Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Getting a Dog 10:04 - Jul 15 with 15175 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Ok, lads this is huge. Don't mess this up!

I've always wanted a dog. I mean really wanted a dog. Always had a dog as a kid. Either a Labrador Retriever or a Golden Retriever. But I could never have one as an adult. i just moved around too much. Wouldn't be fair.

But, with the last few years, and now the last few months, I've been working from home almost full-time. I've also finally got family living nearby to mind my dog if I do have to head away for work or holidays.

I'm single with no kids. I live in a small city but with plenty parks and fields nearby.
If not now, then I'd have to wonder when.

The question is - am I mad? What am I not considering?

Have any of you any advice, please?

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Getting a Dog on 22:09 - Aug 24 with 1771 viewsOakR

Good choice, I had a lab growing up, amazing dog and very good for you.

One issue Brian...we need a photo!

Poll: Will we stay up?

Getting a Dog on 02:38 - Aug 25 with 1678 viewstimcocking

Getting a Dog on 14:49 - Aug 24 by CLAREMAN1995

Magnificent post FredManRave and its an opinion board so everyone has their own ideas.Getting a dog from a shelter is one of the most rewarding things a person can do on this planet.Deep down in their hearts/souls those animals know their days could be numbered and they will latch on to you once you approach the cage.They have been abused,abandoned,neglected but they are ready to find a new forever home and God knows they deserve their shot .
Of course its not cheap trying to repair their bodies but every penny spent will be worthwhile when they run to the door day after day when they hear you coming.Apart from my children the injured abused dog I rescued in 2014 (now a healthy active bundle of energy )is one of the true accomplishments I have done ever.
Good luck to Brian and all dog lovers because after the COVID lockdowns I fear the amount of dogs abandoned this winter could be bad and they will need us all

Yeah, shelter is great. That said, there are so many incredibly rare and bloody awesome breeds (Italian Soinone springs to mind), that i can understand somebody seeking out a specific puppy. Especially as it's a shame not to experience the cute puppy part of the dogs life. Nowadays, people are almost pressured into adopting, which i don't like.

Ps I''ve adopted (more or less) over a dozen.
Getting a Dog on 09:01 - Aug 25 with 1620 views2Thomas2Bowles

Great news Brian.

I've had 2 Labs, one as a child and one as my first dog as an adult, wonderful dogs but I think all dogs are wonderful.

First was called Winky, no idea why, the second Wellington.

I could tell so many stories about Wellington but one of my first memories being I used to take him to work with me I think he was just a few months old. one day got him a travel blanket (just the normal type) from a petrol garage as it was cold, got back in the van and put it on the floor, he picked it up still in its wrapper ripped it open then doing a spin wrapped it around himself. I was amazed.

A word of warning
Labs/retrievers will eat and eat and eat and eat till they explode, you really have to watch it as they can get fat real quick.

Wellington could convince anyone he had never been fed.
[Post edited 25 Aug 2020 9:07]

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

Getting a Dog on 09:39 - Aug 25 with 1575 viewsA40Bosh

Getting a Dog on 14:36 - Aug 24 by BrianMcCarthy

Picked up my pup today, and just wanted to say thanks to all of you.

He'a nine weeks old, a Golden Labrador, friendly but chilled, has one brown eye, one that's blue and white and answers, naturally, to the name Stanley.

Thanks again.

"Friendly but chilled"

Let's see how long that last until its "Very friendly but a fxxkin' maniac"

I think on the new Patreon site you should have a weekly diary update "Mc's Mutt"

26 December 2020
Was just settling down to watch the teams come out on to the pitch for the St Stephen's Day 2010 re-enactment of Queen Park Adel v Swansea when the stream froze even longer than usual. Went to check the router and found Stanley hiding under the dinner table with his paws over his eyes and knew something was up. There was a small suspicious looking puddle beside the broadband cable which was chewed completely through.

27 December 2020
Contacting friends and family to see if anyone wants a lab pup, one furious owner

They do love a broadband cable, but only normally chew through it the once!

