Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Pubs 21:40 - Dec 16 with 6356 viewsStanmiguel

Harrowing stories in the media .about pubs on the brink of insolvency due to reduced footfall because of the latest variant.
Personally I don't like beer but force it down to keep my mates at Fuller's going.
Seriously though, how are things in your local?
Pubs on 21:45 - Dec 16 with 4349 viewsstowmarketrange

What local?It closed down about 10 years ago and it’s now a Mexican shop where you can buy a poncho but not a pint.
Pubs on 21:48 - Dec 16 with 4328 viewsDavieQPR

Round my way we've lost 11 pubs and 3 clubs in the last 5 years. We now only have one of each. Even the Wetherspoons is now a Turkish restaurant. Most people round here don't drink or entertain at home. Well affected before Covid.
Pubs on 22:00 - Dec 16 with 4270 viewscolinallcars

The rolling English drunkard made the rolling English road… as the poet said.
England without pubs is the stuff of my nightmares.
Pubs on 22:03 - Dec 16 with 4261 viewsMiss_Terraces

My landlords heart over ruled his head. He kept the pub open after lockdown but regrets it every day. January the 5th he'll throw the keys back to the brewery, if the rumours are true. Apparently there's an alarming amount of landlords who've made the same decision.

Poll: Why are you a QPR supporter?

Pubs on 22:15 - Dec 16 with 4209 viewsdaveB

tried to book into our local for Sunday and its fully booked assuming it's doing well or they are short staffed again so limiting numbers
Pubs on 00:39 - Dec 17 with 4022 viewsBoston

The worst assault on the working class since World War One.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Pubs on 07:09 - Dec 17 with 3841 viewstraininvain

Many pubs and restaurants will need financial support from the government to survive after very poor Christmas trade. This is usually the busiest time of year for them but instead many are closing due to lack of business.

It’s a similar situation to the start of the pandemic before the first lockdown when the government basically told people not to go out to pubs and restaurants. Lockdown by stealth as people are too anxious to risk going out.

The situation is dire and I wouldn’t be surprised if Rishi announces additional financial support for the hospitality sector.
Pubs on 07:15 - Dec 17 with 3834 viewsWatford_Ranger

Pubs on 07:09 - Dec 17 by traininvain

Many pubs and restaurants will need financial support from the government to survive after very poor Christmas trade. This is usually the busiest time of year for them but instead many are closing due to lack of business.

It’s a similar situation to the start of the pandemic before the first lockdown when the government basically told people not to go out to pubs and restaurants. Lockdown by stealth as people are too anxious to risk going out.

The situation is dire and I wouldn’t be surprised if Rishi announces additional financial support for the hospitality sector.

Is he back from California yet?
Login to get fewer ads

Pubs on 08:50 - Dec 17 with 3677 viewsstevec

Round my way noticed that the pubs that attract the female of the species are thriving whilst the ones that smelt of farts and piss have long gone. And amen to that.

At £6.50 a pint and north of £20 for a roast dinner the demographics have changed. For those who prefer sticky floors and mysterious odours there’s still a vast chain of Spoons pubs to choose from.

There was a time and a place in pubs for IRA ‘raffles’, drug dealing while the frightened landlord turned a blind eye and a blanket silence if you had the temerity to walk into a pub for the first time but, thankfully, as the pub trade has contracted, certainly in numbers, so has these shady offerings.
Pubs on 09:05 - Dec 17 with 3655 viewscolinallcars

Pubs on 08:50 - Dec 17 by stevec

Round my way noticed that the pubs that attract the female of the species are thriving whilst the ones that smelt of farts and piss have long gone. And amen to that.

At £6.50 a pint and north of £20 for a roast dinner the demographics have changed. For those who prefer sticky floors and mysterious odours there’s still a vast chain of Spoons pubs to choose from.

There was a time and a place in pubs for IRA ‘raffles’, drug dealing while the frightened landlord turned a blind eye and a blanket silence if you had the temerity to walk into a pub for the first time but, thankfully, as the pub trade has contracted, certainly in numbers, so has these shady offerings.

