Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Left wing back 'the grave-yard shift' according to Ollie 15:16 - Feb 6 with 5532 viewsWestbourneR

http://www.westlondonsport.com/qpr/holloway-explains-luongo-absence-qpr-man-drop

I assume he's mixed his words up (what a surprise) as 'grave-yard shift' doesn't make any sense in relation to a football position. Unless he makes Bidwell play there late at night when no one else is around - and on his current performances he might as well.

Ollie must mean the position has been a grave-yard for the players because it's destroyed their confidence or reputation.

And if that's the case he's basically admitting the system is killing the players because no one can play wing back.

Begs the question, if you know the wing backs aren't working, why do you keep playing the system?

[Post edited 6 Feb 2018 15:29]

Poll: Should JFH get the sack?

Left wing back 'the grave-yard shift' according to Ollie on 15:19 - Feb 6 with 4217 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Woah, you made a few assumptions in Ollie's logic there, Westy!

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Left wing back 'the grave-yard shift' according to Ollie on 15:22 - Feb 6 with 4205 viewsLunarJetman

I think he's praising his players for playing there even though they don't like the position or its not their natural/preferred position rather than admitting that the system is killing players.

Rather than suggest he knows wing backs aren't working, he's saying he wants to play that way but we're struggling to find a left wing back to fit the role...
Left wing back 'the grave-yard shift' according to Ollie on 15:22 - Feb 6 with 4199 viewsWestbourneR

I know! But I can't work out what other logic makes sense...

What's he trying to say??

Left wing back 'the grave-yard shift' according to Ollie on 15:24 - Feb 6 with 4197 viewsWestbourneR

Left wing back 'the grave-yard shift' according to Ollie on 15:22 - Feb 6 by LunarJetman

I think he's praising his players for playing there even though they don't like the position or its not their natural/preferred position rather than admitting that the system is killing players.

Rather than suggest he knows wing backs aren't working, he's saying he wants to play that way but we're struggling to find a left wing back to fit the role...

I make that another way of reaching the same place.

We haven't got the players for the system or we haven't got the system for the players.

Either way, it's not good surely?

Left wing back 'the grave-yard shift' according to Ollie on 15:31 - Feb 6 with 4162 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Left wing back 'the grave-yard shift' according to Ollie on 15:24 - Feb 6 by WestbourneR

We haven't got the players for the system or we haven't got the system for the players.

He could just be saying that playing full-back or wing-back takes it out of you, which it does. We haven't had many options this season with Robinson filling in at centre-back so it was good to rest Bidwell. That's how I read it anyway.

I think you might be stretching here, Westy. I can't see a problem with what he's saying.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Left wing back 'the grave-yard shift' according to Ollie on 15:32 - Feb 6 with 4157 views2Thomas2Bowles

Well you laid off the digs at IH for a couple of days I guess that's progress

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

Left wing back 'the grave-yard shift' according to Ollie on 15:36 - Feb 6 with 4136 viewsWestbourneR

Left wing back 'the grave-yard shift' according to Ollie on 15:31 - Feb 6 by BrianMcCarthy

He could just be saying that playing full-back or wing-back takes it out of you, which it does. We haven't had many options this season with Robinson filling in at centre-back so it was good to rest Bidwell. That's how I read it anyway.

I think you might be stretching here, Westy. I can't see a problem with what he's saying.

But Brian but calling that 'the graveyard shift' doesn't make any sense. That doesn't mean what you're saying it means.

It's surely no more graft than the 'high press' central midfield positions.

Left wing back 'the grave-yard shift' according to Ollie on 15:37 - Feb 6 with 4129 viewssmegma

He's certainly wrong about the 'graveyard shift' expression. That refers to doing night shifts of course.

