Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
God is fading 11:40 - May 24 with 34131 viewsizlingtonhoop

Slowly, rationalism and reason pushes superstition aside.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/may/23/no-religion-outnumber-christians-en

I for one find this encouraging.

I'm sure there are one or two who will shout 'the Muslims are gonna take over.'

They're not.
God is fading on 12:10 - May 24 with 12773 viewsBoston

Obviously not taken at an Old Firm Derby.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

God is fading on 12:22 - May 24 with 12746 viewsTheBlob

"There are lies,damned lies and statistics"

Poll: So how was the season for you?

God is fading on 12:29 - May 24 with 12730 viewsrobith

I was confused as I was dead certain that this was the case in the last census but apparently not
God is fading on 12:38 - May 24 with 12712 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

God is fading on 12:22 - May 24 by TheBlob

"There are lies,damned lies and statistics"

Does your Poll indicate differently Blob?
God is fading on 12:40 - May 24 with 12698 viewsTheBlob

The vermin only teaze and pinch
Their foes superior by an inch.
So, naturalists observe, a flea
Has smaller fleas that on him prey;
And these have smaller still to bite 'em,
And so proceed ad infinitum.

God is fading on 12:40 - May 24 with 12696 viewsTacticalR

God is fading on 12:38 - May 24 by BazzaInTheLoft

Does your Poll indicate differently Blob?

Blob has lost faith in Polls.

Air hostess clique

God is fading on 12:44 - May 24 with 12684 viewsTheBlob

God is fading on 12:40 - May 24 by TacticalR

Blob has lost faith in Polls.

The exception maybe Graham Poll

God is fading on 12:49 - May 24 with 12665 viewsTheBlob

The men that run your lives,the proponents of End Time and Armageddon are either getting too old or are basket cases.The new God appears to be The Great God Eugenics.
[Post edited 24 May 2016 12:50]

Login to get fewer ads

God is fading on 16:59 - May 24 with 12499 viewsessextaxiboy

Ok I will say it , (not shouting)

Leave a vacuum and someone will fill it .As I said before on the Sadiq Khan thread , for every nutter out in the desert killing and maiming there are thousands who sympathise with the cause not the method .
The hearts and minds campaign is getting sympathisers into positions of influence ,Councillors ,Politicians, School Governers,Universities . It wont happen in my lifetime or anyones here , why should we care ? . Our great granchildren espescially if they are girls or gay may wish we had resisted a little harder ...IMO
God is fading on 17:13 - May 24 with 12470 viewsLythamR

God is fading on 16:59 - May 24 by essextaxiboy

Leave a vacuum and someone will fill it .As I said before on the Sadiq Khan thread , for every nutter out in the desert killing and maiming there are thousands who sympathise with the cause not the method .
The hearts and minds campaign is getting sympathisers into positions of influence ,Councillors ,Politicians, School Governers,Universities . It wont happen in my lifetime or anyones here , why should we care ? . Our great granchildren espescially if they are girls or gay may wish we had resisted a little harder ...IMO

I dont see the connection

someone who is not religious isnt generally an empty vessel, they are more likely to be a enlightened intelligent human being, I also think you will find that its not just white anglo saxons that are seeing through the fairy tales, its people of all colours and races, the further away we all get from religion the better our society will be
God is fading on 17:17 - May 24 with 12450 viewsQPRDave

Question for the OP.
Do you believe evil exists ?
God is fading on 17:19 - May 24 with 12443 viewsTheBlob

God is fading on 17:13 - May 24 by LythamR

someone who is not religious isnt generally an empty vessel, they are more likely to be a enlightened intelligent human being, I also think you will find that its not just white anglo saxons that are seeing through the fairy tales, its people of all colours and races, the further away we all get from religion the better our society will be

Exactly.Why put a more or less human face upon what is essentially a blank canvas?
A person describing his/her religion is really describing themselves - hopes,fears,aspirations....no wonder they feel threatened under criticism.
I prefer to view the universe(and beyond) as mysteries without trying to rationalise the fear of the unknown.You're going to find out eventually so why knock yourself out......or anyone else for that matter.

God is fading on 17:19 - May 24 with 12440 viewsMonkey_Roots

God is fading on 17:13 - May 24 by LythamR

I guess the only downside to that will be hoping that a moral conscience is strong enough to deter someone from doing despicable acts to other human beings because the threat of damnation no longer exists.

Not saying that doesn't happen now, but the decline in social behaviour could be interpreted as a result of religion being less important in peoples lives in more recent generations.

Poll: Will we stay up?

God is fading on 17:23 - May 24 with 12420 viewsTheBlob

God is fading on 17:19 - May 24 by Monkey_Roots

I guess the only downside to that will be hoping that a moral conscience is strong enough to deter someone from doing despicable acts to other human beings because the threat of damnation no longer exists.

