Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
London ULEZ, who can afford it now 10:03 - Nov 25 with 30563 viewsRangersDave

Just announced that ULEZ in the smoke is going to get bigger, and expanded to cover all of London.

WTF?

Up here in Manchester it will happen soon, making average Joe and Josephine pay to take their car past the boundary, which extends to the border with the M6!

all in all, what a sh1t show.
[Post edited 25 Nov 2022 10:23]

WWW.northernphotography.com
Poll: Do we think Rangers wil be mathematically relegated by or on New Years day?

London ULEZ, who can afford it now on 15:57 - Aug 30 with 2323 viewsBenny_the_Ball

London ULEZ, who can afford it now on 15:14 - Aug 30 by SheffieldHoop

Just locked up a mid-80s Saab and it will be back out in a couple of years. Chap I'm storing it for is now using an early XJS as his daily until the Saab becomes exempt.

We breathe in all this filthy, polluted air all day every day, and yet life expectancy continues to rise. We're commonly living way beyond what our bodies can actually tolerate.

Just seems like an additional tax on those not positioned to avoid it. The impact on air quality will be negligible. The impact on life expectancy will be nil.

Spot on. Khan's own studies (which he then attempted to bury) showed that the extension to Outer London will make a negligible difference to air quality but he pressed ahead anyway. Meanwhile, despite all the propaganda about how London air is detrimental to health, we're living longer.

ULEZ is little more than a cash grab that unashamedly targets the poorer members of London's community during a cost of living crisis. In the future, those sitting on the fence now because their car is currently compliant will wish they'd taken action earlier when Khan moves the compliancy goalposts and/or introduces pay-per-mile. By then, it'll be too little, too late.
London ULEZ, who can afford it now on 15:59 - Aug 30 with 2332 viewsWatford_Ranger

London ULEZ, who can afford it now on 15:02 - Aug 30 by loftboy

This is exactly.Money making and nothing else.

How much money can it be making off a tiny percentage of journeys once any costs of implementing it are taken out? Sounds like a pretty rubbish cash grab to me.
London ULEZ, who can afford it now on 16:00 - Aug 30 with 2311 viewsBenny_the_Ball

London ULEZ, who can afford it now on 15:59 - Aug 30 by Watford_Ranger

How much money can it be making off a tiny percentage of journeys once any costs of implementing it are taken out? Sounds like a pretty rubbish cash grab to me.

The infrastructure was pretty much there anyway, just required some tweaking to cover Outer London.
London ULEZ, who can afford it now on 16:24 - Aug 30 with 2252 viewsdenhamhoop2

London ULEZ, who can afford it now on 10:04 - Aug 30 by derbyhoop

Surely the aim is to discourage people from using non ULEZ compliant vehicles. 50% of Londoners don't own a car. Of those who do the majority are ULEZ compliant.

100% of Londoners have to breathe the air.

Of course, incentives to encourage pollution awareness could be improved. Better scrappage incentives and improved public transport would all help. I understand that money raises from ULEZ is intended to improve public transport. At the next mayoral elections Londoners can decide if enough has been done.

If it's just about clean air then why bring in a compliance charge just make it illegal to drive non compliant vehicles in the area as for the large percentage of Londoners not owning cars I would imagine a large proportion of that would be those who live in Zones 1 2 and 3 because Public Transport quality drops off a cliff the further from Westminster you get. Then throw in that London has spread out and this affects many of the people living in the boundaries just outside the ULEZ zone. Then throw in the fact it is from Midnight to Midnight so anyone like myself who works Nights would have to pay 6 times to travel to and from work for 5 nights(I am one of those who relies on Public Transport and believe me I will thoroughly enjoy my normally 30 minute journey to work on Friday night which will take around 90+ minutes thanks to RMT and their ongoing dispute)
London ULEZ, who can afford it now on 16:59 - Aug 30 with 2179 viewskensalriser

It seems Grant Shapps wanted Khan to extend the congestion charging zone to the North and South Circulars, which Khan refused.

