Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Least Favourite Americanisms 08:55 - Nov 12 with 28307 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Noticed more than ever on last weekend's trip to Blighty that you lot have joined us in Americanaland in that you now do your shopping in a 'store' rather than a 'shop'. Now I was always thought that the store was the dingy room at the back of the shop where they actually, y'know, stored stuff. Or, more precisely, the room where the lad went for a smoke while pretending to check whether they had any spare bogroll. This pretence at looking is annoying, by the way, but it is infinitely better than you asking if they have any spare stock and him, without listening, giving you the lazy-assed automaton reply 'everything we have is on the shelves', which makes you ask him why the fugg they built the huge fugging room out back so with the price of real estate.

What reminded me of all this is that I'm in a doctor's waiting room (knee injury - nothing serious) and as every person comes to the desk and does the 'morning, how are you?' routine their standard answer is 'I'm good'. What?

Are you? Are you 'good'? Are you well-behaved? Morally sound? A beacon of goodness in this bad, bad world? Well, nice to know, I'm sure. But are you well? That, after all, is more pertinent info and would be an appropriate answer to the question while we're at it.

Good! Californian Disney Ar$e-scutter! Away with you!

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Least Favourite Americanisms on 16:05 - Nov 12 with 2494 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Least Favourite Americanisms on 16:03 - Nov 12 by Monahoop

'' Hey'' is pathetic. How f***ing limp!

Guys. An American term for men or lads that never bothered me in the in the past until suddenly from nowhere also included women. How horribly PC!

'Guys' does my head in as well. Introduced to Ireland by the D4 rugby mob.

Least Favourite Americanisms on 16:07 - Nov 12 with 2492 viewsBrianMcCarthy

I'm not sure where the designer/real estate phrase 'what a great space' came from but I'm blaming the Sherman's.

It's not a space, you weapon, it's a room.

Least Favourite Americanisms on 16:16 - Nov 12 with 2482 viewshopphoops

Least Favourite Americanisms on 11:50 - Nov 12 by BrianMcCarthy

'Speak to' is hair-tearing. I listen to a lot of baseball podcasts and commentaries and that's a huge favourite of theirs. 'Does the lack of power hitting speak to current coaching trends?' It might, if it was a person and 'current coaching trends' was also a person. Otherwise, they just collections of word and no more likely to speak to each other than two empty cars are likely to drive towards each other.

But are you clutch Brian, are you clutch?

A magnificent football club, the love of our lives, finding a way to finally have its day in the sun.
Poll: When will the next election date be announced?

Least Favourite Americanisms on 16:24 - Nov 12 with 2474 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Least Favourite Americanisms on 16:16 - Nov 12 by hopphoops

But are you clutch Brian, are you clutch?

I'm clutch like that Zamorra guy, man.

Least Favourite Americanisms on 16:43 - Nov 12 with 2461 viewshopphoops

Least Favourite Americanisms on 16:24 - Nov 12 by BrianMcCarthy

I'm clutch like that Zamorra guy, man.

man that was like soooooooooooooooo clutch.

A magnificent football club, the love of our lives, finding a way to finally have its day in the sun.
Poll: When will the next election date be announced?

Least Favourite Americanisms on 16:57 - Nov 12 with 2474 viewsBklynRanger

What a fcuking disturbing thread. I was talking on the match thread last weekend about starting a thread to point out every time somebody on here used an Americanism. There are a fcukload of them about, definitely.

Sadly it looks like the situation is far more serious than I thought. I know about the ones like 'my bad' and 'step up to the plate', but are people really saying "math"? and in the name of sweet Jesus are they saying "could care less"?!?! When I finally get round to unemigrating, if somebody in any part of Western Europe says "I could care less" to me I'm going to beat them to death with a pocket thesaurus. I'll have to for continuity sake, I've been campaigning against that illogical phrase ever since I arrived here.

Anyway, the only general point I'd add is you have to differentiate between how Americans speak and how 'American Speak' is infiltrating British and Irish everyday language. The former isn't the problem - that's just up to them and there's nothing you can do about it. No point, in my opinion, complaining about their 'z's and their other many issues because they're not going to change them and to be honest why should they?