As for saying that no one can play wing back, as someone mentioned, then WHY continue???
Login to get fewer ads

Left wing back 'the grave-yard shift' according to Ollie on 15:41 - Feb 6 with 4122 viewsLunarJetman

Left wing back 'the grave-yard shift' according to Ollie on 15:24 - Feb 6 by WestbourneR

Well I took his comments on face value and you took them as a negative...
Left wing back 'the grave-yard shift' according to Ollie on 15:46 - Feb 6 with 4107 viewsrsonist

Pointless as it is to figure out what Ollie really meant by anything, I'd guess "grave yard shift" refers to the heavy double duty workload required getting up and down the pitch?

Which is quite funny really because teams at the upper levels of the game actually place huge creative emphasis on the full back positions - so much so that this season we're seeing Moses, Delph, Maitland-Niles, Zinchenko, Valencia, Young playing there every week as managers try to force an advantage.

It's almost as though competent teams are based on functional tactical systems that are greater than the sum of their parts rather than "players in their proper positions".
Left wing back 'the grave-yard shift' according to Ollie on 15:50 - Feb 6 with 4088 viewsWestbourneR

Left wing back 'the grave-yard shift' according to Ollie on 15:41 - Feb 6 by LunarJetman

Well I took his comments on face value and you took them as a negative...

If he's saying what you're saying then it's still a negative. We're actually saying the same thing.

Left wing back 'the grave-yard shift' according to Ollie on 15:52 - Feb 6 with 4079 viewsAntti_Heinola

No Westbourne, he clearly means it's bloody hard graft getting up and down in that role and that he wanted to rest Bidwell.

Come on mate, you're an intelligent man and I know he mixed up his words there, but that's a hell of a lot of projection. We get it. You want him out. You have some excellent arguments on that score. But this nonsense doesn't help.

Bare bones.

Left wing back 'the grave-yard shift' according to Ollie on 15:53 - Feb 6 with 4077 viewsTacticalR

Unlikely metaphors have been the hallmark of Holloway's managerial career:

'Ollie’s Flying Circus includes references to mating badgers, copulating mermaids, preening burglars, computer literate chimpanzees and central defenders with broken noses who can smell around corners.'

Michael Calvin, Living on the Volcano: The Secrets of Surviving as a Football Manager, 2015

Air hostess clique

Left wing back 'the grave-yard shift' according to Ollie on 15:55 - Feb 6 with 4071 viewsWestbourneR

Left wing back 'the grave-yard shift' according to Ollie on 15:46 - Feb 6 by rsonist

Pointless as it is to figure out what Ollie really meant by anything, I'd guess "grave yard shift" refers to the heavy double duty workload required getting up and down the pitch?

Which is quite funny really because teams at the upper levels of the game actually place huge creative emphasis on the full back positions - so much so that this season we're seeing Moses, Delph, Maitland-Niles, Zinchenko, Valencia, Young playing there every week as managers try to force an advantage.

It's almost as though competent teams are based on functional tactical systems that are greater than the sum of their parts rather than "players in their proper positions".

Not totally sure but if i were to strip back the heavy layer of sarcasm rsonist it seems you suggesting that we have a 'functional tactical system that is greater than the sum of its parts'.

You have seen Rangers play this season right?

I've got no problem with squarish pegs in roundish holes (eg. Clint at left back the year we went up) if overall the team is working well as a unit.

Sadly, at the moment, we have a system that is uncomfortable for individuals and also doesn't work as a whole.

Left wing back 'the grave-yard shift' according to Ollie on 15:56 - Feb 6 with 4063 viewsWestbourneR

Left wing back 'the grave-yard shift' according to Ollie on 15:52 - Feb 6 by Antti_Heinola

No Westbourne, he clearly means it's bloody hard graft getting up and down in that role and that he wanted to rest Bidwell.

Come on mate, you're an intelligent man and I know he mixed up his words there, but that's a hell of a lot of projection. We get it. You want him out. You have some excellent arguments on that score. But this nonsense doesn't help.

Antti - hold my hands up - I read it all wrong. Got totally thrown off by the mis-use of graveyard shift and jumped several imaginary steps ahead.

