Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Cameron Conegrove/Jason Bowen 09:40 - Aug 29 with 1061 viewsmagicdaps10

The situation with young Cam reminded me about the situation with young Bowen and Frankie Burrows.

Bowen the sub got subbed, Conegrove lasted half hour.

I remember fans in the stadium praising Burrows and stating that it will do Bowen the world of good, fast forward around 30 years and fans saying how bad it was by the manager and how it will damage young Cam.

For me it just goes to show how soft society has become, I know there is atleast one fan on here who thought it was great 30 years ago what Burrows did but thinks its terrible what happened on the weekend 🤷‍♂️

I have even read after the weekend win that a fan suggested we needed a Frankie Burrows type manager.

Poll: Are the owners doing enough for Swansea City

Cameron Conegrove/Jason Bowen on 09:49 - Aug 29 with 1028 viewsJoesus_Of_Narbereth

No player has a god given right to be on that pitch at all times. Apart from Matt Grimes obviously. If it’s not working the manager absolutely has to make that decision and change it. Unless it’s Matt Grimes.

Poll: We all dream of a managerial team of Alan Tates?

Cameron Conegrove/Jason Bowen on 09:52 - Aug 29 with 1020 viewsmagicdaps10

And let's not forget......Bowen had a slap for it.

I always remember Burrows saying that statistics are for people who can't play football......the only statistic I care about is the score once the full time whistle goes.

Cameron Conegrove/Jason Bowen on 10:00 - Aug 29 with 993 viewsonehunglow

Cameron Conegrove/Jason Bowen on 09:52 - Aug 29 by magicdaps10

And let's not forget......Bowen had a slap for it.

I always remember Burrows saying that statistics are for people who can't play football......the only statistic I care about is the score once the full time whistle goes.

What a guy and manager
Uncomplicated ,straight honourable ,all the things the current coach isn’t

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Cameron Conegrove/Jason Bowen on 10:44 - Aug 29 with 925 viewsangryjack

Cameron Conegrove/Jason Bowen on 09:49 - Aug 29 by Joesus_Of_Narbereth

No player has a god given right to be on that pitch at all times. Apart from Matt Grimes obviously. If it’s not working the manager absolutely has to make that decision and change it. Unless it’s Matt Grimes.

It's not been working for most Martins reign.hd just took easy option with congreve
Cameron Conegrove/Jason Bowen on 10:51 - Aug 29 with 912 viewsmagicdaps10

Cameron Conegrove/Jason Bowen on 10:44 - Aug 29 by angryjack

It's not been working for most Martins reign.hd just took easy option with congreve

You are missing the point here AJ!

I am just pointing out the contradictions to similiar scenarios and how it's adjusted in people's minds.

Bowen and Cam......its the exact same thing infact Bowens was a lot harsher.
It doesn't given one manager free reign to do it and another not just because how the team has performed previously.

Cameron Conegrove/Jason Bowen on 10:58 - Aug 29 with 899 viewsGixerJack

Cameron Conegrove/Jason Bowen on 10:44 - Aug 29 by angryjack

In your opinion, what would have been the difficult decision?
Cameron Conegrove/Jason Bowen on 11:04 - Aug 29 with 877 viewsmagicdaps10

Cameron Conegrove/Jason Bowen on 10:58 - Aug 29 by GixerJack

In your opinion, what would have been the difficult decision?

I think the point that I was trying to raise that there are plenty of double standards with football fans.

It was the easy option for Martin but Burrows at the time it was classed as correct and will give Bowen the kick up the rear.

Cameron Conegrove/Jason Bowen on 11:29 - Aug 29 with 849 viewsKeithHaynes

Cameron Conegrove/Jason Bowen on 10:00 - Aug 29 by onehunglow

What a guy and manager
Uncomplicated ,straight honourable ,all the things the current coach isn’t

I recall him saying to me in an article way back ‘Pass the ball to someone you came here on the bus with’

Simple.

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

Login to get fewer ads

Cameron Conegrove/Jason Bowen on 11:46 - Aug 29 with 830 viewsGixerJack

Cameron Conegrove/Jason Bowen on 11:04 - Aug 29 by magicdaps10

I think the point that I was trying to raise that there are plenty of double standards with football fans.

It was the easy option for Martin but Burrows at the time it was classed as correct and will give Bowen the kick up the rear.

My point is that taking him off wasn’t an easy option, the easy option would have been to leave him on the pitch.

But the critics would then be screaming at how he didn’t protect the kid
Cameron Conegrove/Jason Bowen on 11:52 - Aug 29 with 816 viewsjasper_T

It seems pretty common for people to moan about "how soft society has become", as if things used to be better. Better attention to mental health, discrimination etc. is a massive net good for the world. Just look at how much suicide rates have come down since the 70s/80s. Football is a much healthier *and* more entertaining sport since player welfare started to be taken seriously both on the pitch and behind the scenes. Tough love and the hairdryer treatment is rightly regarded as still being an option, but rarely the best when dealing with young players.

