Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Andy Rourke - RIP 09:15 - May 19 with 2740 viewshamptonhillhoop

Very sad news. Was lucky enough to see The Smiths twice in 1986. Great bass player and by all accounts a good bloke. Pancreatic cancer is such an awful illness
Andy Rourke - RIP on 09:57 - May 19 with 2643 viewsEastR

Such an important part of the sound, contribution often overlooked RIP

Poll: Is time up for Ainsworth?

Andy Rourke - RIP on 12:04 - May 19 with 2517 viewssoops

RIP - far too young ☹️
Andy Rourke - RIP (n/t) on 13:51 - May 19 with 2429 viewsconnell10

I love The Smith's....R.I.P Andy.
[Post edited 19 May 2023 13:52]

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

Andy Rourke - RIP on 14:30 - May 19 with 2384 viewsw7r

Way too young, thanks for the tunes and the memories Andy.
Andy Rourke - RIP on 15:53 - May 19 with 2326 viewsPaddyhoops

His bass solo in Barbarism begins at home is genuis.
A true gent by all accounts. Morrisey famously was taken to to court by rourke and drummer Mike Joyce saying they were not entitled to royalties as they were like lawnmower parts who could easily be replaced. He lost and wasn’t happy.
Andy Rourke RIP.
Andy Rourke - RIP on 17:06 - May 19 with 2281 viewsDorse

Andy Rourke - RIP on 15:53 - May 19 by Paddyhoops

A true gent by all accounts. Morrisey famously was taken to to court by rourke and drummer Mike Joyce saying they were not entitled to royalties as they were like lawnmower parts who could easily be replaced. He lost and wasn’t happy.
Andy Rourke RIP.

Morrissey being unhappy is pretty normal. Great bass player and chronically overlooked at times. This Charming Man is a great example of what he brought as is Handsome Devil (driving hard)

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

Andy Rourke - RIP on 17:11 - May 19 with 2274 viewscharmr

A major contributor to my fave band. Appreciated more now then ever.

Bass lines on Rubber Ring, just sublime
[Post edited 19 May 2023 17:17]
Andy Rourke - RIP on 17:12 - May 19 with 2273 viewsPaddyhoops

Andy Rourke - RIP on 17:06 - May 19 by Dorse

Morrissey being unhappy is pretty normal. Great bass player and chronically overlooked at times. This Charming Man is a great example of what he brought as is Handsome Devil (driving hard)

Morrisey has left a pretty decent statement in the last hour and Peter Hook commenting on BBC 5 live has said it’s the best thing to come out of his mouth for years. Ouch!
Login to get fewer ads

Andy Rourke - RIP on 19:00 - May 19 with 2185 viewshamptonhillhoop

Andy Rourke - RIP on 15:53 - May 19 by Paddyhoops

Andy Rourke RIP.

The dancing from Morrissey and Marr at the end is worth watching
Andy Rourke - RIP on 08:18 - May 20 with 2022 viewsClive_Anderson

Gutted about this, didn't even know he was ill.

I was always hoping they might put their differences aside and do a few concerts again as The Smiths one day.
Andy Rourke - RIP on 19:15 - May 22 with 1825 viewsDannyPaddox

I saw a Smiths tribute recently. An off cuff option to another night in the local. I was taken aback by how good it was and how powerful the songs were even though it was a tribute act. I played the Smiths records to death in the 80s and caught them live a few times but don’t revisit them much. (Apart from a week during lockdown when I played Cemetery Gates so much the neighbours called to check I was okay - I was trying to work the chords out) Point of this story is the tribute Johnny Marr wasn’t amazing but the drummer and bass player were which really brought home the Smiths weren’t just Morrissey & Marr. These songs were rocking and it was the drums and bass that was driving it. Songs that I thought were just okay at the time like Sheila Take A Bow really stood the test of time. They also blasted out one of my favourite lesser lauded songs These Things Take Time. Fantastic music. RIP Andy Rourke 🙏🏼
Andy Rourke - RIP on 20:18 - May 22 with 1781 viewsPeterHucker