Poll: With no leg room, knees killing me, do I just go now or stay for the 2nd half o?

Getting a Dog on 09:42 - Aug 25 with 1562 viewsCaptainPugwash

You have to consider the inevitable,the death of your beloved pal.It absolutely tears you apart and you never quite get over it.
My old mate Leo,8 stone greyhound/ridgeback Lurcher left me 6 years ago and I still well up with the memories.
Getting a Dog on 09:45 - Aug 25 with 1564 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Getting a Dog on 09:42 - Aug 25 by CaptainPugwash

You have to consider the inevitable,the death of your beloved pal.It absolutely tears you apart and you never quite get over it.
My old mate Leo,8 stone greyhound/ridgeback Lurcher left me 6 years ago and I still well up with the memories.

He doesn’t HAVE to consider it does he, you morbid sod!
Getting a Dog on 09:46 - Aug 25 with 1559 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Getting a Dog on 09:39 - Aug 25 by A40Bosh

"Friendly but chilled"

Let's see how long that last until its "Very friendly but a fxxkin' maniac"

I think on the new Patreon site you should have a weekly diary update "Mc's Mutt"

26 December 2020
Was just settling down to watch the teams come out on to the pitch for the St Stephen's Day 2010 re-enactment of Queen Park Adel v Swansea when the stream froze even longer than usual. Went to check the router and found Stanley hiding under the dinner table with his paws over his eyes and knew something was up. There was a small suspicious looking puddle beside the broadband cable which was chewed completely through.

27 December 2020
Contacting friends and family to see if anyone wants a lab pup, one furious owner

They do love a broadband cable, but only normally chew through it the once!

Spooky - that happened to me last season when I was minding Casey, my sister's Lab.

Getting a Dog on 09:48 - Aug 25 with 1556 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Getting a Dog on 09:42 - Aug 25 by CaptainPugwash

When my childhood dog, Sandy, died I didn't leave the house for three days.

Login to get fewer ads

Getting a Dog on 09:48 - Aug 25 with 1553 viewsMick_S

Outside light cable, here.

Funniest thing my mutt has ever done: He was on his chair, my wife turned around to pick up something else to iron, she heard a noise and he'd jumped onto the ironing board which started to wobble, as did his legs. I swear he made a Scooby Doo shitting it noise. His eyes were like saucers.
[Post edited 25 Aug 2020 9:52]

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Getting a Dog on 10:07 - Aug 25 with 1515 viewsA40Bosh

Getting a Dog on 09:46 - Aug 25 by BrianMcCarthy

Spooky - that happened to me last season when I was minding Casey, my sister's Lab.

Probably quite common Brian. Our own Cassie did chew through our broadband cable when she was a pup and cut us off for 3 days before Virgin Media came in to fix it.

They can be hysterically funny at times too. Cassie is now 7 and she knows when she is going to be in the doghouse before you open your month to her. I came in to our back room just as she was trotting in through the open patio doors and when she saw me she stopped dead as I was standing looking at the sofa upon which there was a mangled polo packet and broken bits of mint all over the seat. Once I pointed at it, she was underneath the dining table and then when I approached it she went and hid behind the sideboard and stayed in there for 20mins until the postman knocked and normal service was restored.

In her defence she is the only one in the house who bothers to get up off her arse and come and greet me at the front door of an evening. Long gone are the days when 3 small daughters would rush in to the hallway and cling to you. Now I am lucky if I get a grunt as they pass in the hall on the way back up to their bedroom with their head buried in their phones.

Dogs give you their attention for life - teenage daughters only when they want something
[Post edited 25 Aug 2020 10:08]

Poll: With no leg room, knees killing me, do I just go now or stay for the 2nd half o?

Getting a Dog on 10:11 - Aug 25 with 1501 views2Thomas2Bowles

Ha!
List of things Wellington destroyed, that I can remember off the top of my head.

