Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
DIY painting advice 18:41 - Jan 22 with 2721 viewsBlackCrowe

Just had a new front fence put up. It's treated but i'd hoped to paint it with primer and two coats of paint this weekend. But friends are saying it's too cold to do it (forecast for tomorrow is dry, sunny and 3 degrees)....are they right or can i get away with it?

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

DIY painting advice on 19:06 - Jan 22 with 2364 viewsted_hendrix

Long time since I looked at an external paint spec but it used to be 2 degrees above and rising.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

DIY painting advice on 19:40 - Jan 22 with 2305 viewsDavieQPR

The fence must be dry (obviously) and anything under 5 degrees will stop the paint from drying.
DIY painting advice on 19:50 - Jan 22 with 2277 viewsToast_R

Might snow on Sunday, leave it and have some beers
DIY painting advice on 20:39 - Jan 22 with 2182 viewsMyke

It's not even so much the day time temp that is the problem. Likely to drop below freezing at night so any paint will just flake off. If it' treated it is absolutely safe. Leave it until about April for primer and first coat. The second coat in August /September, to protect it for following winter.
DIY painting advice on 20:40 - Jan 22 with 2189 viewsquickpassrotter

I think that unless you are desperate to do the paint job on the fence now, I would leave it until it gets a bit warmer and holds for a few days - that probably means March or a little bit later. Also, a lot more of a pleasant experience then.
DIY painting advice on 23:20 - Jan 22 with 2042 viewsstowmarketrange

I think you should forget about it until it’s starting to rot in a few years time.Then either replace it or move.
DIY painting advice on 01:28 - Jan 23 with 1991 viewsBoston

Puts on contractor hat...treated, as in pressure? Really, painting is a mistake, staining is the way to go and, you should let those chemicals dry out.A year is preferable, but a few months of decent sunshine can prevent wasted money.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

DIY painting advice on 02:31 - Jan 23 with 1955 viewsFredManRave

Paint it before tomorrows game. That way after watching the first half you have the option of watching the rest of the game or the paint dry.

#sophieschoice

I've got the Power.
Poll: MOM from todays Teasing at Teesside?

Login to get fewer ads

DIY painting advice on 09:01 - Jan 23 with 1846 views2Thomas2Bowles

Take it down and build a wall.

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

DIY painting advice on 10:08 - Jan 23 with 1802 viewsrrrspricey

DIY painting advice on 23:20 - Jan 22 by stowmarketrange

I think you should forget about it until it’s starting to rot in a few years time.Then either replace it or move.

This /

Fųck diy, life's too short
DIY painting advice on 10:53 - Jan 23 with 1762 viewsRanger_Things

DIY painting advice on 01:28 - Jan 23 by Boston

Puts on contractor hat...treated, as in pressure? Really, painting is a mistake, staining is the way to go and, you should let those chemicals dry out.A year is preferable, but a few months of decent sunshine can prevent wasted money.

Yep, I'd give it 6 months and then use a spray gun. Paint brushing fences is a ballache.
DIY painting advice on 11:15 - Jan 23 with 1734 viewsstowmarketrange

DIY painting advice on 10:53 - Jan 23 by Ranger_Things

Yep, I'd give it 6 months and then use a spray gun. Paint brushing fences is a ballache.

Its just about bearable on a hot summers day,in shorts and with a few cold beers.Or when rain has stopped play in the cricket,but never,never on a cold January day.
DIY painting advice on 11:19 - Jan 23 with 1718 viewsPaddyhoops

DIY painting advice on 20:39 - Jan 22 by Myke

It's not even so much the day time temp that is the problem. Likely to drop below freezing at night so any paint will just flake off. If it' treated it is absolutely safe. Leave it until about April for primer and first coat. The second coat in August /September, to protect it for following winter.

Sounds like my covid vaccine. Jab in April .
2nd in August. To protect for following winter
DIY painting advice on 11:24 - Jan 23 with 1708 viewsEastR

Rules to live your life by no. 174:

No outdoor painting before the clocks go forward or after they go back.

Poll: Is time up for Ainsworth?

