Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Best thing Clive has ever written 13:21 - Nov 5 with 6585 viewsPinnerPaul

OK, I exaggerate - play off final match report was brilliant but this IS spot on

QPR are a midtable Championship side. They beat the teams at the bottom, they lose to the teams at the top, and they draw with the ones in the middle with them. Sack Ramsey if you think it’s his fault that this is only a midtable side, but don’t expect it to change. QPR are not one recalled midfielder from Swindon or one youth team right back or one less Karl Henry or one more Yun Suk Young or a change in formation away from turning this all around — there’s in fact nothing to turn around, this team is what it is. The effort levels are there, there have been no capitulations which are usually the hallmark of a team throwing its manager under the bus, so any new manager coming in will struggle to get that extra 10% that usually sparks a ‘new manager bounce’. Chris Ramsey isn’t holding this all back massively, because there isn’t anything to hold back
Best thing Clive has ever written on 15:42 - Nov 5 with 1780 viewsEastR

Is Chris Ramsey the reason behind the malaise this club is in? On his own, of course not.

We clearly have some fundamental structural issues that need addressing. Who’s making the decisions: Fernandes? Gnanalingham? The other money? Or a combination?

The investment in QPR has never been about the club, it’s a property deal.
At what point will the gamble on Old Oak become unviable? We must be getting close to that with at least £.25 Billion already down the pan.
Would a couple more seasons of see-sawing back and forth get the investment back on track and make their continued involvement worthwhile? A huge gamble on top of what’s already been a monumental f-up.

Not selling 3 or 4 players in August didn’t suddenly change the ambition. £20m is a fraction of the overarching debt. The ambition is ‘make the deal work — we need a team in the PL to make it pay’
With Ramsey they went for the cheap option, not having to ply another high profile option with a war chest for another squad overhaul, sending a message to the powers that be to save themselves further exposure on FFP and to appear like they were doing the right thing.
This has Fernandes finger prints all over it based on the Caterham profile and the current tribulations at Air Asia — but he’s not acting on his own. For what it’s worth, and demonstrated by the relative write off of previous loans, the Mittals are likely to be taking a back seat, unwilling to get further exposed on the deal.

But back to CR.
In the past two weeks, two players (Hill and Yun) inexplicably side-lined when free from injury and available, returned to turn in MOTM performances. That and many other dubious decisions were enough for CR to help himself towards the exit, and give the decision makers (not Hoos and not Ferdinand) the option to roll the dice again.
Personally today I don’t feel sorry for Ramsey; he’s been around football long enough that he should have known what he was getting into.

But I do worry for our club.

Poll: Is time up for Ainsworth?

Best thing Clive has ever written on 16:14 - Nov 5 with 1725 viewsjohnhoop

Best thing Clive has ever written on 15:07 - Nov 5 by DeepcutHoop

That's possibly the stupidest thing I've read on here.

Congratulations.

Don't mention it. Just continue the witch-hunt of anybody who doesn't happen to think that Ramsey was a good manager.
Best thing Clive has ever written on 16:23 - Nov 5 with 1705 viewsDeepcutHoop

Best thing Clive has ever written on 16:14 - Nov 5 by johnhoop

Don't mention it. Just continue the witch-hunt of anybody who doesn't happen to think that Ramsey was a good manager.

Best thing Clive has ever written on 16:26 - Nov 5 with 1690 viewsdenhamhoop2

As usual Clive is spot on we are a Mid table team and probably 3 to 4 players away from challenging this season.With a slightly more tactically aware Manager may see us push up towards the playoffs but no more .The problems though begin and end with the man at the top whose reign in spite of 2 promotions has been nothing short of catastrophic in terms of the long term structure and future of the club.I think there are similarities with Leeds and Villa in that whoever is Manager won't make up for the clubs shortcomings Cannot really see any bright young manager wanting this current poisoned chalice
Best thing Clive has ever written on 18:41 - Nov 5 with 1588 viewsstuabd

As has been said we will have to wait and see how the results go, but I personally think that our league position in 4 months time will be considerably healthier than the one we would have been in had Ramsey stayed on.

I think the players are generally an honest bunch and tried to the end for Ramsey. A more experienced manager has got something to work with.
Best thing Clive has ever written on 19:10 - Nov 5 with 1525 viewsHoop_Du_Jour

Best thing Clive has ever written on 14:03 - Nov 5 by Northernr

Well it was written before he was sacked so I'm not sure how it's sour grapes.

