Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
James McClean. Thoughts 14:14 - Jul 20 with 17091 viewsHayesender

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sportsnews/article-3167564/Republic-Ireland-int

Disrespectful cnt, or fair play for standing by his principles?

Poll: Shamima Beghum

James McClean. Thoughts on 16:19 - Jul 20 with 2819 viewsAntti_Heinola

James McClean. Thoughts on 16:07 - Jul 20 by paulparker

Who knows with some people

But if I hated a country, the beliefs, the way of life even there anthem I wouldnt go and live there and make money in that country because when you start acting up it makes you a hypocrite

'But if I hated a country, the beliefs, the way of life even there anthem'

Where are you getting this from?

The Fiver just put it very eloquently I think...

As minor acts of protest go, it was fairly low key and certainly not up there with dropping your trews and mooning the Cenotaph. As a Catholic reared in the Creggan area of Derry, scene of the Bloody Sunday massacre in 1972, McClean, his family and their neighbours have long had certain “issues” regarding that particularly sordid chapter of the British army’s history and — presumably by extension — the commander-in-chief of that army who is celebrated in the national anthem played before the Baggies’ match against Charleston Battery. And if after careful consideration of all the facts at his disposal, Mr McClean decided that, as an Irishman from Creggan, standing to face an English flag during the British anthem was not for him, then the Fiver reckons he had every right to shuffle a few degrees to his right and wait quietly until the tune was finished playing.

“I don’t need to say anything or will I either,” tweeted McClean upon becoming aware of the brouhaha that was unfolding, when assorted people on Twitter labelled him “scum”, “disgraceful” and “disgusting”. While making the rather childish and simplistic point that somebody who doesn’t like the British shouldn’t live or work in England. It’s a weird one, not least because there is very little evidence that McClean is a footballer who dislikes anyone but just has some strongly held beliefs for which he is quietly determined to stand up for.

Well documented among these is his refusal to wear a poppy, despite hundreds of thousands of soldiers dying in the fight against fascism so that future generations would have the right to flame and insult footballers for choosing not to take to the field with a flower embroidered in their shirt. McClean has eloquently explained his reasons for not wearing a poppy before and will no doubt have to do so again later this year as assorted eejits engage in odious attempts to impose their political views on a bloke who merely chooses not to forget or ignore an atrocity perpetrated in his home town not too long ago.

Bare bones.

James McClean. Thoughts on 16:33 - Jul 20 with 2767 viewspaulparker

James McClean. Thoughts on 16:19 - Jul 20 by Antti_Heinola

As minor acts of protest go, it was fairly low key and certainly not up there with dropping your trews and mooning the Cenotaph. As a Catholic reared in the Creggan area of Derry, scene of the Bloody Sunday massacre in 1972, McClean, his family and their neighbours have long had certain “issues” regarding that particularly sordid chapter of the British army’s history and — presumably by extension — the commander-in-chief of that army who is celebrated in the national anthem played before the Baggies’ match against Charleston Battery. And if after careful consideration of all the facts at his disposal, Mr McClean decided that, as an Irishman from Creggan, standing to face an English flag during the British anthem was not for him, then the Fiver reckons he had every right to shuffle a few degrees to his right and wait quietly until the tune was finished playing.

“I don’t need to say anything or will I either,” tweeted McClean upon becoming aware of the brouhaha that was unfolding, when assorted people on Twitter labelled him “scum”, “disgraceful” and “disgusting”. While making the rather childish and simplistic point that somebody who doesn’t like the British shouldn’t live or work in England. It’s a weird one, not least because there is very little evidence that McClean is a footballer who dislikes anyone but just has some strongly held beliefs for which he is quietly determined to stand up for.

Well documented among these is his refusal to wear a poppy, despite hundreds of thousands of soldiers dying in the fight against fascism so that future generations would have the right to flame and insult footballers for choosing not to take to the field with a flower embroidered in their shirt. McClean has eloquently explained his reasons for not wearing a poppy before and will no doubt have to do so again later this year as assorted eejits engage in odious attempts to impose their political views on a bloke who merely chooses not to forget or ignore an atrocity perpetrated in his home town not too long ago.