Yes, some pubs were grim - I saw a revolver being passed on in the toilets of the Hop Poles once in the 70s.
There were plenty of good 'uns though and I fear they may become little more than a fond memory.
Pubs on 09:06 - Dec 17 with 3653 viewsPaddyhoops

I live near Garston in Watford. Pretty much one pub within a two mile radius and that's a sh*thole.
Same story in Ireland . We had 24 pubs in a small town now it's down to to 6.
A stay at home culture and cheap off license/supermarket has put paid to that plus sadly the millenniums have turned into a dull as dish water generation.
Maybe a bit harsh but just my opinion.
Pubs on 09:23 - Dec 17 with 3606 viewscolinallcars

Another thing I remember from the dodgier pubs in Hammersmith way back, was that everyone had a nickname. 'Ospital Jack, Belfast Bob, Rough Jimmy, Ready-mix, Pat The Hat, Ron The ' Tache and so on.
Pubs on 09:32 - Dec 17 with 3575 viewsMetallica_Hoop

A couple of years ago it was 3 deep at the bar one Sunday at the Carlton Bridge/Grand Union because some ***t ordered 4 coffees and the one barmaid had no idea how to make them.

There is a Costa 50 yards away.

We ended up going to the Station tavern. No coffee machine (that I could see), no queue just booze.

As it should be.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Pubs on 10:11 - Dec 17 with 3492 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

Pubs on 09:23 - Dec 17 by colinallcars

Another thing I remember from the dodgier pubs in Hammersmith way back, was that everyone had a nickname. 'Ospital Jack, Belfast Bob, Rough Jimmy, Ready-mix, Pat The Hat, Ron The ' Tache and so on.

Joe the bread. Every pub used to have one of those didn’t they?

A few pubs have closed around me but there are so many it hardly makes much difference. My locals are still going strong which is the main thing. I’ve a couple of big Fullers pubs within a half mile, both were closed throughout the pandemic but reopened in Spring. One of them suddenly closed for a refurb in Autumn and reopened looking worse than it did before. The other one seemed very quiet whenever I went in over summer and it had a bit of a vermin problem with mice running around the place. I popped in on Sunday for an ESB and a lot of the old faces seem to have gone but it was doing a good trade with most tables taken up by groups and families. So I guess they’re doing ok.

One pub that didn’t reopen isn’t local to me but I was a bit gutted about it. The Trafalgar in South Wimbledon just off Merton High Street. Was a cracking boozer but apparently the landlord wacked up the rent during the lockdown so it wasn’t viable anymore. Now sitting empty.

Poll: Expectations for this season?

Pubs on 10:20 - Dec 17 with 3453 viewsToast_R

I rarely go to the pub these days but I did go out last Friday for a gig at Sutton FC (Bohemians). Went to Ganleys Irish pub in Morden beforehand and was paying £4.90 for a Fosters and then remembered why I rarely go. Its just too expensive.
Pubs on 11:09 - Dec 17 with 3346 viewsstowmarketrange

Pubs on 10:11 - Dec 17 by CliveWilsonSaid

Joe the bread. Every pub used to have one of those didn’t they?

A few pubs have closed around me but there are so many it hardly makes much difference. My locals are still going strong which is the main thing. I’ve a couple of big Fullers pubs within a half mile, both were closed throughout the pandemic but reopened in Spring. One of them suddenly closed for a refurb in Autumn and reopened looking worse than it did before. The other one seemed very quiet whenever I went in over summer and it had a bit of a vermin problem with mice running around the place. I popped in on Sunday for an ESB and a lot of the old faces seem to have gone but it was doing a good trade with most tables taken up by groups and families. So I guess they’re doing ok.

One pub that didn’t reopen isn’t local to me but I was a bit gutted about it. The Trafalgar in South Wimbledon just off Merton High Street. Was a cracking boozer but apparently the landlord wacked up the rent during the lockdown so it wasn’t viable anymore. Now sitting empty.

That was my brothers local when he lived there,assuming that’s the one stuck on the corner of the street tucked away so nobody knew it was there.
Pubs on 11:32 - Dec 17 with 3272 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

Pubs on 11:09 - Dec 17 by stowmarketrange

That was my brothers local when he lived there,assuming that’s the one stuck on the corner of the street tucked away so nobody knew it was there.

Yes that’s the one, on High Path overlooked by the big council block there. They have a cricket team who we play against and some of my team mates used to drink there too. The cricket team now use the Merton Apprentice up the road after their matches instead.
[Post edited 17 Dec 2021 11:33]

Pubs on 12:47 - Dec 17 with 3138 viewsstowmarketrange

Pubs on 11:32 - Dec 17 by CliveWilsonSaid

Yes that’s the one, on High Path overlooked by the big council block there. They have a cricket team who we play against and some of my team mates used to drink there too. The cricket team now use the Merton Apprentice up the road after their matches instead.
[Post edited 17 Dec 2021 11:33]

