Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Do we really expect Steve to get the bullet? 13:24 - Sep 30 with 10282 viewskropotkin41

What are the chances? After Tuesday night?
[Post edited 30 Sep 2018 13:34]

‘morbid curiosity about where this is all going’

Do we really expect Steve to get the bullet? on 11:36 - Oct 2 with 1135 viewssimmo

Do we really expect Steve to get the bullet? on 11:33 - Oct 2 by ozexile

Agree with all of that. Plus it will stop what happened v Norwich where we were totally outnumbered in midfield and they passed it at will in their little triangles.

The worst part of all this is that we did exactly this already this season and for 45mins looked fckin brilliant, that's what makes it all the more bloody infuriating.

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

Do we really expect Steve to get the bullet? on 11:59 - Oct 2 with 1086 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Do we really expect Steve to get the bullet? on 11:25 - Oct 2 by simmo

Been saying it for a while and of course not everything is as easy as change the formation = see us become great. But you have to start addressing the main issues in the team and working on solutions, starting with the system. Of course I am but a layman but to me the main problems seem quite obvious...

- The CB's are slow and not especially good, so you need a 3 man midfield ideally so at least 1 can sit a bit deeper and offer protection inbetween the lines but without that causing the whole team to drop too deep. 2 in midfield doesn't work at all.

- Our best player is Eze, possibly Freeman, so choose a system that plays to their strengths and limits their responsibility to do what they're not so good at, namely being a defensive winger... They still need to work hard when not in possession, but there's no point Eze being in his own penalty area at any point, so don't ask him to be there too often / if at all.

- The full backs are decent and solid in defence but not especially quick or good going forward, so make their primary remit defending, winning their battles in their own half and only supporting attacks when they have the confidence that someone is ready to cover/fill in, preferably that screening DM

- Get a striker that can play on the shoulder and work the channels, Wells showed against Millwall that because he was willing to drift wide and collect the ball, it created space centrally for the likes of Eze and Freeman to move into, which also suits their natural inclinations to drift inside

At the moment we have strikers that aren't being serviced, creators that are stuck out wide defending, CM's that aren't particularly well suited to a 2 and CB's/FB's that drown when too isloated. Something like a 4-2-3-1 doesn't solve all of those issues completely, but it will definitely mitigate them and get the best out of the 3-4 players that might be able to win us a game. It's also the system that McClaren understands best and we've wanted to play for the last few seasons but didn't have the strikers for, now we definitely do.
[Post edited 2 Oct 2018 11:35]

Ok, I wanted Neil SI to be manager...

..but can you take over from him once we hound him out after three games?

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Do we really expect Steve to get the bullet? on 12:01 - Oct 2 with 1083 viewsBklynRanger

Do we really expect Steve to get the bullet? on 11:36 - Oct 2 by simmo

The worst part of all this is that we did exactly this already this season and for 45mins looked fckin brilliant, that's what makes it all the more bloody infuriating.

True that. But Hemed was (I think?) unavailable, we were still very much in retreat from the boo-enducing playing it out at the back stuff, and the forced change in formation meant Cameron was in what you would expect is his natural position - reading the play and shielding the back 4.

So that all went very well, but the following game against Norwich the old Schteeeve bwavado must have raised its head again because we went back to an unworkable 4-4-2 and began to play it, very ineffectively and cumbersomely, out from the back again.

Do we really expect Steve to get the bullet? on 12:05 - Oct 2 with 1071 viewsozexile

Was it Martinez who said to play out from the back with 11 opposition players facing you is suicide? Have to agree.
Do we really expect Steve to get the bullet? on 12:27 - Oct 2 with 1032 viewsR_from_afar

Do we really expect Steve to get the bullet? on 10:22 - Oct 2 by Esox_Lucius

I can't imagine that there will be any kind of decent manager banging the door down to join a club with transfer restrictions in January and a low salary on offer. I also don't believe that if it was anyone other than the unlikely prospect of either an ex QPR favourite or Colin, that the fans would give them even half a chance before calling for them to be sacked. That, as much as anything else, is what is killing QPR.

