Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Predictions and expectations 14:44 - Jun 18 with 7649 viewsMvpeter

Let me start by saying I'm very happy with the summer so far in regards to the football side of things so I'm not even arguing for the right to moan, quite the opposite for once, I wish for the right to praise.

But I've noticed this bizarre trend taking place within the QPR fan community, not just on here, where opinions and predictions on signings aren't acceptable or are pointless. Where has this nonsense come from that the signings looked good last season? And that because of said nonsense people can't possibly make predictions on this years signings. That was with foresight the worst preseason preparation I have ever seen.

We had enough goalkeepers and attacking midfielders ( a position we don't use.) That was it. Short at centreback, 1 full back for 2 positions, 2 fit central midfielders, two wingers and two fit strikers.

This is after we left it very late to make even the signings needed to make that squad ensuring that half would miss the amateur preseason and that we'd be a team of strangers once again. That is atrocious.

I am so tired of this wait and see delaying tactic from the apologists. It's wait until they play then wait until they play 15 games then wait till January then wait till the seasons over and repeat again and again. The reason so many have been up in arms over so many decisions over the last four years is because they were the wrong decisions, they were seen to be wrong at the time and they have of course been proven to be wrong since.

Poll: Who should be our left back?

Predictions and expectations on 15:00 - Jun 18 with 5462 viewsFredManRave

I'm going to give this thread until the end of the day before I decide if it's good or not...

I've got the Power.
Poll: MOM from todays Teasing at Teesside?

Predictions and expectations on 15:04 - Jun 18 with 5453 viewsGetMeRangers

Maybe it is me, but NW first summer of signings left me completely underwhelmed: Orr, Paddy 'pie thief, party animal reformed drug taker' Kenny, Shaun Derry, Clint Hill and Jamie Mackie from relegated Plymouth. Only when he signed Adel did I get excited. Didnt think we would do much that season but was going to blessed with a chance of seeing some Adel magic.

Conversely, no matter how late, there have been many signings of recent seasons where I have thought we were getting a good player that would propel the club forward. Even SWP impressed in early games especially against Newcastle, though the WBA disallowed goal finally removed the last of any confidence he ever had

It is still early. Not many clubs are doing much business and fully expect us to make use of the loan system, as many Championship clubs do

This has been one of the better summers of many recent years
Predictions and expectations on 15:06 - Jun 18 with 5443 viewsSpiritofGregory

Predictions and expectations on 15:00 - Jun 18 by FredManRave

I'm going to give this thread until the end of the day before I decide if it's good or not...

Let's see who we replace Austin and Phillips with and if we can sort out our leaky defence.
Predictions and expectations on 15:19 - Jun 18 with 5423 viewsNorthernr

I think people remember that nobody was very impressed when we signed Leon Clarke, Clint Hill, Shaun Derry, Paddy Kenny straight off a drug ban, Bradley Orr etc and yet we ran away with the league. By contrast, when were signing Mbia, Granero, Ji Sung Park, Nelson, Cesar etc to go on top of Cisse who finished the season in great form people were talking about a push for Europe and we ended up dead last and in complete disarray.

We've made a whole host of signings over the last five years, young and old, British and foreign, experienced and not, good and bad and they've pretty much all turned out to be crap because of the system they're coming into. That system, it seems, is changing for the better now, but I think people are right to say "let's wait and see".
Predictions and expectations on 15:47 - Jun 18 with 5384 viewsadhoc_qpr

The changes are too big and it's too early to make any kind of accurate prediction. I like the look of the signings but acknowledge that Luongo and Gladwin might struggle to make the step up, JET might prove a bust at Championship level again and Mackie might have lost some of his drive and energy with age.

But whatever the PR spin about patience, Ramsey will have to show reasonable progress pretty quickly or he'll be sacked by Christmas IMO.

Don't forget the DoF system makes the head coach much easier to replace, as they aren't running the transfers and staff decisions
Predictions and expectations on 15:50 - Jun 18 with 5380 viewsMvpeter

Predictions and expectations on 15:19 - Jun 18 by Northernr

I think people remember that nobody was very impressed when we signed Leon Clarke, Clint Hill, Shaun Derry, Paddy Kenny straight off a drug ban, Bradley Orr etc and yet we ran away with the league. By contrast, when were signing Mbia, Granero, Ji Sung Park, Nelson, Cesar etc to go on top of Cisse who finished the season in great form people were talking about a push for Europe and we ended up dead last and in complete disarray.