Not saying that doesn't happen now, but the decline in social behaviour could be interpreted as a result of religion being less important in peoples lives in more recent generations.

We're all morally bereft without religion?
Religion has the tendency to introduce a "devil" where none existed before.Hung up on guilt and fear is a main contributor to moral turpitude imho.

God is fading on 17:25 - May 24 with 12415 viewsdaveB

God is fading on 16:59 - May 24 by essextaxiboy

but if people have no religion that probably means they believe in no god so won't be switching to a different one. People of all races and religions need to stop fighting in the name of an imaginary person
God is fading on 17:27 - May 24 with 12414 viewsSimonJames

Bulls#!t
More people have died in the name of some perverse interpretation of a religion than any other thing.
Perhaps if people stopped having a p1ss1ing competition as to whose religion is the "right one" and devoted more time to simply behaving in a way that respects everybody's human rights, the world would be a safer and happier place.

100% of people who drink water will die.

God is fading on 17:27 - May 24 with 12409 viewsrobith

Has there been a decline in social behaviour? Each generation fetishises the last ignoring the rougher edges

"The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for
authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place
of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their
households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They
contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties
at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers."

Socrates by way of Plato
God is fading on 18:38 - May 24 with 12347 viewsMonkey_Roots

God is fading on 17:23 - May 24 by TheBlob

We're all morally bereft without religion?
Religion has the tendency to introduce a "devil" where none existed before.Hung up on guilt and fear is a main contributor to moral turpitude imho.

Nope, that wasn't what I said at all.

I totally agree with you by the way. I don't follow any religion, I was just pointing out that the idea of sinning kept a majority of people living a certain way to a certain standard based on their beliefs. If that was totally absent, i'm wondering if their conscience would be enough to deter people from causing harm and misery to others.

It was a thought, a question — not a statement of fact.

God is fading on 18:40 - May 24 with 12343 viewsMonkey_Roots

God is fading on 17:27 - May 24 by robith

Has there been a decline in social behaviour? Each generation fetishises the last ignoring the rougher edges

"The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for
authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place
of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their
households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They
contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties
at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers."

Socrates by way of Plato

I think there probably has been a decline in social behaviour over the past 100 years. I'm not saying its completely down to lack of faith, but a certain amount could be — again just putting it out there as a thought.

God is fading on 18:46 - May 24 with 12334 viewsMonkey_Roots

God is fading on 17:27 - May 24 by SimonJames

Bulls#!t
More people have died in the name of some perverse interpretation of a religion than any other thing.
Perhaps if people stopped having a p1ss1ing competition as to whose religion is the "right one" and devoted more time to simply behaving in a way that respects everybody's human rights, the world would be a safer and happier place.

'Bullsh1t'?

A thoughtful reply, but again i'm not disagreeing with you — religion has killed millions in the name of some notion or other. I was thinking that for your average person on the street, religion played a big part in their lives once upon a time, maybe for the wrong reasons - fear, guilt or whatever, but without any faith how would these otherwise godly creatures rationalise their worth and would their moral compass be enough to keep them sane and sociable?

I'm chatting sh1t really, but it popped into my head.

God is fading on 19:18 - May 24 with 12287 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Bah, only one god delivers.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

God is fading on 19:28 - May 24 with 12263 viewskensalriser

God is fading on 18:40 - May 24 by Monkey_Roots

I think there probably has been a decline in social behaviour over the past 100 years. I'm not saying its completely down to lack of faith, but a certain amount could be — again just putting it out there as a thought.

100 years ago women couldn't vote, homosexuality was against the law and we were slap bang in the middle of slaughtering literally millions of fit young men.

Social behaviour? On the whole I'd prefer to be living in 2016 thanks!

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

God is fading on 19:31 - May 24 with 12261 viewsizlingtonhoop

God is fading on 17:27 - May 24 by SimonJames

Bulls#!t

You made that up.

Malaria has killed more people than anything else.

Whilst I despise religion, it's ertain that if it weren't around for the past two millennia humans would have found something else to slaughter each other over.
God is fading on 19:33 - May 24 with 12252 viewsessextaxiboy

God is fading on 17:25 - May 24 by daveB

but if people have no religion that probably means they believe in no god so won't be switching to a different one. People of all races and religions need to stop fighting in the name of an imaginary person

If there was no religion and that is the way it would stay I totally agree , but there will always be people who are looking for something to set the rules for them and give them a path to follow .
In the UK Christianity is falling and Islam is rising, one group are apathetic and one is not.

I think that is something to be aware of at least
God is fading on 19:34 - May 24 with 12251 viewsizlingtonhoop

God is fading on 17:17 - May 24 by QPRDave

Question for the OP.
Do you believe evil exists ?

Why do you ask.

To me it's fairly plain that evil acts have been and are perpetrated by humans. But Evil as an entity? No.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024