Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
It’s official 13:51 - Jan 15 with 4176 viewsstowmarketrange

So now let the media love in begin.Wayne has officially retired and been appointed Direby manager.
It’s official on 18:03 - Jan 16 with 993 viewsTGRRRSSS

It’s official on 13:08 - Jan 16 by paulparker

Don’t get the hate for Rooney , a brilliant player, who was top scorer for United & England, he liked an old bird and a fag but so what, one of the best English players over the past 30 years , better than Robson, Gazza, Lampard , Beckham , Beardsley, Barnes , waddle, Owen, shame he isn’t a part of this current England side imo

DOn't agree he was as good as Gazza or Beardsley in their day, or Owen for that matter.

Hard to compare exactly, I agree some of the hate for him is Man United related, and frankly the amiunt of times he didn't do it for England, alot of goals came against poor opposition or in friendlies.

That said he was a class player but his flaws - more eating and drinking related (but not too extremes, meant he couldn't be in the very top echelon - but still he achieved a alot, but I personally feel his England stats look more impressive on paper than the really were.

2010 World Cup was a good example, went on holiday before hand and put a load of weight on he couldn't shake off until the autumn when he was flying again for United.

That was a bit unprofessional.
It’s official on 19:06 - Jan 16 with 908 viewsTomS

In 1990/91, before his infamous injury at Wembley, Gazza was by far and away the best player in the First Division. He was never the same player after that.

I remember watching a home nil all draw against Spurs that season, and he was just on another level to everyone else on the pitch.

So while Rooney broke all the records over his career, I don't believe he was as good as Gazza at his peak, at any point in time.
It’s official on 19:28 - Jan 16 with 868 viewsManinBlack

It’s official on 19:06 - Jan 16 by TomS

In 1990/91, before his infamous injury at Wembley, Gazza was by far and away the best player in the First Division. He was never the same player after that.

I remember watching a home nil all draw against Spurs that season, and he was just on another level to everyone else on the pitch.

So while Rooney broke all the records over his career, I don't believe he was as good as Gazza at his peak, at any point in time.

Yes and as a paying football fan Gazza was more entertaining the way he played the game with a smile as opposed to Rooney's scowl. Also Gazza would have a laugh with the referee whereas Rooney was constantly nagging the ref trying to referee the game and influence decisions. So yes Rooney wins more accolades and honours but Gazza was a better genius on the ball.

A lot of this reminds me of the rivalry between Stan and Malcolm Macdonald. It was true Supermac was a better goalscorer and played for bigger clubs and won more England caps. But Stan was always right that he had more skill and was a bigger entertainer on the pitch and people would prefer to watch him. And he could pull more birds too...
It’s official on 21:36 - Jan 16 with 807 viewsBoston

It’s official on 17:36 - Jan 16 by ManinBlack

Gazza played for Newcastle, Spurs, Lazio, not exactly clubs that dominate their leagues. When do Newcastle win anything?

Rooney spent most of his time playing for a dominant Fergie led Man Utd, one of the biggest clubs in the world. On that basis he was always going to win more trophies than Gazza who also had the handicap of being a maverick. Those type of players don't go down well with many managers. Look at Stan Bowles when it came to England caps.

Shearer was a top striker as was Ferdinand but they never played for Man United to win more trophies.

It is a subjective argument who was better. You can say Messi was the best ever but others will say he was only great for Barcelona and therefore Ronaldo is better because he produced the goods in three different countries for United, Real Madrid and Juventus.
[Post edited 16 Jan 2021 17:39]

Fairly decent for Argentina as well though.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

It’s official on 21:40 - Jan 16 with 799 viewsqprrunner

It’s official on 14:30 - Jan 16 by QPR_John

It might be unfair on Rooney but I think it comes from the medias love affair with him. As good as he might be he was never on the level the media made out.

As a teenager he was. Leading up to Euro 2004 he was on the same level as Ronaldo. Peaked at 21.
It’s official on 21:42 - Jan 16 with 793 viewsLythamR

It’s official on 19:06 - Jan 16 by TomS

Absolutely

I am amazed there is even a serious discussion about Rooney being better than Gazza
It’s official on 21:42 - Jan 16 with 792 viewsBeauRanger

Rooney out...
It’s official on 22:02 - Jan 16 with 777 viewspaulparker

It’s official on 18:03 - Jan 16 by TGRRRSSS

DOn't agree he was as good as Gazza or Beardsley in their day, or Owen for that matter.

Hard to compare exactly, I agree some of the hate for him is Man United related, and frankly the amiunt of times he didn't do it for England, alot of goals came against poor opposition or in friendlies.

That said he was a class player but his flaws - more eating and drinking related (but not too extremes, meant he couldn't be in the very top echelon - but still he achieved a alot, but I personally feel his England stats look more impressive on paper than the really were.

2010 World Cup was a good example, went on holiday before hand and put a load of weight on he couldn't shake off until the autumn when he was flying again for United.

That was a bit unprofessional.

Gazza only had 5 decent seasons , Rooney had about 11, yeah could of looked after himself better but Gazza should of as well
Rooney is the best English player I’ve seen in in nearly 37 years of watching football
He could of played in any position , such a shame he wasn’t in this England team in his prime
Rooney carried the England team between 2006 to 2010

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Login to get fewer ads

It’s official on 22:49 - Jan 16 with 745 viewsManinBlack

It’s official on 21:36 - Jan 16 by Boston

Fairly decent for Argentina as well though.

True but Ronaldo also decent for Portugal and they won the Euro's.
It’s official on 22:57 - Jan 16 with 729 viewsDannyPaddox

Images of Wayne Rooney’s new hair-transplant weave-graft are causing a stir on social media. But the former England star and new Derby boss exclusively told The Belper Evening Post the look is intentional and not an adverse reaction to a recently administered Covid-19 vaccine as had been claimed on social instagram. Asked how he was illegible for the vaccine he claimed he qualified as he regularly spends a lot of time caring for vulnerable grandmothers both in the North-West and Midland’s areas. Derby were earlier bleaten 1-0.
[Post edited 17 Jan 2021 7:22]
It’s official on 23:23 - Jan 16 with 698 viewsTW_R

It’s official on 22:02 - Jan 16 by paulparker

Gazza only had 5 decent seasons , Rooney had about 11, yeah could of looked after himself better but Gazza should of as well
Rooney is the best English player I’ve seen in in nearly 37 years of watching football
He could of played in any position , such a shame he wasn’t in this England team in his prime
Rooney carried the England team between 2006 to 2010

Outside of the sending off against Portugal I’m struggling to remember anything of note Rooney did in any major tournament between those years. He was a sensation in Euro 2004 but that was it as far as I can remember for major tournaments.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024