We've made a whole host of signings over the last five years, young and old, British and foreign, experienced and not, good and bad and they've pretty much all turned out to be crap because of the system they're coming into. That system, it seems, is changing for the better now, but I think people are right to say "let's wait and see".

The championship title was a shock to all including those within the club. One or even many failed predictions do not negate the ability to predict however.

Any who thought that Hughes' summer was going to be a push for Europe were, with foresight, delusional. That was just as bad. The same really applies to anyone who didn't think we'd be seriously struggling against relegation. It was glaringly obvious.

We've made a host of signings over the last 5 years and they've pretty much turned out crap because they were poor decisions individually and didn't fit together with the others made. This was recognisable.

This year we have made four signings: Two strikers which we need and two versatile midfielders which we need. This has not happened over the past 5 years.

There are no guarantees and usually football is fairly hard to predict but that does not mean it cannot be done and it certainly does not mean that you can't complain when you sign a third 36 year old central defender or that we shouldn't be pleased if we actually sign a left winger/right back/any signing we actually need this summer.

People have a right to say 'I'll wait and see', the issue is when they try to make others. Same problem with most rights.

Predictions and expectations on 15:53 - Jun 18 with 5368 viewsNorthernr

Predictions and expectations on 15:50 - Jun 18 by Mvpeter

The championship title was a shock to all including those within the club. One or even many failed predictions do not negate the ability to predict however.

Any who thought that Hughes' summer was going to be a push for Europe were, with foresight, delusional. That was just as bad. The same really applies to anyone who didn't think we'd be seriously struggling against relegation. It was glaringly obvious.

We've made a host of signings over the last 5 years and they've pretty much turned out crap because they were poor decisions individually and didn't fit together with the others made. This was recognisable.

This year we have made four signings: Two strikers which we need and two versatile midfielders which we need. This has not happened over the past 5 years.

There are no guarantees and usually football is fairly hard to predict but that does not mean it cannot be done and it certainly does not mean that you can't complain when you sign a third 36 year old central defender or that we shouldn't be pleased if we actually sign a left winger/right back/any signing we actually need this summer.

People have a right to say 'I'll wait and see', the issue is when they try to make others. Same problem with most rights.

Well you make a prediction and the rest of us will follow when we see fit, how about that?
Predictions and expectations on 16:05 - Jun 18 with 5342 viewsWilloW4

Predictions and expectations on 15:00 - Jun 18 by FredManRave

Fair point Fred..however, I'm going for mid table safety with a chance of sneaking into the last play off place, just to keep our interest up..just a thought !
Login to get fewer ads

Predictions and expectations on 16:11 - Jun 18 with 5323 viewsMvpeter

Predictions and expectations on 15:53 - Jun 18 by Northernr

Well you make a prediction and the rest of us will follow when we see fit, how about that?

Fine and dandy.

Tbh the post was inspired by someone complaining about someone complaining about signing Mackie. I'm pretty ecstatic over getting Mackie back but it annoys me that they didn't argue why it's a good idea to bring him back, they gave a wait and see.

Predictions and expectations on 16:39 - Jun 18 with 5274 viewsdaveB

I thought our signings looked good last summer, plenty of others did as well. Fer, Mutch, Caulker, Vargas and Isla all looked good players. Ferdinand looked a 50/50 one but with the plan to play 3 at the back could see the logic and it all went to pot. We needed more of course we did especially up front but the players we signed on paper at least looked decent and the right kind of characters.

This time I'm just going to wait and see how they get on. I know next to nothing about the 3 new players so no idea if they are any good or useless. I don't see the point in making predictions on players i've not seen play live, it would be pure guesswork
Predictions and expectations on 17:03 - Jun 18 with 5230 viewspeejaybee

Predictions and expectations on 16:39 - Jun 18 by daveB

I thought our signings looked good last summer, plenty of others did as well. Fer, Mutch, Caulker, Vargas and Isla all looked good players. Ferdinand looked a 50/50 one but with the plan to play 3 at the back could see the logic and it all went to pot. We needed more of course we did especially up front but the players we signed on paper at least looked decent and the right kind of characters.