If I felt strongly enough about the atrocities of the IRA I wouldn't move to Ireland, or work in Ireland , and if I did I certainly wouldn't cause a fuss when the Irish anthem was playing
McLean has his views and that's fine if that's his views and if he is anti British or British establishment then don't live here , Then he won't have to stand there and be a part of the British national anthem when it plays ,

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

James McClean. Thoughts on 16:37 - Jul 20 with 2752 viewsWatford_Ranger

James McClean. Thoughts on 16:33 - Jul 20 by paulparker

If I felt strongly enough about the atrocities of the IRA I wouldn't move to Ireland, or work in Ireland , and if I did I certainly wouldn't cause a fuss when the Irish anthem was playing
McLean has his views and that's fine if that's his views and if he is anti British or British establishment then don't live here , Then he won't have to stand there and be a part of the British national anthem when it plays ,

But he's not causing a fuss. He's standing there doing nothing at all while people spit feathers like he's waving an Irish flag and shouting "fck the queen"
James McClean. Thoughts on 16:46 - Jul 20 with 2725 viewspaulparker

James McClean. Thoughts on 16:37 - Jul 20 by Watford_Ranger

But he's not causing a fuss. He's standing there doing nothing at all while people spit feathers like he's waving an Irish flag and shouting "fck the queen"

sorry but he is clearly disrespecting our anthem it may not mean a lot to some people but to me it does, if he wants to do that or if he wants to make a statement then go and play for shamrock rovers he won't because he is earning a sh1t load of cash, that makes him a hypocrite
If you go to Ireland they sometimes play the anthem at the end of closing time
You try and sit there looking the other way or disrespect it , in some places you won't walk out of there ,

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

James McClean. Thoughts on 16:49 - Jul 20 with 2708 viewsFDC

Wrong thread?
James McClean. Thoughts on 16:52 - Jul 20 with 2698 viewsstevec

James McClean. Thoughts on 16:19 - Jul 20 by Antti_Heinola

That's very eloquent Antti and, whilst I disagree with McClean's actions, I do understand your stance.

However, can I ask you this? If a Muslim player carried out exactly the same actions borne of similar principals, where would you stand then?
James McClean. Thoughts on 16:59 - Jul 20 with 2666 viewsWatford_Ranger

James McClean. Thoughts on 16:46 - Jul 20 by paulparker

sorry but he is clearly disrespecting our anthem it may not mean a lot to some people but to me it does, if he wants to do that or if he wants to make a statement then go and play for shamrock rovers he won't because he is earning a sh1t load of cash, that makes him a hypocrite
If you go to Ireland they sometimes play the anthem at the end of closing time
You try and sit there looking the other way or disrespect it , in some places you won't walk out of there ,

No need to apologise.

I still don't think he's disrespecting it by doing nothing at all. Literally nothing. Just standing there while the other ten players turn left for whatever reason.

He wants to play at the highest level possible. That doesn't make him a hypocrite. I'm sure a lot of English people disagree with the regimes or laws in countries all over the world and live there perfectly happily.

If that's how they'd react in Ireland then good for them. Personally I like that we live in a place where you're less likely to get your head kicked in for standing up for what you believe in in a non-violent manner.
James McClean. Thoughts on 17:04 - Jul 20 with 2651 viewsrobith

James McClean. Thoughts on 15:43 - Jul 20 by paulparker

Why ??? It's a English club playing abroad, no issue at all
The only issue is McLean trying to be controversial again
If I lived in Ireland and worked there, but disrespected the anthem and the Irish people I would be called a hypocrite and rightly so, if he has a problem with the British, our anthem, our veterans, our rememberance days then don't live here it's pretty simple

You know he's from Derry right? So has little choice but to live in the UK?
Login to get fewer ads

James McClean. Thoughts on 17:04 - Jul 20 with 2647 viewsAntti_Heinola

James McClean. Thoughts on 16:52 - Jul 20 by stevec

That's very eloquent Antti and, whilst I disagree with McClean's actions, I do understand your stance.

However, can I ask you this? If a Muslim player carried out exactly the same actions borne of similar principals, where would you stand then?

i didn't write it - that's from a Guardian email called The Fiver.

I don't understand your question, though.

Bare bones.

