Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Did we get something for nothing? 09:58 - Oct 27 with 7993 viewspomanjou

Slowly but surely the team is coming together even when the form of some players is spluttering (Phillips, goal aside, for example). We are mid table and poised to move up (am I tempting fate on Friday?).

However the most significant thing for me was the injury to Charles Austin. His value is counting down to at about a million a month and even if we can sell in the January window its going to be for £5m or less methinks.

On the other hand we acquired JET for nowt. In my view he is playing better than Charlie had done prior to his injury. He won so many headers and directed then onwards against an admittedly weakfish MKDons it was repetitious. His value is going up and may well be more than £5m by xmas. By the end of the season he could be worth £10m and Charlie worth nowt (assuming he is still with us at that time).

Maybe a bit pie in the sky, but it is possible, innit?

Currently residing in Pinner, Centre of the Universe.
Poll: we have a timetable for Brexit, should there be a referendum for the English

Did we get something for nothing? on 10:00 - Oct 27 with 6315 viewsJigsore

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11711/10045189/charlie-austin-will-stay-w

“The thing about football - the important thing about football - is that it is not just about football.”

Did we get something for nothing? on 10:19 - Oct 27 with 6255 viewsToast_R

I think the Austin staying argument was based around the assumption that his goals would help us to promotion so the 15M transfer fee would be a pittance compared to the prize.

The question now is, are we good enough to make a serious promotion challenge?
Remember top 6 is the minimum and you’d have to say blips aside, QPR will be knocking on the door. Selling Austin in January would put that in serious jeopardy. JET’s been playing well but he’s far from proving a ready made replacement if Austin did go.

According to the article above, it would appear Austin has made his mind up that he’ll go in the summer so really the decision is now with the board if an offer came their way in in January. QPR will have the upper hand re: negotiating a fee if the offer is from say Newcastle or Blunderland, Villa, who are desperate and panic buying to save their Premier League statuses (Bit like QPR were in January 2013).

10m you say? Player is happy to stay, we could do with him as we hope to make the playoffs, make it worth our while… Villa have made a similar bid etc.

Of course, he’ll probably go to for half that and Ranger’s will get a pony and a couple of tortoises in return.
Did we get something for nothing? on 10:29 - Oct 27 with 6227 viewsBrightonhoop

Sound assessment generally Pom, JET couldn't get a game in the lower leagues last season, so credit to CR and Sir Les for bringing him on.

It's hard to comprehend the reported toxic atmosphere at HQ when most accepted post relegation we needed to avoid another relegation and enter a period of rebuilding, when that seems to be happening. Cant understand the agg after 4 points from the last two with the vitally necessary clean sheets in both games.

If Austin is fit for Friday and we play Jet and Austin upfront, with Austin being replaced after 60 mins, we will have to go at them from the off with an aim of not conceding and perhaps 1 or 2 up by the hour mark then park the bus. Brentfart are going to be more of a test to the back four than MK Dons were, so we shall see. A steady back four, strong mid field and JET and Austin up front have the components of a devastatingly good team, but after relegation it cannot be rebuilt overnight. Expectations are way too high despite our squad.
Did we get something for nothing? on 10:51 - Oct 27 with 6180 viewsSomersetHoops

I rate Charlie Austin quite highly, but I think it would have been better if he and Phillips had moved on. The way it was handled by the club ensured that didn't happen and meant we didn't get the targeted replacements. If we had we would have a better idea of how good our current set-up is at finding decent players. In my opinion it was stupid to indicate that a club in our position was in a strong position to set prices on these players. It may have been possible to achieve close to those values, but the values set meant realistic negotiations didn't really start. The result is that they will leave the club for nothing in the summer and more money will need to be found for their replacements.

When it looks like Austin will be out for a large part of this season and Phillips can't consistently deliver good performances it makes the handling of that situation even more stupid and the expectation that they alone enhance our chances of promotion equally stupid. I fear that these stupidities have all the hallmarks of Tony Fernandes about them and I wish he would let the club run without his public interventions. I hoped the new CEO appointment meant that is now the plan, but his recent comments suggest otherwise

Who's Next?

Did we get something for nothing? on 11:07 - Oct 27 with 6145 viewsJordanFoster

Did we get something for nothing? on 10:29 - Oct 27 by Brightonhoop

Sound assessment generally Pom, JET couldn't get a game in the lower leagues last season, so credit to CR and Sir Les for bringing him on.

It's hard to comprehend the reported toxic atmosphere at HQ when most accepted post relegation we needed to avoid another relegation and enter a period of rebuilding, when that seems to be happening. Cant understand the agg after 4 points from the last two with the vitally necessary clean sheets in both games.

