Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
How much exercise do you get a week? 18:30 - Sep 15 with 15387 viewsstuabd

I just had a check up and according to that bloody BMI index I need to lose some weight. I wouldn't say I was fat and I don't have a big gut, but according to my doctor I still need to lose some weight to get the BMI down.

I was just wondering how much exercise you guys get a week.
I'm 46
I play one hour of footy every Sunday
I then practise golf for 2 hours later in the week
I also get 18 holes a week in at the weekend

I hate gyms so the only alternative is to do more walking.

I feel like I could do more but with two kids and a ball-breaker of a wife :) its hard to get the time to do stuff.

How much exercise do you get a week? on 23:11 - Sep 15 with 2326 viewsE17hoop

I agree that diet over exercise is the best way to lose weight. I've lost 4 stone since May through sensible eating and sensible exercise.

Cutting out simple carbs is the easiest way; my diet is pretty much sugar free now and has almost no potatoes and white carbs. I've had one crisp since April but still enjoy beer and wine, albeit in moderation. My daily diet is generally porridge, a protein high lunch, dried fruit in the afternoon for snacks and a sensible dinner. I do have a binge day every 5/6/7 days.

I exercise twice a week at the gym but it's low speed, high duration; 30 mins treadmill at 6.5 kmh with a 14% slope. I also do 30 mins cross trainer at level 11. I cycle the 3 miles there and back and also do a minimum 12 mile ride weekly too. Walking up stairs and escalators is a simple daily exercise - I work on the 5th floor and walk up and down the stairs to my office a couple of times a day.

I lost a ton of weight at the start which has slowed to 1lb a week now. Lost 4 ins from each of my waist and chest but most satisfying is my blood pressure has returned to normal levels.

I agree with davman, lack of time's an excuse - it's about changing habits.

It's always noisiest at the shallow end
Poll: When you go to QPR games, what do you think will happen?

How much exercise do you get a week? on 23:13 - Sep 15 with 2324 viewseghamranger

How much exercise do you get a week? on 20:58 - Sep 15 by WokingR

If it's your own, it's a bad thing
If it's someone else's then that's fantastic

I love Woking,still can't work out the original question!!!

Is that petes Palace still in Woking? Did nothing for your bmi. They called it "all u can eat".... We called it " eat as much as you possibly can". Ridiculous amounts of food 🍜
How much exercise do you get a week? on 23:56 - Sep 15 with 2301 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Personally, I think the BMI thing is over-rated. For instance, Jonny Wilkinson at the peak of his powers, was overweight according to the BMI index.

However, to the OP, if you've been told to lose weight, then the place to start isn't so much starting a fitness regime, as it is a better eating regime.

So, do avoid processed foods, with their heavy salt/sugar contents and cut down the sat-fats and go easy on booze, dairy and of course, quit smoking if you puff. Do eat a 'minimum' five fruit and veg a day, drink 2 liters of water and do have a proper breakfast to start the day. Basically, cut down the amount you eat, spread it out through the day better and eat as fresh and varied as you can. (It's not hard and if you start and stick to this, you'll benefit a lot quicker than trying to do so at a gym).

As for exercise, I am an amputee and as was referred to on here recently, I wrote a book about running marathons. I'd say at the time I had a busy/pressured life style and so when people say/write that they can't find the time to keep fit...that's complete and utter b0ll0x!

Nowadays, well alas, I never learned to swim, my legs are such that running has been retired (save an occasional 10k - I mean, if you can't run 10k with one leg in just over an hour then FFS, you have to ask yourself some questions) and all my cycling stuff remains in a crate waiting to be transported from Manila.

While I walk a lot currently, I aim to power walk minimum 25kms per week, weights at the gym two/three times a week and at home, I do a lot of stretching/yoga. When my bike and I are reunited, I will aim to get back to 200kms per week as well.

Now, if I didn't do the above, then I'd be a reet fat fooker!

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

How much exercise do you get a week? on 00:53 - Sep 16 with 2277 viewsSydneyRs

I'm fortunate to have a low cost gym in our building at work which makes fitting it in a bit easier as with family at home there is not a lot of spare time. I try to do a couple of decent runs (8ish km with quite a few stairs and hills) a week and play football at least one lunchtime - there are games every Tuesday and Thursday for anyone who wants to have a kick. Usually go into the gym after each of these and do a bit more cardio plus some weights.

My office is located right by Sydney harbour so when I run at lunchtime it includes running across the harbour bridge and back, it doesn't get much better (if you ignore the stairs).

Generally I eat pretty well during the week and am a bit of a slob at weekends. I see the exercise as allowing me to pig out a bit on Saturday and Sunday.
How much exercise do you get a week? on 05:45 - Sep 16 with 2239 viewsstuabd

Great advice as usual on the board. Thanks a lot.

