Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
22 Years ago today - Where were you for the 2001 relegation? 14:06 - Apr 21 with 5137 viewsToast_R

22 years ago to the day, it doesn't seem possible does it?

I was in Bournemouth on a lads weekend away. No idea why, can't remember the occasion but we were In some bar and my mate got a text message from his mate giving the final scores that afternoon (No smart phones back then). His words to me "QPR lost 2-1 and down". Knew it was coming but I was glad I was half pissed when he said it.

22 Years ago today - Where were you for the 2001 relegation? on 14:09 - Apr 21 with 4306 viewsNorthernr

Down the front of the away end. Turned to walk away back up the steps and there were two dozen very angry QPR fans flying back down towards me to get at either the players or the Huddersfield fans.
22 Years ago today - Where were you for the 2001 relegation? on 14:12 - Apr 21 with 4277 viewsdaveB

In the away in floods of tears like a right wally
22 Years ago today - Where were you for the 2001 relegation? on 14:13 - Apr 21 with 4275 viewsToast_R

22 Years ago today - Where were you for the 2001 relegation? on 14:09 - Apr 21 by Northernr

Down the front of the away end. Turned to walk away back up the steps and there were two dozen very angry QPR fans flying back down towards me to get at either the players or the Huddersfield fans.

Would there be a worse place for that to re-occur than the Britannia?
22 Years ago today - Where were you for the 2001 relegation? on 14:24 - Apr 21 with 4234 viewsR_from_afar

That was the year when I started supporting Rangers, I hadn't supported a team until then, even though I had played football regularly - and badly - for years. I know, I'm a jinx!

I used to play football with SilverBirch and RedditchHoop and they persuaded me to go to a QPR match - I'm glad they did, no, really - and now here I am.

Following QPR: No one said it was going to be easy. Nemo facile futurum esse dixit, if you want that motto in Latin.

I have no regrets, though. COYRS

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

22 Years ago today - Where were you for the 2001 relegation? on 14:25 - Apr 21 with 4227 viewsdaveB

22 Years ago today - Where were you for the 2001 relegation? on 14:13 - Apr 21 by Toast_R

Would there be a worse place for that to re-occur than the Britannia?

Loftus Road a week later?
22 Years ago today - Where were you for the 2001 relegation? on 14:27 - Apr 21 with 4218 viewstoboboly

22 Years ago today - Where were you for the 2001 relegation? on 14:25 - Apr 21 by daveB

Loftus Road a week later?

Think Toast was commenting on Norf mentioning 'Uddersfield fans

Sexy Asian dwarves wanted.

22 Years ago today - Where were you for the 2001 relegation? on 14:29 - Apr 21 with 4198 viewsdaveB

22 Years ago today - Where were you for the 2001 relegation? on 14:27 - Apr 21 by toboboly

Think Toast was commenting on Norf mentioning 'Uddersfield fans

oh year sorry get what you mean.
I've just bought a ticket for Stoke so will look forward to that one
22 Years ago today - Where were you for the 2001 relegation? on 14:31 - Apr 21 with 4188 viewsSnipper

We undeservedly lost that game. If I remember rightly, it was a 95th minute winner for Huddersfield. Their fans were really giving it to us as we were relegated to League One.

I was absolutely delighted when they joined us on the last day of the season.
Login to get fewer ads

22 Years ago today - Where were you for the 2001 relegation? on 14:31 - Apr 21 with 4182 viewsTelford_QPR

In the away end and luckily they kept the bar open for most (all?) the game! Had a lift up and had to walk about 10 minutes away and taunted all the way back that we were down an they were staying up...wish I had seen those same people a week later !!

I have a horrible feeling it will happen at Brittania this season
22 Years ago today - Where were you for the 2001 relegation? on 14:31 - Apr 21 with 4182 viewsngbqpr

Away end.

Resigned to it.

And proud of the following we took, which I seem to recall was more than Fulham took (week before or after? ) for a promotion party.

Poll: Best hug a stranger / fall down five rows / 'limbs' late goals this season

22 Years ago today - Where were you for the 2001 relegation? on 14:39 - Apr 21 with 4155 viewsslmrstid

I was 11 at the time. My Dad went to Huddersfield, I couldn't face it in case we went down and I didn't want any cameras to see me crying.

We obviously lost, and I just cried at home instead, whilst on the phone my Dad tried to reassure me with "We'll be back".

Which we were eventually. And now it looks we'll be back again, full circle and that.
22 Years ago today - Where were you for the 2001 relegation? on 14:55 - Apr 21 with 4075 viewsTheChef

Was there on the day - went up early to play for ASB against Huddersfield fans (we won, woo hoo!).

Delroy facking Facey.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

22 Years ago today - Where were you for the 2001 relegation? on 15:13 - Apr 21 with 4016 viewsted_hendrix

Cyprus (it was bloody hot)

Got me thinking about when we got relegated Season 1995-1996, we were already down but still took a large following to Notts Forest where we duly lost 3-0, for the life of me I had a car full of lads with me driving but as we driving out of Nottingham It slowly dawns on you how awful relegation Is.