This time I'm just going to wait and see how they get on. I know next to nothing about the 3 new players so no idea if they are any good or useless. I don't see the point in making predictions on players i've not seen play live, it would be pure guesswork

That is as good a getout as any,you just wait and see.

If at first you dont succeed, pack up and f**k off home.

Predictions and expectations on 17:18 - Jun 18 with 5203 viewsFDC

I don't think you can predict exactly how a season is going to pan out based on signings alone, contrary to what most tv punditry would have us believe. There's more fundamental changes afoot, potentially, which could have a greater bearing on the next two or three seasons.
[Post edited 18 Jun 2015 17:19]
Predictions and expectations on 17:25 - Jun 18 with 5194 viewsPhilmyRs

Predictions and expectations on 15:19 - Jun 18 by Northernr

I’m torn on this. Whilst I appreciate we have a way of turning good players sh*t, I don’t think that was such a problem last season. It wasn’t the system players came into that got us relegated in my opinion. It was the poor recruitment and decisions by the previous manager that got us into such a mess.

Going into the season with Austin and Zamora as you’re front men, cost us. Talking up 3-5-2 and selling your best full back only to then abandon the system 2 games into the season, cost us. Not buying a striker in January when we were crying out for reinforcements, cost us. Not getting more from Vargas, an international striker, cost us. Starting the season in poor physical condition and consequently struggling to compete in away games, cost us.

Of the signings we made in the summer, only Mutch appeared to regress (Rio was already on the way down). I saw enough from the others to know they could have added something to the side and the system they came into didn’t make them worse. It was how they were used/managed which was the problem.
Predictions and expectations on 17:33 - Jun 18 with 5181 viewsganjR

Predictions and expectations on 17:25 - Jun 18 by PhilmyRs

I’m torn on this. Whilst I appreciate we have a way of turning good players sh*t, I don’t think that was such a problem last season. It wasn’t the system players came into that got us relegated in my opinion. It was the poor recruitment and decisions by the previous manager that got us into such a mess.

Going into the season with Austin and Zamora as you’re front men, cost us. Talking up 3-5-2 and selling your best full back only to then abandon the system 2 games into the season, cost us. Not buying a striker in January when we were crying out for reinforcements, cost us. Not getting more from Vargas, an international striker, cost us. Starting the season in poor physical condition and consequently struggling to compete in away games, cost us.

Of the signings we made in the summer, only Mutch appeared to regress (Rio was already on the way down). I saw enough from the others to know they could have added something to the side and the system they came into didn’t make them worse. It was how they were used/managed which was the problem.

Again, on paper, we are doing well.
Looking at other championship forums, many, seemingly knowledgable posters have been raving about Luongo and JET. Swindon fans rave about Gladwin and we rave about Mackie.
Prohouly looks class in vids (I know) and is only 17, N'Guessan is rated by Stevenage supporters.
As has been said, who comes in to replace the star players and how patient our fans are during and after a very hard start to the season, will be deciding factors.
So far, so good, but my expectations are a top 10 finish, others may need to check their expectation levels a bit.
Predictions and expectations on 17:42 - Jun 18 with 5167 viewsMvpeter

Predictions and expectations on 17:25 - Jun 18 by PhilmyRs

This mate. This right here.

Predictions and expectations on 17:49 - Jun 18 with 5154 viewsMvpeter

Predictions and expectations on 16:39 - Jun 18 by daveB

There is a vast difference between a good player and a good signing as well as signing good players and building a good squad.

If ever there was a certainty in football its that Rio Ferdinand would be a spectacular failure.

Predictions and expectations on 17:51 - Jun 18 with 5151 viewsizlingtonhoop

Predictions and expectations on 17:18 - Jun 18 by FDC

I don't think you can predict exactly how a season is going to pan out based on signings alone, contrary to what most tv punditry would have us believe. There's more fundamental changes afoot, potentially, which could have a greater bearing on the next two or three seasons.
[Post edited 18 Jun 2015 17:19]

If anyone could predict anything, based on anything, bookies would soon go out of business.

Here's one I remember:

"Whoever wins election ‘will be out of power for years’"

"Whoever wins could face such a violent backlash against cuts in public spending that they will be thrown out of office and could remain in the wilderness for a generation."

