Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Who still uses the milkman. 19:27 - Nov 9 with 8353 viewsqpr_1968

very rarely see a milk float these days.
remember our order when we were kids.......
1 bottle of sterilised
2 cows milk.....still with the cream on the top, if the crows had'nt got to it first.
1 bottle of orange
in proper glass bottles.
wednesdays and saturdays.
the milk float came from the depot in goldhawk road, the co op.
used to have a saturday morning job with them back in 1974/75.

and the coalman.....who still uses the coalman.
used to have a coal shute in what we called the skullery come kitchen, and that was in the suttons off dalgarno gardens.

Poll: how many games this season....home/away.

Who still uses the milkman. on 19:33 - Nov 9 with 5122 viewsNorthernr

Delivered to your door in an electric vehicle in a recycled bottle. It does rather feel like one of those instances where we’ve gone backwards.

Very hip and on trend in London now atm, we’ve had a leaflet through the door from a guy starting a round.
Who still uses the milkman. on 19:42 - Nov 9 with 5094 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

My mum arranged for her and dad's milk to be delivered a few years back. Dad was reluctant as it's a bit more expensive but went along with it. They deliver all kinds of things you might not think. I had mum order me some multi-purpose compost last year.

Poll: Expectations for this season?

Who still uses the milkman. on 19:43 - Nov 9 with 5088 viewsHantsR

We had a very famous local one, who had a girlfriend Sue who lived at 22 Linley Lane. Unfortunately, his rival Ted, from Teddington, who drove the baker's van got the better of him and he is no more.
Who still uses the milkman. on 19:45 - Nov 9 with 5081 viewsAntti_Heinola

Milk and More milkmen deliver all over the country - they've been on their way back for years, we went back to it about 2 years ago, and it's been great and think they had a lot more business start in lockdown too.
Highly recommend it.

Bare bones.

Who still uses the milkman. on 19:48 - Nov 9 with 5066 viewsqueensparker

We do in Kensal Green - started it cos we had two babies and it was properly handy, carried it on ever since. He’s doing well more signing up all the time
Who still uses the milkman. on 19:53 - Nov 9 with 5052 viewsted_hendrix

We used to have milk delivered in the West Berkshire village we recently lived in between 02.00 and 03.00 every Tues/Thu and Saturday morning, our village was about 4 miles West of Newbury and our village was the first port of call as the milkman worked his way back to the depot in Newbury.
When I was a nipper in London we did have a coal bunker but couldn't afford coal maybe more than three times a year.

We had second hand paraffin heaters and the paraffin was delivered on the back of a bowser, the delivery man used to pump it into a 5 gallon can and it was my job to keep the paraffin heaters 'topped up' in the house, if any of the heaters used to run out of paraffin it used to knacker the wick and my old man would go apeshit, take his belt off and chase me round the house.
The paraffin heaters only run out of paraffin once.

Esso Blue.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Who still uses the milkman. on 19:56 - Nov 9 with 5046 viewsqpr_1968

Who still uses the milkman. on 19:53 - Nov 9 by ted_hendrix

We used to have milk delivered in the West Berkshire village we recently lived in between 02.00 and 03.00 every Tues/Thu and Saturday morning, our village was about 4 miles West of Newbury and our village was the first port of call as the milkman worked his way back to the depot in Newbury.
When I was a nipper in London we did have a coal bunker but couldn't afford coal maybe more than three times a year.

We had second hand paraffin heaters and the paraffin was delivered on the back of a bowser, the delivery man used to pump it into a 5 gallon can and it was my job to keep the paraffin heaters 'topped up' in the house, if any of the heaters used to run out of paraffin it used to knacker the wick and my old man would go apeshit, take his belt off and chase me round the house.

Esso Blue.

yeah the old paraffin heaters as well.
used to get our paraffin from a little garage in dalgarno gardens, still there.

Poll: how many games this season....home/away.

Who still uses the milkman. on 20:11 - Nov 9 with 5024 viewsloftboy

Used to wait for ours to go up the only high rise in Bracknell and Rob all the corona out the back.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Login to get fewer ads

Who still uses the milkman. on 21:12 - Nov 9 with 4938 viewsSnipper

At the start of the lockdown in March, we signed up to have our milk delivered from the local farm. Twice a week we have 2 x 2 litre bottles delivered at 6am.

Would never go back to supermarket milk.
Who still uses the milkman. on 21:38 - Nov 9 with 4902 viewsLowerloftLad

another milk and more customer here cant fault the company my daughter enjoys her fresh orange juice on a Saturday aswell

Ohhhhhh bobby zamora

Who still uses the milkman. on 22:34 - Nov 9 with 4823 viewsLoftgirl

Who still uses the milkman. on 19:43 - Nov 9 by HantsR

We had a very famous local one, who had a girlfriend Sue who lived at 22 Linley Lane. Unfortunately, his rival Ted, from Teddington, who drove the baker's van got the better of him and he is no more.

