Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Post COVID capacity. 21:37 - Aug 6 with 10935 viewsSt_Pollock

Just been told by a friend whose EHO department has been working with a number of clubs that the Capacity of Loftus Road next season will be 5,532 and this includes tickets allocated to the press and board.
Post COVID capacity. on 00:19 - Aug 8 with 1975 viewsSt_Pollock

Post COVID capacity. on 00:16 - Aug 8 by CliveWilsonSaid

Like I said I can't really remember but there was some palarver about it a while ago.

"Weirdo". LOL

Yep, you are.
Post COVID capacity. on 01:27 - Aug 8 with 1912 viewsGaryT

@St Pollok

There's a Corona thread where similar statements like yours have been made which received detailed answers so I'm hesitant about going through it all again but what I will say is, it's generally accepted that in countries where there is little in place to stop the spread of the disease, most people will get it eventually. You've stated that you are happy with a death rate of 3% which in the UK (with a population of nearly 68 million, not 67) would equate to roughly 2 million people. I know numbers like 3% don't sound like much when not put into context but it's worth taking that extra step to see what 3% actually looks like when it comes to a body count.

You say “The real figure of those who passed away from it in the UK is likely to be around 25-30K and they were mostly ill already with issues that would kill them”. Where do you get 25-30k from? The recorded deaths from C19 is currently 46.5k and that doesn't include those who died at home or in care homes that weren't tested. When the UK finally added care home deaths on 29th April they only added 3.8k bringing the total to 26k. Most other Euro countries were seeing care home deaths equate to roughly 50% of their total so the real number added should have been closer to 11k. In fact it's probably higher as the UK government transferred patients from hospitals into care homes without testing them for C19 causing many more thousands to die.

The ONS provides details on excess deaths and to date that figure stands at 63.5k, down from 65k last month. Those who would have died anyway are accounted for in the yearly average numbers so the excess deaths are clearly caused by something else, like a pandemic for example. I'm aware that some people may have been wrongly recorded as a C19 death so that's why the excess death figure is important as it takes into account all the other factors, like cancelled surgeries and those too scared to go to the doctor and paying for it with their lives. So no, 25 to 30k is nowhere near the correct number, I'd suggest you start with 63.5K and work up from there as that will include those who would have died anyway.

You've stated that you're not concerned about the health aspect as you think you've had it and clearly you only had a mild reaction so, good for you. Comments like "how long do we allow this madness to continue?" and "At one point we have to say 'enough is enough, we need to move on" does sound a bit “I'm alright jack” and is the sort of thing I've heard from youngsters and people in the 30's who clearly couldn't give a shit if old people die so I was surprised to see from your first post that you are 42. How do your parents feel about getting things back to normal? Are they happy to throw caution to the wind, even if it kills them?

You say “There are 7 people in every 100,000 affected by COVID in Hammersmith and Fulham borough”. This says 430.5 per 100k https://lginform.local.gov.uk/reports/view/lga-research/covid-19-case-tracker-ar Where did you get 7 from?

In case you think I'm only here to bash your stats, I'm in agreement with you that some sort of normality needs to return as the economical fallout from this is going to be enormous but you don't have to down play the severity of the disease or quote unsubstantiated numbers to push that point. If everyone in the UK took this seriously and squirted hand sanitizer into their hands every time they entered a supermarket, put on a mask and those horrible plastic gloves and kept their distance from people then life can go on almost as normal but if the Brits carry on with this “We're British, we're different, we don't need to follow the rules” bollox, then it will continue to be the 2nd worst country in the world for deaths per million. (IN THE WORLD!!! FFS!)

As for social distancing at football matches, it's possible but Christ will it be boring but what other option is there? (and no, caution to the wind is not an option).

edit, typo
[Post edited 8 Aug 2020 2:00]
Post COVID capacity. on 03:23 - Aug 8 with 1874 viewsPlanetHonneywood

This is where folks get/might get confused: what are the restrictions for travelling to a game on public transport?

I would assume a person has more chance of contracting a myriad of diseases travelling on a packed carriage on the Central Line, then they would at a reduced capacity football ground.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Post COVID capacity. on 10:10 - Aug 8 with 1751 viewsconnell10

Post COVID capacity. on 19:32 - Aug 7 by St_Pollock

It's always incredibly difficult and sad for those who knew people who passed away from the virus but the reality is that the chances of dying from it are incredibly remote. In fact, the chances of getting it severely are not much bigger.