Now that really would have been a shitstorm.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

London ULEZ, who can afford it now on 20:15 - Aug 31 with 1940 viewsRangersDave

London ULEZ, who can afford it now on 16:59 - Aug 30 by kensalriser

It seems Grant Shapps wanted Khan to extend the congestion charging zone to the North and South Circulars, which Khan refused.

Now that really would have been a shitstorm.

Oh, that will happen, along with 'per mile' charging too.

And the air in London is just fine..... except the tube that is, its a sh 1yt show down there. Old innefficient badly designed tube trains (including the new ones).

TFL needs to sort it all out!

WWW.northernphotography.com
Poll: Do we think Rangers wil be mathematically relegated by or on New Years day?

London ULEZ, who can afford it now on 20:39 - Aug 31 with 1877 viewsNorthernr

London ULEZ, who can afford it now on 20:15 - Aug 31 by RangersDave

Oh, that will happen, along with 'per mile' charging too.

And the air in London is just fine..... except the tube that is, its a sh 1yt show down there. Old innefficient badly designed tube trains (including the new ones).

TFL needs to sort it all out!

Change at Stockwell a lot these days, and you can barely see one end of the Victoria Line platform from the other because of the haze. Presumably best off not to think of what that is.
London ULEZ, who can afford it now on 20:50 - Aug 31 with 1845 viewsloftupper

London ULEZ, who can afford it now on 15:57 - Aug 30 by Benny_the_Ball

Spot on. Khan's own studies (which he then attempted to bury) showed that the extension to Outer London will make a negligible difference to air quality but he pressed ahead anyway. Meanwhile, despite all the propaganda about how London air is detrimental to health, we're living longer.

ULEZ is little more than a cash grab that unashamedly targets the poorer members of London's community during a cost of living crisis. In the future, those sitting on the fence now because their car is currently compliant will wish they'd taken action earlier when Khan moves the compliancy goalposts and/or introduces pay-per-mile. By then, it'll be too little, too late.

I bet London's poor are really appreciating the love and care from all these people suddenly defending their interests. I wonder if it will spread to helping with poor housing standards, rogue landlords, crappy pay and the myriad of other issues facing poor people in London.
Login to get fewer ads

London ULEZ, who can afford it now on 22:12 - Aug 31 with 1753 viewsLblock

London ULEZ, who can afford it now on 20:50 - Aug 31 by loftupper

I bet London's poor are really appreciating the love and care from all these people suddenly defending their interests. I wonder if it will spread to helping with poor housing standards, rogue landlords, crappy pay and the myriad of other issues facing poor people in London.

I’m no fan of classifying down to wealth - people are people.
My utter objection to this is its a cash grab with a charade of Londoners health being used as the spin front and centre.
The end game is everyone paying something

As for all the other scenarios you mentioned there’s plenty of rooftop shouting on those.
On the rogue Landlords though I have to say…..clearly some right dodgy sods out there but…. we’ll outnumbered by rogue tenants I’d say!!!!!

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

London ULEZ, who can afford it now on 08:55 - Sep 1 with 1608 viewsBluce_Ree

MOTHERF*CKER!

Not only did I catch a speeding ticket coming back from London, I also found out yesterday that I stopped in (well, not in, but on the edge of) a box junction in Wimbledon. £65 f**king quid for something that had literally zero impact on the traffic around me.

I'm tired of getting rinsed every time I go home.

They did this f**king thing right. Merton Council, absolute cockmasters. They made it illegal to go through a junction near my mum's house/brother's flat. You can still do it but they put up signs saying you couldn't. But it wasn't clear at all. I came home from London (this was 2-3 years ago I think) and caught PCNs for going through there. Five of them.

My brother who lives there caught eight of them. We managed to appeal and they all got cancelled but even so the point is WHY? Why can't I go through that junction? It's entirely off the main road network, doesn't provide a short cut. For me it was the simplest way from mum's to brother's. I've never seen more than one other moving car in that road in the 40+ years I've gone down there (from walking as a school kid to driving as an adult).

