Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Anyone else getting a bit apprehensive? 10:50 - Jul 8 with 11671 viewsRsinWales

I am not usually a 'sky is falling in' kind of person, but I am starting to get a feeling of dread about the new season.

We've said goodbye to a few players, which is fine, but we seem to be very vulnerable now.

No Director of Football to be in place before the start of the season, and yet surely we need to do a lot of recruitment to be anywhere near competitive for next season. Surely this is a crucial phase for having a strategic approach to building a way forward, after a somewhat fragmented approach over several years e.g. having a supposed strategy but regularly deviating from it.

I can't see the sense in assembling a new squad in the absence of a DoF, and then bringing one on board?

Clive has been clear that we need income to begin any significant recruitment, but other than Dieng, we don't look close to selling any of the players that might enable that.

I think we could all see how far off the pace we were last year, and the last time I felt so concerned about our chances of success, was at the time of the no cash, no players summer under Holloway. At least that was in League One.

If we do bring in any players, it looks like there will be relatively little time to integrate into the team. It just feels like we are wandering into calamity, with little more than hope associated with Ainsworth's optimism. I love the guy and want him to succeed, but we seem to be creating the conditions for failure.
Anyone else getting a bit apprehensive? on 11:00 - Jul 8 with 6587 viewsFDC

There's definitely potential for the season starting with a series of almighty beatings, against Watford and then our run of away games. It could get really ugly really quickly
Anyone else getting a bit apprehensive? on 11:01 - Jul 8 with 6562 viewsQPRSteve

I'm finding the whole situation very depressing.
Anyone else getting a bit apprehensive? on 11:11 - Jul 8 with 6497 viewsRed_Ranger

Understatement .
I cant see any light at the end of the tunnel.
Except new ownership at some point
Anyone else getting a bit apprehensive? on 11:11 - Jul 8 with 6496 viewsGaryBannister86

Good post. Dieng and Dickie may have lost form, but they were quite clearly players who had (i) talent and (ii) the ability to actually get on the pitch week after week.

To remove them and have to rely on ageing crocks and whatever cloggers Ainsworth can dig up has to be worrying. All logic states we are going to be in for an almighty struggle and the starting fixtures just add to the problems.

Dykes signing was absolutely vital to us having any chance, so there is that glimmer. Smyth may be OK, but I hope we don't re-sign Martin and Balogun.

I will be pleasantly surprised if GA is still our manager by late October and we aren't in the bottom three.
Anyone else getting a bit apprehensive? on 11:15 - Jul 8 with 6455 viewsLogman

I share your apprehension. I'm worried about, what seems to me, to be an obsession with not paying over the odds for players and religiously pursuing emerging players within the lower price brackets. It's all very well having a premier training facility and a crack team of performance coaches/conditioners but if we continue to fill it with senior players who are beyond their best and young players who are not good enough then no matter how good the facilities we will not compete with the other Championship teams.

Additionally, it is incredibly unlikely that we will get off to such a good start this season and have 30 points in the bank by October for when a poor run of form undoubtedly sets in. We should have prioritised having a fit-for-purpose squad now (which we clearly don't have). If we continue in the same vein as the last 9 months then things will totally implode.
[Post edited 8 Jul 2023 11:18]
Anyone else getting a bit apprehensive? on 11:34 - Jul 8 with 6361 viewsessextaxiboy

Not apprehensive at all really .
For the first time I renewed on the very first day . I was critical of Ferdinand over his last couple of years and he has gone .
Dickies form and confidence was shot for a long period and he has gone .

We lack pace and Smyth has signed full of confidence from last season .

A new young full back signed with something to prove

I have been critical of Dykes but his effort and resolve last season and his potential worth under a new contract makes it a good deal IMO .

A new start for Richards and maybe ...Clark Salter . Good players in theory anyway

As it stands we still have Field Chair Willock and Paal , a couple more lower league permanents and a couple of loanees and we will be there IMO .

