Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Time Wasting turn Negative into a Positive = Elimination 13:05 - Oct 19 with 3856 viewsPerth_R

A lot of talk about the frustration of time wasting has been raised and it seems worse this season than most others.
I have brought up time keepers before leaving the ref to concentrate on 90 mins then being told what is to be played.
The idea I had for time wasting is to have someone maybe a time keeper with a sheet 1 to 90mins and make note against the time of any deliberate time wasting taking place with reason, then dependant of score at the end of 90 minutes give the manager the call if he wants to play it or finish the game. Obviously this descion would be made dependant of the score Eg. if losing play on unless your gettin tanked and may not want to concede more. 1-1 away you may say finish. If your winning finish game without any time added on for time wasting. I would even suggest exstending the time by 50% so 4mins becomes 6mins with the manager having the option to finish game if they get a goal that gives them a win or draw.
It would take a few of the thicker players a while to get used to it but if your team mates are telling you to get on with it because it won’t help,time wasting would become a thing of the past.
Just to add;in play time wasting taking ball to the cornor flag stays as it up to you to win ball back.
As most games are televised any strong argument about the timekeeper reasons could be looked at by the authorities and action taken against him if found to be wrong.
Any other ideas.
[Post edited 19 Oct 2018 14:22]
Time Wasting turn Negative into a Positive = Elimination on 13:41 - Oct 19 with 3794 viewsRBlock

What?
[Post edited 19 Oct 2018 13:42]
Time Wasting turn Negative into a Positive = Elimination on 14:26 - Oct 19 with 3729 viewsPerth_R

Yes read it back and it is a bit confusing.
Put simply if a team has been deemed to be time wasting give the opposing manager the call to play that time or call the game finished.
Time Wasting turn Negative into a Positive = Elimination on 15:05 - Oct 19 with 3697 viewskensalriser

The rules cover time wasting perfectly well, it only requires the ref to implement them properly.

Which means once a player's been carded for timewasting, if he carries on he gets sent off.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Time Wasting turn Negative into a Positive = Elimination on 16:09 - Oct 19 with 3621 viewsJuzzie

Time Wasting turn Negative into a Positive = Elimination on 15:05 - Oct 19 by kensalriser

The rules cover time wasting perfectly well, it only requires the ref to implement them properly.

Which means once a player's been carded for timewasting, if he carries on he gets sent off.

"Which means once a player's been carded for timewasting, if he carries on he gets sent off."

Which always irks me about that game at LR v Man Utd when Cantona equalised in the 99th minute.

When asked, the ref said he added so much time because our goalie was 'time wasting'.

As I understand it, any player should be spoken to first by the ref, then carded if they carry on. Sommer said the ref never spoke to him and nor did he time waste.
Time Wasting turn Negative into a Positive = Elimination on 17:15 - Oct 19 with 3564 viewsessextaxiboy

Once the ref is satisfied that the ball has been returned to the pitch he makes his way to the centre circle , as he approaches he raises his arm and drops his arm as he enters the circle , if the ball has not been kicked automatic yellow ...
Time Wasting turn Negative into a Positive = Elimination on 17:22 - Oct 19 with 3552 viewsTacticalR

Time Wasting turn Negative into a Positive = Elimination on 17:15 - Oct 19 by essextaxiboy

Once the ref is satisfied that the ball has been returned to the pitch he makes his way to the centre circle , as he approaches he raises his arm and drops his arm as he enters the circle , if the ball has not been kicked automatic yellow ...

Is that some kind of semaphore thing?

Air hostess clique

Time Wasting turn Negative into a Positive = Elimination on 18:22 - Oct 19 with 3505 viewsloftboy

Time Wasting turn Negative into a Positive = Elimination on 16:09 - Oct 19 by Juzzie

"Which means once a player's been carded for timewasting, if he carries on he gets sent off."

Which always irks me about that game at LR v Man Utd when Cantona equalised in the 99th minute.

When asked, the ref said he added so much time because our goalie was 'time wasting'.

As I understand it, any player should be spoken to first by the ref, then carded if they carry on. Sommer said the ref never spoke to him and nor did he time waste.

Correct, simmer ha eggs ball in his hands and dropped it at his feet, the ball was in n play and it was down to the Man Utd strikers to close him down and make him play it, the ref as well was being a united fan was intimidated by Fergie and the stopwatch he wore round his neck, this was one of the main reasons that the board was introduced to say how much was left to play.
As a side note technically speaking a game is only ever 90 minutes long as the referee stops his watch, he doesn’t actually add anything on.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Time Wasting turn Negative into a Positive = Elimination on 18:58 - Oct 19 with 3476 viewsPinnerPaul

Have to correct you there.

Referees don't stop watches - they just add the time on.

Not bigging myself up, but I can usually guess what is going to be added on.

Agree, not enough is done - either by adding on correct time and/or cautioning players to stop the time wasting.

Independent timekeeper plus, as they have in hockey a visible clock with a set time for play to restart after a goal for example would solve a lot.

I saw it in action and it works EVERYTIME. They also have it for penalty corners - EVERY ONE taken exactly 30 seconds after its awarded. EVERY restart after a goal is EXCACTLY 30 seconds after the goal is scored.

Do away with 'ceremonial subs' = just let them get on with it, don't allow players to be treated on the pitch (As per LOTG) and more spare balls and ball boy/girls to place on touchline when ball goes out of play.

Allow quick free kicks to be taken to player taking it.

All these work in hockey and you have very few stoppages.

Even VAR works better - clock is stopped and it is only ref on the pitch who can ask for VAR - he/she and VAR are miked up and crowd can hear discussion.