Anyway, to compound it, they limit access at the other end of the road during school pick up/drop off times. So for a couple of hours each day I literally cannot get to my brother's flat because they've essentially made it illegal to access that road. And if I try I'll catch an 80 quid fine each time.

I'm not saying I want to find the decision makers, kneel them down in the boardroom at Crown House and shoot them, execution style, in the back of the head but when they eventually get sent down on some sort of corruption charges, I hope they get put in a cell with Bummy McYour-Gob.

ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE THROUGH MARTI THE REDEEMER WHO STRENGTHENS ME.

London ULEZ, who can afford it now on 11:26 - Sep 1 with 1510 viewsStanFan

And then there's bus lanes. All of them on the way to my Mum's are Monday-Friday except about 10 yards. Another very profitable wheeze. Not sure how you are meant to read all the little blue signs while driving and checking speed limits (20mph or 30mph), other road signs, pedestrians and other drivers.
No wonder most people don't drive in bus lanes even when they can, which creates yet more congestion.
London ULEZ, who can afford it now on 12:12 - Sep 1 with 1453 viewsEsox_Lucius

London ULEZ, who can afford it now on 14:57 - Aug 30 by Lblock

So hardly any cars will actually be paying this tax....... seems to be the current mantra?

Okay so Khan the Climate Warrior has committed circa £200mill of spend on something that a tiny portion of people will generate 16 million payments to cover the capital outlay?
For a one year payback thats 43,835 journeys a day seven days a week including all high days and holidays.
This excludes the running costs.

Can you hear the bells on the other one?

Why people cannot see the end game I have no idea.
Many of us may well be sitting there all smug that our cars are compliant but come back to me in 6 months to a years time after the "still unacceptable levels of congestion" line is rolled out just after he's re-elected. If you drive in London you WILL be charged at some point in the future - if not I'll eat that old hat of mine.

You DO realise that this is a Conservative initiative and Khan has been threatened by the government that if he doesn't implement the expansion Central Government will withhold funding for TfL? There's a document from Grant Schapps floating around with the details.

The grass is always greener.

London ULEZ, who can afford it now on 12:37 - Sep 1 with 1412 viewsLblock

London ULEZ, who can afford it now on 12:12 - Sep 1 by Esox_Lucius

You DO realise that this is a Conservative initiative and Khan has been threatened by the government that if he doesn't implement the expansion Central Government will withhold funding for TfL? There's a document from Grant Schapps floating around with the details.

You mean the COVID active mobility document that is disputed by both sides of government?
Same one that gave idiots in faceless town hall offices free reign to impose useless LTN’s whilst they twiddles with their bicycle clips.

TFL is broke and it was broke under Ken, broke under Boris and become even more broke under Khant.
That’s an organisation with a captive market of a million plus daily customers. Make your own mind up why that is.

Besides I couldn’t care less who is behind it or the bullshizen spin.
It’s a tax and a scam that people are swallowing hook, line and sinker.

London ULEZ, who can afford it now on 12:44 - Sep 1 with 1407 viewsBlue_Castello

London ULEZ, who can afford it now on 12:12 - Sep 1 by Esox_Lucius

Sorry not convinced at all 5 Conservative Council's went to court to try and get this blocked, very sadly the Court ruled against them and said that Ayatollah Khan can carry on with his crusade under the pretense that we will all live longer.

This is all about raising money not about health, I fully supported the ULEZ in the City and Central London and have happily paid my £12.50 to go to Loftus Road with my van and park in my usual place at the back of Wormholt Park.

We live in Uxbridge the London Borough of Hillingdon we are in a very short walking distance of Buckinghamshire, theres no getting away from the fact that Hillingdon has one of the highest pollution ratios in Greater London but if you Google Heathrow Airport you have your answer.
London ULEZ, who can afford it now on 14:46 - Sep 1 with 1281 viewsHAYESBOY

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-66675787

Down with this sort of thing..........

Smells like a trout farm in here

London ULEZ, who can afford it now on 16:06 - Sep 1 with 1192 viewsLblock

London ULEZ, who can afford it now on 14:46 - Sep 1 by HAYESBOY

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-66675787

Down with this sort of thing..........