Personally I think the sub was handled well. Cam was struggling, confidence gone, he shook everyone's hand as he came off, and it does make a difference that it wasn't exactly a like-for-like swap. We changed formation from a back four to wingbacks. The manager in effect accepts some of the blame for his choice of system not working, and the team as a whole for not being able to perform to standard, so it doesn't all fall on Cam's head.

As I said in the matchday thread, a tough day at the office for him. But it shouldn't end up being any more dramatic than that.
Cameron Conegrove/Jason Bowen on 11:57 - Aug 29 with 806 viewsJoesus_Of_Narbereth

He stupidly gave the ball away stupidly in a stupid position allowing the opposition to virtually run unchallenged at the stupid keeper and score a stupidly simple goal. But then all our players do this pretty much every week so it seems he is fitting in really well.

Poll: We all dream of a managerial team of Alan Tates?

Cameron Conegrove/Jason Bowen on 12:13 - Aug 29 with 776 viewsmagicdaps10

Cameron Conegrove/Jason Bowen on 11:52 - Aug 29 by jasper_T

It seems pretty common for people to moan about "how soft society has become", as if things used to be better. Better attention to mental health, discrimination etc. is a massive net good for the world. Just look at how much suicide rates have come down since the 70s/80s. Football is a much healthier *and* more entertaining sport since player welfare started to be taken seriously both on the pitch and behind the scenes. Tough love and the hairdryer treatment is rightly regarded as still being an option, but rarely the best when dealing with young players.

Personally I think the sub was handled well. Cam was struggling, confidence gone, he shook everyone's hand as he came off, and it does make a difference that it wasn't exactly a like-for-like swap. We changed formation from a back four to wingbacks. The manager in effect accepts some of the blame for his choice of system not working, and the team as a whole for not being able to perform to standard, so it doesn't all fall on Cam's head.

As I said in the matchday thread, a tough day at the office for him. But it shouldn't end up being any more dramatic than that.

Good post and one that covers the aspect of more than just football and you are spot on with it of course.

Football has seen the player power rise and what Burrows done back in the day would never be allied now.......and there is another dabate, is it not allowed for the right or wrong?

A lot of things have been eradicated in modern society and rightly so but some things have gone for the worse also.....i won't get into the full scale of it but will keep it in track with the OP.

What's the difference to with Burrows and Martin with what they did?

Cameron Conegrove/Jason Bowen on 12:47 - Aug 29 with 725 viewsReslovenSwan1

I was quite excited to see the Wales u19 team beat Croatia 4-2 on their own patch in the spring with Congreve the star man. Croatia for me is the home of good coaches and young player bing properly coached and developed.

The Welsh team then pushed the mighty England stacked with future stars hard 0-2 in an even game.

They then with Lloyd Congreve and possibly Cotterill featuring they lost inexplicably to pointless Austria 0-6. This smacked of unprofessionalism and weak mentality. These guys need to have someone on the case to weed out any tendencies to relax and settle for mediocrity.

Wise sage since Toshack era

Cameron Conegrove/Jason Bowen on 14:57 - Aug 29 with 619 viewsBadlands

Cameron is not ready to start games, simple.
A few decent cameos towards the end of games is a very different situation to coming on late.

Poll: Should the summer transfer window close before the season starts?

Cameron Conegrove/Jason Bowen on 15:08 - Aug 29 with 605 viewsjojaca

Cameron Conegrove/Jason Bowen on 14:57 - Aug 29 by Badlands

Cameron is not ready to start games, simple.
A few decent cameos towards the end of games is a very different situation to coming on late.

Playing him in his correct position would help is cause, for me he lacks pace out wide. But I would like to see him behind the striker.

Even when you know, you never know?

Cameron Conegrove/Jason Bowen on 17:50 - Aug 29 with 506 views1462jack

Cameron Conegrove/Jason Bowen on 15:08 - Aug 29 by jojaca

Playing him in his correct position would help is cause, for me he lacks pace out wide. But I would like to see him behind the striker.

Totally agree
Cameron Conegrove/Jason Bowen on 21:55 - Aug 29 with 425 viewsReslovenSwan1

Cameron Conegrove/Jason Bowen on 17:50 - Aug 29 by 1462jack

Totally agree

Conegrove Congreave Congrove Congreve.? There are more variations than the one I always had trouble with Carlos Carvalhal. Wrighty called him Carvalhio for some reason. Accuracy was never his thing. Not paid enough to get names correct.

Wise sage since Toshack era

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024