Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Wally Downes jr blog 12:24 - Mar 16 with 10105 viewsclassof93

http://www.espnfc.com/club/queens-park-rangers/334/blog/post/2350417/downes-jr-a
Wally Downes jr blog on 17:03 - Mar 16 with 2623 viewsrobith

Wally Downes jr blog on 16:44 - Mar 16 by NW5Hoop

For what it's worth, if I had been writing pieces about the state of QPR and was continually told I was a tosser with an axe to grind, that anyone with the slightest interest in QPR should be grateful for having TF, and that we're in a much better state than we were four years ago, then I think I'd have gone for the sarcasm a good bit earlier than this.

Sadly you missed the part where your negative view coincided with your father being sacked by said club
Wally Downes jr blog on 17:27 - Mar 16 with 2595 viewsdaveB

Wally Downes jr blog on 16:44 - Mar 16 by NW5Hoop

For what it's worth, if I had been writing pieces about the state of QPR and was continually told I was a tosser with an axe to grind, that anyone with the slightest interest in QPR should be grateful for having TF, and that we're in a much better state than we were four years ago, then I think I'd have gone for the sarcasm a good bit earlier than this.

problem is he's been writing about the state of the club and how we should go back to what we used to be buying from lower league, developing players etc and then when the club try and bring players through he is straight in to ridicule them for doing so. Just seems unfair to me
Wally Downes jr blog on 17:31 - Mar 16 with 2586 viewsMatch82

ESPN is just a mainstream version of CaughtOffside and other click-bait sites.

Their preference is for provocative articles rather than well written or considered ones, because those get more clicks and hence more advertising revenue.
Wally Downes jr blog on 17:39 - Mar 16 with 2564 viewsNW5Hoop

Wally Downes jr blog on 17:27 - Mar 16 by daveB

problem is he's been writing about the state of the club and how we should go back to what we used to be buying from lower league, developing players etc and then when the club try and bring players through he is straight in to ridicule them for doing so. Just seems unfair to me

As I said, he wrote a blog about what a good prospect Furlong was and how unfair it was to the player to throw him into a sh*t defence against Sanchez. He's not having a go at Furlong.
Wally Downes jr blog on 17:46 - Mar 16 with 2552 viewsNorthernr

Not commenting specifically on this blog, I'll make a general point in a minute, but it should be remembered that whatever we think of Wally Downes Jr and his style, his writing, his supposed axe to grind and whatever else that at the start of the season he was the only one at the Friday press conference who ever had the stones on him to ever ask Redknapp anything. The rest of the broadcast journos were happy to sit there and lap up his "we're short at right back" and never mention Danny Simpson and several other examples before. Downes did at least call him on it, and it was the only time Bagpuss ever looked remotely ruffled or troubled while he was doing a fcking horrendous job and being praised to the hills for it.

Speaking generally, it is a bit of a nightmare writing about QPR at the moment. And before anybody says "don't fcking do it then" we all have to put food on the table somehow. Because, overall, there isn't a lot of positive stuff to say is there? But if you say it how it is you're negative, or with an axe to grind, or you should "get a life", "get a girlfriend", "just fck off," "get a proper job", "just shut up", "closet Chelsea fan" etc etc.
Wally Downes jr blog on 17:54 - Mar 16 with 2535 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Can I get something straight?

Is this Wally Downes Jnr any relation to Wally Downes the coach we jettisoned end of last season?

Is it his son?

Wally Downes (the coach) is part of a QPR mad family and I couldn't imagine he'd be pleased with his son (?) writing this stuff, even if he was bitter with his exit from the club.

Seems very odd to me. Maybe i've missed something obvious.
Wally Downes jr blog on 18:09 - Mar 16 with 2516 viewsNorthernr

Wally Downes jr blog on 17:54 - Mar 16 by BazzaInTheLoft

Can I get something straight?

Is this Wally Downes Jnr any relation to Wally Downes the coach we jettisoned end of last season?

Is it his son?

Wally Downes (the coach) is part of a QPR mad family and I couldn't imagine he'd be pleased with his son (?) writing this stuff, even if he was bitter with his exit from the club.

Seems very odd to me. Maybe i've missed something obvious.