I manage to eat pretty healthily until about 6pm. If I can stop the 'I haven't eaten all day so it's time to pig out' urges then I should be ok. I'm just waiting for some research to show that eating Wotsits is actually really good for you. A Wotsit diet would work for me nicely.
How much exercise do you get a week? on 06:33 - Sep 16 with 2224 viewsoldmeadoniansR

How much exercise do you get a week? on 05:45 - Sep 16 by stuabd

Great advice as usual on the board. Thanks a lot.

I manage to eat pretty healthily until about 6pm. If I can stop the 'I haven't eaten all day so it's time to pig out' urges then I should be ok. I'm just waiting for some research to show that eating Wotsits is actually really good for you. A Wotsit diet would work for me nicely.

It's been proven that wotsits are 99.8% air so that's ok. Also if you eat enough you don't have to shell out on fake tan. Happy days
How much exercise do you get a week? on 07:31 - Sep 16 with 2195 viewsJAPRANGERS

Boxing, running and sex everyday.

I'm older now than I used to be when I was younger but I've been told I'm as thin as a rake but I haven't seen many rakes lately init??
How much exercise do you get a week? on 07:57 - Sep 16 with 2176 viewsexiled_dictator

my new years resolution was to lose serious weight.
on 1 january, i started walking early in the morning.
16 september, and i have only missed 2 days.
lost 31 kg so far, but still a way to go.
being the chef in the restaurant is not a healthy option for me either, so i have to be careful of tasting quantities.
but being social within a large extended family means life revolves around the table and food, and there is always one or twelve who say that i don't eat enough.
i have noticed my stamina has improved, i feel less tired at the end of a shift where you can stand up for 10 straight hours in a hot environment. i also find that i can physically breathe more easily; more deeper breaths. probably because i have cleaned my lungs out, and less fat and pressure on the heart.
still a way to go, motivation for me was never a problem. i say i will do something, and i do it. getting up 1 hour earlier to walk in the quiet empty london streets is wonderful for the soul, and i have some great pictures of early morning london.
i have no plans to swim, jog or go to the gym. but i shall carry on walking till i feel i am at an acceptable weight, then carry on.
it's mind over matter, and when your doctor says that if you continue to live the way you do and you won't last a decade, it's time to do something.
we eat too much of the wrong foods, and don't exercise enough. ironic given that machines were supposed to free up time for us to live a better life.
chrav chalash, anyone?

It's not what you've got; it's where you stick it.
Poll: Climate Change

Login to get fewer ads

How much exercise do you get a week? on 07:58 - Sep 16 with 2175 viewslondonscottish

I think Planet Holywood amd Exciled Dictator have given the best all round answers so far.

Anyway, to and give my version (and repeat what PH, ED and others have said) I am 51 and probably about 20lb over my fighting weight (I was 12.5 stone in my 20's).

The weight has gradually crept on over the years and I'm getting to the point where I'm getting subtle but firm hints from the medics that I certainly shouldn't let the weight increase and should ideally shift a load - otherwise off I head towards the usual range of middle-aged fat-related ailments many of which are seriously dangerous.

I keep reasonably fit through a combo of regularly cycling to work (20 mile round trip), running (3 miles ish) and swimming (20 lengths). However that doesn't help me shift weight it just stops me putting it on (and it gives me some muscle tone and a very good resting heart/blood pressure combo).

To lose it I can either dramatically increase the exercise, reduce intake of both For example if I run 3 x 5 miles a week I start losing it. Or if I cycle in three times, have two lunch time runs and a long run at the weekend I'll start losing a pound a week. But I genuinely struggle to do all of that what with family and work commitments.

So I'm trying to combine that with knocking carbs on the head where I can. Again if I avoid bread, potatoes, white rice, pasta and various sugary, fatty snacks AND stay off the booze three days of the week I can shift a few lbs. But that can be hard as I had to do a works thing last night and am off to LR tonight.

Anyway I know what I need to to to head off the danger; eat a bit less and move around a bit more. If nothing else it make me feel much better and stops me getting fatter. Hopefully it reverses the weight gain and gives me back a few more healthy years.
[Post edited 16 Sep 2015 8:00]

Poll: Do you love or hate the new Marmite ad?

How much exercise do you get a week? on 08:00 - Sep 16 with 2172 viewsbarabajagal

Beer... What is it? 300 cal per pint? Four pints a night is half ones daily cal intake. So, like beer? Better not like chips and better run five miles a day...

I love beer...

I better dig the trainers out...
How much exercise do you get a week? on 08:11 - Sep 16 with 2153 viewsLblock

How much exercise do you get a week? on 07:31 - Sep 16 by JAPRANGERS

Boxing, running and sex everyday.

I'm older now than I used to be when I was younger but I've been told I'm as thin as a rake but I haven't seen many rakes lately init??