My main concern is that because of the fckin stupid decision to delay the pitch work Ainsworth could be under more pressure earlier than deserved .

I am not one who "wants to be entertained " I want to win games without cheating or shthousery using any tactics formation or personnel . That is the criteria I will judge him on .
Let him get on with it with a team tactics and ethos he has built ...is my opinion
Anyone else getting a bit apprehensive? on 11:35 - Jul 8 with 6355 viewsNov77

My expectations have never been lower, dreading the start of the season.

Whenever I hear Ainsworth’s name I have a Pavlovian response, I think “gone by October”.

Peter principle. Promoted to a level beyond his competence, and all the Pavarotti videos and Hakka’s in the world won’t change that.

Poll: December goal of the month - vote for your favourite R's goal during December

Anyone else getting a bit apprehensive? on 11:40 - Jul 8 with 6328 viewsenfieldargh

Cheer up sad lads, we are qpr and you should be used to ups and downs and deeper downs by now.

I've sucked it up since 1967!!!!

captains fantastic
Poll: QPR V BURNLEY WIN DRAW DEFEAT

Login to get fewer ads

Anyone else getting a bit apprehensive? on 11:43 - Jul 8 with 6289 viewspaulparker

The Transfer window has a while yet
Apart from Leicester no one has done a great deal of activity so far so I don’t get the panic
I’d rather trust Ainsworth with our small bit of poppy than Ferdinand , If we can get a few battlers in with a bit of experience then I think we will be ok
Long way to go yet , we have a manager& assistant who cares who knows lower league players
And will do what he can to keep us up
Dieng & Dickie hardly coveted themselves in glory last year so let’s see who we get in to replace them

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Anyone else getting a bit apprehensive? on 11:46 - Jul 8 with 6282 viewsstevec

Think we were meant to be doing this in League One this season until the EFL belatedly put a banana skin under that option.

I’d be comfortable with what we are doing if that had happened but bringing Smyth and the Algerian fella in to transform our fortunes in the Championship feels bizarre.

Still, a month to go.
Anyone else getting a bit apprehensive? on 11:52 - Jul 8 with 6260 viewsTomMorgz7

Anyone else getting a bit apprehensive? on 11:43 - Jul 8 by paulparker

The Transfer window has a while yet
Apart from Leicester no one has done a great deal of activity so far so I don’t get the panic
I’d rather trust Ainsworth with our small bit of poppy than Ferdinand , If we can get a few battlers in with a bit of experience then I think we will be ok
Long way to go yet , we have a manager& assistant who cares who knows lower league players
And will do what he can to keep us up
Dieng & Dickie hardly coveted themselves in glory last year so let’s see who we get in to replace them

Middlesbrough look like they might be going for it too...
Anyone else getting a bit apprehensive? on 11:58 - Jul 8 with 6232 viewsHOOPNO7

I will give it 10 games before I pass judgement. It depends who we bring in. If Balogun gets a contract then I will start to worry a little bit
Anyone else getting a bit apprehensive? on 12:17 - Jul 8 with 6143 viewsGloucs_R

Depends what the final score is today 😁

Poll: Are we staying up?

Anyone else getting a bit apprehensive? on 12:38 - Jul 8 with 6057 viewsLblock

I get the apprehension.....

Dickie and Dieng sold below their "true" value due to their form BUT.... I can't help thinking that maybe these two (and some others) had to go due to attitude and discipline.

I have no idea what players are being referred to when Clive makes reference to some party boys more concerned about their Private table being available in Reign on a Saturday night but I get the feeling Senny was one. There's been rumours of Dickie bad mouthing Critchley in public and liking a few too many beers in the locals post match. Maybe these two had to be weedled out no matter the cost?

What is totally bizzare is a club that shouts loud about the DoF model now not having one whilst actively planning for the new season. Absolute madness.
Nothing at this circus will change until the ownership does and I cannot see a scenario where that happens without the place going formally bust first.

Being safe in this division by the time the first week of April ticks in will be a huge achievement, I hope Gareth manages it.