Try Julie’s ULEZ maps if you want an idea where these are for sight seeing purposes only

About four n a half thousand of the bstards around London

“Y’aint seen me……….roight?”

London ULEZ, who can afford it now on 21:21 - Sep 1 with 1070 viewsloftupper

London ULEZ, who can afford it now on 22:12 - Aug 31 by Lblock

I’m no fan of classifying down to wealth - people are people.
My utter objection to this is its a cash grab with a charade of Londoners health being used as the spin front and centre.
The end game is everyone paying something

As for all the other scenarios you mentioned there’s plenty of rooftop shouting on those.
On the rogue Landlords though I have to say…..clearly some right dodgy sods out there but…. we’ll outnumbered by rogue tenants I’d say!!!!!

I think his priced it too high to be a cash grab. Compliant cars for sub 1k if you are cash strapped. Whether you agree with the data he uses to justify it or not there do appear to be unacceptable levels of asthma and preventable deaths to warrant doing something to clean the air up.

I’ve struggled to meet anyone who doesn’t want cleaner air. Might not be the best answer but at least something is being done
London ULEZ, who can afford it now on 21:32 - Sep 1 with 1042 viewsloftupper

London ULEZ, who can afford it now on 21:21 - Sep 1 by loftupper

I think his priced it too high to be a cash grab. Compliant cars for sub 1k if you are cash strapped. Whether you agree with the data he uses to justify it or not there do appear to be unacceptable levels of asthma and preventable deaths to warrant doing something to clean the air up.

I’ve struggled to meet anyone who doesn’t want cleaner air. Might not be the best answer but at least something is being done

Personally I would take it national and make it part of the MOT. Unfortunately Mr khan does not have that authority 😉
[Post edited 1 Sep 2023 21:33]
London ULEZ, who can afford it now on 21:40 - Sep 1 with 1015 viewsPunteR

London ULEZ, who can afford it now on 08:55 - Sep 1 by Bluce_Ree

MOTHERF*CKER!

Not only did I catch a speeding ticket coming back from London, I also found out yesterday that I stopped in (well, not in, but on the edge of) a box junction in Wimbledon. £65 f**king quid for something that had literally zero impact on the traffic around me.

I'm tired of getting rinsed every time I go home.

They did this f**king thing right. Merton Council, absolute cockmasters. They made it illegal to go through a junction near my mum's house/brother's flat. You can still do it but they put up signs saying you couldn't. But it wasn't clear at all. I came home from London (this was 2-3 years ago I think) and caught PCNs for going through there. Five of them.

My brother who lives there caught eight of them. We managed to appeal and they all got cancelled but even so the point is WHY? Why can't I go through that junction? It's entirely off the main road network, doesn't provide a short cut. For me it was the simplest way from mum's to brother's. I've never seen more than one other moving car in that road in the 40+ years I've gone down there (from walking as a school kid to driving as an adult).

Anyway, to compound it, they limit access at the other end of the road during school pick up/drop off times. So for a couple of hours each day I literally cannot get to my brother's flat because they've essentially made it illegal to access that road. And if I try I'll catch an 80 quid fine each time.

I'm not saying I want to find the decision makers, kneel them down in the boardroom at Crown House and shoot them, execution style, in the back of the head but when they eventually get sent down on some sort of corruption charges, I hope they get put in a cell with Bummy McYour-Gob.

This is the thing.
London is a nightmare for drivers before this ULEZ came in. We get get rinsed at every available opportunity. Just look at the state of it. Whats the congestion charge for ? with ULEZ on top of that..? cameras picking up on every little driving error and fining you for it. Are they fining you so become better drivers..? Nah course not. They've got every angle covered.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

London ULEZ, who can afford it now on 21:49 - Sep 1 with 997 viewsloftupper

London ULEZ, who can afford it now on 21:40 - Sep 1 by PunteR

This is the thing.
London is a nightmare for drivers before this ULEZ came in. We get get rinsed at every available opportunity. Just look at the state of it. Whats the congestion charge for ? with ULEZ on top of that..? cameras picking up on every little driving error and fining you for it. Are they fining you so become better drivers..? Nah course not. They've got every angle covered.