Come back to me in 18 months if I'm wrong. I suspect we'll not be far away from where we are now and probably another two managers down.

Nothing against your summation, more how the venerable and much respected PinnerPaul has brought it to the fore after Ramsey was sacked as if it were some saintly portent of things to come.

One right back and we're right back in it.
Best thing Clive has ever written on 19:45 - Nov 5 with 1466 viewsMatch82

Best thing Clive has ever written on 15:26 - Nov 5 by Benny_the_Ball

Disagree. Of the 3 relegated teams, Hull and Burnley are 1st and 2nd whilst QPR are languishing in 13th and heading south. With a competent chairman and manager on board the team could, and should, be doing better.

Both of those clubs are significantly less of a clusterfck than we are.

Both were better than us last year, hence why we finished bottom, and burnley have been planning for a promotion push this year since before they were even promoted. I understand why this is the obvious comparison to make but I think it's a little misleading
Best thing Clive has ever written on 20:41 - Nov 5 with 1391 viewsWestonsuperR

Agree with much of this but can't agree with efforts levels are there, often the the team have looked lethargic and have frequently failed to put the effort in when the going gets tough and we have been desperate for an equaliser. The Fulham game more than any other highlighted how little Ramsey could get out of the team, not the first Manager to fail to get our players to give 100% in a London derby but this is no excuse.

I'm not sure we will improve much but want to see the effort increased and a bit more tactical awareness introduced.
Login to get fewer ads

Best thing Clive has ever written on 22:40 - Nov 5 with 1272 viewsNortholt_Rs

Best thing Clive has ever written on 16:14 - Nov 5 by johnhoop

I don't reckon he's a very good manager either. Nor do his stats suggest anything different:
P32 W9 D6 L17 Win Ratio 28.13%
That's a pony record whichever way you look at it. He had to go (and of course should never have been given the job in the first place).

Scooters, Tunes, Trainers and QPR.

Best thing Clive has ever written on 01:09 - Nov 6 with 1211 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Best thing Clive has ever written on 15:29 - Nov 5 by Northernr

You're also agreeing with me - "with a competent chairman on board." Totally agree, we'd be in a much better state.

Not entirely - "with a competent chairman AND manager on board". Ramsey is not a competent manager. But I do agree the root cause is Tony and I've been saying this for years. Only now people are beginning to wake up.
Best thing Clive has ever written on 01:15 - Nov 6 with 1202 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Best thing Clive has ever written on 19:45 - Nov 5 by Match82

Both of those clubs are significantly less of a clusterfck than we are.

Both were better than us last year, hence why we finished bottom, and burnley have been planning for a promotion push this year since before they were even promoted. I understand why this is the obvious comparison to make but I think it's a little misleading

If Ramsey were leading either of these teams they'd be struggling. To suggest otherwise by redirecting all blame on the QPR hierarchy - now that's misleading. Sure, the foundations need work but that doesn't hide the fact that Ramsey never was or ever will be a decent manager.
Best thing Clive has ever written on 02:56 - Nov 6 with 1172 viewsPunteR

Its unfair to judge Ramsey on results last season. Even when Redknapp took over when we were heading for relegation,he had the January transfer window to "get one or two in". We still got relegated,this from an experienced manager with a good record. What chance did Ramsey have last season?
To judge Ramsey fairly ,you have to judge him on this season with his team. Did he do well? Not really but didn't do to badly either. Midtable effort.
We will never know if he was going to get us relegated or dare I say it promoted,probably neither. But isn't that what consolidation in the championship is?.
Out of the last 6 managers I'd put him 3rd best,behind Warnock and Redknapp. Magilton, Hughes,Hart are 4,5,6.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Best thing Clive has ever written on 09:13 - Nov 6 with 1109 viewsPinnerPaul

Best thing Clive has ever written on 19:10 - Nov 5 by Hoop_Du_Jour

Nothing against your summation, more how the venerable and much respected PinnerPaul has brought it to the fore after Ramsey was sacked as if it were some saintly portent of things to come.

One right back and we're right back in it.

I admire the optimism that James Perch and Chris Ramsey are the sum total of our problems.

Wish hope you are correct, just don't think you are.

"venerable and much respected" - prefer if you leave the sarcasm out - thanks
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024