Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Castles and abbeys. 11:52 - Jun 27 with 5330 viewsqpr_1968

something about these big old buildings fascinate me, probably the history and what went on in those walls, especially medieval times.

my favourite castle over here is Berkeley castle, great bit of history and lovely country side.
there are plenty more bigger and better looking......bit like women.

there is one in france i'd like to visit, had good reviews....carcasson, if that's the right spelling.

been to good few in England, Scotland and wales.

Poll: how many games this season....home/away.

Castles and abbeys. on 16:40 - Jun 27 with 1055 viewsqpr_1968

Castles and abbeys. on 16:37 - Jun 27 by PlanetHonneywood

Yeah I read the book and was surprised she didn’t mention Pete Doherty or wearing the Hoops in bed.

Reread it in case I missed it and then the wife pointed out ‘Moss with an e on the end!’

Which is how I imagine Doherty probably prefers it!!

Castles and abbeys. on 16:42 - Jun 27 with 1052 viewsMrSheen

Castles and abbeys. on 16:20 - Jun 27 by BrianMcCarthy

Never knew that. Thanks.

The Calvinists thought you should only learn about religion by reading the word of God in the bible, not through images and rituals, particularly of figures like later Saints who weren't in the Bible.

The good news was that the common people were encouraged to learn to read and think for themselves rather than be kept in ignorance and told what to do by a hierarchy. The bad news (for us, at least) was that church decoration were painted over, statues smashed as idols, stained glass destroyed, non-biblical holidays such as Christmas banned. England had two waves of this, in the immediate aftermath of the break with Rome (Elizabeth was less keen on destruction of images) and in the puritan ascendancy during and after the Civil War, especially in areas of strong Calvinist support such as East Anglia. Scotland almost all went this way, I think.

They particularly had it in for the Virgin Mary, as the practice of praying to her directly was seen as worship of a false god. Statues of her had the noses broken off as a deliberate insult; losing your nose was a symptom of syphilis and was considered the mark of a whore.
Castles and abbeys. on 16:49 - Jun 27 with 1041 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Castles and abbeys. on 16:37 - Jun 27 by PlanetHonneywood

Yeah I read the book and was surprised she didn’t mention Pete Doherty or wearing the Hoops in bed.

Reread it in case I missed it and then the wife pointed out ‘Moss with an e on the end!’

Which is how I imagine Doherty probably prefers it!!

"Reread it in case I missed it and then the wife pointed out ‘Moss with an e on the end!’

Which is how I imagine Doherty probably prefers it!!"

That. Is a top-class joke.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Castles and abbeys. on 16:50 - Jun 27 with 1039 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Castles and abbeys. on 16:42 - Jun 27 by MrSheen

The Calvinists thought you should only learn about religion by reading the word of God in the bible, not through images and rituals, particularly of figures like later Saints who weren't in the Bible.

The good news was that the common people were encouraged to learn to read and think for themselves rather than be kept in ignorance and told what to do by a hierarchy. The bad news (for us, at least) was that church decoration were painted over, statues smashed as idols, stained glass destroyed, non-biblical holidays such as Christmas banned. England had two waves of this, in the immediate aftermath of the break with Rome (Elizabeth was less keen on destruction of images) and in the puritan ascendancy during and after the Civil War, especially in areas of strong Calvinist support such as East Anglia. Scotland almost all went this way, I think.

They particularly had it in for the Virgin Mary, as the practice of praying to her directly was seen as worship of a false god. Statues of her had the noses broken off as a deliberate insult; losing your nose was a symptom of syphilis and was considered the mark of a whore.

Every day is a school day.

Castles and abbeys. on 16:56 - Jun 27 with 1035 viewsMrSheen

Castles and abbeys. on 16:50 - Jun 27 by BrianMcCarthy

Every day is a school day.

I've stopped now.
Castles and abbeys. on 16:56 - Jun 27 with 1031 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Castles and abbeys. on 16:56 - Jun 27 by MrSheen

I've stopped now.

Aw, I was enjoying that!

Castles and abbeys. on 18:12 - Jun 27 with 999 viewsBoston

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Castles and abbeys. on 18:58 - Jun 27 with 969 viewsCiderwithRsie

Castles and abbeys. on 15:45 - Jun 27 by BazzaInTheLoft

Login to get fewer ads

Castles and abbeys. on 19:10 - Jun 27 with 960 viewsBoston

Castles and abbeys. on 19:14 - Jun 27 with 957 viewsFredManRave

Castles and abbeys. on 18:58 - Jun 27 by CiderwithRsie

Too easy; 71 68

I've got the Power.
Poll: MOM from todays Teasing at Teesside?

Castles and abbeys. on 19:21 - Jun 27 with 947 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

Castles and abbeys. on 18:58 - Jun 27 by CiderwithRsie

Very impressive fortifications!

Poll: Expectations for this season?

Castles and abbeys. on 19:32 - Jun 27 with 936 viewsTGRRRSSS

Recognise her - but who is she?