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Anyone else getting a bit apprehensive? on 12:42 - Jul 8 with 6041 viewsRsinWales

Anyone else getting a bit apprehensive? on 11:34 - Jul 8 by essextaxiboy

For the first time I renewed on the very first day . I was critical of Ferdinand over his last couple of years and he has gone .

I have been critical of Dykes but his effort and resolve last season and his potential worth under a new contract makes it a good deal IMO .

A new start for Richards and maybe ...Clark Salter . Good players in theory anyway

As it stands we still have Field Chair Willock and Paal , a couple more lower league permanents and a couple of loanees and we will be there IMO .

My main concern is that because of the fckin stupid decision to delay the pitch work Ainsworth could be under more pressure earlier than deserved .

I am not one who "wants to be entertained " I want to win games without cheating or shthousery using any tactics formation or personnel . That is the criteria I will judge him on .
Let him get on with it with a team tactics and ethos he has built ...is my opinion

I'm glad you are felling OK about it all. Nice to see someone with an optimistic view of things.

Without wanting to dent what you are felling:

Smyth is a big experiment at Championship level

The young full back is incredibly inexperienced and I assume is a back-up for Paal?

Dykes looks like a 10 goals a season player which is fine, but worrying if he is our main hope

I think Richards does have real potential, so I hope he is recovered from the physical and emotional problems he encountered last year. He is also an R's fan, so hope he shines.

Clarke-Salter is someone who might also come good, but it is going to need a real turnaround in his fitness (which we achieved with Field, so fingers crossed)

With regard to the existing players you mentioned, I like them all, but they were only good enough (on their own) to just escape relegation. We really need some high quality reinforcements to support them. Willock is also a big question mark. Will we even keep him if he is not going to re-sign, and if we do there is a huge gap between that player at his best, and what we saw for the last half of the season (obviously, I hope he manages to get back to his best).

I feel that we are a long way off being ready with a couple of lower league additions. I just don't see where enough goals will come from to keep us up, let alone compete in the top half.
Anyone else getting a bit apprehensive? on 12:43 - Jul 8 with 6037 viewsDavieQPR

'Send for my brown trousers Hardy.'
Anyone else getting a bit apprehensive? on 12:52 - Jul 8 with 6006 viewsenfieldargh

Anyone else getting a bit apprehensive? on 12:42 - Jul 8 by RsinWales

I'm glad you are felling OK about it all. Nice to see someone with an optimistic view of things.

The young full back is incredibly inexperienced and I assume is a back-up for Paal?

Dykes looks like a 10 goals a season player which is fine, but worrying if he is our main hope

I think Richards does have real potential, so I hope he is recovered from the physical and emotional problems he encountered last year. He is also an R's fan, so hope he shines.

Clarke-Salter is someone who might also come good, but it is going to need a real turnaround in his fitness (which we achieved with Field, so fingers crossed)

With regard to the existing players you mentioned, I like them all, but they were only good enough (on their own) to just escape relegation. We really need some high quality reinforcements to support them. Willock is also a big question mark. Will we even keep him if he is not going to re-sign, and if we do there is a huge gap between that player at his best, and what we saw for the last half of the season (obviously, I hope he manages to get back to his best).

I feel that we are a long way off being ready with a couple of lower league additions. I just don't see where enough goals will come from to keep us up, let alone compete in the top half.

Re Willock theres all this talk of when a player is into his 3rd year of a 3yc then he will be at the point of self preservation.

This will only really effect a high value player as opposed to someone who wants to stay on.(yes there is a yr extension option)

A player with Willock's ability is known throughout the football world so he holds the cards.

So a year yr contract is really only a 2 yr one.

Lets hope he balances things up and plays football to his full potential even if for his own self esteem.

captains fantastic
Poll: QPR V BURNLEY WIN DRAW DEFEAT

Anyone else getting a bit apprehensive? on 13:29 - Jul 8 with 5875 viewsessextaxiboy

Anyone else getting a bit apprehensive? on 12:42 - Jul 8 by RsinWales

You are not the only one , I have seen posts which state that we are as good as relegated.

