Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Post COVID capacity. 21:37 - Aug 6 with 10937 viewsSt_Pollock

Just been told by a friend whose EHO department has been working with a number of clubs that the Capacity of Loftus Road next season will be 5,532 and this includes tickets allocated to the press and board.
Post COVID capacity. on 16:58 - Aug 8 with 2072 viewsNewBee

Post COVID capacity. on 16:48 - Aug 8 by colinallcars

20,000 die of seasonal flu - presumably these were people that did not receive the flu vaccine.

The number of people who die from seasonal flu can vary widely from year to year.

This is because the virus mutates frequently, meaning that the vaccine has to be changed to keep up.

I recall reading that one year the UK vaccine was based on the flu virus which hit Australia the previous summer/their winter. (Apparently it revolves round the globe as people travel between the hemipheres etc).
Yet the version which eventually infected the UK had mutated, meaning that the vaccine was much less effective.

And the other major factor is the weather. The colder it is, the better the Flu virus does. And cold weather also leaves people contracting it more susceptible to other complicating health conditions, like pneumonia or heart problems.

As it happens, the winter just past was exceptionally mild, which partly contributed to a very low death rate from flu. Which considering what is happening from Covid-19, is bloody fortunate.
Post COVID capacity. on 17:05 - Aug 8 with 2065 viewsGaryT

Post COVID capacity. on 14:04 - Aug 8 by PinnerPaul

Each to their own but posting that 'most people will get it if countries do nothing' is just daft.

Thousands and thousands would die if we did not have a normal flu vaccine, if we had no drugs, hospitals or medical facilities at all mots of the country would be ill - its a nonsense statement.

There is a long long long long way from 'doing nothing' to the current restrictions and that includes restrictions around football.

Just humour me for a minute and go on the EFL or FA web sites and read the rules around football taking place - there are pages and pages and pages of them and that's WITHOUT spectators - to imply that allowing spectators back with huge restrictions is acting without care or irresponsibly just isn't true - at least not in the apocalypse now scenario you paint it as.

You've misquoted me as saying "doing nothing" twice there. I said "it's generally accepted that in countries where there is little in place to stop the spread of the disease, most people will get it eventually". The 'eventually' and the "where there is little in place to stop the spread of the disease" is quite a bit different from "doing nothing". Most people have caught the flu at some point in their lives and once this thing get's a foothold, this will be the same. Only time will tell if it mutates and comes back next year to start the whole circus off again or whether we just except it as the new normal and get used to people not living as long as they used to.

I'm not really sure what point you are trying to make about thousands and thousands will die without a flu jab, no drugs, hospitals etc? Thousands DO die from flu every year, even with a flu jab so you'll have to expand on that one for me.

I've read my post again and can't see anywhere that I've said that "allowing spectators back with huge restrictions is acting without care". In fact I said the exact opposite. With strict restrictions in place it is possible but bloody boring so it would be down to us to decide if a socially distanced crowd constitutes value for money/entertainment.

I don't think anyone wants to be in a state of lockdown so following the guidelines on staying safe is the best way to get things back to something resembling normal.
Post COVID capacity. on 19:52 - Aug 8 with 1956 viewskensalriser

Post COVID capacity. on 13:52 - Aug 8 by PinnerPaul

That is a ridiculous post.

Over 10,000 die every year in road accidents - how many more do YOU want to die before you stop driving/getting in a vehicle?

Its the same thing - we live with risk all the time - no one is 'right' or 'wrong' its about what individuals are happy with, just expecting the world to stop is unrealistic.

What are we waiting for

a) Cure - think someone posted very few diseases are ever 'cured'/wiped out
b) Vaccine - We have one for 'normal' flu - up to 20,000 die every year
c) Lytham put no spectators until May 2021 - what happens then?

In what country do 10k die in road accidents? Not the UK, where fatalities are under 2000 pa and have been for a while. They're that low despite increasing vehicle usage because of all the efforts and measures made over decades to mitigate risk, from improvements in vehicle safety to legislating against reckless/unsafe driver behaviour.