The real figure of those who passed away from it in the UK is likely to be around 25-30K and they were mostly ill already with issues that would kill them and that is also an incredibly small percentage of our population of nearly 67 million.

Call me heartless and I will agree but it's cold reality, not naivety. We can't afford to destroy the economy anymore and the measurements in place are disproportionate to the risk.

I understand the empathy argument but the reality is that people dying is part and parcel of life and so is the need for a strong economy and freedoms in a Capitalist society.
[Post edited 7 Aug 2020 19:34]

Just words mate so easily spoken from someone who has not been affected by the virus. If it comes knocking at your door you will soon change your tune!

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

Post COVID capacity. on 10:54 - Aug 8 with 1678 viewsSt_Pollock

Post COVID capacity. on 10:10 - Aug 8 by connell10

Just words mate so easily spoken from someone who has not been affected by the virus. If it comes knocking at your door you will soon change your tune!

No I won't.

At the end of the day none of us pay our mortgage, rent, bills or go on holiday or to football with shirt buttons.

The ruined economy is harming more people than the virus ever did or will and we can't allow the measures in place extend for too much longer.

As I said before, I understand you're coming from a position of Human empathy and I am being cold hearted, but my approach is based on the cold reality of living in a Capitalist country and the reality that we need a strong economy. You're right in terms of human values but we don't live in a Utopia and we have to respond accordingly.
Post COVID capacity. on 11:00 - Aug 8 with 1674 viewsSt_Pollock

Post COVID capacity. on 01:27 - Aug 8 by GaryT

@St Pollok

There's a Corona thread where similar statements like yours have been made which received detailed answers so I'm hesitant about going through it all again but what I will say is, it's generally accepted that in countries where there is little in place to stop the spread of the disease, most people will get it eventually. You've stated that you are happy with a death rate of 3% which in the UK (with a population of nearly 68 million, not 67) would equate to roughly 2 million people. I know numbers like 3% don't sound like much when not put into context but it's worth taking that extra step to see what 3% actually looks like when it comes to a body count.

You say “The real figure of those who passed away from it in the UK is likely to be around 25-30K and they were mostly ill already with issues that would kill them”. Where do you get 25-30k from? The recorded deaths from C19 is currently 46.5k and that doesn't include those who died at home or in care homes that weren't tested. When the UK finally added care home deaths on 29th April they only added 3.8k bringing the total to 26k. Most other Euro countries were seeing care home deaths equate to roughly 50% of their total so the real number added should have been closer to 11k. In fact it's probably higher as the UK government transferred patients from hospitals into care homes without testing them for C19 causing many more thousands to die.

The ONS provides details on excess deaths and to date that figure stands at 63.5k, down from 65k last month. Those who would have died anyway are accounted for in the yearly average numbers so the excess deaths are clearly caused by something else, like a pandemic for example. I'm aware that some people may have been wrongly recorded as a C19 death so that's why the excess death figure is important as it takes into account all the other factors, like cancelled surgeries and those too scared to go to the doctor and paying for it with their lives. So no, 25 to 30k is nowhere near the correct number, I'd suggest you start with 63.5K and work up from there as that will include those who would have died anyway.

You've stated that you're not concerned about the health aspect as you think you've had it and clearly you only had a mild reaction so, good for you. Comments like "how long do we allow this madness to continue?" and "At one point we have to say 'enough is enough, we need to move on" does sound a bit “I'm alright jack” and is the sort of thing I've heard from youngsters and people in the 30's who clearly couldn't give a shit if old people die so I was surprised to see from your first post that you are 42. How do your parents feel about getting things back to normal? Are they happy to throw caution to the wind, even if it kills them?

You say “There are 7 people in every 100,000 affected by COVID in Hammersmith and Fulham borough”. This says 430.5 per 100k https://lginform.local.gov.uk/reports/view/lga-research/covid-19-case-tracker-ar Where did you get 7 from?

In case you think I'm only here to bash your stats, I'm in agreement with you that some sort of normality needs to return as the economical fallout from this is going to be enormous but you don't have to down play the severity of the disease or quote unsubstantiated numbers to push that point. If everyone in the UK took this seriously and squirted hand sanitizer into their hands every time they entered a supermarket, put on a mask and those horrible plastic gloves and kept their distance from people then life can go on almost as normal but if the Brits carry on with this “We're British, we're different, we don't need to follow the rules” bollox, then it will continue to be the 2nd worst country in the world for deaths per million. (IN THE WORLD!!! FFS!)