If Austin is fit for Friday and we play Jet and Austin upfront, with Austin being replaced after 60 mins, we will have to go at them from the off with an aim of not conceding and perhaps 1 or 2 up by the hour mark then park the bus. Brentfart are going to be more of a test to the back four than MK Dons were, so we shall see. A steady back four, strong mid field and JET and Austin up front have the components of a devastatingly good team, but after relegation it cannot be rebuilt overnight. Expectations are way too high despite our squad.

If we go 4-4-2 at Brentford we will get slaughtered. There is no way on earth we will line up 4-4-2.
Did we get something for nothing? on 09:53 - Oct 28 with 5925 viewspomanjou

"Expectations are way too high despite our squad". So true Brighton.

So many expect the opposition to roll over/capitulate as if we have a divine right to win whereas most clubs are likely to be inspired to beat the mighty rangers and bring us down a peg or two.

Far too many of our so called supporters are just looking to find fault rather than focusing on flashes of absolute brilliance Like JET's goal, the stunning pass that set up Matt Phillips goal which he took with aplomb and Hoilett's cheeky one.

In my view all of our players are putting in a shift in their own particular ways although some look as if they are and others have a more languid style (Fer for example).

Roll on Friday. It will not be easy but I am hopeful of a point or three. If we lose it is not the end of the world as we know, it even if some will think so.

And yes, I think we did get something for nothing who is benefitting from the coaching he is now getting.

Currently residing in Pinner, Centre of the Universe.
Poll: we have a timetable for Brexit, should there be a referendum for the English

Did we get something for nothing? on 10:08 - Oct 28 with 5893 viewsNorthernr

On the Austin thing, I think you've got to find a way to play both. Austin has got a lot better at the lone striker thing, the hold up and lay game, but JET's touch and physical presence make him a natural at it. Well done CR for spotting that potential. Austin feeding off him with his finishing ability would be quite something at this level.

But, as said, there's no way we can play 442. We just don't have the central midfielders for it - Sandro, Faurlin and Tozser can't run. It's why Henry is getting picked as often as he is.
Did we get something for nothing? on 10:13 - Oct 28 with 5878 viewsCamberleyR

3-5-2?

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Login to get fewer ads

Did we get something for nothing? on 10:22 - Oct 28 with 5857 viewsNorthernr

Did we get something for nothing? on 10:13 - Oct 28 by CamberleyR

3-5-2?

Well it's a better suggestion than 4-4-2. But does it play to the strengths of Chery and Luongo? Does it mean we have to use Sandro and Faurlin more often and for longer than they're physically capable of? Does it mean disrupting the back four just as it's started to keep clean sheets?

Having met CR over the summer and asked him what his favoured formation is he said 433 every time, and we're not playing that ATM which suggests he doesn't think we have the players for it. 4-2-3-1 suits our players because we have an over supply of players for the hole and an undersupply of central midfielders who can get up and down the pitch.
Did we get something for nothing? on 10:22 - Oct 28 with 5857 viewsJordanFoster

I can't see him changing the formation, even when it doesn't really suit Austin's game and certain other players, CR sticks with it so he can play his 'type of football'.

Also, 4-2-3-1 allows the two deeper midfielders to act as a shield for Hall and Hill who both really lack pace.
Did we get something for nothing? on 10:32 - Oct 28 with 5832 viewsdaveB

Did we get something for nothing? on 10:08 - Oct 28 by Northernr

On the Austin thing, I think you've got to find a way to play both. Austin has got a lot better at the lone striker thing, the hold up and lay game, but JET's touch and physical presence make him a natural at it. Well done CR for spotting that potential. Austin feeding off him with his finishing ability would be quite something at this level.

But, as said, there's no way we can play 442. We just don't have the central midfielders for it - Sandro, Faurlin and Tozser can't run. It's why Henry is getting picked as often as he is.

We could play a diamond midfield of Sandro, Fer, Luongo and Chery but that would rely heavily on Sandro protecting the back four. Other option would be play JET on the left of the current system when we don't have the ball and push him inside when we do have it similar to how Chery is playing
Did we get something for nothing? on 10:34 - Oct 28 with 5825 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Did we get something for nothing? on 10:22 - Oct 28 by Northernr

Well it's a better suggestion than 4-4-2. But does it play to the strengths of Chery and Luongo? Does it mean we have to use Sandro and Faurlin more often and for longer than they're physically capable of? Does it mean disrupting the back four just as it's started to keep clean sheets?

Having met CR over the summer and asked him what his favoured formation is he said 433 every time, and we're not playing that ATM which suggests he doesn't think we have the players for it. 4-2-3-1 suits our players because we have an over supply of players for the hole and an undersupply of central midfielders who can get up and down the pitch.