Didn't Ted end up marrying Sue?
Who still uses the milkman. on 22:35 - Nov 9 with 4819 viewsBoston

Who still uses the milkman. on 20:11 - Nov 9 by loftboy

Used to wait for ours to go up the only high rise in Bracknell and Rob all the corona out the back.

Light fingered this Rob I take it?

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Who still uses the milkman. on 22:38 - Nov 9 with 4814 viewscolinallcars

I remember oppo fans singing

Where's yer wife gone, where's yer wife gone, where's yer wife gone Stanley Bowles ?
Wiv the milkman, wiv the milkman, wiv the milkman Stanley Bowles

To the tune of My Darling Clementine.

Happy days.
Who still uses the milkman. on 22:39 - Nov 9 with 4810 viewsQPRSteve

Every Saturday when the milkman came round to collect his money, my mum would buy me and my sister a Mikki chocolate milk drink each. Used to love those.

Had a mate who spent his life searching for something similar and eventually found it in Belgium. Only bloke Know who would go on a day trip to the Continent and come back with crates of chocolate drinks rather than booze.

Anyone else remember the Mikki>
Who still uses the milkman. on 22:44 - Nov 9 with 4798 viewsBoston

Braziers Dairy, top of Elmstead Ave, tucked in behind the shops on Preston Rd.

What about the ‘fertilser / manure’ for the garden, lorry(horse drawn cart when I was real young), smell ‘em up the other end of East Lane, crikey! Two blokes running door to door(people in Wembley used to garden back then), another bloke driving a truck load of turd, my old man would have a couple of barrows as he was big into growing yer own veg.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Who still uses the milkman. on 23:47 - Nov 9 with 4742 viewsCiderwithRsie

Esso Blue.

bom bom bom bom.
Who still uses the milkman. on 08:17 - Nov 10 with 4619 viewsRs_Holy

yep... been using a milkman for about 3 years now... We even got some bog roll from them a few months ago when none of the supermarkets had any.
We've been trying to bypass supermarkets as much as poss so we get bread from the local bakers, meat direct from a farmer, seasonal veg deliveries every week.
Who still uses the milkman. on 08:25 - Nov 10 with 4608 viewsMetallica_Hoop

"What's that grandad?" Prophetic.

[Post edited 10 Nov 2020 8:26]

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Who still uses the milkman. on 08:42 - Nov 10 with 4580 viewsrobith

Can vouch for Parker dairies for anyone in the Walthamstow/Chingford area. Only had to stop cos I was spending a fortune on sausages
Who still uses the milkman. on 08:45 - Nov 10 with 4578 viewsGalileo

Big business back in the day, some dairies even moved into TV advertising

"Watch out there's a Humphrey about"
Who still uses the milkman. on 09:09 - Nov 10 with 4546 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

Who still uses the milkman. on 08:45 - Nov 10 by Galileo

Big business back in the day, some dairies even moved into TV advertising

"Watch out there's a Humphrey about"

Think there was even a football 'Milk Cup' in this country.

Yes. Just looked it up from 1981 to 1985 apparently

Poll: Expectations for this season?

Who still uses the milkman. on 09:14 - Nov 10 with 4533 viewshoopsmark

Esso Blue.

Which village Ted....?

I used to work at Elcot Park in the 90s...halfway Inn my local....
Who still uses the milkman. on 09:39 - Nov 10 with 4502 viewsGloryHunter

Who still uses the milkman. on 19:33 - Nov 9 by Northernr

Delivered to your door in an electric vehicle in a recycled bottle. It does rather feel like one of those instances where we’ve gone backwards.

Very hip and on trend in London now atm, we’ve had a leaflet through the door from a guy starting a round.

Trolley buses were electric vehicles too. Quiet and non-polluting (at the point of use, anyway). We have indeed gone backwards.
Who still uses the milkman. on 09:43 - Nov 10 with 4489 viewshantssi

Who still uses the milkman. on 19:45 - Nov 9 by Antti_Heinola

Milk and More milkmen deliver all over the country - they've been on their way back for years, we went back to it about 2 years ago, and it's been great and think they had a lot more business start in lockdown too.
Highly recommend it.

We’ve been using them for years now, during first lockdown existing customers got preferential treatment when it came to “extras” like bread, eggs etc.
Slightly more expensive than the supermarkets but much more convenient.
Who still uses the milkman. on 09:47 - Nov 10 with 4477 viewsMick_S

We used to have these call by down our road in Northolt:

I can still remember the lovely smell of the coal. Our milkman was a top bloke as he used to let us ride along side him on his float.

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024