As for social distancing at football matches, it's possible but Christ will it be boring but what other option is there? (and no, caution to the wind is not an option).

edit, typo

Your 430 per 100k stats for H+F are the accumulative for all months, on the same page it says that the current rate is 2.2 per 100k.

Those additional deaths due to cancellation of operations shouldn't be kept in the same column as COVID 19 deaths but they are a staggering indictment as are the suicides that have occurred and will so as a consequence of the economic turmoil that the measures caused.
Post COVID capacity. on 11:20 - Aug 8 with 1649 viewstraininvain

Post COVID capacity. on 10:54 - Aug 8 by St_Pollock

No I won't.

At the end of the day none of us pay our mortgage, rent, bills or go on holiday or to football with shirt buttons.

The ruined economy is harming more people than the virus ever did or will and we can't allow the measures in place extend for too much longer.

As I said before, I understand you're coming from a position of Human empathy and I am being cold hearted, but my approach is based on the cold reality of living in a Capitalist country and the reality that we need a strong economy. You're right in terms of human values but we don't live in a Utopia and we have to respond accordingly.

You make it sound like there’s no choice or middle ground between complete lockdown and what we have now which is a balance between restarting the economy and trying to mitigate the number of people contracting the virus.

Unfortunately some fun things like holidays and going to the football might have to wait a little longer until we get to grips with the virus. It’s not a massive sacrifice to make given the alternative as pointed out by Gary is c2m dead if we just let the virus run wild. Not to mention the economic impact of millions dying.

It’s a balancing act which we’ll have to get used to until we have a vaccine or some form of effective treatment to stop people dying.
Post COVID capacity. on 11:38 - Aug 8 with 1625 viewswombat

Post COVID capacity. on 11:20 - Aug 8 by traininvain

You make it sound like there’s no choice or middle ground between complete lockdown and what we have now which is a balance between restarting the economy and trying to mitigate the number of people contracting the virus.

Unfortunately some fun things like holidays and going to the football might have to wait a little longer until we get to grips with the virus. It’s not a massive sacrifice to make given the alternative as pointed out by Gary is c2m dead if we just let the virus run wild. Not to mention the economic impact of millions dying.

It’s a balancing act which we’ll have to get used to until we have a vaccine or some form of effective treatment to stop people dying.

think a test game is or was planned in holland with around 10k allowed in this week , might have been cancelled since i read it though

Poll: which is your favouite foot

Login to get fewer ads

Post COVID capacity. on 11:46 - Aug 8 with 1610 viewsAntti_Heinola

Post COVID capacity. on 09:59 - Aug 7 by robith

Do people really want to go to fooball that badly? Forgetting the health risks for a moment, it sounds like a terrible experience

Yes.

Risks, considering we're all outside and should be required to wear masks, with those restrictions, I imagine will be minimal.

Bare bones.

Post COVID capacity. on 11:53 - Aug 8 with 1585 viewsconnell10

Post COVID capacity. on 10:54 - Aug 8 by St_Pollock

No I won't.

I'm coming from a angle of someone who has been personally touched by it! It's so easy just to write about something you have no experience of. If it effects you in a bad way you will soon change your tune.

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

Post COVID capacity. on 12:06 - Aug 8 with 1546 viewsSt_Pollock

Post COVID capacity. on 11:53 - Aug 8 by connell10

I'm coming from a angle of someone who has been personally touched by it! It's so easy just to write about something you have no experience of. If it effects you in a bad way you will soon change your tune.

I know friends with young families who are suffering because they've been made redundant...

We can all play top trumps with this but the reality is that we've ruined the lives of far more people by ruining the economy than COVID ever could.
Post COVID capacity. on 12:31 - Aug 8 with 1500 viewsGaryT

Post COVID capacity. on 12:06 - Aug 8 by St_Pollock

I know friends with young families who are suffering because they've been made redundant...

We can all play top trumps with this but the reality is that we've ruined the lives of far more people by ruining the economy than COVID ever could.

Prove it.
Post COVID capacity. on 12:53 - Aug 8 with 1463 viewskensalriser

LfW needs another sociopathic gobshite like it needs another home gob-bumming by Brentford. Time for the ignore button.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Post COVID capacity. on 13:01 - Aug 8 with 1445 viewsBklynRanger

I suppose getting back on topic is out of the question?
Post COVID capacity. on 13:41 - Aug 8 with 1398 viewsPinnerPaul

Post COVID capacity. on 11:56 - Aug 7 by stowmarketrange

Whilst not wanting to start another corona thread over this,I don’t agree with a couple of the last posts on this thread.
I know that people should have the choice on some of the things they do,this virus doesn’t just affect the person who has it.Would it be acceptable for someone to die of covid because someone else wanted to see the Qpr v Luton game?