Andy Rourke - RIP on 19:15 - May 22 by DannyPaddox

I saw a Smiths tribute recently. An off cuff option to another night in the local. I was taken aback by how good it was and how powerful the songs were even though it was a tribute act. I played the Smiths records to death in the 80s and caught them live a few times but don’t revisit them much. (Apart from a week during lockdown when I played Cemetery Gates so much the neighbours called to check I was okay - I was trying to work the chords out) Point of this story is the tribute Johnny Marr wasn’t amazing but the drummer and bass player were which really brought home the Smiths weren’t just Morrissey & Marr. These songs were rocking and it was the drums and bass that was driving it. Songs that I thought were just okay at the time like Sheila Take A Bow really stood the test of time. They also blasted out one of my favourite lesser lauded songs These Things Take Time. Fantastic music. RIP Andy Rourke 🙏🏼

which Smiths tribute band was it?
Andy Rourke - RIP on 20:30 - May 22 with 1770 viewsDannyPaddox

Andy Rourke - RIP on 20:18 - May 22 by PeterHucker

which Smiths tribute band was it?

The frontman was good too. Had the voice and the mannerisms but saying that he didn’t take it too seriously. He was part Morrissey/ part Rigsby from Rising Damp. Which worked for me.
Andy Rourke - RIP on 20:43 - May 22 with 1762 viewsqprxtc

In my little brain/world tge Smiths were overrated lightweights but I did like the music. A lot of time was spent banging on about the main two but that rhythm section was the heart of the band. The skin was saggy and overweight.
Andy Rourke - RIP on 22:01 - May 22 with 1701 viewsPeterHucker

Andy Rourke - RIP on 20:30 - May 22 by DannyPaddox

The frontman was good too. Had the voice and the mannerisms but saying that he didn’t take it too seriously. He was part Morrissey/ part Rigsby from Rising Damp. Which worked for me.

Ah, don't know that tribute band but I'm sure they're great.

20 years ago, I formed a Smiths tribute band called The Smyths.

https://www.thesmyths.net/

I left the band after about a year because I moved to the other end of the country.
But they're still going and still thriving (and still ill)

After I'd left, the rest of the band have crossed paths with both Andy Rourke and Mike Joyce quite a few times and have only good things to say about both of them.

During my short time in the band, we met Smiths producer Stephen Street a few times. He's a lovely bloke and a QPR fan as well.

Also Kevin and Steve Gallen came to one of our earliest gigs, not long after we'd lost the playoff final in Cardiff.
Andy Rourke - RIP on 22:20 - May 22 with 1686 viewshamptonhillhoop

Andy Rourke - RIP on 22:01 - May 22 by PeterHucker

I left the band after about a year because I moved to the other end of the country.

After I'd left, the rest of the band have crossed paths with both Andy Rourke and Mike Joyce quite a few times and have only good things to say about both of them.

During my short time in the band, we met Smiths producer Stephen Street a few times. He's a lovely bloke and a QPR fan as well.

Also Kevin and Steve Gallen came to one of our earliest gigs, not long after we'd lost the playoff final in Cardiff.

Bloody hell. I saw The Smyths at the Half Moon in Putney, probably about 10 years ago. They were very good. I'd imagine after your time though
Andy Rourke - RIP on 22:26 - May 22 with 1679 viewsconnell10

I've seen them very good .

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

Andy Rourke - RIP on 22:48 - May 22 with 1658 viewsHayesender

Well I never! I've seen The Smyths a few times now, but the last time was just before lockdown.

Couldn't make it on Friday to the half moon, but I see Stephen Street joined them on stage to play suedehead.

On a side note, I'm off to see Morrissey in Portsmouth in July, unless of course he has a hissy fit and cancels

Poll: Shamima Beghum

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024