Interested to see any reason why all of the above can't work in football.
Login to get fewer ads

Time Wasting turn Negative into a Positive = Elimination on 19:27 - Oct 19 with 3460 viewsloftboy

Time Wasting turn Negative into a Positive = Elimination on 18:58 - Oct 19 by PinnerPaul

Have to correct you there.

Referees don't stop watches - they just add the time on.

Not bigging myself up, but I can usually guess what is going to be added on.

Agree, not enough is done - either by adding on correct time and/or cautioning players to stop the time wasting.

Independent timekeeper plus, as they have in hockey a visible clock with a set time for play to restart after a goal for example would solve a lot.

I saw it in action and it works EVERYTIME. They also have it for penalty corners - EVERY ONE taken exactly 30 seconds after its awarded. EVERY restart after a goal is EXCACTLY 30 seconds after the goal is scored.

Do away with 'ceremonial subs' = just let them get on with it, don't allow players to be treated on the pitch (As per LOTG) and more spare balls and ball boy/girls to place on touchline when ball goes out of play.

Allow quick free kicks to be taken to player taking it.

All these work in hockey and you have very few stoppages.

Even VAR works better - clock is stopped and it is only ref on the pitch who can ask for VAR - he/she and VAR are miked up and crowd can hear discussion.

Interested to see any reason why all of the above can't work in football.

I used to use two watches, one I stopped and one I let run, I know that refs add time on but I was being technical in stating that the laws of the game state that a game is split into two halves of a maximum of 45 minutes each way, this goes back a long way probably before you started reffing but it was always called stoppage time and not time added on, this is something it has evolved into by sky commentators! As far as I know the wording of the laws haven’t changed that much.

Time Wasting turn Negative into a Positive = Elimination on 20:02 - Oct 19 with 3434 viewsNorthernr

No need for a rule change. Card early. Card often. Card even if he’s already been carded. It would stop within a month if teams kept having their keeper sent off.
Time Wasting turn Negative into a Positive = Elimination on 21:11 - Oct 19 with 3393 viewscolinallcars

Time Wasting turn Negative into a Positive = Elimination on 20:02 - Oct 19 by Northernr

No need for a rule change. Card early. Card often. Card even if he’s already been carded. It would stop within a month if teams kept having their keeper sent off.

I would love to see a goalie sent off for timewasting. However, it would be such a bombshell, I just can't see a ref doing so. I think the keepers know this and know they can get away with murder.
Time Wasting turn Negative into a Positive = Elimination on 00:12 - Oct 20 with 3327 viewsHamptonR

Refs need to grow a pair and card a keeper early for time wasting and again if it keeps on, not just the token yellow in the 89th or 92nd minute.
Another rule should be the six second rule, which apparently still exists (unless I am wrong) but has only ever been used twice, once on a live telly game and once on a pitch in Milton Keynes- both late nineties

Six seconds should apply to all goal kicks, free kicks and throw ons, stops the sodding around.
Time Wasting turn Negative into a Positive = Elimination on 22:14 - Oct 20 with 3177 viewsPinnerPaul

Time Wasting turn Negative into a Positive = Elimination on 19:27 - Oct 19 by loftboy

I used to use two watches, one I stopped and one I let run, I know that refs add time on but I was being technical in stating that the laws of the game state that a game is split into two halves of a maximum of 45 minutes each way, this goes back a long way probably before you started reffing but it was always called stoppage time and not time added on, this is something it has evolved into by sky commentators! As far as I know the wording of the laws haven’t changed that much.

Its called 'minimum additional time' in LOTG.

Hear what you say about two watches but very few referees stop/start watch and just estimate added time.
Time Wasting turn Negative into a Positive = Elimination on 22:16 - Oct 20 with 3171 viewsPinnerPaul

Time Wasting turn Negative into a Positive = Elimination on 00:12 - Oct 20 by HamptonR

Refs need to grow a pair and card a keeper early for time wasting and again if it keeps on, not just the token yellow in the 89th or 92nd minute.
Another rule should be the six second rule, which apparently still exists (unless I am wrong) but has only ever been used twice, once on a live telly game and once on a pitch in Milton Keynes- both late nineties

Six seconds should apply to all goal kicks, free kicks and throw ons, stops the sodding around.

It DOES still apply apply, but only to GKs when they have ball in their possession (Not GKs etc)

Its NEVER enforced I agree, and as I said above a big clock in the stadium with a mandatory time for restarts and problem stops.
Time Wasting turn Negative into a Positive = Elimination on 23:19 - Oct 20 with 3102 viewsdavman

Crikey, how many more times do I have to say this. Reduce the game to 40 mins each way. Stop the clock when the ball is out of play.

That'll do it.

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

Time Wasting turn Negative into a Positive = Elimination on 02:11 - Oct 21 with 3035 viewstimcocking

Of all the issues which need sorting out, this must surely be one of the easiest. Just start booking people and then if they continue, send them off.
Time Wasting turn Negative into a Positive = Elimination on 13:56 - Oct 21 with 2848 viewsloftboy

I reckon Davmans idea is the best.

Time Wasting turn Negative into a Positive = Elimination on 14:08 - Oct 21 with 2836 viewsHordleHoop

Time Wasting turn Negative into a Positive = Elimination on 13:56 - Oct 21 by loftboy

I reckon Davmans idea is the best.

How about a change in who has possession?
Goal kick becomes a corner. I reckon that would stop it fairly quickly.
I hate seeing sending offs. Ruin the game
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024