James McClean. Thoughts on 17:08 - Jul 20 with 2629 viewsrobith

James McClean. Thoughts on 16:52 - Jul 20 by stevec

Their right to do so, and your right to criticise. Although not really comparable as last I checked "Muslim" isn't a nationality

What I can not abide is "go back where you came from then" etc. What happened to "Je Suis Charlie?". Is freedom of expression ok when someone's doing something you like, but not when they don't?
James McClean. Thoughts on 17:11 - Jul 20 with 2618 viewsrobith

James McClean. Thoughts on 15:43 - Jul 20 by paulparker

Why ??? It's a English club playing abroad, no issue at all
The only issue is McLean trying to be controversial again
If I lived in Ireland and worked there, but disrespected the anthem and the Irish people I would be called a hypocrite and rightly so, if he has a problem with the British, our anthem, our veterans, our rememberance days then don't live here it's pretty simple

So only people who believe in your very narrow idea of the identity of a nation should live in it?
James McClean. Thoughts on 17:32 - Jul 20 with 2576 viewspaulparker

James McClean. Thoughts on 17:11 - Jul 20 by robith

So only people who believe in your very narrow idea of the identity of a nation should live in it?

i knew it wouldn't be long before you pipped up with the insults, very predictable,
I've been very clear but you obviously can't get your head around it so il say it again

If I had a problem with a country and the history of that country to the point of the national anthem even bothering me I wouldn't move there plain and simple if I did and then started creating whilst earning a fortune in that country that would make me a hypocrite
Yes or no

How this makes me narrow minded is laughable

James McClean. Thoughts on 17:34 - Jul 20 with 2569 viewspaulparker

James McClean. Thoughts on 17:04 - Jul 20 by robith

You know he's from Derry right? So has little choice but to live in the UK?

And you do know he is a republican with republican views?

James McClean. Thoughts on 17:57 - Jul 20 with 2549 viewsrobith

James McClean. Thoughts on 17:34 - Jul 20 by paulparker

And you do know he is a republican with republican views?

And the issue is deffo as simple as that

EDIT: And to date I've seen that McClean is a nationalist, not necessarily a republican (though being from Derry it's not a hard line to draw)
[Post edited 20 Jul 2015 18:04]
James McClean. Thoughts on 18:01 - Jul 20 with 2545 viewsrobith

James McClean. Thoughts on 17:32 - Jul 20 by paulparker

i knew it wouldn't be long before you pipped up with the insults, very predictable,
I've been very clear but you obviously can't get your head around it so il say it again

If I had a problem with a country and the history of that country to the point of the national anthem even bothering me I wouldn't move there plain and simple if I did and then started creating whilst earning a fortune in that country that would make me a hypocrite
Yes or no

How this makes me narrow minded is laughable

I think you're reading something that isn't there, also no idea why I'm predictable, have no memory of ever conversing with you.

Not one insult in that post.

You cited 3 things you have to accept to live in this country, so yeah I'd say that is a pretty narrow definition. Can't see the bit where I called you narrow minded.

I was born here and have a lot of issues with our national anthem. What are my options?

Or, maybe, it's possible to live in a country, like it, but have an issue with some of the institutions of that state, be critical of them, and that not be an inconsistent point of view. It's not a zero sum game
James McClean. Thoughts on 18:14 - Jul 20 with 2422 viewsWatford_Ranger

He's from Northern Ireland, the United Kingdom, and he shouldn't work or live here?
James McClean. Thoughts on 18:21 - Jul 20 with 2396 viewspaulparker

James McClean. Thoughts on 18:01 - Jul 20 by robith

I think you're reading something that isn't there, also no idea why I'm predictable, have no memory of ever conversing with you.

Not one insult in that post.

You cited 3 things you have to accept to live in this country, so yeah I'd say that is a pretty narrow definition. Can't see the bit where I called you narrow minded.

I was born here and have a lot of issues with our national anthem. What are my options?

Or, maybe, it's possible to live in a country, like it, but have an issue with some of the institutions of that state, be critical of them, and that not be an inconsistent point of view. It's not a zero sum game

I never said or cited 3 things you have to accept to live in this country
please show me where I said that

Yes have issues about the institutions in this country , blimey I moan about them everyday like everyone else does
But it's different if I moved to a country which I disapproved of , which I didn't like that country's history if they felt they oppressed the people of my town or country , if my views on that were very strong Like my beliefs I wouldn't move there full stop
Now if I did swallow my pride and move there, work & earn a fortune it would be very hypocritical of me to start silly protests over a national anthem ,
I would keep my head down earn the money and leave ASAP
McLean looks foolish and is lucky to be living in a country that lets him have freedom of expression

James McClean. Thoughts on 19:19 - Jul 20 with 2292 viewsSpiritofGregory

Send him back to Ireland.
James McClean. Thoughts on 19:21 - Jul 20 with 2289 viewsWatford_Ranger

James McClean. Thoughts on 19:19 - Jul 20 by SpiritofGregory

Send him back to Ireland.