A 10 ft +3ft hallway carpet completely shredded just fluff left, it was brand new, guess he did not like it.

A kitchen door, yes the cardboard fill ones, in 10 mins, when I popped out one day and he wanted to get out

Watches
Lighters
books
Shoes
Letters
Passport
Pillows on and on and on
And the fecker would just wag his tail at ya!

The only time he bit anyone was some guy putting his arm through the letterbox ( same hight as the latch) trying to break in while I was asleep, I jumped up opened the door and the cnt, complained about being bitten Ha!

It's 25 years since I lost him and still have great memories even the bad things.
[Post edited 25 Aug 2020 10:21]

Getting a Dog on 14:09 - Aug 25 with 1432 viewsCLAREMAN1995

Getting a Dog on 09:45 - Aug 25 by BazzaInTheLoft

He doesn’t HAVE to consider it does he, you morbid sod!

Good one Bazzalan the loft he took down the mood fast haha.
Seriously in a strange twist of fate I was working in a Veterinarians house yesterday and discussed Brians dog (only kidding )but he told me very uplifting news .Every animal he has euthanized are so calm and peaceful once they get the prep injection.All their suffering and pain are gone and in most cases the loving owners are holding their heads and talking softly to them as they take their journey to doggy /pet heaven .
Of course the owners are shattered but they can get a paw print for $50 to soften the blow
Getting a Dog on 15:31 - Aug 25 with 1385 viewswombat

Getting a Dog on 21:57 - Aug 24 by M40R

Great choice and great name.
Our yellow lab is 7 now and my advice is to take seriously the guidance on excercise time limits while they are growing so as to minimise the chances of developing elbow dysplasia.

ex ellent news brian ours are now 7 months old eat everything they shouldnt , as somebody else said keep the exercies down as much as possible at the start and get him usd to his harness soon as you can so much nicer than a collar when walking

Poll: which is your favouite foot

Getting a Dog on 15:36 - Aug 25 with 1369 views2Thomas2Bowles

Getting a Dog on 15:31 - Aug 25 by wombat

ex ellent news brian ours are now 7 months old eat everything they shouldnt , as somebody else said keep the exercies down as much as possible at the start and get him usd to his harness soon as you can so much nicer than a collar when walking

Going to have to disagree with you there Wombat, much more control with a good collar and lead.

No dog training class would tell you to use a harness, always a lead.

Police dogs and other, the dog is always on a lead.

Getting a Dog on 16:17 - Aug 25 with 1353 viewscyprusmel

Some puppies can cause an awful lot of damage while other don't cause any problems at all, no rhyme or reason to it.
We found a Husky cross (boy) at a village called Chlorakas bought him home and put him in the downstairs kitchen a reasonable size area 12 x 8 and he seemed quite happy and content loads of toys to play with while we tried to find him a forever home.

On the 5th or 6th day we came down to let him out and "Monty" had taken off 4 of the 5 kitchen unit doors and that was the good news, the bad news was he had chewed through a mains water inlet pipe and flooded the downstairs kitchen, bedroom and lounge to a depth of three inches.

As well as the replacement of new doors for the kitchen units we needed another three main doors for lounge, kitchen and bedroom because of the water damage and every wall in every room had to be repaired re plastered and painted.

Even so we loved Monty dearly (Very dearly) as it happened and would have kept him but at the time we already had another 22 living in.

We managed to send him to Germany through a Cyprus organization that has a sister site over there and they home check where the dog goes to see if it is suitable.

We pointed out from the start that Monty although a lovable rogue was a chewer and needed constant supervision. The lady who he went to said you don't need to tell me about dogs I've had them all my life !
Two days later she was minus a leather settee and armchair.
Monty was on his way back to his German base quicker than Usain Bolt at a party
( DON'T NEED TO TELL ME ABOUT DOGS ! )

Good news for Monty is that a farmer took him and 5 years later he is still happily living life "down on the farm".
Getting a Dog on 16:35 - Aug 25 with 1338 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Seriously though where is the Dog Man of Espana? Anyone heard from him? Is he allowed back yet or does he have to pretend to be a pirate?
Getting a Dog on 16:36 - Aug 25 with 1329 views2Thomas2Bowles

Getting a Dog on 16:35 - Aug 25 by BazzaInTheLoft

Seriously though where is the Dog Man of Espana? Anyone heard from him? Is he allowed back yet or does he have to pretend to be a pirate?

