Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Matty Phillips Enigma 18:27 - Jan 2 with 6132 viewsRBlock

One issue I think we do have is we have nobody on our team who is willing to run past his fullback and deliver a decent cross. If we are going to play 4 4 2 with strikers such as Bobby and Austin it seems ridiculous not to have any old school wingers.

Hoilett flatters to deceive as we have all found out and has zero end product. Vargas we have seen has pace, but too often looks to turn back for support instead of trying to take on his fullback which is slightly disappointing. He also drifts in far too centrally which can block up the middle.

Phillips can and is, the only winger we have who does want to hug the byline and just try and beat his man on the outside, and importantly he has got a quality cross on him, but at the moment he seems utterly devoid of confidence. We have seen flashes of class from him inbetween various injuries and I would love to see him given a decent run in the team. Surely can't be any worse than Hoilett for a sub appearance like yesterday. Other than that we desperately need to get someone with a decent cross in this month. Or you know, coach someone, but this is QPR.
The Matty Phillips Enigma on 18:31 - Jan 2 with 3979 viewsNorthernr

This is a big problem for us at the moment you're right. Last season after PUlis took over at Palace they won 11 matches and stayed up, but they did it with 36% of the possession on average. They frightened teams on the counter attack with Bolasie and Puncheon either side. We should be able to do that with Phillips and Hoilett, and in fact I think that's what Redknapp tried to do at Everton. Particularly away from home this could be a great tactic for us, and a much needed plan B when the long ball to Zamora isn't working, as it hasn't done in the last two home games.

But they're both in dreadful form. They seem to overcomplicate it for me. Andy IMpey at the recent live podcast said he knew his job was to get to the byline and get a cross in. When he played for our reserves against Brentford in his trial match from Yeading he came off disappointed because he'd "only" done so twice in the first half and twice in the second. Hoilett and Phillips haven't been to the byline and delivered twice between them all season and they're both plenty good enough.

They should keep it simple. Forget all the tricks and flicks, forget driving in and having a shot, just concentrate on facing the full back up one on one, getting him to the byline and getting some end product slung in there. Regularly.
The Matty Phillips Enigma on 18:34 - Jan 2 with 3960 viewskysersosaqpr

The Matty Phillips Enigma on 18:31 - Jan 2 by Northernr

This is a big problem for us at the moment you're right. Last season after PUlis took over at Palace they won 11 matches and stayed up, but they did it with 36% of the possession on average. They frightened teams on the counter attack with Bolasie and Puncheon either side. We should be able to do that with Phillips and Hoilett, and in fact I think that's what Redknapp tried to do at Everton. Particularly away from home this could be a great tactic for us, and a much needed plan B when the long ball to Zamora isn't working, as it hasn't done in the last two home games.

But they're both in dreadful form. They seem to overcomplicate it for me. Andy IMpey at the recent live podcast said he knew his job was to get to the byline and get a cross in. When he played for our reserves against Brentford in his trial match from Yeading he came off disappointed because he'd "only" done so twice in the first half and twice in the second. Hoilett and Phillips haven't been to the byline and delivered twice between them all season and they're both plenty good enough.

They should keep it simple. Forget all the tricks and flicks, forget driving in and having a shot, just concentrate on facing the full back up one on one, getting him to the byline and getting some end product slung in there. Regularly.

But it is down to confidence. Neither have been starting.

The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

The Matty Phillips Enigma on 18:37 - Jan 2 with 3951 viewsHunterhoop

All well and good, but this, and giving them confidence, require someone to do some managing.

An alien concept, I know...
The Matty Phillips Enigma on 18:39 - Jan 2 with 3942 viewsNorthernr

The Matty Phillips Enigma on 18:34 - Jan 2 by kysersosaqpr

But it is down to confidence. Neither have been starting.

I think both have had ample opportunity to do more than they have.
The Matty Phillips Enigma on 18:39 - Jan 2 with 3941 viewsEalingRanger

If we've learnt anything over christmas it's that Hoilett can't do the "get to the byline, swing in a cross" job because he doesn't have a left foot. How many times did that stop him crossing in the final quarter of the Arsenal game?
The Matty Phillips Enigma on 18:41 - Jan 2 with 3932 viewsNorthernr

The Matty Phillips Enigma on 18:39 - Jan 2 by EalingRanger

If we've learnt anything over christmas it's that Hoilett can't do the "get to the byline, swing in a cross" job because he doesn't have a left foot. How many times did that stop him crossing in the final quarter of the Arsenal game?