Yes it's his lad and yes they're all mad QPR fans. I'm a mad QPR fan, I've written some horrible, scathing stuff about the club in the past couple of years. What else can you do? Look at the fcking state of the place. Rather than being upset with his son, I should imagine Wally Downes Snr is upset with the state of the club he loves, just as we all are.
Wally Downes jr blog on 18:14 - Mar 16 with 2508 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Wally Downes jr blog on 17:46 - Mar 16 by Northernr

Not commenting specifically on this blog, I'll make a general point in a minute, but it should be remembered that whatever we think of Wally Downes Jr and his style, his writing, his supposed axe to grind and whatever else that at the start of the season he was the only one at the Friday press conference who ever had the stones on him to ever ask Redknapp anything. The rest of the broadcast journos were happy to sit there and lap up his "we're short at right back" and never mention Danny Simpson and several other examples before. Downes did at least call him on it, and it was the only time Bagpuss ever looked remotely ruffled or troubled while he was doing a fcking horrendous job and being praised to the hills for it.

Speaking generally, it is a bit of a nightmare writing about QPR at the moment. And before anybody says "don't fcking do it then" we all have to put food on the table somehow. Because, overall, there isn't a lot of positive stuff to say is there? But if you say it how it is you're negative, or with an axe to grind, or you should "get a life", "get a girlfriend", "just fck off," "get a proper job", "just shut up", "closet Chelsea fan" etc etc.

I'm no wordsmith, as the shite I write on here will testify, but I have read many critical pieces on QPR that I agree with. This looks like a attack from the heart not the head which is surely a no no in the journalistic world?
Login to get fewer ads

Wally Downes jr blog on 18:16 - Mar 16 with 2506 viewsNorthernr

Wally Downes jr blog on 18:14 - Mar 16 by BazzaInTheLoft

I'm no wordsmith, as the shite I write on here will testify, but I have read many critical pieces on QPR that I agree with. This looks like a attack from the heart not the head which is surely a no no in the journalistic world?

Yes quite possibly, like I say, not commenting specifically on this piece. Generally speaking though, every QPR fan knows the place is a shambles, as soon as somebody writes that it's a shambles there's a section that sets on them.
Wally Downes jr blog on 18:21 - Mar 16 with 2492 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Wally Downes jr blog on 18:16 - Mar 16 by Northernr

Yes quite possibly, like I say, not commenting specifically on this piece. Generally speaking though, every QPR fan knows the place is a shambles, as soon as somebody writes that it's a shambles there's a section that sets on them.

So you're damned if you do and you damned if you don't is what you're saying.
Wally Downes jr blog on 21:46 - Mar 16 with 2380 viewsSpiritofGregory

In relation to the youngsters I agree with him. Youth players need to be brought through at the right time. You don't just throw them into a relegation dog fight. Our club does everything back to front.

Whatever your views on the two Wallies, they have QPR's interests at heart and can see the damage that is being done to the club.
Wally Downes jr blog on 21:58 - Mar 16 with 2374 viewsBasingstokeR

Click and share bait of the highest order and lowest quality that 'article' (messageboard rant published on espn)
Wally Downes jr blog on 22:38 - Mar 16 with 2345 viewsYorkRanger

Wally Downes jr blog on 17:46 - Mar 16 by Northernr

Clive, i agree with your broad point that journalists have to write about what they see, and lets face it there is plenty wrong. However I'm not sure that it needs a sanctimonious, sarcastic piece like Downes has written. It just comes across as smug and p1sses people off, many of those people would agree with the sentiments therein if it was written in a different way.
Wally Downes jr blog on 23:29 - Mar 16 with 2317 viewsNW10Hoop

Wally Downes jr blog on 22:38 - Mar 16 by YorkRanger

Clive, i agree with your broad point that journalists have to write about what they see, and lets face it there is plenty wrong. However I'm not sure that it needs a sanctimonious, sarcastic piece like Downes has written. It just comes across as smug and p1sses people off, many of those people would agree with the sentiments therein if it was written in a different way.

Agreed
Wally Downes jr blog on 23:31 - Mar 16 with 2316 viewsGetMeRangers

There lies the difference. Unlike that article, you can write amusingly, with wit while also pointing to the glaring faults within the running of the club. I dont believe many, if any, would question you motives or passion for the club
We are spoilt by your excellent journalism. The same can not be said for Wally Downes Jnr, even if he did ask pertinent questions of HR
Wally Downes jr blog on 23:54 - Mar 16 with 2126 viewsTacticalR

It might not be his intention, but isn't he justifying Redknapp?