Excellent point. I said something similar on here yesterday; what a state we are in if we can't countenance anyone other than a QPR favourite or one of our ex-managers as our next manager. Most of the suggestions about new managers fall into one of those categories.

That said, the club is facing so many many challenges (e.g. FFP fine/transfer issues, lack of infrastructure, weak brand) that even if the board were willing to consider a coach or manager with no QPR connection, and the fans were willing to give them a fair crack of the whip, they might not fancy the job anyway.

RFA

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Do we really expect Steve to get the bullet? on 13:05 - Oct 2 with 953 viewsPunteR

Do we really expect Steve to get the bullet? on 10:41 - Oct 2 by simmo

The more it goes on the more I think that 7-1 really killed us and we can't recover from it without massive change. We spent a whole pre-season talking about possession football, splitting the CB's, playing the 4-2-3-1 that McClaren favoured. We persisted with all of that through our worst start which culminated in us getting absolutely bummed to death at West Brom and in the panic, McClaren blamed the lack of both quality and experience and completely changed things, with the clubs blessing.

He's now persisting with a new way of killing us with a system, formation and way of playing that he hasn't used before and doesn't understand. It doesn't get the best out of the players we have, it's leaking goals while not creating chances to score, let alone get goals required to outscore teams. There's a lack of work rate/tenacity and nearly all of the fundementals we saw week in week out with Holloways team, regardless of results, are gone. Along with a lot of the younger players that were providing a strong connection with the fans and the 'old QPR' many of us were looking for pre-Premier League.

When you mix all of that in with a set of continued interviews referencing the performances that better meet the agenda of wanting to keep your job and abdicate responsibility rather than reality (something that's never wise with most fans, let alone those as streetwise as QPR supporters who even in the last 10 years have seen and lived through every trick in the book), it creates an environment where something HAS to change.

Good couple of posts simmo.
Interesting point about the fans being more streetsmart than we're given credit for given all the bullsh!t we've been served up over the years.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Do we really expect Steve to get the bullet? on 13:50 - Oct 2 with 870 viewsoldmisery

Do we really expect Steve to get the bullet? on 12:01 - Oct 2 by BklynRanger

True that. But Hemed was (I think?) unavailable, we were still very much in retreat from the boo-enducing playing it out at the back stuff, and the forced change in formation meant Cameron was in what you would expect is his natural position - reading the play and shielding the back 4.

So that all went very well, but the following game against Norwich the old Schteeeve bwavado must have raised its head again because we went back to an unworkable 4-4-2 and began to play it, very ineffectively and cumbersomely, out from the back again.

4-4-2 isn't always unworkable but the reasons why it's presently unworkable at our club is, in my opinion, due to the personnel deployed in the midfield four. When you select two 'number 10's' and play one on each flank, you not only nullify their effectiveness as schemers/creators but also highlight their complete ineffectiveness as speedy wide men, who would ideally be able to beat their full back and accurately cross the ball.
In addition whoever is selected in the two central roles mostly fails to demonstrate strong tackling/ball winning qualities that break up play and then quickly produce the sort of accurate passing that starts the process of creating goal scoring opportunities.
Furthermore (and even taking into account the lack of support etc) the two strikers deployed have only scored one goal between them in eleven combined starts. So why does McLaren persist with this formation and the personnel deployed within it?
Do we really expect Steve to get the bullet? on 15:02 - Oct 2 with 804 viewsswisscottage

4231 is exactly What Ollie had us playing well with towards the end of last season, and it gives far more flexibility allowing more opportunities for youngsters/fringe players to have an impact.
Login to get fewer ads

Do we really expect Steve to get the bullet? on 16:55 - Oct 2 with 736 viewssimmo

Do we really expect Steve to get the bullet? on 15:02 - Oct 2 by swisscottage

4231 is exactly What Ollie had us playing well with towards the end of last season, and it gives far more flexibility allowing more opportunities for youngsters/fringe players to have an impact.

and that was with Matt Smith leading the line, a man who for all his positive attributes can't run channels, can't press and hasn't got a very good back to goal game. The more I see here the more I wonder what Olly would have done last season with Wells or Hemed up top, at times it seemed it was all we were lacking was a quality striker that could play up top on his own - now we have 2 and we use them both

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024