Mervyn King April 2010

http://www.theweek.co.uk/14937/whoever-wins-election-will-be-out-of-power-for-ye
Predictions and expectations on 17:54 - Jun 18 with 5141 viewsswitchingcode

You will have more chairman than points by the end of August lol
Predictions and expectations on 18:05 - Jun 18 with 5120 viewsessextaxiboy

Predictions and expectations on 15:50 - Jun 18 by Mvpeter

Heres the thing .. You are allowed to be wrong on LFW and in most things . Just because someone is an optimist and trys to find some positivity doesnt make them an apologist or "happy clappy" .

I just refuse to sit here in July and predict that we are going to have a crap season and struggle against relegation .

Actually it was me who spoke about Europe and it wasnt a prediction that we would make it but a comment that the odds were generous and for a small stake you could cover the cost of a couple of Euro aways...a hedge .

Just as this season a punt of say 30 quid could cover the increase in ST if we go back up . Most of us would spend that on beer at the first game .

I think we are building nicely and this time next year will be hoping we can hold on to Ramsey .
[Post edited 18 Jun 2015 18:15]
Predictions and expectations on 19:54 - Jun 18 with 5046 viewsW13R

Predictions and expectations on 17:54 - Jun 18 by switchingcode

You will have more chairman than points by the end of August lol

Can't wait until we are run properly like you Bee's.

You must be so proud of hitting the heady heights of the Championship as your claim to fame.

One day you might actually win something at Wembley or you never know even play in the top division.................... not something we need to worry about as we've been there, seen it and done it.

I can see it being a long old season with you stalking us
Predictions and expectations on 21:08 - Jun 18 with 4990 viewspaulparker

I actually think we will have a decent season next year
There isn't a stand out team in the championship maybe Wolves or Hull
I think Boro will have a hangover and may start off poor and the rest are a much of a muchness
Green or Mcarthy are strong keepers if we can get in a decent right back say a Chris Gunter another CB to partner Ned some experience in midfield and of course a striker to replace Austin
We won't be a million miles off
As you know I'm not Ramseys biggest fan and I think we need a tough bar stard number 2 to help him say a Derry or Gerry Francis , I trust les to get that appointment right
The future is looking a lot brighter as a club and I think we can push for a play off place if we Finnish say 10 th or 11th playing decent football that wouldn't be bad either
On the whole I'm in a positive mood
NURSE !!!!

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Predictions and expectations on 22:41 - Jun 18 with 4953 viewsswitchingcode

Predictions and expectations on 19:54 - Jun 18 by W13R

Can't wait until we are run properly like you Bee's.

You must be so proud of hitting the heady heights of the Championship as your claim to fame.

One day you might actually win something at Wembley or you never know even play in the top division.................... not something we need to worry about as we've been there, seen it and done it.

I can see it being a long old season with you stalking us

Been there,seen it and done it.Was that last season you were referring to ...embarassing lol
Predictions and expectations on 23:07 - Jun 18 with 4920 viewsPablo_Hoopsta

Predictions and expectations on 22:41 - Jun 18 by switchingcode

Been there,seen it and done it.Was that last season you were referring to ...embarassing lol

Been there more than once old boy, try founding members, finishing 5th in the table, TOP TEAM IN LONDON biaaaaaatch!
Predictions and expectations on 00:01 - Jun 19 with 4881 viewsPunteR

We havnt had any continuity from season to season for years. We seem to start the new season with a whole new team with varying results.
I'm not surprised fans are withholding judgment on how this season pans out.
Just for the record I think we will do ok. Mid table is fine with me.
I'm looking forward to seeing how Gladwin does. I've heard good things about him.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Predictions and expectations on 07:28 - Jun 19 with 4793 viewsRanger78

Impossible to set expectations until the ins and outs are all done.

I'd like to think we could still challenge for a play off spot but I think top 10 would be more realistic. Some very good teams. Derby have just added Weiman from Villa to an already very good squad. Boro, Hull, Burnley, should also all expect to be fighting near the top. It won't be easy.

As for our signings, I'm very happy, I definitely feel like we are heading in the right direction. I'd happily accept Championship top 10 / possible play off push with a group of people who care and are genuinely doing their best to improve.

Give be that any day over fighting Prem relegation with a bunch of money grabbing parasites who do not care one iota and who think they are doing us a favour by being here!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024