It's the American Speak that needs to be guarded against - not because language isn't a veritable smorgasbord as Antti suggests. For the opposite reason - the adoption of all those Americanisms is actually reducing the variety of words available, turning the veritable smorgasbord into one big plate of ham. Or hotdogs - yeah hotdogs.
[Post edited 12 Nov 2015 17:03]
Least Favourite Americanisms on 17:06 - Nov 12 with 2468 viewsYorkRanger

Reach out is one that riles me, also kick into the long grass.

Leverage, touch base are two more....
Least Favourite Americanisms on 17:10 - Nov 12 with 2462 viewsw7r

"Can I reach out to you"
"Let me reach out to you"
"Reach out to so and so"

Furcking sends me into one - no you can't you cant - now furk off before I reach out to you with a lathi.
Login to get fewer ads

Least Favourite Americanisms on 17:13 - Nov 12 with 2458 viewsitsbiga

I've lived in Los Angeles for 8 years now and still get misunderstood all the time for saying things in English. I refuse to assimilate. Queue instead of line gets yanks everytime.
Is this the queue? Always draws a blank expression.
What gets me the most is business talk out here. Makes me want to puke in meetings.
'Let's park that" meaning we'll talk about it later.
'Going forward" arrrrgh shut up!
'Laser focussed" please no more i cant stand it!
There are plenty more but i'm getting too wound up just typing them.

Poll: Serious concern we'll double drop?

Least Favourite Americanisms on 17:15 - Nov 12 with 2454 viewsNorthernr

Least Favourite Americanisms on 17:13 - Nov 12 by itsbiga

I've lived in Los Angeles for 8 years now and still get misunderstood all the time for saying things in English. I refuse to assimilate. Queue instead of line gets yanks everytime.
Is this the queue? Always draws a blank expression.
What gets me the most is business talk out here. Makes me want to puke in meetings.
'Let's park that" meaning we'll talk about it later.
'Going forward" arrrrgh shut up!
'Laser focussed" please no more i cant stand it!
There are plenty more but i'm getting too wound up just typing them.

"We'll circle back to that..." Is one I get a lot in US interviews.
Least Favourite Americanisms on 17:16 - Nov 12 with 2451 viewsitsbiga

Least Favourite Americanisms on 17:20 - Nov 12 with 2447 viewsitsbiga

Least Favourite Americanisms on 17:15 - Nov 12 by Northernr

"We'll circle back to that..." Is one I get a lot in US interviews.

Yeah and 'lets put that on the back burner'

Least Favourite Americanisms on 17:20 - Nov 12 with 2446 viewsKonk

Least Favourite Americanisms on 16:07 - Nov 12 by BrianMcCarthy

I'm not sure where the designer/real estate phrase 'what a great space' came from but I'm blaming the Sherman's.

It's not a space, you weapon, it's a room.

Being the massive Fulham ponce, I am, I’ve spent a lot of time over the past couple of decades hanging out at private viewings getting high on free booze and nibbles, and I think the term “space” has been used in the Art world for ages, when talking about a Gallery space/room. And I’ not militantly against its use in that context. I think it’s a relatively recent development that you now get idiots referring to their front room as a great space for watching Holby City. I suspect it came from Estate agents flogging warehouse conversions with their big empty spaces - probably to poncey Art/Media types - and seeing as the Yanks are the pioneering dons of warehouse/loft conversions, we can almost certainly lay the blame at their door. Phew.

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

Least Favourite Americanisms on 17:25 - Nov 12 with 2435 viewsitsbiga

Least Favourite Americanisms on 17:20 - Nov 12 by Konk

Being the massive Fulham ponce, I am, I’ve spent a lot of time over the past couple of decades hanging out at private viewings getting high on free booze and nibbles, and I think the term “space” has been used in the Art world for ages, when talking about a Gallery space/room. And I’ not militantly against its use in that context. I think it’s a relatively recent development that you now get idiots referring to their front room as a great space for watching Holby City. I suspect it came from Estate agents flogging warehouse conversions with their big empty spaces - probably to poncey Art/Media types - and seeing as the Yanks are the pioneering dons of warehouse/loft conversions, we can almost certainly lay the blame at their door. Phew.

