Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
African cup of nations 12:08 - Dec 22 with 4528 viewsknocker

If it is to go ahead, haven't heard any more about whether our players will be available for Bournemouth. Originally boxing day was cut off date and we were trying to get permission to let them play on 27th. Liverpool and other Premier league clubs say they don't want their players going till after 2nd January and if this is case, surely it must apply to us. If not its a joke. Let's hope its called off.
African cup of nations on 18:05 - Dec 22 with 3467 viewsthemodfather

fifa want this to go ahead , i bet many clubs across europe hope it's cancelled or played with home based players.
African cup of nations on 12:31 - Dec 23 with 3149 viewsaston_hoop

Dieng not in the Senegal squad

edit - forget that!
[Post edited 23 Dec 2021 12:39]

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

African cup of nations on 12:36 - Dec 23 with 3134 viewsdmm

African cup of nations on 12:31 - Dec 23 by aston_hoop

Dieng not in the Senegal squad

edit - forget that!
[Post edited 23 Dec 2021 12:39]

Where did you see this?
African cup of nations on 12:36 - Dec 23 with 3133 viewsdaveB

https://www.qpr.co.uk/news/club-news/chair-dieng-kakay-afcon-exits-still-unclear
African cup of nations on 12:39 - Dec 23 with 3108 viewsaston_hoop

African cup of nations on 12:36 - Dec 23 by dmm

Where did you see this?

yeah I might be wrong after all, it seems I have been looking at a predicted squad which includes 4 other keepers but not him

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

African cup of nations on 12:56 - Dec 23 with 3057 viewsdaveB

Squads are here although Senegal not named yet
Chair is in

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/africa/59698987
African cup of nations on 13:44 - Dec 23 with 2953 viewsMiss_Terraces

I'm probably in the minority here but I hope it does go ahead. This tournament is a huge deal to Africa and the Africans across the world

Poll: Why are you a QPR supporter?

African cup of nations on 14:43 - Dec 23 with 2865 viewsBlackAndGoldRanger

Bournemouth have announced their AFCON players ARE available for Monday so don't know why we don't know yet. Guess it's up to the individual country. Seems a bit short notice!
Login to get fewer ads

African cup of nations on 14:56 - Dec 23 with 2831 viewsknocker

African cup of nations on 14:43 - Dec 23 by BlackAndGoldRanger

Bournemouth have announced their AFCON players ARE available for Monday so don't know why we don't know yet. Guess it's up to the individual country. Seems a bit short notice!

You would hope the countries involved would want our 3 to play against Bournemouth as they haven't played for 3 weeks.
African cup of nations on 18:04 - Dec 23 with 2598 viewsterryb

African cup of nations on 14:43 - Dec 23 by BlackAndGoldRanger

I'm sure the club do know.

It would be up to the individual country, but I would be staggered if they could not play on Monday.

EDIT I've just seen the post on the offie saying that discussions are still taking place.
[Post edited 23 Dec 2021 18:22]
African cup of nations on 19:34 - Dec 23 with 2484 viewsknocker

African cup of nations on 18:04 - Dec 23 by terryb

I'm sure the club do know.

It would be up to the individual country, but I would be staggered if they could not play on Monday.

EDIT I've just seen the post on the offie saying that discussions are still taking place.
[Post edited 23 Dec 2021 18:22]

Zemora has been cleared to play against us for Bournemouth before going to Africa. Will be absolute joke if ours can't.
[Post edited 23 Dec 2021 19:36]
African cup of nations on 20:05 - Dec 23 with 2402 viewsdmm

African cup of nations on 19:34 - Dec 23 by knocker

Zemora has been cleared to play against us for Bournemouth before going to Africa. Will be absolute joke if ours can't.
[Post edited 23 Dec 2021 19:36]

The decision on when players need to join national squads lies with each individual country's football authority, and Zemura is from Zimbabwe.
African cup of nations on 20:34 - Dec 23 with 2358 viewsNorthernr

African cup of nations on 20:54 - Dec 23 with 2284 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Despicable but predictable.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

African cup of nations on 21:34 - Dec 23 with 2182 viewsdmm

African cup of nations on 20:34 - Dec 23 by Northernr

This is becoming confusing. Which of the numerous football bodies involved has the authority to rule on when players must join their national squads? FIFA? CAF? AFCON? National bodies? World Leagues Forum?
African cup of nations on 22:54 - Dec 23 with 2011 viewsnix

African cup of nations on 21:34 - Dec 23 by dmm

This is becoming confusing. Which of the numerous football bodies involved has the authority to rule on when players must join their national squads? FIFA? CAF? AFCON? National bodies? World Leagues Forum?

I think in practice, it's FIFA that makes the ruling in consultation with the body running the competition, who puts in the request for when they wish the players to be released by their clubs. This makes sense because the CAF has no jurisdiction over, for example, the EFL.

In theory FIFA can impose sanctions over the clubs who do not release their players, by preventing those players from playing for up to five days after the international break. I'm not sure if they can also impose fines?

The world league forum in this context acts as a lobbying body representing all the national leagues that are members of it, eg the EPL, La Liga etc. It therefore cannot make any rulings, just representations. I'm not sure what would happen though if they all got together to defy FIFA.