We should all have a duty to care for ourselves,the people we know and also the people we don’t know.Until there is some sort of vaccine or cure for this virus we shouldn’t be allowed to do whatever we want just because we want to.

So no public gatherings of any kind in case someone might die?

If vaccine or 'cure' - whatever that means - what about all the other diseases you COULD pick up by attending, let alone all the accidents that could happen on the way to the ground.

That is where I have a problem - we do not and never have lived a risk free life, yet now people want to eliminate ALL risk before returning to normal life -apart from the economic side- who wants to live like that?
Post COVID capacity. on 13:45 - Aug 8 with 1393 viewsPinnerPaul

Post COVID capacity. on 12:18 - Aug 7 by stowmarketrange

The countries that seem to have controlled the virus best seem to be those countries that have really enforced the lockdown.I gather countries like Thailand,South Korea and Vietnam appear to have controlled it.I’m sure they might have as many old and vulnerable people as we have, but maybe by people being forced to do the right things for themselves and their communities,it might be better for everyone.
There appears to be a bit of a localised spike in Aberdeen because people were allowed to do more than they maybe should’ve been allowed to.Or maybe it was just bad luck?

No offence taken mate as it’s good to offer different opinions,but I wouldn’t personally feel safe going to football at the moment,but that is only my view.

I respect others views obviously, and like many I was concerned by the Aberdeen spike, until read it was 59 cases.

Population 250,000.

If that DOES worry you, fine but just saying think we need to look beyond the media headlines at times.
Post COVID capacity. on 13:52 - Aug 8 with 1385 viewsPinnerPaul

Post COVID capacity. on 19:16 - Aug 7 by kensalriser

How many more corpses would you like to see before you take it seriously?

That is a ridiculous post.

Over 10,000 die every year in road accidents - how many more do YOU want to die before you stop driving/getting in a vehicle?

Its the same thing - we live with risk all the time - no one is 'right' or 'wrong' its about what individuals are happy with, just expecting the world to stop is unrealistic.

What are we waiting for

a) Cure - think someone posted very few diseases are ever 'cured'/wiped out
b) Vaccine - We have one for 'normal' flu - up to 20,000 die every year
c) Lytham put no spectators until May 2021 - what happens then?
Post COVID capacity. on 14:04 - Aug 8 with 1354 viewsPinnerPaul

Post COVID capacity. on 01:27 - Aug 8 by GaryT

@St Pollok

edit, typo

Each to their own but posting that 'most people will get it if countries do nothing' is just daft.

Thousands and thousands would die if we did not have a normal flu vaccine, if we had no drugs, hospitals or medical facilities at all mots of the country would be ill - its a nonsense statement.

There is a long long long long way from 'doing nothing' to the current restrictions and that includes restrictions around football.

Just humour me for a minute and go on the EFL or FA web sites and read the rules around football taking place - there are pages and pages and pages of them and that's WITHOUT spectators - to imply that allowing spectators back with huge restrictions is acting without care or irresponsibly just isn't true - at least not in the apocalypse now scenario you paint it as.
Post COVID capacity. on 14:10 - Aug 8 with 1341 viewsstowmarketrange

Post COVID capacity. on 13:41 - Aug 8 by PinnerPaul

So no public gatherings of any kind in case someone might die?

If vaccine or 'cure' - whatever that means - what about all the other diseases you COULD pick up by attending, let alone all the accidents that could happen on the way to the ground.

That is where I have a problem - we do not and never have lived a risk free life, yet now people want to eliminate ALL risk before returning to normal life -apart from the economic side- who wants to live like that?

I didn’t say that.What I’d like to see is a managed return to some kind of normality.A lot of football fans might not see the dangers of a few pints in the pub then a game of football,where the rules don’t apply for some.
Who is going to enforce the rules?The stewards don’t enforce the ground rules as they were,let alone the increased importance of enforcing the new temporary ones.Why would they want to bother when they’re paid the bare minimum.

And how would having a crowd of 5,000 pay the increased costs incurred in stewarding and other normal matchday expenditure that playing behind closed doors doesn’t incur?

Life is a series of gambles from the cradle to the grave,but you won’t just be gambling with your own life in returning to watching football live,it might lead to someone you know becoming infected.I’m not ready to take that risk yet.But obviously some are.
Post COVID capacity. on 14:38 - Aug 8 with 1278 viewsLythamR

Post COVID capacity. on 13:52 - Aug 8 by PinnerPaul

Over 10,000 die every year in road accidents - how many more do YOU want to die before you stop driving/getting in a vehicle?

