe its related to Martins insistence on selecting and playing Cullen

The thing with Martin is he sets up the team to play the same way whoever the opposition and looks to keep the ball over using the ball.

There is a famous Einstein quote "the definition of Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"
This is Martin's mantra....we do the same things all the time....why is Smith playing before Natcham or Fulton...

There are more questions than answers....good managers whatever walk of life learn Martin doesn't seem to be learning and is stubbornly keeping to his agenda

Poll: Will CCFC win a game this season?

The message is still the same from Russell Martin on 20:31 - Dec 5 with 541 viewsmahoss

I was thinking just the same……….
Time will tell.
We,ve got to give this guy a full season surely, let’s see where we are end of season.
Not sure how many different players he wants in, we,ve got to be sensible !
I,d rather see a bit more nous on working with what we have,just a gut feeling.
The message is still the same from Russell Martin on 20:33 - Dec 5 with 538 viewsKeithHaynes

The message is still the same from Russell Martin on 14:36 - Dec 5 by onehunglow

You're not alone.

Gang culture again

I left in 1986 mate, and it wasn’t from Swansea.

The message is still the same from Russell Martin on 20:38 - Dec 5 with 526 viewsKeithHaynes

The message is still the same from Russell Martin on 20:14 - Dec 5 by vetchonian

We were a work in progress in Roberto's first season but we saw progress, Sousa season was a transition season but we did well, Brendan's first and second seasons were transiton and Laudrups first season was one of transition yet we achieved results in all of these

When do we stop being a work in progress?
Football teams are always a work in progress the issue is how that work in progress is managed....

Martin has an ego/arrogance which sometimes can be a good thing but in his case I think it is a weakness which affects his judgement.
IF you look back at his time at MKDons he achieved little but topped the possession stats while all the time saying be patient we are building....18 months he was still building.

I wonder about his man management skills...much has been made of Whittaker so called attitude issue this season...it did seem to be around last season...maybe its related to Martins insistence on selecting and playing Cullen

The thing with Martin is he sets up the team to play the same way whoever the opposition and looks to keep the ball over using the ball.

There is a famous Einstein quote "the definition of Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"
This is Martin's mantra....we do the same things all the time....why is Smith playing before Natcham or Fulton...

There are more questions than answers....good managers whatever walk of life learn Martin doesn't seem to be learning and is stubbornly keeping to his agenda

I think we should be looking at what he is achieving now. Not what he did two years ago.
Your matching our 21 games this season with whole seasons from previous managers.
No team ever stops being a work in progress.

The message is still the same from Russell Martin on 21:08 - Dec 5 with 511 viewsvetchonian

The message is still the same from Russell Martin on 20:38 - Dec 5 by KeithHaynes

I think we should be looking at what he is achieving now. Not what he did two years ago.
Your matching our 21 games this season with whole seasons from previous managers.
No team ever stops being a work in progress.

My point about Martins previous history is he was doing and saying the same things he does not seem to showing any sign of learning from what didnt work and what did work...he is using the same script.
We have won 5 in 11 games and 1 game in the last 5 and that against a side that has only won twice this season and who would be bottom of the league if it were not for points deductions.
We are not progressing we are regressing if you look at the last 6 games results.

Yes we had chances yesterday that were not converted we had similar last season we had missed opportunities when the likes of Lowe failed to connect with a ball that was in the box...we also had our fair share of referee decisions going against us....it happens to every side in every league yet it seems this is being used as more of a defence of our manager.

I really want him to do well rather I want him to sort things out so the team does well...the current squad is better than we have had for a while a backline of Laird, Naughtin Bennet, Manning Bidwell is not bad, or Laird, Naughton,Cabango,Manning Bidwell would be strong in this league yet Martin seems reluctant to choose this Naugthton could still be the fulcrum to pass the ball out...or even get Downes to drop back to collect as Britton did . Why pick a 30 year old over 27 year old Fulton....Smith certainly is not tearing up great performances?

Poll: Will CCFC win a game this season?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024