"Boxing, running and sex everyday"

Sounds like a serial rapist.

I'm a prolapsed disc sufferer and I've really found that keeping even a nit moderately "fit" helps no end.
I lost almost 2 stone due to a major complication over a year ago and that was due to a complete diet change with no exercise whatsoever. I decided then to join a gym near to my office purely for the use of the pool and sauna plus started pilates locally.
My diet reverted back to ways of old but the bit of moderate fitness allowed me to only slip to a certain level. Unfortunately due to a combination of gym refurbishment, me being moved onto another contract which means I'm not near the gym and the return of the football season means I'm putting weight on and my back is playing me up again!!!

So I've decided to re-focus and I'm back at pilates 10am today and not drinking at the R's tonight!!!

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

How much exercise do you get a week? on 08:35 - Sep 16 with 2137 viewsblacky200

BMI has proven to be only a very general guide. If you have decent toned muscle you will weigh more as muscle is heavier than fat. The best guide is take a piece of string and use it to measure your height. Fold it in half and then see if it goes round the largest part of your waist (the biggest part is usually around the belly button). If you can do that then you are OK.
A good thing to do is a 15 minute flat out exercise. I bought a cross trainer which is small and easily used in the home. 15 minutes allows the body to get through the first stage where muscles use stored energy, the second stage the body starts to burn fat. After about 15 minutes the body starts to use protein (muscle) as fuel. 15 minutes of intense exercise goes through stage 1 and 2 but you stop before getting to stage 3.
Forgot to add maximum heart rate. You can work it out by subtracting your age from 220, then multiply the result by the heart-rate percentage you want to achieve. So, for a 46 year old wanting to work at 70% of your maximum heart rate, it would look like this: (220-46) x 0.70 = 122 beats per minute.
[Post edited 16 Sep 2015 8:46]
How much exercise do you get a week? on 08:59 - Sep 16 with 2113 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Running when not injured about once every two weeks (5K) and I cycle 2-3-4 times a week.

(and the odd guest appearence in goal)

I still drink lots and smoke. (gonna get rid of the latter)

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

How much exercise do you get a week? on 09:02 - Sep 16 with 2109 viewsMonahoop

Walking the dog and gardening for me. This time of year I have a lot of hedges to cut. You don't realise what a real sweat you can build up cutting a few decent sized hedges and getting up and down ladders. Also have a fairly big lawn on a slope so mowing it provides a good enough work out. No ride on contraptions for me, they're for lazy buggers. It often beggars belief seeing folk with a ride on mower cutting a postage stamp size of a lawn and more often than not they are fat!
I used to swim a bit, but got fed up with getting wet and trundling backwards and forwards like a demented goldfish or trying to avoid wannabe Olympic type swimmers.
I've no inclination to go running. Runners, there are two in my wife's family, may think they're fit, but to me they always look ill. I stand by my old mans motto, 'Why run when you can walk'.

There aint half been some clever bastards.

How much exercise do you get a week? on 09:13 - Sep 16 with 2096 viewsCiderwithRsie

How much exercise do you get a week? on 23:56 - Sep 15 by PlanetHonneywood

Personally, I think the BMI thing is over-rated. For instance, Jonny Wilkinson at the peak of his powers, was overweight according to the BMI index.

However, to the OP, if you've been told to lose weight, then the place to start isn't so much starting a fitness regime, as it is a better eating regime.

So, do avoid processed foods, with their heavy salt/sugar contents and cut down the sat-fats and go easy on booze, dairy and of course, quit smoking if you puff. Do eat a 'minimum' five fruit and veg a day, drink 2 liters of water and do have a proper breakfast to start the day. Basically, cut down the amount you eat, spread it out through the day better and eat as fresh and varied as you can. (It's not hard and if you start and stick to this, you'll benefit a lot quicker than trying to do so at a gym).

As for exercise, I am an amputee and as was referred to on here recently, I wrote a book about running marathons. I'd say at the time I had a busy/pressured life style and so when people say/write that they can't find the time to keep fit...that's complete and utter b0ll0x!

Nowadays, well alas, I never learned to swim, my legs are such that running has been retired (save an occasional 10k - I mean, if you can't run 10k with one leg in just over an hour then FFS, you have to ask yourself some questions) and all my cycling stuff remains in a crate waiting to be transported from Manila.

While I walk a lot currently, I aim to power walk minimum 25kms per week, weights at the gym two/three times a week and at home, I do a lot of stretching/yoga. When my bike and I are reunited, I will aim to get back to 200kms per week as well.

Now, if I didn't do the above, then I'd be a reet fat fooker!

