Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
robith's 21/22 Promotion/Relegation Index Thread 16:29 - Nov 4 with 23307 viewsrobith

Hello Fellow Rs,

Some of you may remember from years gone by I have run a thread where we track our chances of making promotion, and inevitably how many points we need to avoid relegation.

I had to stop making it just before COVID, as I had my laptop stolen which had the valuable excel sheet stuck on it.

Well, what I can tell you is OneDrive is a magical thing. It has been in the cloud all this time!

I have fixed it up and updated it for the season to date, so prepare to join me on the journey!

Historical Precedent

The average points needed to make the playoffs over the last 7 years is 75
The average points needed to avoid relegation over the last 7 years is 46

Handily the median for both is also 75 and 46, meaning there isn't one season warping our numbers

Plays offs there fore = 1.57 points per game
Survival = 0.97 points per game

Our current trajectory is 1.562 PPG, with a forecast points total of 72

If we convert this to an index, where 1 is hitting the target needed

Play Off Index 0.99
Survival Index 1.61

We are in an around the PPG total we need, but our current points trajectory only gets us to the play offs once in the last 7 years.

Now obviously we need a real world comparison too. Usually around the half way point of the season when the table is a bit more fixed, I'll start to compare each week vs the team in 6th and 21st and their trajectory.

Bossing last season, though obviously we had a pretty rough 1st half of the season

This shows our forecast points based on PPG by week and where it would've got us last season. As you can see historically we'd need to get just a little better to get over 75 to be in with a shot

TL;DR - we're in the mix for sure, but at the 5/6th marker rather than guaranteed play offs.

I'll update weekly(ish)
[Post edited 8 Nov 2021 10:32]
robith's 20/21 Promotion/Relegation Index Thread on 16:29 - Nov 4 with 8812 viewsrobith

In before the "I don't get it" replies - just lean back, and trust in the index
robith's 20/21 Promotion/Relegation Index Thread on 17:28 - Nov 4 with 8700 viewsOldPedro

I enjoyed this when you've done it previously so thanks for bringing it back.

One thing - shouldn't the title be 21/22 rather than 20/21?

Extra mature cheddar......a simple cheese for a simple man

robith's 20/21 Promotion/Relegation Index Thread on 17:40 - Nov 4 with 8657 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

You'll get some graph hate for this but not from me! Love it.

All I want to know is, will I have to pay PaulParker £500 or not?
robith's 20/21 Promotion/Relegation Index Thread on 18:01 - Nov 4 with 8619 viewsrobith

robith's 20/21 Promotion/Relegation Index Thread on 17:28 - Nov 4 by OldPedro

I enjoyed this when you've done it previously so thanks for bringing it back.

One thing - shouldn't the title be 21/22 rather than 20/21?

Great spot. Honestly, I've been going through the league tables of previous years today and I don't know which way is up
robith's 21/22 Promotion/Relegation Index Thread on 18:32 - Nov 4 with 8525 viewsCiderwithRsie

Yay!

Delighted to see this back, I loved it when you've done this before. Thanks for putting in the work
robith's 21/22 Promotion/Relegation Index Thread on 21:39 - Nov 4 with 8360 viewsHunterhoop

Rob, do any of your media buddies know you do this? Is this your little dirty secret; you love an excel graph?
robith's 21/22 Promotion/Relegation Index Thread on 21:43 - Nov 4 with 8352 viewsNorthernr

So pleased this is back. Same day as the John Lewis advert. Coca Cola truck advert, QPR December collapse, and then the January "are we in danger of actually going down?" thread and then it'll be spring again. You R's.
robith's 21/22 Promotion/Relegation Index Thread on 22:30 - Nov 4 with 8284 viewsMyke

Genuinely not trying to be derogative (except maybe to myself) but all I see is squiggly lines. I might write a poem about it though!!
Login to get fewer ads

robith's 21/22 Promotion/Relegation Index Thread on 23:20 - Nov 4 with 8221 viewsrobith

robith's 21/22 Promotion/Relegation Index Thread on 22:30 - Nov 4 by Myke

Genuinely not trying to be derogative (except maybe to myself) but all I see is squiggly lines. I might write a poem about it though!!

Summary: QPR stonks go up
robith's 21/22 Promotion/Relegation Index Thread on 23:22 - Nov 4 with 8220 viewsrobith

robith's 21/22 Promotion/Relegation Index Thread on 21:39 - Nov 4 by Hunterhoop

Rob, do any of your media buddies know you do this? Is this your little dirty secret; you love an excel graph?

Haha all media planning is excel (or at least my disciplines).

Today I taught curve optimisation using Eurovision as an example. I live for this. You should see my Cheltenham ante post pivot table
robith's 21/22 Promotion/Relegation Index Thread on 07:16 - Nov 5 with 8076 viewsnumptydumpty

You don't display the advantages and disadvantages of spread betting also, why you at it. Is that on similar lines ???

I know all gambling can be problematic but do know this spread betting can create massive wins or more to the point massive losses in short space of time.

You don't happen to work in finance robith ???

You certainly are an "EXCEL DIVA" !!!!

Lacking Pi Charts though - disappointed not to see my piece of the pie represented here - but please no, not of the PUKKA variety...
[Post edited 5 Nov 2021 7:17]

Walking in a "Mackie Wonderland"
Poll: Biggest Nobhead of the year

robith's 21/22 Promotion/Relegation Index Thread on 07:30 - Nov 5 with 8045 viewsnix

Thanks Robith

I really love this feature, as a bit of a statto myself, but without the mathematical smarts. I should imagine at this stage of the season with just over a third of games played, a few games could change our PPG quite a lot if we won three or lost three, for example?