My brother used to drink there in the 80’s until he moved to Cambridge in about 1990.There were some great characters in there,but I preferred the pub opposite the savacentre myself.Most of the cast of the bill tv programme used to drink in there too,especially the fat old detective and the bloke who play Jim Carver.The building they used for Sun Hill station was just around the corner.
They used to close in the Trafalgar at 10.30pm because it was in a different borough to the ones along Merton high st,and they used to close at 11pm,so it was a mad dash to get a couple more drinks in.Or maybe it was the other way round?
Pubs on 12:50 - Dec 17 with 3123 viewsizlingtonhoop

Pubs on 21:45 - Dec 16 by stowmarketrange

What local?It closed down about 10 years ago and it’s now a Mexican shop where you can buy a poncho but not a pint.

well, that's armless enough...
Pubs on 12:52 - Dec 17 with 3112 viewsstevec

Pubs on 09:23 - Dec 17 by colinallcars

…The GBH, corner of Ladbroke Grove and Lancaster road.
Pubs on 13:40 - Dec 17 with 3038 viewscolinallcars

Pubs on 12:52 - Dec 17 by stevec

…The GBH, corner of Ladbroke Grove and Lancaster road.

I remember the KPH used to be known as Keep Paddies Happy. Not being racist, that's what the Irish blokes called it and I'm half Irish.
Pubs on 14:24 - Dec 17 with 2955 viewsR_from_afar

Pubs on 09:32 - Dec 17 by Metallica_Hoop

A couple of years ago it was 3 deep at the bar one Sunday at the Carlton Bridge/Grand Union because some ***t ordered 4 coffees and the one barmaid had no idea how to make them.

There is a Costa 50 yards away.

We ended up going to the Station tavern. No coffee machine (that I could see), no queue just booze.

As it should be.

Many years ago, a mate and his girlfriend took me to one of the roughest pubs I have ever beheld, The Sprat in Didcot. Diamond White chasers agogo.

The girlfriend glided up to the bar in her immaculate cashmere coat and ordered a coffee. Everyone remained civil and calm...because she was the personnel manager at the huge local distribution company and half the punters worked with her

It's sad to see pubs disappearing, it's part of our culture and they've been a huge part of our lives, well, certainly mine.

To lift the mood, here's an atmospheric pub, in Doncaster, apparently...

https://nitter.fly.dev/NoContextBrits/status/1458560259275075588#m

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Pubs on 14:49 - Dec 17 with 2897 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

Pubs on 12:47 - Dec 17 by stowmarketrange

My brother used to drink there in the 80’s until he moved to Cambridge in about 1990.There were some great characters in there,but I preferred the pub opposite the savacentre myself.Most of the cast of the bill tv programme used to drink in there too,especially the fat old detective and the bloke who play Jim Carver.The building they used for Sun Hill station was just around the corner.
They used to close in the Trafalgar at 10.30pm because it was in a different borough to the ones along Merton high st,and they used to close at 11pm,so it was a mad dash to get a couple more drinks in.Or maybe it was the other way round?

There were still plenty of characters last time I went the end of 2019 and they always had a great selection of beers on. You wouldn’t recognise the area now. The old housing estate is still there but the whole other side of High Path from the pub has been completely flattened and developed into new build flats. Most of the other pubs have gone, apparently there were loads. We usually go to The Sultan, the other side of Merton High St just off Haydens Rd. Was there last week actually for our Christmas quiz!

Pubs on 15:06 - Dec 17 with 2849 viewsstowmarketrange

Pubs on 14:49 - Dec 17 by CliveWilsonSaid

There were still plenty of characters last time I went the end of 2019 and they always had a great selection of beers on. You wouldn’t recognise the area now. The old housing estate is still there but the whole other side of High Path from the pub has been completely flattened and developed into new build flats. Most of the other pubs have gone, apparently there were loads. We usually go to The Sultan, the other side of Merton High St just off Haydens Rd. Was there last week actually for our Christmas quiz!

I stayed at the travelodge/premier inn opposite the savacentre for 4 nights in September 2019 and I visited a few local pubs but I didn’t include the Trafalgar,and I now wish I had done.The william Morris was about the thing there 30+ years ago when the sainsburys opened its doors,but there were all sorts of fancy restaurants and shops on Merton abbey mills in 2019,but the pub was getting ready to shut about 9.30 the one night I wandered over there.
Lots of new buildings going up everywhere in London and I doubt that I’d recognise many places now.
Pubs on 15:12 - Dec 17 with 2834 viewsBoston

Pubs on 10:20 - Dec 17 by Toast_R

I rarely go to the pub these days but I did go out last Friday for a gig at Sutton FC (Bohemians). Went to Ganleys Irish pub in Morden beforehand and was paying £4.90 for a Fosters and then remembered why I rarely go. Its just too expensive.

Ha, a young gent I knew a couple of streets over from me here in Massachusetts worked in that bar. The owner is his uncle.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024