The way he's playing at the moment it's impossible to tell if he's got a stronger or weaker foot. They're both equally crap.
The Matty Phillips Enigma on 18:46 - Jan 2 with 3904 viewsthemodfather

phillips is a lightweight, pulls out of every tackle...maybe no bottle?
hoilet is proven to be a waster, poor crosser and like swp a one trick pony, tries the foot over the ball and defenders don't fall for it.
The Matty Phillips Enigma on 18:46 - Jan 2 with 3900 viewsSpiritofGregory

You'd think that our coaching staff would have them practising running dowm the wing and crossing the ball in training. It might be old fashioned but that's what we need them to do, just keep running down the wing and whip the ball into the box.

We have a striker that's excellent in the air.
[Post edited 2 Jan 2015 18:48]
Login to get fewer ads

The Matty Phillips Enigma on 18:48 - Jan 2 with 3897 viewsPunteR

I would put Traore on the left wing ahead of Hoilett. Quicker,stronger and can cross.I think Phillips just hasn't had enough run of games plus injuries haven't helped.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

The Matty Phillips Enigma on 18:50 - Jan 2 with 3884 viewsonlyrinmoray

Only Rangers could buy two wingers who cant cross a ball Im really disappointed in Phillips who I thought was an excellent buy at the time
As we all know neither Vargas and Fer are wingers
The Matty Phillips Enigma on 18:52 - Jan 2 with 3874 viewsSpiritofGregory

The Matty Phillips Enigma on 18:48 - Jan 2 by PunteR

I would put Traore on the left wing ahead of Hoilett. Quicker,stronger and can cross.I think Phillips just hasn't had enough run of games plus injuries haven't helped.

How difficult can it be to find players who can run and cross the ball?
The Matty Phillips Enigma on 18:58 - Jan 2 with 3847 viewsthame_hoops

Players lacking confidence has to be one of the most overused terms in football. They are professionals.
The Matty Phillips Enigma on 19:02 - Jan 2 with 3827 viewsRBlock

Hoilett's one trick seems to have been found out. Shuffle down the left, cut in and fire high and wide. He did well with it at Blackburn and since then it has all been downhill. We have tried again and again with him and it killed me to seem him get space again and again on the left against Arsenal and only manage a few floated crosses into touch.

Phillips on the other hand took a while to get fit and then looked a force in the Championship he ran the show at Blackpool away in that miserable bloody rain. He got than injury to his ankle which curtailed his pre-season also and has seemed to drag over. Even recently when his touch has been poor and his confidence looking shot he can still whip a ball in. Just not getting it done enough. He seems less 'tricky' than Hoilett and more inclined to keep it simple. He seems to be scoring well in the reserve games. Give him a decent run in the team, even for 15 minutes at the end so he can build up his match fitness (move Vargas into the centre and let Bobby ice his hip). I think there is a player in there who could be very useful given the right circumstance.
The Matty Phillips Enigma on 19:04 - Jan 2 with 3820 viewsRBlock

The Matty Phillips Enigma on 18:58 - Jan 2 by thame_hoops

Players lacking confidence has to be one of the most overused terms in football. They are professionals.

Disagree with this, confidence and being comfortable on the ball in those sort of situations is key. Effects decision making massively.
The Matty Phillips Enigma on 19:04 - Jan 2 with 3820 viewswombat

The Matty Phillips Enigma on 18:41 - Jan 2 by Northernr

The way he's playing at the moment it's impossible to tell if he's got a stronger or weaker foot. They're both equally crap.

It's not boilers feet which are the problem , is his brain , I've never seen a player take the wrong option so many times he truelly is brainless when he gets the ball

Poll: which is your favouite foot

The Matty Phillips Enigma on 19:05 - Jan 2 with 3813 viewsbosh67

Hoilett looks better when he actually plays as a proper right winger, rather than on the left because he can't use his left foot, so getting to the byline is pointless.

Phillip's form issues are in his head I think. The guy is over 6 foot, well built and fast. Yet the arm break seems to have done something to his brain in that he appears to pull out of tackles or any physical confrontation. It is almost as if he goes into self protection mode. That obviously limits him as a footballer.

Our wing options are poor. SWP doesn't get a look in and we don't play Petrasso or give the kid a chance. Andrade can play off both feet as well.

We need to raid Spurs and get either Townsend or Lewis Holtby on loan. Both are left footed and can get to the byline.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

The Matty Phillips Enigma on 19:05 - Jan 2 with 3812 viewsbaz_qpr

The Matty Phillips Enigma on 18:41 - Jan 2 by Northernr

Reminds me of that winger that played for forest in the 80's / 90's black guy, extremely fast would beat his full back all day long but could not kick or cross a ball would regularly miscue the cross.