One of the issues with AFCON is the length of time they want the players released: thirteen days before the competition starts which is longer than the seven days players are released for the World Cup, for instance.
African cup of nations on 23:09 - Dec 23 with 1963 viewsFrankRightguard

There is absolutely no way on earth the club don’t know whether the players are available or not. Not a chance.
African cup of nations on 06:42 - Dec 24 with 1743 viewsdmm

African cup of nations on 22:54 - Dec 23 by nix

I think in practice, it's FIFA that makes the ruling in consultation with the body running the competition, who puts in the request for when they wish the players to be released by their clubs. This makes sense because the CAF has no jurisdiction over, for example, the EFL.

In theory FIFA can impose sanctions over the clubs who do not release their players, by preventing those players from playing for up to five days after the international break. I'm not sure if they can also impose fines?

The world league forum in this context acts as a lobbying body representing all the national leagues that are members of it, eg the EPL, La Liga etc. It therefore cannot make any rulings, just representations. I'm not sure what would happen though if they all got together to defy FIFA.

One of the issues with AFCON is the length of time they want the players released: thirteen days before the competition starts which is longer than the seven days players are released for the World Cup, for instance.

Thanks very much nix. That's the clearest piece I've come across about this issue.
African cup of nations on 08:51 - Dec 24 with 1607 viewsnix

African cup of nations on 06:42 - Dec 24 by dmm

Thanks very much nix. That's the clearest piece I've come across about this issue.

You're welcome. I'm sure it's more complicated than that, but that's what I've pieced together from the different articles.

I couldn't find out what would happen if a club consistently refused to release players. I'm not sure if FIFA could chuck them out of various competitions. Possibly not the EPL because i guess it runs itself but maybe the FA Cup or the Champion's League? I should imagine everyone would want to avoid it coming to that though.

I think the biennial World Cup idea that's been floated could cause massive problems, though, with clubs, as players would hardly ever get a break.
African cup of nations on 08:59 - Dec 24 with 1575 viewstoboboly

African cup of nations on 20:54 - Dec 23 by BrianMcCarthy

Despicable but predictable.

Not sure it is Brian. It's a competition bang in the middle of everybody's seasons, the clubs have to pay the players still, in the middle if a global pandemic in a country that doesn't have the infrastructure to put in bubbles, saying that players must be available 2 weeks prior to the competition commencing.

This was always going to happen at some point, I am just surprised it took a global pandemic and a dodgy world cup impacting on the schedule to make it happen.

Sexy Asian dwarves wanted.

African cup of nations on 09:08 - Dec 24 with 1542 viewsfrancisbowles

African cup of nations on 23:09 - Dec 23 by FrankRightguard

There is absolutely no way on earth the club don’t know whether the players are available or not. Not a chance.

It's likely that so far the answer is they can't play, hence negotiations continue.
African cup of nations on 09:23 - Dec 24 with 1498 viewsBrianMcCarthy

African cup of nations on 08:59 - Dec 24 by toboboly

Not sure it is Brian. It's a competition bang in the middle of everybody's seasons, the clubs have to pay the players still, in the middle if a global pandemic in a country that doesn't have the infrastructure to put in bubbles, saying that players must be available 2 weeks prior to the competition commencing.

This was always going to happen at some point, I am just surprised it took a global pandemic and a dodgy world cup impacting on the schedule to make it happen.

It's in the middle of our season because the climate is different in Africa. Same for the Qatar World Cup, and see how the European clubs have bent over backwards for that. As they surely would do for the Euros if they had to go mid-season.

To leave this to the last second is pure brinksmanship and it's disrespectful. The AFCON is as important to African players as the Euros is to European players and the European clubs doing this id disrespectful to African football, African players and Africa itself.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

African cup of nations on 09:29 - Dec 24 with 1476 viewsnix

African cup of nations on 09:23 - Dec 24 by BrianMcCarthy

It's in the middle of our season because the climate is different in Africa. Same for the Qatar World Cup, and see how the European clubs have bent over backwards for that. As they surely would do for the Euros if they had to go mid-season.

To leave this to the last second is pure brinksmanship and it's disrespectful. The AFCON is as important to African players as the Euros is to European players and the European clubs doing this id disrespectful to African football, African players and Africa itself.

I absolutely agree they should release the players, Brian. But I don't see why they need them so much earlier than other tournaments. Thirteen days rather than the usual seven seems excessive to me. I think that's the issue clubs have.
African cup of nations on 09:38 - Dec 24 with 1437 viewsLythamR

African cup of nations on 09:29 - Dec 24 by nix

I absolutely agree they should release the players, Brian. But I don't see why they need them so much earlier than other tournaments. Thirteen days rather than the usual seven seems excessive to me. I think that's the issue clubs have.

Maybe its related to Covid Protocols, it makes sense to me particularly when you look at the levels of infection in the UK, Germany, France, Spain, Italy and Russia where a lot of the African players are based,
African cup of nations on 09:47 - Dec 24 with 1402 viewsfrancisbowles

African cup of nations on 09:23 - Dec 24 by BrianMcCarthy

For once I can't agree with you Brian.

After agreeing to move the tournament away from our winter, it has been moved back this time for the reasons that you mentioned. Surely, this is could be the case for many of the countries on that continent. Hence this problem will likely reoccur.

Holding it every two years could also be viewed as excessive. As we all know, other major international tournaments, so far, are every four years.

Demanding the release of players earlier than other competitions, also unreasonable. This is the main reason clubs are still trying to get a few days extra for their employees to play matches in our busy period, especially at a time when, due to covid, clubs are trying to get enough fit players on the pitch to fulfil their fixtures.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024