DIY painting advice on 11:26 - Jan 23 with 1694 viewsted_hendrix

DIY painting advice on 11:24 - Jan 23 by EastR

Rules to live your life by no. 174:

No outdoor painting before the clocks go forward or after they go back.

Rules to live your life by no. 175:

Pay some other bastard to do it.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

DIY painting advice on 13:50 - Jan 23 with 1611 viewshantssi

DIY painting advice on 11:26 - Jan 23 by ted_hendrix

Rules to live your life by no. 175:

Pay some other bastard to do it.

This!!
DIY painting advice on 18:05 - Jan 23 with 1516 viewsstowmarketrange

DIY painting advice on 13:50 - Jan 23 by hantssi

This!!

And think of the good deed you’ve done by keeping a small business going,while you drink more beer watching them earn their money.Whats not to like about that?
DIY painting advice on 18:36 - Jan 23 with 1496 viewsToast_R

A patch of my kitchen ceiling started dripping water on Friday. After some investigation I found a small leak on the outlet pipe in the upstairs toilet. Pulled up the vinyl floor tiles behind the pan to discover some rather rotted floorboards. Pulled them up to discover the rivers of Babylon. Must have been dripping water for kin ages and I'd not realised. Long drying out process now.

Whole new toilet needed, new floor, the f'ing lot. Down B&Q today buying a new throne and a huge sheet of ply for the flooring. You dont need it do ya?
[Post edited 23 Jan 2021 18:38]
DIY painting advice on 18:44 - Jan 23 with 1480 viewspaulparker

DIY painting advice on 18:36 - Jan 23 by Toast_R

A patch of my kitchen ceiling started dripping water on Friday. After some investigation I found a small leak on the outlet pipe in the upstairs toilet. Pulled up the vinyl floor tiles behind the pan to discover some rather rotted floorboards. Pulled them up to discover the rivers of Babylon. Must have been dripping water for kin ages and I'd not realised. Long drying out process now.

Whole new toilet needed, new floor, the f'ing lot. Down B&Q today buying a new throne and a huge sheet of ply for the flooring. You dont need it do ya?

Still a better afternoon than watching QPR vs Derby

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

DIY painting advice on 19:04 - Jan 23 with 1459 viewsMyke

DIY painting advice on 18:36 - Jan 23 by Toast_R

You were lucky kitchen ceiling didn't collapse
DIY painting advice on 20:44 - Jan 23 with 1410 viewsToast_R

DIY painting advice on 19:04 - Jan 23 by Myke

You were lucky kitchen ceiling didn't collapse

Yeah I know. The extra bugger is the kitchen ceiling is that horrible artex which is going to be nigh on imposs to touch up without re-doing that too. Any plasterers on here?
DIY painting advice on 21:06 - Jan 23 with 1388 viewszicoshoops

Granted, I’m sitting here severely on the Ale, but........
Whenever you paint the bugger.
Don’t paint it from the top down.
Start from the bottom and work your way to the top.

I know it sounds silly, but......
If you start from the top, any runs you get, you will never be able to remove.

At my age?
Talking about fences?
Years ago, I used to talk about football and women.

What’s going on?

We should be told

Sort it out

P.S.
Use a four inch brush.
DIY painting advice on 23:16 - Jan 23 with 1326 viewsdezzar

DIY painting advice on 10:08 - Jan 23 by rrrspricey

This /

Fųck diy, life's too short

This x 2
DIY painting advice on 11:06 - Jan 24 with 1217 viewsGloryHunter

Painting a garden fence is a waste of time and materials. Creosote it or else do nothing.
DIY painting advice on 13:56 - Jan 24 with 1172 viewsPaddyhoops

DIY painting advice on 20:44 - Jan 23 by Toast_R

Yeah I know. The extra bugger is the kitchen ceiling is that horrible artex which is going to be nigh on imposs to touch up without re-doing that too. Any plasterers on here?

One here. Best bet is plaster board over you existing ceiling. Re skim.
Depending on how big your kitchen . They shouldn't charge you the earth.
Good luck.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024