I for one hope he is ok, posted on here for many years.

Brightonhoop

The gun was only plastic from Poundland

or was that the pirates gun
[Post edited 25 Aug 2020 16:50]

Getting a Dog on 17:08 - Aug 25 with 1302 viewsdontknowitall

A word of warning though, if you are thinking about getting a rescue cat.

My nan had one. She slipped and fell one day and the so-called 'rescue' cat literally sat there and did nothing!
Getting a Dog on 17:24 - Aug 25 with 1268 views2Thomas2Bowles

Another thing Brian.

Dog/puppy thefts are sky-high just got to be so careful.

Getting a Dog on 17:30 - Aug 25 with 1262 viewsA40Bosh

Getting a Dog on 17:24 - Aug 25 by 2Thomas2Bowles

Another thing Brian.

Dog/puppy thefts are sky-high just got to be so careful.

As is indirect theft called Pet Insurance

Only got ours initially as when Cassie was young she insisted on going walkies by herself straight out of the park gates at 100 mph and out in to the road. So it was more the public liability aspect that scared me in to doing it in case a car crashed after swerving or hitting her.

Oh, and bush his teeth mate - if you don't you will soon wish you had

Getting a Dog on 18:30 - Aug 25 with 1209 viewsMickS

Getting a Dog on 17:30 - Aug 25 by A40Bosh

As is indirect theft called Pet Insurance

Only got ours initially as when Cassie was young she insisted on going walkies by herself straight out of the park gates at 100 mph and out in to the road. So it was more the public liability aspect that scared me in to doing it in case a car crashed after swerving or hitting her.

Oh, and bush his teeth mate - if you don't you will soon wish you had

My dog’s insurance is more than the combined total of our life insurance, which is just bonkers. You are right about the teeth as well, keep that tartar and staining away and they don’t smell too bad, let it go and it’s bad news.
Getting a Dog on 19:25 - Aug 25 with 1179 viewsJuzzie

When i had my two cats I worked out how much i paid in insurance over the dozen or so years and it was eye watering.
Put £30 a month into a new account instead.
Getting a Dog on 19:30 - Aug 25 with 1176 viewsMickS

Getting a Dog on 19:25 - Aug 25 by Juzzie

When i had my two cats I worked out how much i paid in insurance over the dozen or so years and it was eye watering.
Put £30 a month into a new account instead.

My mate tried that Juzzie and didn’t have enough in the bank before a big vets bill came in. All about the luck, l suppose.
Getting a Dog on 17:18 - Aug 26 with 1080 viewsmarkrtid

Getting a Dog on 14:36 - Aug 24 by BrianMcCarthy

Picked up my pup today, and just wanted to say thanks to all of you.

He'a nine weeks old, a Golden Labrador, friendly but chilled, has one brown eye, one that's blue and white and answers, naturally, to the name Stanley.

Thanks again.

So pleased for you both.
Didnt Bowie have two different coloured eyes? (Just saying)
I miss not having a dog. Truly, I'm a bit envious. Enjoy your journey together.

Is there a word for 'Dog Broodyness'?
Getting a Dog on 22:18 - Aug 26 with 1029 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Getting a Dog on 17:18 - Aug 26 by markrtid

So pleased for you both.
Didnt Bowie have two different coloured eyes? (Just saying)
I miss not having a dog. Truly, I'm a bit envious. Enjoy your journey together.

Is there a word for 'Dog Broodyness'?

My nephew wanted to call him Ziggy.

But it was always going to be Stanley.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024