They havent started calling the front room/lounge a 'family room' have they?
Or worse still the spare room 'a den'

Least Favourite Americanisms on 17:28 - Nov 12 with 2422 viewsHanwellHoop

Schedule

Its pronounced 'shed duel'
Not 'sked duel'

Loads of Brits say it the American way though. Sad, very sad
Least Favourite Americanisms on 17:34 - Nov 12 with 2415 viewsitsbiga

Least Favourite Americanisms on 17:28 - Nov 12 by HanwellHoop

Schedule

Its pronounced 'shed duel'
Not 'sked duel'

Loads of Brits say it the American way though. Sad, very sad

A Flarn for a flan.
Crass ant for croissant
Vite a mins!!!!! not Vit a mins
Any T swapped with a D. I need to type a ledder

Least Favourite Americanisms on 17:57 - Nov 12 with 2384 viewsDorse

I blame the immigrants. Pocahontas was very well-spoken.

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

Least Favourite Americanisms on 19:14 - Nov 12 with 2352 viewsFredManRave

Least Favourite Americanisms on 12:28 - Nov 12 by Metallica_Hoop

'Talk to the hand.'

Edison.

Tesla was the daddy.

I've got the Power.
Poll: MOM from todays Teasing at Teesside?

Least Favourite Americanisms on 19:29 - Nov 12 with 2338 viewsterryb

I may have missed it but HUMAN RESOURCES really makes me mad.

I am a person that is employed by a company to carry out work for them. I am not a resource that can be chucked away on a whim (at least not without a fight).

I'm sure it was the transfer from the Personnel Department to HR that changed their work from supportive to distructive!
Least Favourite Americanisms on 19:33 - Nov 12 with 2326 viewsjohncharles

Least Favourite Americanisms on 19:29 - Nov 12 by terryb

I may have missed it but HUMAN RESOURCES really makes me mad.

I am a person that is employed by a company to carry out work for them. I am not a resource that can be chucked away on a whim (at least not without a fight).

I'm sure it was the transfer from the Personnel Department to HR that changed their work from supportive to distructive!

It's only a matter of time before they drop the Human.

Strong and stable my arse.

Least Favourite Americanisms on 19:36 - Nov 12 with 2315 viewsFredManRave

At least it would appear that with everybodys replies on this thread so far our hate of Americanisms would suggest that we're all singing from the same hymn sheet.

If that one's already been mentioned then, my bad.

Can we get back to the soccer now please...

I've got the Power.
Poll: MOM from todays Teasing at Teesside?

Least Favourite Americanisms on 19:38 - Nov 12 with 2311 viewsted_hendrix

Least Favourite Americanisms on 17:20 - Nov 12 by Konk

"I think it’s a relatively recent development that you now get idiots referring to their front room as a great space for watching Holby City."

I think its relatively certain that should these immortal words ever be uttered in earnest then the World is truly fcked.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Least Favourite Americanisms on 19:40 - Nov 12 with 2308 viewsBklynRanger

One other one which I may as well throw in is this, and I hear it all the fcuking time near me:

Instead of saying "I think that" about whatever they're discussing many youngish people will say: I KINDA WANNA SAYYYY...." or "I FEEL LIKE....". Thus expressing how deeply and comprehensively they, as thoughtful, tuned-in human beings, have wrestled with this concept.
Least Favourite Americanisms on 19:45 - Nov 12 with 2297 viewsBklynRanger

Least Favourite Americanisms on 19:36 - Nov 12 by FredManRave

At least it would appear that with everybodys replies on this thread so far our hate of Americanisms would suggest that we're all singing from the same hymn sheet.

If that one's already been mentioned then, my bad.

Can we get back to the soccer now please...

I don't hate them, I have to say that. They have their good and bad points.

I do accept though that at least half of Americans have some of the most irritating ways of expressing themselves in the world. Even if spent the rest of my days doing an anthropological study of global communication I'm certain they'd make it into the top three no bother.

I've started to enjoy going to lonely parts of the South West in recent years, partly because the people you meet there don't talk like most of the Americans in big cities. Yes they might shoot you in the face in between mumbles but it's still better.

p.s. I can't stand plumy English accents either. They're usually fcuking loud as well and they're not afraid to mix a few Americanisms in with their 'yahs'..
[Post edited 12 Nov 2015 19:48]
Least Favourite Americanisms on 19:51 - Nov 12 with 2278 viewsHoop_Du_Jour

Asda (Walmart) doesn't have a fruit & veg department, it has a produce department

At Asda it's pronounced prod (as in poke) yuce.
Over there it's pro (as in professional) dooce.

It's a happy medium. Not that they'd know anything about medium, the fat fckers!

Sorry Brooklyn!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024