Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Championship, very close this year 21:29 - Nov 4 with 5596 viewsPey

Looking at the championship table as it stands there are 8 clubs within 4 points difference for the top spot.
Is it just me or did we have already a three way race around this time a year ago ?
Looks like a very exciting season this time.

Championship, very close this year on 12:51 - Nov 5 with 1049 viewsMaggsinho

Championship, very close this year on 12:48 - Nov 5 by TacticalR

It's early days but...neither of the teams that came down with us, nor any of the three relegated last season are in the top six in the Championship.
[Post edited 5 Nov 2014 12:51]

And only Derby from the other three play off sides last season in the top six as well.
Championship, very close this year on 13:08 - Nov 5 with 1022 viewswhittocksRs

Championship, very close this year on 12:36 - Nov 5 by PinnerPaul

People said that every August we were in it!

Impossible to prove or disprove in reality.

Agreed, but teams such as Forest, Blackburn, Millwall, Charloton Watford, Middlesboro, Bounremouth and Ipswich are more competitive, Derby are solid, Bolton and Fulham improving and the promoted teams are all giving decent accounts of themselves. Last year, there was a relatively clear divide even by this point between the top eight or nine and the rest.
Championship, very close this year on 13:41 - Nov 5 with 984 viewsderbyhoop

The 2 teams that got relegated with us, Reading and Wigan, are both in the bottom half. At the time, we were in a far worse state than either of those 2.
However it was done and however much money was thrown at the problem, the achievement in getting promoted last year should not be underestimated.
And, although I have reservations about some of our manager's decisions, he has to take a great deal of the credit.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Championship, very close this year on 13:53 - Nov 5 with 971 viewsPinnerPaul

Championship, very close this year on 13:08 - Nov 5 by whittocksRs

Agreed, but teams such as Forest, Blackburn, Millwall, Charloton Watford, Middlesboro, Bounremouth and Ipswich are more competitive, Derby are solid, Bolton and Fulham improving and the promoted teams are all giving decent accounts of themselves. Last year, there was a relatively clear divide even by this point between the top eight or nine and the rest.

Have to pick you up on Millwall - they haven't won in 11!
Championship, very close this year on 13:55 - Nov 5 with 970 viewsPinnerPaul

Championship, very close this year on 12:48 - Nov 5 by Konk

Even though we’ve not been higher than 20th, I’m really enjoying this season. Plenty of big enough clubs to give it a bit of retro glamour for a bloke of my age, loads of brilliant away days, some big away supports and the division is fantastically competitive. Derby are the only particularly good side we’ve played so far, but I’d sooner see us in a genuinely competitive division where anything can happen, than always losing to the top teams and striving for the holy grail of survival in the PL.

So you'll be gutted if you get to the play offs then?!
Championship, very close this year on 14:01 - Nov 5 with 961 viewswhittocksRs

Championship, very close this year on 13:53 - Nov 5 by PinnerPaul

Have to pick you up on Millwall - they haven't won in 11!

True, they started well and they've got Ollie, so I'm a bit blinkered :)
Championship, very close this year on 14:16 - Nov 5 with 940 viewsKonk

Championship, very close this year on 13:55 - Nov 5 by PinnerPaul

So you'll be gutted if you get to the play offs then?!

No, and that’s what’s so sh it about the PL. I’d love to see us promoted, but as soon as you get back there it’s back to resting players for cup games and scrapping around trying to avoid relegation with the odd year when you manage a mid table finish. I find it increasingly difficult to get excited about that and I’ll go to more games this season than I did in the past few seasons. If the Champions League clubs fu cked-off to their own European league, I think you'd see the PL much more like the Championship in terms of competition. You'd be left with big "local" clubs without global fan bases genuinely competing with a lot of smaller sides.

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

Championship, very close this year on 15:37 - Nov 5 with 870 viewsMatch82

Championship, very close this year on 14:16 - Nov 5 by Konk

No, and that’s what’s so sh it about the PL. I’d love to see us promoted, but as soon as you get back there it’s back to resting players for cup games and scrapping around trying to avoid relegation with the odd year when you manage a mid table finish. I find it increasingly difficult to get excited about that and I’ll go to more games this season than I did in the past few seasons. If the Champions League clubs fu cked-off to their own European league, I think you'd see the PL much more like the Championship in terms of competition. You'd be left with big "local" clubs without global fan bases genuinely competing with a lot of smaller sides.

A negative man would say that everything is pointless - you can't get too excited about doing well in the Championship because it means being promoted to a soulless league where you lose all the time and are playing not to get relegated.

A positive man would say that either way you win - if you avoid relegation in the Premier League then that's great - but getting relegated from the Premier League is a blessing because you get to play in a great league next year.

A French man would shrug.
An American man would ask what relegation was
A corrupt Swiss man would ask where his money was
Login to get fewer ads

Championship, very close this year on 16:07 - Nov 5 with 852 viewsMetallica_Hoop

I remember the Bournmouth fans we bumped into at the services in League 2 after some game or other.

They had just been relegated but were a very nice bunch.

Hope they keep up there

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Championship, very close this year on 20:33 - Nov 5 with 797 viewsHayesender

Championship latest

Forest 0 Brentford 2

Fulham 0 Blackpool 2

Poll: Shamima Beghum

Championship, very close this year on 20:43 - Nov 5 with 786 viewsLoft1979

Championship, very close this year on 11:48 - Nov 5 by whittocksRs

The league this year is a much better quality than last - not convinced we'd go up this year.

Hence the importance of bouncing straight back.
Wigan and reading not really doing well.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024