Re Calvanists - so basically the Rounheads (Cromwell and co) fr4om the Civil War in 1640s - more commonly known here as the Puritans.

Puritans were all around though, not just East Anglia - John Pym was a financial official from Somerset for instance.
Castles and abbeys. on 19:53 - Jun 27 with 920 viewsaston_hoop

For castle/fortress/abbey/general historically relevant geekery, I can really recommend a day or 2 in Toledo, Spain. 1 hour from Madrid and absolutely fascinating.

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

Castles and abbeys. on 20:21 - Jun 27 with 894 viewsMrSheen

Castles and abbeys. on 19:32 - Jun 27 by TGRRRSSS

Recognise her - but who is she?

Re Calvanists - so basically the Rounheads (Cromwell and co) fr4om the Civil War in 1640s - more commonly known here as the Puritans.

Puritans were all around though, not just East Anglia - John Pym was a financial official from Somerset for instance.

There wasn't a Calvinist, or "Reformed" as it was better known in England, leadership or organisation, it was more an idea that each church should be a community gathering together to make their own study of scripture, completely distinct from the traditions and hierarchy of the established church. Most of the successful Protestant states followed the Lutheran model, which essentially kept the catholic structure (though changing some theology), but with the King as the head of the church not the Pope, and laying down his law through the bishops. As communities in the Reformed tradition were encouraged to make their own way, they went in a huge number of directions - Quakers, Fifth Monarchists, Antinomians, Ranters, Muggletonians and a hundred others, who often hated each other more than the other side.

The Anglican church was an uneasy mixture of Lutheranism and Calvinism. One of the provocations that led to the Civil War was Charles I insisting on reintroducing more ritual into Anglican worship, including robes, kneeling, altar rails and new prayers, which lifted the clergy above the common people, and which led to Reformed ministers who wouldn't follow the new orders being flung out of work.The fact that Charles had a French catholic wife made people suspect this was the thin end of a Papist wedge, if such a thing existed.

I take your point about Pym. As Calvinism opposed hierarchy and encouraged literacy, it was particularly popular with ambitious people of humble origin, such as craftsmen, scholars and merchants, and stronger in the towns and cities where such people gathered than in in the country. However, East Anglia was the stronghold, helped by the proximity to Holland which was the core of European Protestantism. Cambridge was the core of Reformed scholarship, while Oxford was the last hold-out for Catholicism and Charles's war-trim capital. Cromwell was MP for Huntingdon, and organised the Eastern Association, which became the core of the New Model Army. Another famous local boy was Matthew Hopkins, the WItchfinder General, who was the son of a Puritan vicar from Suffolk.
Castles and abbeys. on 20:22 - Jun 27 with 894 viewsBoston

Castles and abbeys. on 19:53 - Jun 27 by aston_hoop

For castle/fortress/abbey/general historically relevant geekery, I can really recommend a day or 2 in Toledo, Spain. 1 hour from Madrid and absolutely fascinating.

Pythian Castle, Toledo....Ohio.

Castles and abbeys. on 20:47 - Jun 27 with 879 viewsTGRRRSSS

Cheers Mr Sheen - I did a fair bit on the english civil war at school - but more the battle, dates and some of the names, rather than the indepth focus of what happened - The Grand Remonstrance, and alot of the more indepth things you mention didnt really get a look in.

Interesting you mention Hopkins - it's fair to say I think alot of the witch stuff that happened around that time would have come from the Puritanism of the time and the general chaos abounding.

I saw the Witchfinder Genreral a few year ago, a great film but with many inaccuracies not least Price being at least double the age Hopkins was when he died - and how he really died as opposed to a stylised punishment in the film.

Brillaint ending though incidentally the lady in the last scene - that gives the haunting finale recently died of of with CV19 - Hilary Dwyer aged 74.

Of tangent I know - apologies.
Castles and abbeys. on 21:05 - Jun 27 with 861 viewsMrSheen

Castles and abbeys. on 20:47 - Jun 27 by TGRRRSSS

Cheers Mr Sheen - I did a fair bit on the english civil war at school - but more the battle, dates and some of the names, rather than the indepth focus of what happened - The Grand Remonstrance, and alot of the more indepth things you mention didnt really get a look in.

Interesting you mention Hopkins - it's fair to say I think alot of the witch stuff that happened around that time would have come from the Puritanism of the time and the general chaos abounding.

I saw the Witchfinder Genreral a few year ago, a great film but with many inaccuracies not least Price being at least double the age Hopkins was when he died - and how he really died as opposed to a stylised punishment in the film.

Brillaint ending though incidentally the lady in the last scene - that gives the haunting finale recently died of of with CV19 - Hilary Dwyer aged 74.

Of tangent I know - apologies.

The Wiki page on the film is very entertaining.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Witchfinder_General_(film)

Apart from all the feuding between Vincent Price and the director, I love the story about the cinema in Hong Kong.