If only Diakite wasn't a rabid man killer he'd fill that hole perfectly.
Did we get something for nothing? on 10:40 - Oct 28 with 5809 viewsadhoc_qpr

"Sound assessment generally Pom, JET couldn't get a game in the lower leagues last season, so credit to CR and Sir Les for bringing him on."

Not sure where this myth about JET has come from?

JET played 48 games for Bristol City last season and scored 12 goals in a promotion winning team.

Having JET and Austin will definitely give us more flexibility and i think they could form a lethal duo upfront - let's hope they both get/stay fit and Ramsey has a chance to see what they can do!
Did we get something for nothing? on 10:42 - Oct 28 with 5796 viewsPhilmyRs

I think at home there’s an argument to get them both on the pitch together and close to each other, perhaps JET in the hole behind Austin but as has been said, we’ve got quite a few guys capable of playing that role so makes it tricky. Forest and Blackburn at home I felt Austin looked isolated and as a result frustrated playing on his own. Given how teams approach us with a defensive mindset getting JET close to him should definitely be considered.

Phillips impressive 2 month run at the end of last season has arguably given him longer in the side this season than his performances warrant. With Austin coming back from injury and the form of the other players, if I was Phillips I’d be worried.
Did we get something for nothing? on 10:46 - Oct 28 with 5778 viewsdaveB

Did we get something for nothing? on 10:40 - Oct 28 by adhoc_qpr

"Sound assessment generally Pom, JET couldn't get a game in the lower leagues last season, so credit to CR and Sir Les for bringing him on."

JET played 48 games for Bristol City last season and scored 12 goals in a promotion winning team.

Having JET and Austin will definitely give us more flexibility and i think they could form a lethal duo upfront - let's hope they both get/stay fit and Ramsey has a chance to see what they can do!

most of those were as a sub last season
Did we get something for nothing? on 10:48 - Oct 28 with 5777 viewsJordanFoster

To be fair, he was also semi-close to joining Burton Albion, so it's not too far from the truth. He was also released so although he played in a promoted team, he wasn't the main man by any means.

I don't think Austin and JET would work up front together, I think they are too similar. Both have similar playing styles and neither play on the shoulder of the last defender. I just can't see it working. Added to the fact the lack of legs and compensation for a really slow spine, be amazed if CR changed it...

All that being said, I if he does I would love to see it work.
Did we get something for nothing? on 10:48 - Oct 28 with 5771 viewsDiscodroids

Did we get something for nothing? on 10:13 - Oct 28 by CamberleyR

3-5-2?

Its something ive been thinking for a while Camberley, given the deadzone options we have at full back with The black Napoleon Dynamite and Peter Graves from mission impossible, not to mention The Pimpernel Yun. Ned simply does not have the tools to play full back with any degree of competence.

I Admit its highly unlikely under this paint it by numbers novice manager , but one i would consider, if this giddy run of two clean sheets and 4 pts is to end in a potting shed humiliation on friday.

"...The monkey is never dead, Dealer. The monkey never dies. When you kick him off, he just hides in a corner, waiting his turn."

Did we get something for nothing? on 10:48 - Oct 28 with 5774 viewsNorthernr

JET made 10 starts in the league for Bristol City last season out of 46 league games. He made another 10 starts in the league cup, FA cup and league trophy. He made a further 28 substitute appearances in all competitions.

10 starts in the league is definitely struggling to get in the team.

This post has been edited by an administrator
Did we get something for nothing? on 11:20 - Oct 28 with 5678 viewsadhoc_qpr

Did we get something for nothing? on 10:48 - Oct 28 by Northernr

JET made 10 starts in the league for Bristol City last season out of 46 league games. He made another 10 starts in the league cup, FA cup and league trophy. He made a further 28 substitute appearances in all competitions.

10 starts in the league is definitely struggling to get in the team.

This post has been edited by an administrator

He wasn't first choice but he wasn't rotting in the reserves SWP style either - playing some part in almost every league game made him a useful squad member.

The fact he's stepped up so well and we don't have to rush a half-fit Austin straight back into the line up is a good news - especially with Mackie injured and Poulter not fancied.
Did we get something for nothing? on 11:30 - Oct 28 with 5653 viewsBrightonhoop

3-5-2 could potentially work. Not good that we cannot risk a 442 against Brentfart, they're not Real effing Madrid....

IF CR was under less pressure in the weeks ahead I'd really like to see him play JET and Austin up front. They would be too much for many defences to handle.