That's what dealing with COVID is about - mitigating risk, especially with regard to the crucial difference between viral pandemics and other types of risk; exponential growth.

The stuff about what individuals are happy with and expecting the world to stop is just nonsense rhetoric, and I'm surprised to see you on that as I've always found you to be one of the more rational posters on LfW.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Post COVID capacity. on 20:11 - Aug 8 with 1930 viewsflynnbo

Post COVID capacity. on 19:52 - Aug 8 by kensalriser

In what country do 10k die in road accidents? Not the UK, where fatalities are under 2000 pa and have been for a while. They're that low despite increasing vehicle usage because of all the efforts and measures made over decades to mitigate risk, from improvements in vehicle safety to legislating against reckless/unsafe driver behaviour.

That's what dealing with COVID is about - mitigating risk, especially with regard to the crucial difference between viral pandemics and other types of risk; exponential growth.

The stuff about what individuals are happy with and expecting the world to stop is just nonsense rhetoric, and I'm surprised to see you on that as I've always found you to be one of the more rational posters on LfW.

Referee?
Post COVID capacity. on 20:50 - Aug 8 with 1874 viewsconnell10

I'll post one more thing on this then that's for me. Unless you are personally touched by this disease it's so easy to post what I find quite nauseating posts with scant regard to human life! Especially when I'm sure its not just me who posts on here has been affected by this devastating disease!

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

Post COVID capacity. on 20:55 - Aug 8 with 1863 viewsEsox_Lucius

Post COVID capacity. on 20:50 - Aug 8 by connell10

I'll post one more thing on this then that's for me. Unless you are personally touched by this disease it's so easy to post what I find quite nauseating posts with scant regard to human life! Especially when I'm sure its not just me who posts on here has been affected by this devastating disease!

Very much this. It's fine when it is someone else dying or at risk.

The grass is always greener.

Post COVID capacity. on 23:08 - Aug 8 with 1778 viewsnoauthority

What is always missed by people downplaying this virus is that it doesn't seem that bad relatively (i.e. compared to flu) exactly because of lockdown and social distancing measures. Remove those at the wrong time and it will really look bad, especially when hospitals cannot cope with the number of people requiring treatment.

The death rate as a % will then increase and things will be much worse statistically.

Our policies may have been muddled and mistimed, but they have still helped to contain a pandemic.

You simply cannot view this virus from the narrow window within considerable containment measures. You also have to consider the impact of the virus with these measures removed.
[Post edited 8 Aug 2020 23:09]
Post COVID capacity. on 09:09 - Aug 9 with 1600 viewsEsox_Lucius

Post COVID capacity. on 23:08 - Aug 8 by noauthority

What is always missed by people downplaying this virus is that it doesn't seem that bad relatively (i.e. compared to flu) exactly because of lockdown and social distancing measures. Remove those at the wrong time and it will really look bad, especially when hospitals cannot cope with the number of people requiring treatment.

The death rate as a % will then increase and things will be much worse statistically.

Our policies may have been muddled and mistimed, but they have still helped to contain a pandemic.

You simply cannot view this virus from the narrow window within considerable containment measures. You also have to consider the impact of the virus with these measures removed.

There is also the related lives saved due to less traffic, fewer cases of airborne infection due to mask wearing etc. Hopefully excess deaths this year will be a lot lower than in the previous years due to the extra precautions taken during the pandemic.

The grass is always greener.

Login to get fewer ads

Post COVID capacity. on 09:34 - Aug 9 with 1571 viewsGaryT

Post COVID capacity. on 09:09 - Aug 9 by Esox_Lucius

There is also the related lives saved due to less traffic, fewer cases of airborne infection due to mask wearing etc. Hopefully excess deaths this year will be a lot lower than in the previous years due to the extra precautions taken during the pandemic.