Its the same thing - we live with risk all the time - no one is 'right' or 'wrong' its about what individuals are happy with, just expecting the world to stop is unrealistic.

What are we waiting for

"its about what individuals are happy with"

I think that argument is wrong in this case because an individuals choices can have a significant impact on society in general.

its not like the risk of driving a car, that can seriously impact a few people directly but it doesnt mean the number of accidents could grow exponentially.

the problem i see with football grounds is the entrances, bars concourses more so that the actual seating itself, the concourse space in SAR is pathetic and the Loft isnt much better, do we have games with no refreshments and the bars closed? I think its a very difficult and complex issue which is maybe impossible to resolve until we have infection levels way down and have an effective efficient track and trace system in place
Post COVID capacity. on 14:48 - Aug 8 with 1259 viewsstowmarketrange

Post COVID capacity. on 14:38 - Aug 8 by LythamR

I think that argument is wrong in this case because an individuals choices can have a significant impact on society in general.

its not like the risk of driving a car, that can seriously impact a few people directly but it doesnt mean the number of accidents could grow exponentially.

the problem i see with football grounds is the entrances, bars concourses more so that the actual seating itself, the concourse space in SAR is pathetic and the Loft isnt much better, do we have games with no refreshments and the bars closed? I think its a very difficult and complex issue which is maybe impossible to resolve until we have infection levels way down and have an effective efficient track and trace system in place

THe blue and white club is being used as an away dressing room at the minute,so that would mean the lower loft would probably have to be closed,unless they can get changed on the coach like the old school football matches.
How would they sort out the toilets to make them covid compliant?Is washing your hands with soap in lukewarm water enough?
There seem to be more questions than answers at the minute.
[Post edited 8 Aug 2020 14:49]
Post COVID capacity. on 15:02 - Aug 8 with 1240 viewsPinnerPaul

Post COVID capacity. on 14:10 - Aug 8 by stowmarketrange

I didn’t say that.What I’d like to see is a managed return to some kind of normality.A lot of football fans might not see the dangers of a few pints in the pub then a game of football,where the rules don’t apply for some.
Who is going to enforce the rules?The stewards don’t enforce the ground rules as they were,let alone the increased importance of enforcing the new temporary ones.Why would they want to bother when they’re paid the bare minimum.

And how would having a crowd of 5,000 pay the increased costs incurred in stewarding and other normal matchday expenditure that playing behind closed doors doesn’t incur?

Life is a series of gambles from the cradle to the grave,but you won’t just be gambling with your own life in returning to watching football live,it might lead to someone you know becoming infected.I’m not ready to take that risk yet.But obviously some are.

Fair enough SR.

You are spot on when you say it should be a 'managed return to normality' - for some that will be too slow, for some too fast - its about making up your own mind.

Glad you acknowledge that life pre covid was a risk and life post covid will be a risk - some of the views expressed seem to ignore that - that's my main beef.
Post COVID capacity. on 15:05 - Aug 8 with 1230 viewsPinnerPaul

Post COVID capacity. on 14:38 - Aug 8 by LythamR

Fair enough Lytham, sorry if I took your earlier post the wrong way.

Agree it IS complex, its difficult for everyone from the government, to the football authorities(in this case) to us trying to make up our own minds.

That last part is still the key to me - obviously within the guidelines in place - never advocated we should all do what we like as some, not you, have implied.
Post COVID capacity. on 16:43 - Aug 8 with 1140 viewsNewBee

Post COVID capacity. on 13:01 - Aug 8 by BklynRanger

I suppose getting back on topic is out of the question?

According to someone in the Brentford Ticket Office last week, BFC are expecting that we will start the season at Lionel Road with games played behind closed doors.

It is then hoped we will be allowed 25% capacity (4,300) from October.

Didn't say anything about what happens next, but presumably it's linked to how the virus is going generally, with specific reference to football's experience.

Seeing as how BFC have now sold 11k Season Tickets, incl almost all of the 3k Premium Seats, I wouldn't like to be in charge of deciding who gets and who doesn't. (Well other than making sure I do. Obviously)
Post COVID capacity. on 16:48 - Aug 8 with 1123 viewscolinallcars

Post COVID capacity. on 13:52 - Aug 8 by PinnerPaul

What are we waiting for

20,000 die of seasonal flu - presumably these were people that did not receive the flu vaccine.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024