Alot of JET's games for Brizzle were 15 min subs, he was struggling to get regular games for 90 mins, so credit to CR and Sir Les for polishing him into what he has become.
Did we get something for nothing? on 11:47 - Oct 28 with 5601 viewsdaveB

impossible to play 4-4-2 when you have no left winger and 3 players who all want to play behind the strikers, leaves you hopelessly exposed.
Did we get something for nothing? on 11:50 - Oct 28 with 5597 viewsNW5Hoop

We won't play two upfront. It would be suicidal with our uniformly slow centre midfield choices.
Did we get something for nothing? on 11:51 - Oct 28 with 5595 viewsMedwayR

Throughout the season I feel we've been rescued on several occasions by our better players doing something of real quality, a luxury that other teams don't have, but I don't think we've really played as a team - perhaps Ramsey is right and we are still gelling as a team! However, the 2 clean sheets are a massive step in the right direction and perhaps we are starting to settle as a team helped by the return of Sandro & Fer, changing the formation to fit in JET & Austin would disrupt things and take us back to square one, no doubt losing Ramsey his job at the same time. 4-2-3-1 suits our squad better than any other formation and there will be times during the season when JET or Austin will be unavailable so what would we do then, switch back to one up front? JET & Austin can compete for that role as the lone striker, competition is healthy and competition with Austin is something I didn't think we'd have. Austin will need to be brought back in slowly by which time JET may have stopped performing, be injured or fatigued etc and there will be games where Austin/JET may need to be subbed. I share the temptation to get them both up front but I think we should keep the formation as it is and let JET & Austin share the workload.

Poll: Who’s better?

Did we get something for nothing? on 12:09 - Oct 28 with 5551 viewsrichpr

Did we get something for nothing? on 11:30 - Oct 28 by Brightonhoop

3-5-2 could potentially work. Not good that we cannot risk a 442 against Brentfart, they're not Real effing Madrid....

IF CR was under less pressure in the weeks ahead I'd really like to see him play JET and Austin up front. They would be too much for many defences to handle.

Alot of JET's games for Brizzle were 15 min subs, he was struggling to get regular games for 90 mins, so credit to CR and Sir Les for polishing him into what he has become.

JET has played a couple of decent games at home against very average sides. Come on, he is not a great player but he fits the QPR mould - talented but sluggish. Polished is not a term I think he will ever be attributed with. If he plays well at Brentford or against some decent teams then I am happy to have my mind changed.
Saw Bristol play Cardiff the other night and they looked a decent side so not a surprise he couldn't get in the starting XI
Did we get something for nothing? on 12:23 - Oct 28 with 5510 viewswhittocksRs

Did we get something for nothing? on 10:51 - Oct 27 by SomersetHoops

I rate Charlie Austin quite highly, but I think it would have been better if he and Phillips had moved on. The way it was handled by the club ensured that didn't happen and meant we didn't get the targeted replacements. If we had we would have a better idea of how good our current set-up is at finding decent players. In my opinion it was stupid to indicate that a club in our position was in a strong position to set prices on these players. It may have been possible to achieve close to those values, but the values set meant realistic negotiations didn't really start. The result is that they will leave the club for nothing in the summer and more money will need to be found for their replacements.

When it looks like Austin will be out for a large part of this season and Phillips can't consistently deliver good performances it makes the handling of that situation even more stupid and the expectation that they alone enhance our chances of promotion equally stupid. I fear that these stupidities have all the hallmarks of Tony Fernandes about them and I wish he would let the club run without his public interventions. I hoped the new CEO appointment meant that is now the plan, but his recent comments suggest otherwise

Think this post is completely lacking context, and though Fernandes is definitely a goon, he was right in the way he and Ferdinand went about the business over Austin and Phillips.

Firstly, this was a transfer window where Newcastle paid £15m for an unproven Serbian forward, West Brom (who seemed to suggest Austin was overpriced) paid around the same for Rondon (average at best), Man City paid £12m for Patrick Roberts, Liverpool paid £32m for Benteke, Palace paid £7m for Conor Wickham, Spurs paid £8.5m for Clinton N'Jie ('who', I hear you ask), and £22m for Son Heung-min and United paid £36m for a 19-year-old.

Given that we picked up nearly £10m from the Sterling deal, we were not desperately under pressure to sell either player, neither of whom are top club earners, under the going market rate. Their valuations were absolutely in line with the market.

That clubs tried to bully us into basically giving them away and we did not bend over actually shows a rare occasion of long-term thinking at QPR, and sent out the signal to agents and managers that we are a different market entity now.

If they leave the club at the end of the season for nowt, I will be happy having seen another season of my favourite club striker since Sir Les and an exciting winger who, while inconsistent, scores great goals like the one of Saturday and is actually a reason to pay money and watch QPR. They'll help us get higher up the table, for sure, and seeing as Fernandes now wants promotion, we need the best possible squad to do that without spending any more cash.

Plus, Austin is back on Friday and Phillips is improving under Ramsey.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024