There will undoubtedly be less deaths this year from road accidents, on site accidents, after closing time stabbings and any other way people can die whilst going about the usual business. These will be offset against those who died from C19 so we'll need to look at the breakdown to get a better idea of who died from the virus but as has been said before, picking through that list won't be easy due to the blurred lines.

What we are seeing now with the excess deaths falling below last years numbers is that people that could have expected to live for another few months were wiped out in April when the first wave swept through the care homes/nation. It will be interesting to see how long that fall can continue before it settles to give a better indication of how many additional people have died who, in any other year, would still be alive today.
Post COVID capacity. on 09:51 - Aug 9 with 1557 viewstraininvain

Post COVID capacity. on 23:08 - Aug 8 by noauthority

Totally agree. And people often overlook that many people who survive the virus will have ongoing health issues. Lung issues, heart problems etc. I don’t hear much about the impact this will have on the economy.
Post COVID capacity. on 14:19 - Aug 9 with 1454 viewsLongsufferingR

Getting back to the original point - https://venuesnow.com/ticketmasters-new-tool-for-reduced-seating/
Post COVID capacity. on 20:26 - Aug 9 with 1261 viewsStanisgod

Post COVID capacity. on 14:19 - Aug 9 by LongsufferingR

Getting back to the original point - https://venuesnow.com/ticketmasters-new-tool-for-reduced-seating/

There is no additional fee to use the tool, says Ticketshafter 😂😂😂
A spokesman said we have already upped the ticket money!!

It's being so happy that keeps me going.

Post COVID capacity. on 23:09 - Aug 9 with 1158 viewsGloryHunter

Awww, that is so sweet that Ticketmaster are already thinking of how best to keep us safe. Bless.
Post COVID capacity. on 13:41 - Aug 10 with 1029 viewsTGRRRSSS

GaryT

When the schools go back sure;y this will increase the transmission rates too via various things not necessarily related to the kids themselves.

I don't think St Pollock has been out of order he gave an opinion is all.

I'm back in the office, pubs are currently open - albeit with quite the palarva I suspect people ain't bothering and in theory we could (if government advice was totally listened too -0 have millions on tubes, buses trains etc going into offices, shops and so on (mask excepted on PT .

However go to QPR or the beach and it's dangerous???...

All he said was we cannot go on like this or if we do expect massive problems.

BTW the Non League thing surely they will have limited capacity's too?
Post COVID capacity. on 18:58 - Aug 10 with 920 viewsGaryT

@ TGRSSSSS

Opinions are fine and I'm allowed to disagree with St P and have my own. If you quote numbers that are wrong though you can expect to get called out on them.

The situation is always changing and if truth be told, nobody really knows if what they are doing is helping or not. Here in Spain we have to wear a mask at all times when out of the house which is getting a lot of push back from the locals. I get the science of how it stops you spreading the disease but there's also more evidence now that it's hard to catch it when you are out in the open so what most people do is, when out for a walk, have the mask pulled down under their chin and when someone is walking towards them, pull the mask up. That's bending the rules but for most people that's fine as we are being respectful to each other but imagine a health secretary explaining this situation of mask up, mask down, mask up, mask down without people throwing their arms up in the air in exasperation at the lack of clear guidance.

So I'm not saying we should stick religiously by every rule as some bending of them is fine when it's safe to do so but not wearing a mask in an enclosed building, with strangers passing close by all the time, then masks need to be worn. If people choose not to bother with the mask rules and the case numbers keep rising, as they are doing now, you can expect more massive problems down the road.

I still don't get the "we can't go on like this!" cries of despair. What exactly is the madness that we can't continue with? Wearing masks? social distancing? Really? We have to get the R0 number as close to 0 as possible and these minor inconveniences help to do that. Maybe I'm one of those fortunate ones who can remember a time in their life when all they had to their name was a carton of orange juice, a Tom Clancy novel and a Ford Cortina so when inconveniences like these come along, they're no inconvenience at all. Just a personal perspective.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024