It's wonderful to see us so far above the bottom line though.
robith's 21/22 Promotion/Relegation Index Thread on 07:41 - Nov 5 with 8024 viewstoboboly

robith's 21/22 Promotion/Relegation Index Thread on 23:22 - Nov 4 by robith

Today I taught curve optimisation using Eurovision as an example. I live for this. You should see my Cheltenham ante post pivot table

Bloody pivot tables.

Glad this is back, although tue inevitable decline of the ppg will lead me to hard drugs to anaesthetise the pain.

Sexy Asian dwarves wanted.

robith's 21/22 Promotion/Relegation Index Thread on 07:46 - Nov 5 with 8012 viewsMick_S

robith's 21/22 Promotion/Relegation Index Thread on 23:22 - Nov 4 by robith

Could you do me a Keithy Keif curve optimisation as I have thing ( non sexual) for him. Ta.

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

robith's 21/22 Promotion/Relegation Index Thread on 08:27 - Nov 5 with 7951 viewsloftboy

Having read it properly this morning I actually understated figures now!! Cheers Robith

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

robith's 21/22 Promotion/Relegation Index Thread on 08:36 - Nov 5 with 7935 viewsRs_Holy

robith's 21/22 Promotion/Relegation Index Thread on 21:43 - Nov 4 by Northernr

So pleased this is back. Same day as the John Lewis advert. Coca Cola truck advert, QPR December collapse, and then the January "are we in danger of actually going down?" thread and then it'll be spring again. You R's.

that made me laugh as I was thinking exactly the same thing!
robith's 21/22 Promotion/Relegation Index Thread on 10:00 - Nov 5 with 7860 viewsrobith

robith's 21/22 Promotion/Relegation Index Thread on 07:30 - Nov 5 by nix

Thanks Robith

I really love this feature, as a bit of a statto myself, but without the mathematical smarts. I should imagine at this stage of the season with just over a third of games played, a few games could change our PPG quite a lot if we won three or lost three, for example?

It's wonderful to see us so far above the bottom line though.

So because there's an upper limit to how many points you can get the upward variation is smaller than the lower

Here's last season (first two games removed as they obscure the pattern, have gamed the axis a bit to make the pattern more pronounced)

Probably a factor of our form but when we were losing it goes into free fall, but once we strong wins together, after a point the curve becomes gentler
robith's 21/22 Promotion/Relegation Index Thread on 10:26 - Nov 5 with 7818 viewsPlanetHonneywood

It's not the analysis that requires me to doth my sombrero in your general direction, but rather the consummate ease with which you explain it. Which of course, is the real skill.

In summary, I should have my digits ready to tap in the necessaries with the local flight operators come May.

Purely out of interest...that Cheltenham moneyball thingy of yours: does she yield?

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

robith's 21/22 Promotion/Relegation Index Thread on 11:21 - Nov 5 with 7760 viewsrobith

robith's 21/22 Promotion/Relegation Index Thread on 10:26 - Nov 5 by PlanetHonneywood

It's not the analysis that requires me to doth my sombrero in your general direction, but rather the consummate ease with which you explain it. Which of course, is the real skill.

In summary, I should have my digits ready to tap in the necessaries with the local flight operators come May.

Purely out of interest...that Cheltenham moneyball thingy of yours: does she yield?

I might delete this later for work reasons, but I always had fun with Cheltenham, but after one loss making one (nothing major, I'm a low stakes player, it had no material effect on my life other than "I was expecting to win lots of money") I decided I should take it a bit more seriously. So I'm a big trends guy, and related form. I also try to make a bit of a book using antepost prices to get bigger than SP and structure so i get a set return from a selection winning. Been doing that at 2020 and 2021 and netted +1,628 points profit (where 1 point is your standard stake) in those 2 years. Though this year was a bit of a fluke cos of COVID the fields were super small
robith's 21/22 Promotion/Relegation Index Thread on 14:24 - Nov 5 with 7670 viewshantssi

I pretty much get all this, but what is the axis on the rhs of the last graph?
[Post edited 5 Nov 2021 14:24]
robith's 21/22 Promotion/Relegation Index Thread on 14:46 - Nov 5 with 7625 viewskensalriser

I'm still trying to work out the y axis on the second chart.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

robith's 21/22 Promotion/Relegation Index Thread on 14:49 - Nov 5 with 7624 viewsrobith

RHS axis of the last chart is where you'd have finished last season with the number of forecasted points

Y axis on chart 2 is points total.

I'll label them in the next update
robith's 21/22 Promotion/Relegation Index Thread on 15:26 - Nov 5 with 7602 viewshantssi

robith's 21/22 Promotion/Relegation Index Thread on 14:49 - Nov 5 by robith

RHS axis of the last chart is where you'd have finished last season with the number of forecasted points

An right, I get it now thanks, it was the 0 to 25 that confused me!!
Perhaps I’m just not too smart!
robith's 21/22 Promotion/Relegation Index Thread on 17:14 - Nov 5 with 7519 viewskensalriser

robith's 21/22 Promotion/Relegation Index Thread on 14:49 - Nov 5 by robith

I'm sure I'm being dense, but if the y axis on the second chart is total points, how can it decrease in places?

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

robith's 21/22 Promotion/Relegation Index Thread on 21:12 - Nov 5 with 7439 viewsrobith

robith's 21/22 Promotion/Relegation Index Thread on 17:14 - Nov 5 by kensalriser

I'm sure I'm being dense, but if the y axis on the second chart is total points, how can it decrease in places?

Good point, must be the formula pulling through incorrectly. Will double check it on monday
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024