Left wing back 'the grave-yard shift' according to Ollie on 16:03 - Feb 6 with 4029 viewsrsonist

Left wing back 'the grave-yard shift' according to Ollie on 15:55 - Feb 6 by WestbourneR

Not totally sure but if i were to strip back the heavy layer of sarcasm rsonist it seems you suggesting that we have a 'functional tactical system that is greater than the sum of its parts'.

You have seen Rangers play this season right?

I've got no problem with squarish pegs in roundish holes (eg. Clint at left back the year we went up) if overall the team is working well as a unit.

Sadly, at the moment, we have a system that is uncomfortable for individuals and also doesn't work as a whole.

No. I think Ollie has us looking a shambles. I also think "square pegs in round holes" is just the meme narrative of the month. Wszolek has all the attributes to play in that position if he were actually coached it properly, if we devised a strategy to maximise his strengths and minimise his weaknesses, the same way equally "square pegs" do at other clubs every week.
Left wing back 'the grave-yard shift' according to Ollie on 16:07 - Feb 6 with 4015 viewsAntti_Heinola

Left wing back 'the grave-yard shift' according to Ollie on 15:56 - Feb 6 by WestbourneR

Antti - hold my hands up - I read it all wrong. Got totally thrown off by the mis-use of graveyard shift and jumped several imaginary steps ahead.

fair play mate!
it was a weird thing for him to say though.

Bare bones.

Left wing back 'the grave-yard shift' according to Ollie on 16:07 - Feb 6 with 4008 viewsTacticalR

WestbourneR yearns for a sophisticated foreign manager - a visionary, a tactician, a razor-sharp thinker, a man who speaks better English than the English and who wouldn't dream of wandering off on strange metaphorical excursions.

Air hostess clique

Left wing back 'the grave-yard shift' according to Ollie on 16:13 - Feb 6 with 3985 viewsAntti_Heinola

Left wing back 'the grave-yard shift' according to Ollie on 16:07 - Feb 6 by TacticalR

WestbourneR yearns for a sophisticated foreign manager - a visionary, a tactician, a razor-sharp thinker, a man who speaks better English than the English and who wouldn't dream of wandering off on strange metaphorical excursions.

Don't we all?

Bare bones.

Left wing back 'the grave-yard shift' according to Ollie on 16:18 - Feb 6 with 3965 viewsWestbourneR

Left wing back 'the grave-yard shift' according to Ollie on 16:07 - Feb 6 by TacticalR

*Sighhhh* do you have a picture?

Left wing back 'the grave-yard shift' according to Ollie on 16:32 - Feb 6 with 3936 viewsPinnerPaul

Left wing back 'the grave-yard shift' according to Ollie on 15:31 - Feb 6 by BrianMcCarthy

Some always see a problem whatever he is saying
Left wing back 'the grave-yard shift' according to Ollie on 16:34 - Feb 6 with 3932 viewsWestbourneR

Left wing back 'the grave-yard shift' according to Ollie on 16:32 - Feb 6 by PinnerPaul

Some always see a problem whatever he is saying

Paul - I held my hands up for that. Just treat it as a link a halfway interesting piece of news from the club.

Left wing back 'the grave-yard shift' according to Ollie on 17:09 - Feb 6 with 3846 viewsTacticalR

Left wing back 'the grave-yard shift' according to Ollie on 16:18 - Feb 6 by WestbourneR

*Sighhhh* do you have a picture?

Air hostess clique

Left wing back 'the grave-yard shift' according to Ollie on 17:12 - Feb 6 with 3835 viewsWestbourneR

Left wing back 'the grave-yard shift' according to Ollie on 18:07 - Feb 6 with 3743 viewsAntti_Heinola

Left wing back 'the grave-yard shift' according to Ollie on 17:09 - Feb 6 by TacticalR

Oh God that's hot.

Bare bones.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024