Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Portobella Road 18:03 - May 26 with 6023 viewsdmm

The Pronunciation / pronounciation thread has inspired me to start this one about Portobella Road.

For me, it was the centre of the universe in the late 60s and early 70s. Growing up in Kensal Rise it was easy to get there, and get there I did at every possible opportunity. It had an incredible energy, creativity and rebellion about it which I loved.

I spent most weekends at a shop in Blenheim Crescent, just off the Bella which sold ex-Covent Gardem Theatrical clothes, sort of Beatles Sgt Pepper style. I'd just hang out there as did a bunch of heads, hippies and ne'er-do-wells.

Just over the road was a place I think was called The Dog Shop for some unknown reason. It had an enormous nose above the entrance set in a de rigueur psychedelic mural. It sold joss sticks, patchouli oil and tied dye t-shirts, of course.

Back then the Electric Cinema was nothing like the rather swanky place it is today but an absolute flea pit. I went to see The Yellow Submarine there, sat down only to have the back of the seat give way completely.

Have you got any stories of the Bella, particularly from that time?
Portobella Road on 06:42 - May 28 with 1596 viewsdmm

Portobella Road on 20:33 - May 27 by qpr_1968

there was one on the same side as the percy on ladbroke grove, but not as far as the eagle.
roughly in between....and yes, i know the eagle is on the other side.
roy wood out of wizard lived a few doors down from it......the only one i can think of up this end.

Thanks. That's definitely the right area though I remember No Noise being on the same side as The Eagle.
Portobella Road on 07:12 - May 28 with 1569 viewsMetallica_Hoop

I always remember the blind accordion player outside Tesco's and "paaaand a paaaand" shouts from the fruit and veg stalls.

I once worked on a stall there aged 14 selling (not very well) kaleidoscopes and was told the bloke selling WW2 stuff was a fraud and it was all made in Spain.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Portobella Road on 11:14 - May 28 with 1482 viewsLadbrokeR

Lived around portobello for the last 35 years. Remember Subturania in its hey day. I used to go to Soulsonic regularly and occasionally rotation. I’ve always liked Finches particularly on a sunny day. Past Carnivals have been great with lots of time at sancha panza and good times. I never quite understood the ion bar now Sainsbury’s. I’ve always liked Makan. Micks cafe is an institution.
Portobella Road on 11:39 - May 29 with 1336 viewsdutch

Does anybody remember West Ham singing "Where's your famous Ladbroke Grove?" after they chased us all around Shepherd's Bush before the game?
Portobella Road on 13:12 - May 29 with 1305 viewsizlingtonhoop

Portobella Road on 20:33 - May 27 by qpr_1968

there was one on the same side as the percy on ladbroke grove, but not as far as the eagle.
roughly in between....and yes, i know the eagle is on the other side.
roy wood out of wizard lived a few doors down from it......the only one i can think of up this end.

Wizzard
Portobella Road on 13:45 - May 29 with 1245 viewstraininvain

Portobella Road on 11:14 - May 28 by LadbrokeR

Lived around portobello for the last 35 years. Remember Subturania in its hey day. I used to go to Soulsonic regularly and occasionally rotation. I’ve always liked Finches particularly on a sunny day. Past Carnivals have been great with lots of time at sancha panza and good times. I never quite understood the ion bar now Sainsbury’s. I’ve always liked Makan. Micks cafe is an institution.

Never understood why they stopped Sancho panza and Good Times at carnival. Maybe the police had a say as they were both very busy but it’s a shame as it hasn’t been the same since.
Portobella Road on 14:36 - May 29 with 1211 viewskensalriser

Portobella Road on 13:45 - May 29 by traininvain

Never understood why they stopped Sancho panza and Good Times at carnival. Maybe the police had a say as they were both very busy but it’s a shame as it hasn’t been the same since.

Norman Jay quit rather than being stopped. Same for Sancho.

https://www.ibtimes.co.uk/im-surprised-we-lasted-long-we-did-dj-norman-jay-mbe-f

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Portobella Road on 16:44 - May 29 with 1165 viewsqpr_1968

Portobella Road on 13:12 - May 29 by izlingtonhoop

Wizzard

Poll: how many games this season....home/away.

Login to get fewer ads

Portobella Road on 00:41 - Jun 4 with 916 viewsdannyblue

Sad to report a large corporate chelsea mural on hayden's place, just opposite tesco.
Portobella Road on 06:59 - Jun 4 with 855 viewsdmm

Portobella Road on 00:41 - Jun 4 by dannyblue

Sad to report a large corporate chelsea mural on hayden's place, just opposite tesco.

It would be terrible if someone defaced it
Portobella Road on 09:58 - Jun 4 with 774 viewsDannyPaddox

Portobella Road on 06:59 - Jun 4 by dmm

It would be terrible if someone defaced it

Option A

or

Option B

expert fine tuning by dannyblue in option A 👍🏼
[Post edited 4 Jun 2023 12:18]
Portobella Road on 12:08 - Jun 4 with 726 viewsdannyblue

Portobella Road on 09:58 - Jun 4 by DannyPaddox

Option A

or

Option B

expert fine tuning by dannyblue in option A 👍🏼
[Post edited 4 Jun 2023 12:18]

“QPR. Also shit, but local”
[Post edited 4 Jun 2023 12:09]
Portobella Road on 18:04 - Jun 4 with 661 viewscolinallcars

I don't know what's suddenly made me remember this - but I was in a rough old pub in Portobella Rd, a Whitbread house. I went to have a pee and a bloke came in to the urinal next to me. Suddenly he was overcome by paroxyms of coughing. His false teeth shot out and fell in the urinal “Oh f***” he said, bent down and picked them up, wiped them on his sleeve and shoved them back in his mouth.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024