Air hostess clique

Wally Downes jr blog on 10:16 - Mar 17 with 2034 viewsdaveB

What gets me is he's slating the club for actually doing the right thing for a change
Wally Downes jr blog on 11:11 - Mar 17 with 1996 viewsDiscodroids

if the clubs being run like a crock of shit then say it like it is. end of story.

he's not suggesting our mothers mate out of season with stray dogs in the street .

we've won 6 games in seven months have karl henry as our linchpin ,the botton half of master blaster as our cub captain last week and a training ground the gypsies under the a13 barking flyover wouldnt use for a bare knuckle tear up on you tube and a manager who should be talking about everlasting life on the door step at 9 am on a sunday morning ... all for untold millions .

as a supporter whose been making the pilgrimige to w12 since 1977 as a ten year old , and spent gawd knows how many thousands ...ive put my pound in the juke box and will lay my turd of righteousness as i see fit.

still thought it was a bland article though.no mention of mica paris ,jermery clarkson, KFC Krushems or the chelsea P.A .system at stamford bridge ..poor show.

[Post edited 17 Mar 2015 11:17]

"...The monkey is never dead, Dealer. The monkey never dies. When you kick him off, he just hides in a corner, waiting his turn."

Wally Downes jr blog on 11:16 - Mar 17 with 1988 viewsCroydonCaptJack

Wally Downes jr blog on 11:11 - Mar 17 by Discodroids

if the clubs being run like a crock of shit then say it like it is. end of story.

he's not suggesting our mothers mate out of season with stray dogs in the street .

we've won 6 games in seven months have karl henry as our linchpin ,the botton half of master blaster as our cub captain last week and a training ground the gypsies under the a13 barking flyover wouldnt use for a bare knuckle tear up on you tube and a manager who should be talking about everlasting life on the door step at 9 am on a sunday morning ... all for untold millions .

as a supporter whose been making the pilgrimige to w12 since 1977 as a ten year old , and spent gawd knows how many thousands ...ive put my pound in the juke box and will lay my turd of righteousness as i see fit.

still thought it was a bland article though.no mention of mica paris ,jermery clarkson, KFC Krushems or the chelsea P.A .system at stamford bridge ..poor show.

Yes Disco, it was just poor really. Pointless.
Wally Downes jr blog on 11:21 - Mar 17 with 1982 viewsQPR442

Every time i hear of an article by Wally Downes-jr i don't waste my time reading it. The guy is a wally and a bitter tool.
Wally Downes jr blog on 11:32 - Mar 17 with 1970 viewsdaveB

Wally Downes jr blog on 11:11 - Mar 17 by Discodroids

Plenty to slate the club for, not as though anyone would struggle to pick holes in the club and how's it's been run for the last ten years but to ridicule for playing a kid at right back when we don't have any other right backs seems unfair to me
Wally Downes jr blog on 12:01 - Mar 17 with 1940 viewsrobith

Reading it again, it's not that any of the content is incorrect, but the whiff of self importance from it is just staggering. Then reading his twitter he basically seems to having a public cry over some guy critiquing him. Staggering.

Then again he had a go at someone commemorating Holocaust Memorial Day, so in the grand scheme small fry
Wally Downes jr blog on 12:41 - Mar 17 with 1918 viewsBasingstokeR

There's a difference between constructive criticism, negativity, ranting and click/share baiting.

Clive I don't think i recall you being particularly "horrible" or "scathing" in your articles as you're fair, and offer up ideas and alternatives when stating something is or has been done wrong.

This "apology" by Downes reads as though its about him more than anything else; and is slightly embarrassing that its representing our club on ESPN (we don't need any extra embarrassment).

What Anton Ego says at the end of Ratatouille comes to mind here;
"In many ways, the work of a critic is easy. We risk very little, yet enjoy a position over those who offer up their work and their selves to our judgment. We thrive on negative criticism, which is fun to write and to read. But the bitter truth we critics must face is that, in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so."
[Post edited 17 Mar 2015 12:54]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024