Not wait and see who we sign or keep or how we start or what other teams struggle ...nope we are as good as down .

I cant just give up in June or July ,but I expect the negativity to start early doors here and from those who sit around me at LR
Anyone else getting a bit apprehensive? on 13:34 - Jul 8 with 5851 viewsHAYESBOY

As it stands the squad is desperately thin.

So yes, a little apprehensive.

Smells like a trout farm in here

Anyone else getting a bit apprehensive? on 13:37 - Jul 8 with 5835 viewsJuzzie

Apprehensive?

Nope. Its the same every year. I have no control over how things will pan out so what’s the point in getting hypertension about it.

Peace & chill
Anyone else getting a bit apprehensive? on 14:02 - Jul 8 with 5726 viewsHammersmithR

I’ve resigned myself to relegation. This is the weakest squad we have had since relegation to League 1. We have signed 2 players. One is a left back who couldn’t get in the side of a League 1 team and a striker from League 2 who was released by us 3 years ago because he was not good enough for the Championship. We have resigned Bonner and Duke-McKenna who were not good enough last season. The mismanagement of the club has caused us to be in this dreadful position. The fans are doing their bit by getting season tickets but the quality on offer for the season tickets is dreadful at the moment. This squad is not good enough to stay up.
Anyone else getting a bit apprehensive? on 14:08 - Jul 8 with 5692 viewsSakura

I understand and do also feel the anxiety when you look at our current squad and flow of exits without the incoming replacements confirmed yet

But it's a huge positive how much of the clear out we have got done early.

We know for an absolute fact we need to lose no more than than £5.9m less over the 23/24 season than we did over the 22/23 season

Getting the fees in for Dieng and Dickie already and their significant wages of the books early really helps. If you say their combined weekly wage was £25k at a guess. That means the difference between selling them now or August 31st is a further saving of £300k. So that allows us to get replacements in now

Johansen, Lowe, Bonne, Roberts, Laird, Masterson, Thomas, Shodipo, Amos all off the wage bill too.

We are already at a point now where we don't need to accept a low ball offer for Chair or Field

Dykes signing his contract was a sign we are much closer to getting our accounts in order than seems to be the consensus feeling at the moment

Incomings starting to arrive by middle of next week and we can relax a bit more but I think we are managing this difficult summer well so far. Squad is very weak right now but it will look very different over the next month or so so judge it then
Anyone else getting a bit apprehensive? on 15:18 - Jul 8 with 5513 viewsBurnleyhoop

Anyone else getting a bit apprehensive? on 11:34 - Jul 8 by essextaxiboy

Agree to a large extent Essex, but some apprehension remains.

The business done so far is pretty good under the circumstances, but it still remains to be seen what happens between now and the start of the season. If Chair and Willock are still here, all the better. I’m hoping Richard’s brings something different this season, but feel we need a strong midfield presence beside Field and a better right back.

Everything about us last season was awful, attitude, behaviour and a definite feigning of injuries. I have always been a believer in getting the right culture and having strong leadership.

The problem is definitely going to be the depth of the squad. A few injuries to key players and we are bang in trouble. Keep the first eleven fit and motivated and we might be pleasantly surprised.
Anyone else getting a bit apprehensive? on 15:49 - Jul 8 with 5428 viewsMelakaRanger

Me too. And that first year in Divison 1 where we won just 3 games. Lets hope next season isnt as bad as that one..........
Anyone else getting a bit apprehensive? on 16:00 - Jul 8 with 5384 viewsQPROslo

Me too. But there is a month before the season starts and nearly 2 before the deadline assuming it's still end of August. I hope we sell Chair for enough to sort our P&S problem and bring in a few decent Championship quality players. I think Chair has already peaked, at least with the players we can put around him at our level, and can only see his value going down as his contract also winds down.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024