I am an amputee

Bit drastic as a way of losing weight if you ask me.
How much exercise do you get a week? on 09:23 - Sep 16 with 2034 viewsloftboy

Forgot to add that for the first 6 months I was as strict I have ever been with my diet, I went from 8 slices of bread a day that 4 ryvitas, didn't touch chocolate or crisps, ate loads of fresh fruit, used to have 3 sugars in my drinks now we canderel and put no sweetener whatsoever on my cereal, it actually tastes better once you've had a couple of bowls, I am 48 and have never been fitter. The diet combined with exercise was the best option for me, I was a 52" waist and am now a 38", the biggest buzz I got was no longer buying my clothes in jacamo and such like but being able to go into any high street shop and buy what I wanted. I'm not as strict now and go to the pub a couple of times a week something I wouldn't have done before due tomorrow being embarrassed about how I looked.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

How much exercise do you get a week? on 09:31 - Sep 16 with 2023 viewsgordanoR

I'm 41.

I walk 20 minutes a day, do weights twice a week for an hour each time & have 3 young kids to keep me active the rest of the time. I drink a fair bit, a few beers most evenings but not enough to get p***ed.

I've just stopped smoking & gone over to one of those sports fags/vaping & it's great.
How much exercise do you get a week? on 10:52 - Sep 16 with 1989 viewscaptainmycaptian

How much exercise do you get a week? on 19:34 - Sep 15 by essextaxiboy

None .

Just bought a suit for a wedding on Sat and had to buy 38 waist trousers ... Gutted . My job is not great for health and eating on the road often means sh*t. .

Had a run in with a group of lads yesterday , thinking about taking up some sort of fitness/fight class /boxing/ martial art type class to keep fit and give me a bit more confidence . It was something and nothing but TBH shook me up a bit

Dont want to be an old git on the tube on my own after a game and feel vulnerable .

Try Krav maga it Israely self defence pretty easy to get the basics of and practical ie not to much form just stuff that works and a bit of fitness to boot
How much exercise do you get a week? on 11:34 - Sep 16 with 1965 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Injured at the moment and need to have a knee op when time allows, so reduced to walking and upper-body gym work.

Usual routine is three short gym sessions a week, five-a-side once a week and forty minutes walking five days a week. I usually do the pre-season cardio sessions with our Gaelic Football team - two months that sets me up for a while. I'm 45 now and I'm happy with that. Diet is usually very good so when I'm not injured that amount of exercise still allows a handy intake of beer and the odd take-away without the weight being affected.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

How much exercise do you get a week? on 11:41 - Sep 16 with 1952 viewsbatmanhoop

some excellent info and tips, basically we all agree, less grub and more exercise. That's the hard bit
How much exercise do you get a week? on 12:04 - Sep 16 with 1933 viewsTonto

You could consider Parkrun

Its a 5k run (or walk) at 9am on a Saturday morning. Its as competitive as you want it to be. At my one, the winner does it in 18 minutes, others do it in 45 mins. But it is also quite social. Plenty of encouragement, and folk stay and chat afterwards.

Its free to enter (download a barcode and take it with you, and volunteer to do the marshaling a couple of times a year). Go on www.parkrun.org to find you local one and download the code

Why stop now, just when I'm hating it
Poll: Is it essential that QPR stay in the Borough of H&F?

How much exercise do you get a week? on 12:14 - Sep 16 with 1914 viewsPinnerPaul

Gardening, walk for 30 - 45 mins every lunchtime at work.

Couple of leisurely bike rides a week, plus I'm a referee so 1or 2 games a week during season in the middle or on the line

Currently back is knackered!
How much exercise do you get a week? on 12:20 - Sep 16 with 1905 viewsDorse

How much exercise do you get a week? on 10:52 - Sep 16 by captainmycaptian

Try Krav maga it Israely self defence pretty easy to get the basics of and practical ie not to much form just stuff that works and a bit of fitness to boot

Krav Maga is absolutely insane! Every move seems to end in a punch to the throat and a kick in the knackers!

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

How much exercise do you get a week? on 12:49 - Sep 16 with 1871 viewspaulparker

i do fcuk all

used to run 12k a week and didnt eat bread, lived a very healthy life for a good 2 years and lost around 3 stone
now im in the pub most weekends and ive put on 2 stone , not good, ive popped 2 buttons on my strides and i feel like im gonna split them at any moment
also because of work i have to stay in hotels for the next 3 months 5 days a week , its a killer as all i have to do in the evening is eat & drink
im doomed

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

How much exercise do you get a week? on 12:56 - Sep 16 with 1870 viewsLewes_r

I'm 43..I run a ridiculous amount 70+ miles a week and race a lot.. I wouldn't even say I'm that skinny.. just thinnish . don't really drink.. I think its down to diet tbh

Cut down on the carbs and sugar and you won't need to kill yourself with exercise more than a few times a week
[Post edited 16 Sep 2015 12:56]

Poll: Who do we want down with us and Burnley?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024