It's kind of a lonely horrible feeling--failure Is the word bloody failure.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

22 Years ago today - Where were you for the 2001 relegation? on 15:40 - Apr 21 with 3961 viewsSnipper

It was also the same day as Roy Keane maiming Alf Inge Haarland.

We watched that match in a pub in Wakefield.
22 Years ago today - Where were you for the 2001 relegation? on 15:45 - Apr 21 with 3947 viewsdannyblue

I was living in New York, went into the office on the Saturday to listen to a stream - didn't have internet at home in those days. Kicked some office furniture when Delroy Facey (?) scored. I didn't realise my boss was also in. Fortunately he was a Newcastle fan and understood my frustrations.
22 Years ago today - Where were you for the 2001 relegation? on 16:03 - Apr 21 with 3905 viewsTonto

Was at the game. Cleared off sharpish. It was not a happy place.

Why stop now, just when I'm hating it
Poll: Is it essential that QPR stay in the Borough of H&F?

22 Years ago today - Where were you for the 2001 relegation? on 16:30 - Apr 21 with 3816 viewssilverbirch

22 Years ago today - Where were you for the 2001 relegation? on 14:24 - Apr 21 by R_from_afar

That was the year when I started supporting Rangers, I hadn't supported a team until then, even though I had played football regularly - and badly - for years. I know, I'm a jinx!

I used to play football with SilverBirch and RedditchHoop and they persuaded me to go to a QPR match - I'm glad they did, no, really - and now here I am.

Following QPR: No one said it was going to be easy. Nemo facile futurum esse dixit, if you want that motto in Latin.

I have no regrets, though. COYRS

mWahahaha!
(That’s how you type an evil laugh, I just looked it up).

I’ve lost track of how many people I’ve brought to Loftus Road over the years. And I think you are the only one to stick with it.
Sorry.
22 Years ago today - Where were you for the 2001 relegation? on 17:10 - Apr 21 with 3740 viewshamptonhillhoop

In the away end. Was it Delroy Facey that scored the winner? Well remember being taunted by the Huddersfield fans on the way out, would have loved to have seen them a fortnight later. Stockport beat us 3-0 at Loftus Road the week after, now that was depressing.
Going to Stoke next week, which is looking ominous
22 Years ago today - Where were you for the 2001 relegation? on 17:17 - Apr 21 with 3727 viewsHayesender

I missed that relegation as I had to take my daughter to a 5th birthday party. Now normally things like that filled me with dred and anxiety, but I was quite glad of the distraction that day.

Got my Stoke ticket to make up for it

Poll: Shamima Beghum

22 Years ago today - Where were you for the 2001 relegation? on 17:21 - Apr 21 with 3716 viewsWilkinswatercarrier

Had gone past caring by that point, a lot like how I feel about this lot.
22 Years ago today - Where were you for the 2001 relegation? on 17:24 - Apr 21 with 3713 viewsTheChef

22 Years ago today - Where were you for the 2001 relegation? on 17:10 - Apr 21 by hamptonhillhoop

In the away end. Was it Delroy Facey that scored the winner? Well remember being taunted by the Huddersfield fans on the way out, would have loved to have seen them a fortnight later. Stockport beat us 3-0 at Loftus Road the week after, now that was depressing.
Going to Stoke next week, which is looking ominous

Just over 10,000 at LR for that Stockport game - I have no recollection of that one, I assume I missed it too!

I did go to the last game at Wolves; memorable for a very rare Paul Bruce free kick goal, and the lively debut of a certain Alex Higgins...

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

22 Years ago today - Where were you for the 2001 relegation? on 17:28 - Apr 21 with 3704 viewsPeterHucker

I was in the away end.
So gutted after the match I couldn't face getting straight back on the train home so me & my mate got a few cans and sat by the river drinking them.

Then we got on the train to head home. We had to change at Wakefield but when we got there the next train to London was cancelled. We headed into the pub opposite Wakefield station to drown our sorrows until the next London train turned up.
There were maybe 30 - 40 QPR fans drinking in there all depressed about relegation and to a lesser degree the train issues. The landlady was very sympathetic and magicked up a whole load of sandwiches for us. That was the best bit of the day!
22 Years ago today - Where were you for the 2001 relegation? on 17:55 - Apr 21 with 3657 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Away end. A load of us had schlept over from Manchester. Leaving to get to our cars was fun going through the car park.

We all said, bollix to it and just went out when we got back to Manchester... really isn't worth ruining a Saturday night.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

22 Years ago today - Where were you for the 2001 relegation? on 18:01 - Apr 21 with 3638 viewsRangersw12

Going mental in Huddersfield...
22 Years ago today - Where were you for the 2001 relegation? on 18:31 - Apr 21 with 3594 viewsdezzar

In the away end then dodging the fisticuffs outside , some of the players didn’t look too bothered , but Crouchie looked devastated
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024