Maybe because I went to a Catholic school, but we didn't learn anything about Protestantism and the Civil War at all. I've only taken an interest in it recently. An interesting book came out this year by someone called Paul Lay about how the Cromwellian victory eroded and then collapsed after his death.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B06XRKMBHJ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_d_asin_title_o09?
[Post edited 27 Jun 2020 21:16]
Castles and abbeys. on 21:41 - Jun 27 with 840 viewsdannyblue

Castles and abbeys. on 15:27 - Jun 27 by BrianMcCarthy

Cathedrale Saint-Bertrand de Comminges in the village of the same name in the Freench Pyrenees is staggering if ever any of you are nearby. It has a wooden Cathedral preserved inside a later stone Renaissance cathedral.

And it has a crocodile, some lines in Ezra Pound, and an MR James short story, plus a wooden carving (misericorde) of what very much looks like a monk getting a blow job from a boy.
Castles and abbeys. on 18:10 - Jun 28 with 761 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Castles and abbeys. on 21:41 - Jun 27 by dannyblue

And it has a crocodile, some lines in Ezra Pound, and an MR James short story, plus a wooden carving (misericorde) of what very much looks like a monk getting a blow job from a boy.

Never knew any of that. Neither did the caretaker who showed me around, or at least she didn't tell me.

Castles and abbeys. on 18:14 - Jun 28 with 757 viewsqpr_1968

Castles and abbeys. on 18:10 - Jun 28 by BrianMcCarthy

Never knew any of that. Neither did the caretaker who showed me around, or at least she didn't tell me.

Castles and abbeys. on 20:57 - Jun 28 with 703 viewsdannyblue

"From Val Cabrere, were two miles of roofs to San Bertrand
so that a cat need not set foot in the road
where now is an inn, and bare rafters,
where they scratch six feet deep to reach pavement
where now is wheat field, and a milestone
an altar to Terminus, with arms crossed
back of the stone..."

Canon Alberic's Scrapbook, by MR James - https://gutenberg.ca/ebooks/james-alberic2/james-alberic2-00-h.html

The picture of the wooden carving won't post, but it's the last one on this page: http://www.cathedrale-saint-bertrand.org/choeur-cathedrale-2.html

You need a new tour guide Brian!
Castles and abbeys. on 21:14 - Jun 28 with 693 viewsdistortR

Castles and abbeys. on 14:19 - Jun 27 by CiderwithRsie

Two of my absolute favourite things here. Agree with all the recommendations here if anyone is looking for sites to visit and I'd add:

Isle of Man - two cracking castles on a small island, Peel is the perfect romantic ruin on a rocky (almost) islet facing into the sunset with nice beach and town attached; Castle Rushen is almost perfectly preserved (it was still being used as jail, garrison and government offices into Victorian times) and right in the middle of town

Chepstow: beautiful site overlooking the Wye, it is the basis of Life In A Medieval castle by J & F Gies, cited by George R R Martin as his main source for castle life

Tintern Abbey: you could fit this in with Chepstow, a few miles up the Wye, good ruins in stunning wooded valley location

not a castle or abbey, but Cashtal yn ard, the remains of a chambered tomb, is set in stunning scenery

https://images.app.goo.gl/KTkwnGe7tdjXuXX98

Edit - CashtalYn Ard means the castle of the heights
[Post edited 28 Jun 2020 21:56]
Castles and abbeys. on 21:20 - Jun 28 with 687 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Castles and abbeys. on 20:57 - Jun 28 by dannyblue

"From Val Cabrere, were two miles of roofs to San Bertrand
so that a cat need not set foot in the road
where now is an inn, and bare rafters,
where they scratch six feet deep to reach pavement
where now is wheat field, and a milestone
an altar to Terminus, with arms crossed
back of the stone..."

Canon Alberic's Scrapbook, by MR James - https://gutenberg.ca/ebooks/james-alberic2/james-alberic2-00-h.html

The picture of the wooden carving won't post, but it's the last one on this page: http://www.cathedrale-saint-bertrand.org/choeur-cathedrale-2.html

You need a new tour guide Brian!

Brno Town Hall in Moravia has similar.

Castles and abbeys. on 21:36 - Jun 28 with 674 viewsdannyblue

They said the beast lay in the shallows mewing likeing a newborn luring those it would devour before Saint Bertrand in his glory commanded it to change it's errant ways. Others said crocodiles were common votive offerings brough back from the Egyptian crusades.
Castles and abbeys. on 21:49 - Jun 28 with 662 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Castles and abbeys. on 21:36 - Jun 28 by dannyblue

They said the beast lay in the shallows mewing likeing a newborn luring those it would devour before Saint Bertrand in his glory commanded it to change it's errant ways. Others said crocodiles were common votive offerings brough back from the Egyptian crusades.

Jesus, I got the worst tour ever!

To be fair my tour guide was the manageress of the local hostel/gite, a lovely Japanese woman. And just happened to have the keys to the Cathedral. It was nice of her.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024