In most cases they are not driving errors they are playing the percentages. Rarely have I been fined for speeding when I wasn’t aware I was speeding and that would be a concern in itself. Rarely have I parked somewhere and come back to a parking ticket I didn’t expect. These shocking private parking companies aside (that’s a different argument though).
London ULEZ, who can afford it now on 22:10 - Sep 1 with 940 viewsPunteR

London ULEZ, who can afford it now on 21:21 - Sep 1 by loftupper

Stop building tower blocks, offices in London then, making it more congested . Theres a thing called the green belt that is useless to everyone . Start building an infrastructure outside of London.
Create more green space within London. I could be wrong but doesnt a fkin tree soak up the bad shit and pumps out the good stuff..?
[Post edited 1 Sep 2023 22:12]

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

London ULEZ, who can afford it now on 22:19 - Sep 1 with 925 viewscolinallcars

As I posted a few months back, Hounslow introduced a scheme whereby only residents could drive down certain streets in rush hours. This was to stop “ratruns” Fair enough.
I drove down one such street on a Sunday lunchtime and was fined £60 - they'd made it 24/7.
As another poster said you can't keep looking out for this complex signage, you'll end up running some poor sod over.
[Post edited 1 Sep 2023 22:48]
London ULEZ, who can afford it now on 22:41 - Sep 1 with 886 viewsLblock

London ULEZ, who can afford it now on 21:40 - Sep 1 by PunteR

This is the thing.

I had a Final Account meeting with a regular Drylining company I use week before last.
He’s been working for me and others in our industry at least 25 years
Mainly west end and city based jobs

I was shocked (sort of) when he announced to me he’s basically going to start turning work down in our sweet spot areas as it’s “just not worth it anymore”
ULEZ was one of the factors but we both agreed, as a pair of washed up,rinsed out old dinosaurs, that London is fcukd compared to what we knew and loved. It’s had it.

Biggest job I’ve done this year is proper satellite in Maidenhead
Client view is cheaper, nicer and international visitors hit Heathrow and do a left and not a right. They’ll use Windsor rather than the bright lights

Meanwhile there’ll be cleaner air (by 0.001%) for the crackheads around Holborn

London ULEZ, who can afford it now on 22:55 - Sep 1 with 871 viewsloftupper

London ULEZ, who can afford it now on 22:10 - Sep 1 by PunteR

Stop building tower blocks, offices in London then, making it more congested . Theres a thing called the green belt that is useless to everyone . Start building an infrastructure outside of London.
Create more green space within London. I could be wrong but doesnt a fkin tree soak up the bad shit and pumps out the good stuff..?
[Post edited 1 Sep 2023 22:12]

I agree, why is it expected that city's should continually take on the responsibility of a growing population.

I suspect that local interest groups coupled with MP's make it too difficult to consider building anywhere else other than London.
London ULEZ, who can afford it now on 23:00 - Sep 1 with 847 viewsloftupper

London ULEZ, who can afford it now on 22:41 - Sep 1 by Lblock

I had a Final Account meeting with a regular Drylining company I use week before last.
He’s been working for me and others in our industry at least 25 years
Mainly west end and city based jobs

I was shocked (sort of) when he announced to me he’s basically going to start turning work down in our sweet spot areas as it’s “just not worth it anymore”
ULEZ was one of the factors but we both agreed, as a pair of washed up,rinsed out old dinosaurs, that London is fcukd compared to what we knew and loved. It’s had it.

Biggest job I’ve done this year is proper satellite in Maidenhead
Client view is cheaper, nicer and international visitors hit Heathrow and do a left and not a right. They’ll use Windsor rather than the bright lights

Meanwhile there’ll be cleaner air (by 0.001%) for the crackheads around Holborn

So for the cost of £12.50 per day if he is driving a non compliant van he is going to stop providing services to what I would imagine would be a busy sector?

I would imagine there is more to it than simply that.

Why wouldn't he upgrade his mode of transport?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024