Franz Carr I think his name was
The Matty Phillips Enigma on 19:07 - Jan 2 with 3802 viewsessextaxiboy

The Matty Phillips Enigma on 18:52 - Jan 2 by SpiritofGregory

How difficult can it be to find players who can run and cross the ball?

Ok . Its that easy ?? Who ?
The Matty Phillips Enigma on 19:09 - Jan 2 with 3795 viewsbosh67

Lukas Podolski wants first team football but wants to stay in London. Left footed winger/striker with a great scoring ratio. Apparently will be made available on loan!!!

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

The Matty Phillips Enigma on 19:18 - Jan 2 with 3752 viewsSomersetHoops

The Matty Phillips Enigma on 18:48 - Jan 2 by PunteR

+1
Why have none of our supposed expert experienced coaching staff not yet realised that?

Who's Next?

The Matty Phillips Enigma on 19:21 - Jan 2 with 3745 viewsLblock

The Matty Phillips Enigma on 19:05 - Jan 2 by bosh67

Hoilett looks better when he actually plays as a proper right winger, rather than on the left because he can't use his left foot, so getting to the byline is pointless.

Phillip's form issues are in his head I think. The guy is over 6 foot, well built and fast. Yet the arm break seems to have done something to his brain in that he appears to pull out of tackles or any physical confrontation. It is almost as if he goes into self protection mode. That obviously limits him as a footballer.

Our wing options are poor. SWP doesn't get a look in and we don't play Petrasso or give the kid a chance. Andrade can play off both feet as well.

We need to raid Spurs and get either Townsend or Lewis Holtby on loan. Both are left footed and can get to the byline.

Andros plays on the right though doesnt he?
Whilst I'd love him back the fact he's playing in Spuds 1st team squad tells a story and it'd have to be a permanent transfer. With our previous dealings with Daniel Levy at the forefront of my mind I think I'd have to pass up any further dealings with them!!

I'm sure Holtby has gone to Germany as well.

How about Matt Jarvis at the Hammers?
Quite nippy, can cross, can shoot, fairly brave and currently playing for one of Dino's old clubs so all boxes ticked

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

The Matty Phillips Enigma on 19:24 - Jan 2 with 3734 viewsbosh67

The Matty Phillips Enigma on 19:21 - Jan 2 by Lblock

Andros plays on the right though doesnt he?
Whilst I'd love him back the fact he's playing in Spuds 1st team squad tells a story and it'd have to be a permanent transfer. With our previous dealings with Daniel Levy at the forefront of my mind I think I'd have to pass up any further dealings with them!!

I'm sure Holtby has gone to Germany as well.

How about Matt Jarvis at the Hammers?
Quite nippy, can cross, can shoot, fairly brave and currently playing for one of Dino's old clubs so all boxes ticked

Matt Jarvis is a good shout

Never knowingly right.

The Matty Phillips Enigma on 19:24 - Jan 2 with 3733 viewsDWQPR

Some interesting combinations of crapness out forward. Hoilett on the right? Then that means putting Vargas in the number ten role behind Austin and one thing about Vargas on the right is the link up play he has with Isla, which at times is a pleasure to watch and almost brought us a winner yesterday and which has caused many teams problems this season. Hoilett on the left, judging by his cameo yesterday which really summed him up, weak when challenge, runs into dead ends, final ball pîss poor, drags his shot to the left whenever he has a goal scoring opportunity and basically rubbish. Phillips is weak, shirks a challenge more often than not and probably not as good as be thinks he is, also heard from a friend through the grapevine that he was a decent down to earth bloke before he signed for us and then became a bit of a Bertie Big Bollôcks. That leaves Traore, the best crosser of a ball at the club. I would stick him on the left and keep Vargas on the right and try my mate Fer behind Austin and lets see what he can really do in his favoured role.

Poll: Where will Clive put QPR in his new season preview

The Matty Phillips Enigma on 19:31 - Jan 2 with 3709 viewsLblock

I think I could probably guess what Fer would do in his favoured role....

A couple of long range piledrivers
Riverdance step overs every other time he has the ball
Not track back
Be weak in the tackle
... generally prove himself to be the Six Million Pound Man and live up to his nickname of "The Bouncer"

Mmmmmmmm

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

The Matty Phillips Enigma on 20:35 - Jan 2 with 3583 viewsBasingstokeR

Phillips has had less than 20 league starts in total since he's been here, not sure he's ever had a fair run.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024