A foreign country he's not from.
James McClean. Thoughts on 19:34 - Jul 20 with 2271 viewsWallyRanger

All this whingefest over a non issue? The guy literally did nothing and people want to slag him off. Yes you read it right, he's actually done nothing but stand there, but the whole nation wants to slag him off over a poppy he didn't wear 2 or 3 years ago now
James McClean. Thoughts on 19:45 - Jul 20 with 2234 viewswillis1980

Why give him the airtime? Lots of noise about average player in my opinion, who would struggle to make headlines otherwise imo. It's not really worth getting riled up about, he has his views and has chosen to use his opportunity to get some cheap headlines wisely.
James McClean. Thoughts on 19:56 - Jul 20 with 2205 viewsqueensparker

If he hadn't missed that stupidly easy chance to put Wigan 2-0 up in the home play-off leg, we would never had got promoted, and wouldn't have had to endure that sh*tty season. Harry would have left, we'd have built an awesome team up with a bit more time and a proper manager, Charlie would have stayed to get the job done, and we would currently be about to enter the Premier League on a high with a great centre forward.

The c--t
[Post edited 20 Jul 2015 19:57]
James McClean. Thoughts on 20:51 - Jul 20 with 2144 viewsjamois

James McClean. Thoughts on 18:21 - Jul 20 by paulparker

I never said or cited 3 things you have to accept to live in this country
please show me where I said that

Yes have issues about the institutions in this country , blimey I moan about them everyday like everyone else does
But it's different if I moved to a country which I disapproved of , which I didn't like that country's history if they felt they oppressed the people of my town or country , if my views on that were very strong Like my beliefs I wouldn't move there full stop
Now if I did swallow my pride and move there, work & earn a fortune it would be very hypocritical of me to start silly protests over a national anthem ,
I would keep my head down earn the money and leave ASAP
McLean looks foolish and is lucky to be living in a country that lets him have freedom of expression

Hola mr Parker, how's things? I just thought your freedom of expression line there was quite important. Indeed we do, and I guess it's also why he is entitled to do what he did and still earn his wedge here without recrimination. I'm sure there are other players who have equally strident views or worse, but unlike him they don't have the guts to stand behind their principles (whether those principles are right or wrong not being the point).

Poll: What's our back 4 for Wembley?

James McClean. Thoughts on 21:03 - Jul 20 with 2120 viewspaulparker

James McClean. Thoughts on 20:51 - Jul 20 by jamois

Hola mr Parker, how's things? I just thought your freedom of expression line there was quite important. Indeed we do, and I guess it's also why he is entitled to do what he did and still earn his wedge here without recrimination. I'm sure there are other players who have equally strident views or worse, but unlike him they don't have the guts to stand behind their principles (whether those principles are right or wrong not being the point).

Hello mate, all is good with you I hope
i find McLean a very nasty individual, in my mind his principles mean nothing to me when he is the biggest hypocrite going
The day we sign him is the day I give up going
Anyway good to have you back on board my friend

James McClean. Thoughts on 23:36 - Jul 20 with 2037 viewsBrianMcCarthy

James McClean. Thoughts on 14:22 - Jul 20 by Hayesender

I'd be interested to hear views from our Irish friends on this.

Over to you Brian McCarthy and Comrade Kirk

Ok - my view so:-

I agree with him on the poppy issue and wouldn't wear one myself. I'm also an Irish Republican, though not a Nationalist, which implies a support of violence which I despise. I'm also anti-monarchy, which I find ludicrous, but I wouldn't have protested like he did. I don't see it as an insult or a disgrace - in fact I think it was mild and measured - but I don't feel as strongly as McLean does, so wouldn't have protested as he did.

The question I asked myself just now is whether I'd be upset if someone did it to the Irish National Anthem, and the answer is that it wouldn't bother me in the slightest. Vive le difference.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024